• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
That was great until the end, when suddenly it became weightless and lame.
I feel like ungodly large monsters terrorizing the earth moving at normally fast speeds is much more imposing and frightening than moving like molasses in the original films.

It doesn't really make sense when you think about. Just because something's large doesn't mean they're slow. Think of an elephants or rhino. They're fun to watch walking around. Have them charge at you in a burst of speed and they're scary as hell.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
As a Godzilla amateur, if this movie does really well to warrant a sequel, have they used up all of the major kaiju with this one?

There are a couple other big ones out there, but Godzilla/Kong/Rodan/Mothra/Ghidorah are some of the biggest names. The other major ones we haven't seen yet are probably a bit too goofy for a Hollywood production (Mechagodzilla, SpaceGodzilla, Gigan, etc).

If I had to guess based on this trailer, I'd say this movie is going to have a couple other kaiju show up as cameos. Perhaps they're waiting to see who of the Big 4 becomes the "alpha" - a quote that did show up in the trailer.

I'm actually most excited for Brodan. All of his clips look amazing. It looks like he's going after a human ship while Mothra is coming in to save them. I expect he'll be a neutral-ish kaiju who eventually sides with Godzilla in the final fight against Ghidorah.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Have the filmmakers given any indication that they'll be digging into any of the old mythologies around the monsters or is this just gonna be all disaster?

There are giant underwater ruins with inscriptions and even some sort of ancient lava temples in both trailers, they will go into some sort of mythology here, largely their own stuff instead of the classic origins. It seems to me that they are expanding the Mothra origin to all of the major monsters, that they are ancient gods that were worshipped by ancient civilizations. They could even go for some crazy shit like Hollow Earth people since Skull Island opened that door.

In fact, instead of spending millions licensing more Toho monsters, why not go the public domain route and have Godzilla and friends face the Old Ones lead by Cthulluh himself in the follow up to Godzilla vs Kong, the mythologies they are building are similar enough.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are giant underwater ruins with inscriptions and even some sort of ancient lava temples in both trailers, they will go into some sort of mythology here, largely their own stuff instead of the classic origins. It seems to me that they are expanding the Mothra origin to all of the major monsters, that they are ancient gods that were worshipped by ancient civilizations. They could even go for some crazy shit like Hollow Earth people since Skull Island opened that door.

In fact, instead of spending millions licensing more Toho monsters, why not go the public domain route and have Godzilla and friends face the Old Ones lead by Cthulluh himself in the follow up to Godzilla vs Kong, the mythologies they are building are similar enough.
Kong is last movie they have rights for. :/

Unless Toho wants to hype up yearly japanese Godzilla movies with a Japan GZ vs American GZ somehow

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Godzilla amateur, if this movie does really well to warrant a sequel, have they used up all of the major kaiju with this one?
latest

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Might be sped up for the trailer. Still looked epic.
I feel like ungodly large monsters terrorizing the earth moving at normally fast speeds is much more imposing and frightening than moving like molasses in the original films.

It doesn't really make sense when you think about. Just because something's large doesn't mean they're slow. Think of an elephants or rhino. They're fun to watch walking around. Have them charge at you in a burst of speed and they're scary as hell.

I dont believe its the speed, I believe its just a pourly done CG. Hopefully the final version looks better.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
If this movie does well enough I'd love it if they did an adaptation of the old Godzilla book (from the 90's I think) called Godzilla at World's End.

If i remember it well enough a giant pit opens in Antarctica and monsters start coming out of it like Gigan and Biollante and humans have to fly down into the earth to see where they're coming from.

Regardless of what they do next (aside from Godzilla v. Kong which we already know about), I'd kill for Biollante to be be the next monster. Seeing that on a massive Hollywood budget would be a dream come true.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Man I forgot about the licensing deal ending with Godzilla vs Kong, what a bummer. I can see Toho and Legendary being dicks in follow up negotiations.Legendary will insist that Toho stops making their own Godzilla movies and Toho will be a pain in the ass to license from, especially if you want to dig into ther Kaiju catalogue.

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of sequel monsters, of course this movie is opening with the most popular ones. Ghidorah, Monthra and Rodan. With Kong coming next after these.

After that, there are still plenty to choose from. Anguirus, Gigan and Destroyer immediately come to mind as monsters people would love to see Hollywood's take on. Of course the list goes on. Kumongo and Biollante would be well received as well.
Down the road after the series is starting to get played out they could go off the deep end for Mechagodzilla and make my dreams come true.
However I wouldn't be upset if they went with original creations in the future, as long as they're as cool as the monsters they're passing on in favor of their original creations. Gotta be cool. Hollywood already recycles enough, I might actually prefer if they start introducing new monsters instead (after doing the top 3 in this movie).
It would also be nice to see a monster or two return from this movie in the future.

And let's not forget everyone's secret favorite: Skeleturtle, the Mystery Bones of Infant Island!
DkcFebz.jpg

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Man I forgot about the licensing deal ending with Godzilla vs Kong, what a bummer. I can see Toho and Legendary being dicks in follow up negotiations.Legendary will insist that Toho stops making their own Godzilla movies and Toho will be a pain in the ass to license from, especially if you want to dig into ther Kaiju catalogue.
Togo is starting a new Godzilla series after this ends. With their own Ghidorah and Mothra solo films. I want to see Japanese audience reactions to these trailers.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Togo is starting a new Godzilla series after this ends. With their own Ghidorah and Mothra solo films. I want to see Japanese audience reactions to these trailers.

That pretty much seals the deal. This whole thing falling apart might still be worth it for the potential hilarity of a Ghidorah stand alone trilogy.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks like my childhood come to life. Stealth remake of Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster.

I hope in the next one Godzilla and Kong team up to take on Destoroyah.

Nov 2, 2017
I see what people mean by "lack of weight" in that last shot, but I can't help but love Godzilla taking King Ghidorah seriously enough that he charges at him full speed.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I dont believe its the speed, I believe its just a pourly done CG. Hopefully the final version looks better.

No, you're right. I mean just look at the shots of Ghidorahs feet or tail in the gifs two pages back.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Ignore the ott stylisation and color and its pretty clearly a cg downgrade from 2014.

EDIT:: Ofcourse the film's not out yet but still, the cgi in 2014s trailers looked much better.

giphy.gif
latest

Oct 25, 2017

There's a rule of physics (I can't remember the name) where it says something like the larger a thing is, the greater the energy requirement to move it against the force of gravity, and there comes a point where an object of a certain mass (or volume, whatever) can't be moved at all because the energy required to move it would be unattainable. Someone smarter than me who knows this shit can chime in.

Not that the actual physics matter, I think instinctively we still kinda know this, so it makes more visual sense in a movie to have these monsters move super slow to make them feel more real. A common complaint of Pacific Rim: Uprising was that the jaegers felt floaty compared to the first film because they had established a better visual sense of their weight.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, they look like they've done a better job with Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan than they did Godzilla himself. This looks really promising.