• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
Cyberpunk is doing the same thing in reverse, can't blame AMD.
No, it isn't
Nvidia's PR head of gaming technology, esports and consumer VR, Brian Burke, explained that Cyberpunk 2077 wasn't using a proprietary ray tracing implementation.
Cyberpunk 2077 uses the industry standard DirectX Ray Tracing API. It will work on any DXR-compatible GPU. Nothing related to Cyberpunk 2077 ray tracing is proprietary to NVIDIA.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Someone really thought this game was going to be the next big thing lol (Console exclusive, Epic exclusive , and RT is exclusive to AMD).

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
AMD RT is shit though. Guess they didn't want it compared to Nvidia. Just own up to it I guess? It'll be better next round

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Nvidia at least invests in R&D and creates new, groundbreaking technologies like DLSS that requires special hardware to work.

AMD just takes some standard PCI-E feature, rebrands it as "AMD Smart Access Memory" and locks it up to only Ryzen CPU's.
And then moneyhatting standard DirectX features like this only to their GPU's.

I expected better from AMD.

This is the company that instead of making DX11 Drivers better made a new api that still isn't being utlized enough even though it's good.

it's pathetic how bush league they are on drivers and software. Hopefully Su gets serious cause this ain't it.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Well, hope this is the last time we'll be seeing this kind of bullshit.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
This game is already struggling and putting a big graphical feature behind a "gpu wall" for a set of cards that were just released and low in stock doesn't help at all.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
This is the company that instead of making DX11 Drivers better made a new api that still isn't being utlized enough even though it's good.

it's pathetic how bush league they are on drivers and software. Hopefully Su gets serious cause this ain't it.

If your talking about mantle... It was the basis of Vulkan... AMD donated Mantle to be used as the basis of Vulkan and become the low overhead replacement for OpenGL...

AMD is being shitty here but they literally gave away mantle to ensure Vulkan existed... You can debate whether they'd have done if mantle really took off... But equally they didn't have to donate mantle at all when it didn't..

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
They marketed it as a feature exclusive to their 6000 series GPUs and 5000 CPUs. Nvidia is working on a solution for all types of CPUs, including AMD's 3000 series. Again, crap.

The situation is crap, I feel ya on that.

They've been doing some dumb missteps.

If your talking about mantle... It was the basis of Vulkan... AMD donated Mantle to be used as the basis of Vulkan and become the low overhead replacement for OpenGL...

AMD is being shitty here but they literally gave away mantle to ensure Vulkan existed... You can debate whether they'd have done if mantle really took off... But equally they didn't have to donate mantle at all when it didn't..

I still see it as them ditching DX11 or opengl cause they weren't great at it. Opengl had plenty of faults and so does DX11 with drawcalls but they took no effort to make drivers better which to this day never sits well with me. Doesn't mean much as I won't be getting a 6800 for sometime.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It's interesting seeing AMD make these choices.

Nvidia are massive pricks but recently they've not been so bad it seems.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Damn so I'm going to have to wait before I briefly try RT settings before disabling due to massive performance hit? Bummer.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
What's stopping AMD from enabling DXR for cyberpunk?

Cyberpunk 2077 uses DXR for ray tracing... It's enabled for all GPUs and nothing is NVIDIA proprietary...

See here: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/11/c...ing-will-work-with-amds-radeon-rx-6000-cards/

Cyberpunk 2077 uses the industry standard DirectX Ray Tracing API. It will work on any DXR-compatible GPU. Nothing related to Cyberpunk 2077 ray tracing is proprietary to NVIDIA.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well that explains why AMD gave me a copy of Godfall for buying a GPU.

I just ended up giving it to my brother-in-law instead, who I think is running a GTX 1070. Heh.

Was he able to redeem it? With the RTX 3080, you need to have the card installed to be able to redeem the code for Watch Dogs Legion thru Nvidia's Geforce Experience.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Was he able to redeem it? With the RTX 3080, you need to have the card installed to be able to redeem the code for Watch Dogs Legion thru Nvidia's Geforce Experience.

I redeemed the "coupon" that I was given via a AMD redemption tool, which then spat out a Epic Game Store voucher code. I gave him said EGS code.

Still awaiting one for WoW Shadowlands to pop up. Unsure if I'm gonna try to sell that or give it away.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I dunno. Unkindled said they don't support RT on Cyberpunk at launch which must mean they haven't enabled the drivers to use DXR otherwise what is stopping them from having RT at launch

Nothing, absolutely nothing.

I think it's just false information that Cyberpunk 2077 RT won't work with AMD.
Nvidia is not doing the same as AMD here, they said it themselves that it will work on any GPU with DXR support.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Fuck this. Not that I care about Godfall at all but this kind of thing is just shitty. AMD quickly losing any goodwill from me

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I dunno. Unkindled said they don't support RT on Cyberpunk at launch which must mean they haven't enabled the drivers to use DXR otherwise what is stopping them from having RT at launch

That article I linked discusses the fact people seem to think that AMD hardware won't do ray tracing on cyberpunk due to the Nvidia marketing.. but reveals that cyberpunk in fact is DXR and works with any GPU that supports DXR...

So seems to suggest (unless AMD have specifically said otherwise) it will work fine...

It would be a real own goal for AMD to actively disable RT for one of the biggest releases of the year when there is not reason RT won't be supported by it.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
I guess this is going to happen regularly now with multiplat games. It should be easy to do it for consoles and AMD GPUs since I suppose it'll be similar coding for both? I don't know if Nvidia's work the same way technically.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yeah it's shite but sadly something we'll have to live with I think. Games sponsored by Nvidia will get their stuff first, AMD later. And vice versa. Not the first and definitely not the last we've seen of this.

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
Paid partnership, happens all the time

True, but back in the day it was shit like PhysX when NV had an actual PhysX chip that really did do it better. Weird to see a feature exclusive to the GPU that is inferior in terms of performance when that feature is turned on.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So the Godfall devs are locking out a platform agnostic feature from Nvidia? That's a new level of shitty, and if it was done at AMD's behest then shame on them.

I had considered picking this up because it looked fairly fun from watching streams but there's no way I'll support this.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
DLSS requires Nvidia hardware by design to work, but RT does not.

Cyberpunk has RT for both AMD and Nvidia.
Yeah, I know, exclusive features aren't new to PC games is what I'm saying. So a AMD Radeon sponsored game having AMD's raytracing only doesn't seem weird to me. Not all games even support Nvidia's ray tracing, or DLSS, it's one of the reasons 2000 series cards was a bit of a not so interesting purchase, especially after the first year or so of it's launch where a meme was made of TomsHardware's "Just buy it" article.

And I'm still not sold on the performance loss/cost of raytracing. I'm waiting for at least one more generation of cards to come out, at least after AMD RDNA2's (RDNA3?) to see a more fleshed out ray tracing solution for both, and it would be enough of a buffer from the console hardware for me. I still want near instant game loading like Demon's Souls, Miles, and Ratchet & Clank PS5, so maybe some games will be out, or new PC hardware solutions by then.

Last edited:

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
A lot of people here seem to believe it's a simple toggle to implement this for both gpu-brands. Maybe it's a bit more complicated than this hence why amd will get it first since it's sponsored and nvidia later. Really don't see the problem here.

Oct 26, 2017

Only reason I can think of for AMD to hold back DXR at launch is to avoid direct comparisons with the RTX 3080. Since pretty much every reviewer benchmarks with all settings enabled, that would include DXR. From what we've seen so far, that would not turn out well for AMD at all.

So they disable, making it so reviewers can only directly compare rasterization performance, with a side benchmark of RTX 3080 DXR performance by itself. Then AMD unlocks it after launch so that it's not worth it for most reviewers to bother revisiting.

Obviously this is just my guess/speculation, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.