• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I mean aside from graphics, it really doesn't have anything particularly going for it. And graphics are the part of games that always age the hardest and fastest.
That's on you, ive kept following this game and the devs behind it, they are a small team of like 80 people(thanks to sony) vs 30 people and they have a lot more things than just graphics going on with this game if you actually look into what they are looking to create with this game.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Yeah, at least Avengers seemed like a good idea when it was originally announced, even if Crystal Dynamics flubbed it as badly as they did in execution.

This is just a less creative version of Warframe, and they already have Warframe. That money could've gone toward more first party projects.

Yeah, a first party western RPG or FPS would be my choice from Sony over a deal like this.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why I thought this was a first party game. Hopefully comes on Gamepass one day

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You really think it will review well? I would assume it would be middle of the pack reviews, maybe a bit higher because its a Launch game.

This isn't me knocking it as I am actually interested in the game.
Yes, ive been reading dev interviews, watching damn near all game play videos, and lore videos. The Dev just launched a discord server for users. This is their only game they are working on and the dev has had previous success in the past with a card game called duelyst. A lot of people will be surprised how this reviews they really seem to care a lot about the game and with a small tight team I believe it will be a good game. I'm not saying game of the year stuff, but a competent well put together game that allows for a good amount of re-playability. On top of the fact they aren't monetizing the game and going a traditional PC route with expansions etc. It hits all the marks for me.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I feel like the Bethesda acquisition has given Sony carte blanche to pull these kind of deals. If they're going to do it, maybe dream a bit bigger than Godfall, though.
This is mostly a joke, don't go apeshit on me!

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I could see this going F2P after a year or so...to me it has a severe F2P vibe.

I don't know if I see that, but it seems like one of those games that will be $15 on sale at least once every couple months on every digital storefront for the rest of the generation. Probably a PS+ title within the first year too.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Gearbox did good here. Whatever Sony paid them will be more cash than Godfall's lifetime sales generate on Xbox

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I'd really like to see more exclusivity periods like this.

It's a reasonable amount of time that generally soaks up all of the launch window excitement. And it will be on sale on the first console by the time it hits the other, so it will have residual benefit there as well.

That said, I'm thinking the reality is that you probably pay $10X for a year of exclusivity, and $8X for six months, and so platform holders figure the incremental cost is worth it.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
I still don't understand the point of time exclusivity really. Its either full exclusive or not at all. If I am an Xbox owner only, I am not gonna buy a ps5 to play a game coming 6 months later on my system. Why waste money ? Even if there are 10x of those games . I am still not buying the other system. I'll just get them in 6 months or so .
Maybe if it was 2 years ? Then yeah that's probably a long wait for me to wait. But 6 months ? Lol no
I guess many people will simply not read the fine print and believe it's a permanent exclusive.

Years ago, a friend of mine who's a veteran PlayStation gamer bought a copy of Assassin's Creed Syndicate on PS4 and he swore to me that the game was a PS exclusive.
Just because there was this sticker on the cover saying "Playstation Exclusive"... except this was for a few DLC missions, of course lol.

He didn't read past the huge "Playstation Exclusive" title and it sold him even more on the game (he's quite the fanboy, actually).

Oct 25, 2017
why exclusivity on this...?
Nobody is goin to buy a console just for this. This game looks like the most boring of all the launch titles.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Well Sony funded the game and took it from Indie to a full AAA title. Given it's a launch title, 6 months seems sufficient, though I was kind of expecting a year exclusivity. Timed deals like this are fine if it means smaller games get funding.

If Sony funded the game why they have Gearbox Publishing as a publisher, they took Epic Games moneyhat for one year and it's launching on other platforms after 6 months?

Gearbox Publishings is the one funding tbe game and publishing it on all platform, Sony and Epic Games paid the publisher to have the game on their platforms for a period of time.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Gearbox? Sony funded this game and Gearbox came on board to publish.

This is the PR when they announced the game
"We're thrilled at Gearbox to have been chosen by Counterplay Games to bring their creative vision of Godfall to gamers on the PlayStation 5 and PC," Gearbox Publishing boss Steve Gibson said. "As we continue our mission to entertain the world, Godfall is a perfect fit with Gearbox Publishing. Playing with your friends and gearing up are some of the things we love most."

PlayStation 5 gets Godfall looter-slasher from Gearbox Publishing

earbox Publishing and developer Counterplay Games have just made the first official PlayStation 5 game announcement: Godfall. This is a loot-based action game with a focus on melee combat.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony funded the game why they have Gearbox Publishing as a publisher, they took Epic Games moneyhat for one year and it's launching on other platforms after 6 months?

Gearbox Publishings is the one funding tbe game and publishing it on all platform, Sony and Epic Games paid the publisher to have the game on their platforms for a period of time.

It was a 3-way agreement. Godfall devs met with Sony at GDC, then Gearbox. Gearbox people knew Sony people and they all got together to make this happen. Sony eventually funded the expansion of the game into it's current AAA form.

venturebeat.com

How Counterplay Games approached Godfall for PS5 and PC

Keith Lee, CEO of Counterplay Games, described the journey from small indie game company to making a PlayStation 5 launch title, Godfall.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It was a 3-way agreement. Godfall devs met with Sony at GDC, then Gearbox. Gearbox people knew Sony people and they all got together to make this happen. Sony eventually funded the expansion of the game into it's current AAA form.

venturebeat.com

How Counterplay Games approached Godfall for PS5 and PC

Keith Lee, CEO of Counterplay Games, described the journey from small indie game company to making a PlayStation 5 launch title, Godfall.

This is weird. If they funded the game why they don't own the IP and publishing rights?

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
This is weird. If they funded the game why they don't own the IP and publishing rights?

Because Counterplay owns the IP? Godfall existed as a smaller game before. They just funded it so it could grow. And as for publishing? Who knows why they didn't but this could just be a relationship they're building with Counterplay and Gearbox. Sony doesn't have to publish it if it's perceived to be an exclusive at launch I guess.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
It's actually funny to see that no one asked question about the exclusivity regarding this title... Because most people don't care for it 😂😂

Gooner

Oct 15, 2020
I always thought it was known to be a timed exclusive game, since February I was seeing people talk about it as being one.
The trailers have said it as well before today.

Xavisavi

Jun 6, 2020
Sony messaging being horrible once again. I really don't like these deceptive messages.

I'm a Sony guy, I've had all Playstation consoles and I think they have done great in late PS3 and with PS4, but something changed with PS5 (the console is awesome but a lot of good things that they are saying have also a dark side). Don' know if it has to do with Jim Ryan or what.

Nowadays, even with all its faults I'm starting to like more Xbox messaging than Playstation's.

I know business is business but...

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Its funny to me how some people shit on this game, especially now lol. But whatever its going to review Really well. I'm pretty sure of it. sony made the right choice to get the game early and making the playstation the lead platform for the game.
I mean I really hope it turns out to be a good game. I'm sure me and many other people would enjoy more good games on the PS5 but based on everything we've seen so far looks pretty mediocre.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, wish it had been made clearer that it was coming to Xbox too, luckily hadn't bought it yet, but was planning to.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I mean I really hope it turns out to be a good game. I'm sure me and many other people would enjoy more good games on the PS5 but based on everything we've seen so far looks pretty mediocre.
I was shitting in the game for months until I actually looked into it the last month +. It's shaping into something very good. imo and I was not a believer on it but everything I see from the dev, their past history, extremely in depth lore, and they play systems and endgame they have with it on top of this not being a game trying to get your money via MTX and a traditional expansion track makes the game very appealing to me. i get it people see gearbox (who is only publishing they do not own the dev) and the game being an early next gen game. But I truly believe it's something special from what I'm seeing.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Sony messaging being horrible once again. I really don't like these deceptive messages.

I'm a Sony guy, I've had all Playstation consoles and I think they have done great in late PS3 and with PS4, but something changed with PS5 (the console is awesome but a lot of good things that they are saying have also a dark side). Don' know if it has to do with Jim Ryan or what.

Nowadays, even with all its faults I'm starting to like more Xbox messaging than Playstation's.

I know business is business but...
How is mentioning exact time of exclusivity deceptive? You can get game now on PlayStation or wait 6 months for Xbox version

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird they'd actually say that in their promo material lol. I'd expect this kind of thing on a blog post or something from the publisher that got paid for the exclusivity period.

Xavisavi

Jun 6, 2020
How is mentioning exact time of exclusivity deceptive? You can get game now on PlayStation or wait 6 months for Xbox version
There's a difference between mentioning the exclusivity time from the let go than doing it one week before launch. That's my criticism. I'm criticising their opaque messaging in various things (believe in generations, PSVR ...and this). Making believe one thing when the reality is a bit different.

In fact I do not like exclusivity deals, I prefer that multiplatform games can be played by everyone from the start. It's only their overall messaging on some things this year that's not good IMO.

But I do not want to derail the topic, sorry.

The game looks good and is great that all next gen owners will be able to enjoy it one time or another

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Well Sony funded the game
Gearbox? Sony funded this game and Gearbox came on board to publish.
Because Counterplay owns the IP? Godfall existed as a smaller game before. They just funded it so it could grow. And as for publishing? Who knows why they didn't but this could just be a relationship they're building with Counterplay and Gearbox. Sony doesn't have to publish it if it's perceived to be an exclusive at launch I guess.
The interview reads more like Sony fast-tracked them (maybe providing an early dev-kit, sharing details of the platform, etc.) so they could be ready for PS5 launch, than "Sony funded the game".

The publishing situation and the EGS exclusivity don't really add up otherwise.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
The interview reads more like Sony fast-tracked them (maybe providing an early dev-kit, sharing details of the platform, etc.) so they could be ready for PS5 launch, than "Sony funded the game".

The publishing situation and the EGS exclusivity don't really add up otherwise.

The interview literally mentions "funded"? I'm not sure I read that the same. They said they started as a small indie studio, got the attention of Sony who funded the expansion of the game. That doesn't sound like just dev-kits etc.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, much like Ghost of Tsushima if they nail the combat it could be pretty dang solid. Ghost did for sure, we'll see with Godfall.

The issue for most people is the raise in price, is this game worth $70 dollars? If you take Canada as an example the base game is $93 dollars, that is a lot of money for a game which may not be a home run.