• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I'll give it a shot at deep sales or if it ever hits PS+. Combat seems fun enough, but I'm burnt out of grinding for loot.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
It feels like this game could have definitely benefited with a little bit more variety, like some puzzle environments and maybe some light platforming akin to something like Darksiders. I'm still on the fence though, the gameplay itself looks like great fun, but I do wonder how much longevity that will give me.

Edit: On another note, I know that this game started off as a smaller title, but then both Sony and Gearbox gave it some additional support to help push it as a next gen title. I do wonder if this was sold more like an indie game at a lower price point, if it would be received slightly better.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Was quietly hoping this game would be a surprise hit, because it's superficially right up my alley. Sounds tedious though.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame. I never had high hopes for it, but the mechanical gameplay looked decent in streams at least. Maybe we're looking at it hitting PS+ in the not too distant future.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, that's bad. I really wanted to grab this at launch for some co-op fun but at $70 given the reviews this is a hard sell :(

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Reviews are a lot worst than I expected, and I didn't expect much. Once again a game built on long-term play that holds back showcasing so much of the core aspects by launch indicates a lack of faith in their own product

Ultimetly I think they focused the wrong things and tried to do more than they could, but I do still think the game has potential and could be salvaged somewhat to be a much more attractive product in a year or so. Who's to say if they'll make it that far, especially with only being on two platforms (PS5 & EGS), having a high price of entry (70$ USD) and not having an alternate source of revenu (Though commendable, foolish). I expect it to be discounted this Holiday and included in some of the free programs (EGS, PS Plus, Xlive Gold or Game Pass)

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
Strangely, the scores make me want to skip it but reading through the reviews it sounds like what I expected and I would probably enjoy it.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Not surprising. It looked like trash when it was shown and at 70 bucks a pop, I'm going to start taking reviews into account for the first time in years.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Idk, content of the reviews has me scratching my head. Virtually every reviewer seems to agree that the combat is quite good, except for the one person that called it "sluggish, overly complicated" (the sluggish part being hilarious given the gameplay I've seen). Many of the reviewers seem upset that the game is exclusively about hitting things and getting loot, with a "meh" hardly existent story. Sounds like exactly what anybody interested in the game was hoping for/expected. Through the negative reviews, there is something pretty damn consistent: game feels good to play. That's all I needed to hear really.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone saw this coming from the first trailers. I do wonder how it will perform sales wise. Sometimes games still sell well despite poor reception.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer for the devs but we kinda saw it coming.

Should have been f2p or a PS+ freebie....charging 60/70 for it's seems crazy considering the current market.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
:(

canceled my pre-order. Will buy used/discounted at like $30 over the holidays.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Idk, content of the reviews has me scratching my head. Virtually every reviewer seems to agree that the combat is quite good, except for the one person that called it "sluggish, overly complicated" (the sluggish part being hilarious given the gameplay I've seen). Many of the reviewers seem upset that the game is exclusively about hitting things and getting loot, with a "meh" hardly existent story. Sounds like exactly what anybody interested in the game was hoping for/expected. Through the negative reviews, there is something pretty damn consistent: game feels good to play. That's all I needed to hear really.
Yeah, I'm wondering if the game is that bad based on what I saw. That said I'm probably waiting for a roadmap and/or discount before I touch it.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
on one hand I don't think the game looks particularly great
on the other reviewers, with few exceptions, usually have no idea how to score looters

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think people are being overly negative here. Warframe received the same reception, and I think this game has the potential to be similar to that. Yes there are some issues out of the gate, but there aren't many melee-orientated games like this, so I think people who want to invest in that will find something interesting here.

Warframe has a 64 on metacritic because of the score it received at the time of its launch on the PS4, yet the game has evolved significantly since then, and is played by millions. I think games of this ilk which are admittedly repetitive grindy games are often underappreciated by critics because they are not novel, or interesting with their ideas. I think that critics often forget about the substantial number of players that just play games to switch off, and play something that doesn't demand a lot of them. I think Godfall, like Warframe at the PS4's launch, caters to that, and there's still fair potential for this to be a really good experience for a certain group of players.

The only issue I have with Godfall based on the reviews, and information that I've seen, is that it's an online only game with no business being so. It's predominantly singleplayer, yet there's no way to play offline. Borderlands does it, as should Godfall. As it's being published by Gearbox, you can expected to see the servers shut offline within 2 years if it doesn't gain long-term popularity.

while i dont think its ever going to be amazing or anything, i imagine if you approach it more as a third person diablo 3 (a game with similarly lacklustre story and characterisation, bland mission objectives, repetitive gameplay and simple level design that lives and dies on it's loot system) then i imagine you'll enjoy this a bit more than if you approach it expecting the next god of war...

That's my take too.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
With Black Friday right around the corner this could become one of the fastest bombs ever. I'm expecting a $30-40 price drop soon.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are being overly negative here. Warframe received the same reception, and I think this game has the potential to be similar to that. Yes there are some issues out of the gate, but there aren't many melee-orientated games like this, so I think people who want to invest in that will find something interesting here.

Warframe has a 64 on metacritic because of the score it received at the time of its launch on the PS4, yet the game has evolved significantly since then, and is played by millions. I think games of this ilk which are admittedly repetitive grindy games are often underappreciated by critics because they are not novel, or interesting with their ideas. I think that critics often forget about the substantial number of players that just play games to switch off, and play something that doesn't demand a lot of them. I think Godfall, like Warframe at the PS4's launch, caters to that, and there's still fair potential for this to be a really good experience for a certain group of players.

The only issue I have with Godfall based on the reviews, and information that I've seen, is that it's an online only game with no business being so. It's predominantly singleplayer, yet there's no way to play offline. Borderlands does it, as should Godfall. As it's being published by Gearbox, you can expected to see the servers shut offline within 2 years if it doesn't gain long-term popularity.

That's my take too.

warframe is free to play

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think I had predicted a 68 MC, which I suppose it could get to by the end, but, yeah, I don't think anybody should be surprised by this.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
warframe is free to play

I'm aware of that.

I used it as an example of a game with a middling critical reception. Not because it uses the same monetisation model. Godfall is $70 upfront, with no MTX, which at least for me, is pretty appealing.

I do think this would do well as a free to play though. But I doubt Gearbox will shift their strategy, because they didn't with Battleborn. They took over a year to release it as a 'free trial', which fell flat in part because it wasn't a truly free version of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously it's worth waiting until more reviews are in, but the first wave of games that come in at $70 before it's universally accepted as the new price of games are gonna have that much more of an uphill climb if they don't review well.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna wait on this game like I planned. It looks like it would be fun in coop.

but to the people calling this game "next gen Ryse"...

this game looks like it has good combat depth whereas I played through Ryse one-handed while eating.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Yeah, reading and skimming through the reviews really seem to paint a different picture than a lot of these scores tbh lol.