• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
www.twitch.tv

Fextralife - Twitch

Fextralife is a gaming community & game news source fueled by a team of dedicated gamers! We play Action, Adventure and RPGs, some Survival & FPS too!. Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3 hype! Check out our 200+ Wikis, reviews on Youtube & more! This week STREAMS: BG3, Overwatch, Genshin Impact!
fextralife godfall stream soon

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
IGN's comment is what I was thinking Godfall would be like from the previews. Remaining optimistic though.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
www.twitch.tv

Fextralife - Twitch

Fextralife is a gaming community & game news source fueled by a team of dedicated gamers! We play Action, Adventure and RPGs, some Survival & FPS too!. Elden Ring, Baldur's Gate 3 hype! Check out our 200+ Wikis, reviews on Youtube & more! This week STREAMS: BG3, Overwatch, Genshin Impact!
fextralife godfall stream soon

It's up now, game just started

EDIT: He's playing with KB&M? I guess that's why it's the camera shakes so much

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
Yeah, kinda what I was dreading/expecting from that IGN comment. Makes sense when you see all the gameplay videos and the lack of overall information regarding story presentation. Still though, looks fun - hope the gameplay makes up for any shortcomings.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
First review is out, EGM gives it a 4/10: https://egmnow.com/godfall-review/

I don't know if Godfall was rushed out the door to meet the PlayStation 5's launch, or if it didn't get enough playtesting, or if Counterplay had to make the best of a project that wasn't coming together the way it should have. Maybe I just had a stretch of extraordinarily bad luck.

But even if Godfall had run flawlessly on the PlayStation 5, I'd have a hard time recommending it to any early adopters. There's the germ of an interesting game here, but for all the ambitions to start a new genre at the start of a new generation, Counterplay built something that plays more like a forgotten title from the PS2 era: overly complicated, cumbersome, and ignorant of so many of the design advancements of the past two generations.

Was always the least compelling of all the launch games to me personally, but didn't expect it to be this underwhelming. Curious about other reviews.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 copy hard crashed last night so I don't even have a review in progress written yet. Was level 30 and mostly done with the campaign but never was able to touch the multiplayer, towers, endgame, etc.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ouch that voice acting...Honestly after watching some gameplay in Arekz vid, I think there's a good chance this comes for free for PS+ subs or on EGS one year down the line.
I guess it could be fun in coop but at the current price entry it's just not worth it for me so might as well wait.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
Asides from this, we have AC Valhalla, Miles Morales, Demon's Souls... We're not exactly short on great action adventure games at the moment. I think I may cancel my pre-order and swap it for Sackboy, but I'll wait for some more impressions first.

nocontent

Dec 29, 2017

First review I've spotted. It's not mentioning many negative points I've read in this thread, instead praising the combat which I thought was somewhat dull from the videos I've watched.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
This is 8.5 that's good enough for me
www.godisageek.com

Godfall review

Godfall is a massive surprise. It borrows combat from God of War and has enough loot to make Diablo blush. It may look garish but it's well designed and has that "one more go" factor.

Edit: beaten. But still a good score.

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Can someone confirm something for me- if you switch to one of the more 'feminine' armors, does Orin's voice changed? I could have sworn it did in some videos.

EDIT: Yeah I think so, Orin has a female voice in the Phoenix armor.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
This is 8.5 that's good enough for me
www.godisageek.com

Godfall review

Godfall is a massive surprise. It borrows combat from God of War and has enough loot to make Diablo blush. It may look garish but it's well designed and has that "one more go" factor.

Edit: beaten. But still a good score.
That's a very good review and focuses on what the game sets out to be. If you want a story-driven game with deep lore and character focus, then it's not the game you want.

Best Quote about Godfall:
"it's not ashamed of what it is, and it does what it intends very well, and because of all of that, it's one of the biggest surprises of the year."

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The niche this is filling is a PS5 game to play with my friends and family picking up PS5. I guess I'm ok with mediocre scores given there are no other online coop options at launch.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
That's a very good review and focuses on what the game sets out to be. If you want a story-driven game with deep lore and character focus, then it's not the game you want.

Best Quote about Godfall:
"it's not ashamed of what it is, and it does what it intends very well, and because of all of that, it's one of the biggest surprises of the year."
Yup. Not looking here for a ton of story, just a go to game I can hop on with buds once n a while.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like it makes the mistake of many similar games and focuses the gameplay around the combat so anything outside of that feels lackluster. Really wish games like this would make traversing and exploring the world in between battles as fun and interesting as the battles themselves.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
The big question is which valour plate is everyone going to pick first?

For me it's definitely going to be Vertigo.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I didn't review Godfall, as I only received the review code on Monday, but the game isn't bad. It has some rough edges and the combat could be tweaked a bit more, but it's far from bad. The main focus is combat, finding weapons, upgrading and repeating that grind. Some of it is RNG, other is grinding to get those resources.

I'm rather enjoying it.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
it will be like Fallout 76, waaaaaay better than reviews suggests, especially after some patches.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't review Godfall, as I only received the review code on Monday, but the game isn't bad. It has some rough edges and the combat could be tweaked a bit more, but it's far from bad. The main focus is combat, finding weapons, upgrading and repeating that grind. Some of it is RNG, other is grinding to get those resources.

I'm rather enjoying it.

That's about what I assumed, itll have some rough edges that hopefully get worked out with patches, but otherwise be a decent game.

What you posted is what I want from the game so works for me!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The big question is which valour plate is everyone going to pick first?

For me it's definitely going to be Vertigo.

Haven't decide yet, they all look cool but none have the stats that really peak my interest

Maybe Greyhawk for the Soushatter build up? Sadly none of the armor seems to be polarity focused.

(There is one that is weakpoint focused- if I'm running with a polearm that might be nice as well)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I'm rather enjoying it.
I expected it to be pretty much at worst an average game, and thats enough for me. Good and competent at what its strengths are and not game of the year stuff lol. So for me that scratches a good itch.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I mean the reviews are out. You can't really blame this on a bias any longer. The game looked mediocre and the previews remained purposefully vague, so people assumed the worst, and it turns out they were right.

I'm literally looking at the game being played right now.

It's not really janky, it's not really buggy, it's not extremely flawed in any way.

The combat is no DMC, but it's certainly not any worse than Genshin Impact's level.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm literally looking at the game being played right now.

It's not really janky, it's not really buggy, it's not extremely flawed in any way.

The combat is no DMC, but it's certainly not any worse than Genshin Impact's level.
People expect every game to be AAA and the GoTY its like even average to decent games are still good for certain people, it doesnt need to be 10/10 to be fun. Just competent at what its doing, even with its flaws. Its more than likely going to get mixed reviews but also means it will resonate with people as well. 7-8 /10 is where I expected it to be and its more than likely going to be there with certain outliers of some critics hating it and some loving it.
the problem with sites like metacritic is that they just do a simple weighted average instead of removing outlier reviews to get what the true consensus of a game would be.