• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
I'm watching Lirik stream it and I agree, it looks alright. Certainly not a GOTY contender but not an awful game either.

Yeah; I'm sure a lot of folks are earnest in this thread, but a lot more just comes off as wanting to be "right" about a game they wrote off without seeing it (which realistically is the developers fault for keeping things so close to the vest - compare to the embarrassment of coverage from OUTRIDERS which looks amazing).

I'm not getting the game full price until I know how matchmaking and crossplay works and I'm OK with waiting to see some more robust user impressions.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Bought it on both platforms. If I don't like the PC version today, I'll refund it and return or sell the PS5 version. If I do, I'll decide which to keep.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Its not even the scores, it is the fact that it seems to be a "grinding for grindings sake" kind of game where combat is everything there is and you have to grind for upgrade mats and stuff...thats not my thing anymore tbh

considering the asking price i would say this is a great game to buy when it is a bit cheaper and there were a few updates already.

at this point i am weary with jumping into these kind of games, the risk is too big that there is not enough content or that it is overly repetitive, something like that.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah; I'm sure a lot of folks are earnest in this thread, but a lot more just comes off as wanting to be "right" about a game they wrote off without seeing it (which realistically is the developers fault for keeping things so close to the vest - compare to the embarrassment of coverage from OUTRIDERS which looks amazing).

I'm not getting the game full price until I know how matchmaking and crossplay works and I'm OK with waiting to see some more robust user impressions.
There is no crossplay or matchmaking. That's been confirmed in their FAQ.

Is Cross-play or Cross-save available between PlayStation 5 and PC?
Not at this time.

Is there matchmaking?
Godfall does not support matchmaking.

I could have put up with a lot but no matchmaking on a full priced game just did me in.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm glad I rented this

That's my take. Visually, this is an interesting, but not perfect, PS5 tech demo. Otherwise, it feels like the team started with a 20-min vertical slice that looked sexy as hell on an HDR panel, then had to make an entire game (and, uh, plot universe?) out of it. Rent before buy.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
To nobody's surprise, the writing was on the wall.
Just like a few notable games the past few years, when the reception is this bad before release you have to understand why.

Shame, feel like not only the game itself but the crush of other releases lately.

OP
OP
Era Uma Vez

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Wccftech has a provisional 7/10 score. The reviewer will still play through endgame and then change the score accordingly.

While not our final score for Godfall, we're reserving the opportunity to adjust the tally for Godfall based on the endgame content. If it somehow redeems the lackluster loot that players will carve through during the campaign, that number might change. Otherwise, go into this one looking for some quality swordplay and subpar swords.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
That's my take. Visually, this is an interesting, but not perfect, PS5 tech demo. Otherwise, it feels like the team started with a 20-min vertical slice that looked sexy as hell on an HDR panel, then had to make an entire game (and, uh, plot universe?) out of it. Rent before buy.
Yeah this has the rental: 1886 written all over it. Pure graphics showcase that you don't really need to spend much time with. That reminds me I should honestly pick up a used copy of the order and see how it looks on the 5 just for kicks

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
My expectations were low for this game but these reviews are still surprising. It's the quintessential launch game it seems.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Personally, I'm not surprised by the reviews the game is getting a bit. The developer of this game is Counterplay Games. AFAIK, the only game these guys have ever developed before was an indie CCG called Duelyst. As a big CCG fan myself I played Duelyst quite a bit years ago, and I always thought it was a good, well made game. But it was also about the most bare-bones game you can imagine graphically speaking, using 8 bit models for each of its cards. I also always liked the head of the studio (Keith, I think his name is), and I continue to wish them well. But I'm not sure why in the world they would ever try to make such a drastic leap as going from making an indie CCG with bare bones graphics and turn based combat to a AAA next-gen game with real time combat. That just makes no sense whatsoever. They ought to have tried something out in the intermediary stage, fine-tuned their skills as developers, before taking this much of a leap.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Throw it into the "game as a service" pile with all the rest.

We want some good single-player campaigns, devs. Not online. Not micro transaction filled.

We wanna play a game. ALONE. And enjoy it.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

We want some good single-player campaigns, devs. Not online. Not micro transaction filled.

It's not a games as a service. It has no microtransactions and the reasons you listed are not why it's reviewing badly. You have plenty of single player campaigns this is a loot game with optional co-op.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
There is no crossplay or matchmaking. That's been confirmed in their FAQ.

Is Cross-play or Cross-save available between PlayStation 5 and PC?
Not at this time.

Is there matchmaking?
Godfall does not support matchmaking.

I could have put up with a lot but no matchmaking on a full priced game just did me in.

Im baffled that the game doesn't have matchmaking. That seems so strange.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
yes, it's on the livestream rn
RMFp79l.jpg

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like the fact that this is one of the PS5 launch games is hurting it more than anything. Seems like the consensus is that it's a competent hack & slash looter (though no one really knows how the endgame is yet) but everyone wants it to be some big new thing.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the fact that this is one of the PS5 launch games is hurting it more than anything. Seems like the consensus is that it's a competent hack & slash looter (though no one really knows how the endgame is yet) but everyone wants it to be some big new thing.
That, the price, the terrible marketing up until release.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I had a feeling it might end up mediocre/bad, maybe the price will drop quickly and I'll pick it up down the road. I did watch some streams and it looks fun but $70 is a lot of money.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LOL speak for yourself, this is exactly what me and my friends have been looking for.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
They went the wrong direction with this game but since they had exclsuivity deals with Sony/Epic and some kind of deal with AMD they decided to go the AAA big budget route. I know people hate GAAS but if this game was that with what I listed below there is no doubt it would have been judged less harshly and would probably end up doing much better. This should have been the Slasher Path of Exile.

Crossplay
Free To Play
Matchmaking
On Steam and Xbox as well as Epic and PS
Cosmetic Microtransaction for Weapons and Valorplates to fund further development using this as a base to grow from instead or priced expansions.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Online-only with no matchmaking? What the hell? How is this even possible? I was interested in this game, not anymore.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Im watching a stream and the levels in this are hilarious. You follow a waypoint to a circular room and fight dudes over and over and over lol

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I think this should have been free to play like the other big online looter games like Destiny, Warframe and Path of exile. It's essentially competing with these games but cost 70 dollars and presents itself as a premium game which I don't think is the right direction for a game like this.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Curious to see how quickly this drops to bargain bin prices. Did't expect reviews to be good, but I also didn't expect them to be in the low 60s.

Kalehr

Oct 29, 2017
This may be the first time reviews have swayed me away from a game, I'm usually not too picky and worried about the price.
But the Digital being more expensive ($93.49 canadian), lackluster showings and so many other games to play at launch has just made me cancel my pre-order via PSN.

It's too bad I was really looking forward to this one, I'll probably dip in when it goes on sale for half price. Would have been good discounted launch game I think.