• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Like a pebble dropping into water, barely a ripple.

Looter/slasher doesn't sound appealing (there's way too many looter games already) and the design is unappealing. Not seeing this becoming a big thing.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Our next AAA title is a loot-driven action RPG with third-person real-time melee combat. It's a Looter-Slasher played better together with friends.
Drawing upon brand-new high fantasy IP written by Hugo Nebula award winners, Godfall is developed in Unreal Engine 4 for exclusive release on PC and next-gen Consoles

by the sounds of it a 6 month to a year exclusive..
Might as well be lifetime console exclusive.
Good luck getting people excited a year after the new consoles have launched.
6 months might already be a tough sell unless the post-launch-window release calendar looks barren.
Not trying to shit on the game. I really like the gameplay gif but I still think the might be a hard sell after its exclusivity runs out (if it even does at all).

Like a pebble dropping into water, barely a ripple.

Looter/slasher doesn't sound appealing (there's way too many looter games already) and the design is unappealing. Not seeing this becoming a big thing.

I'd agree if this was a looter-shooter, but looter-slasher sounds great to me.
If this manages to make me feel even 1% of the fun I had with Phantasy Star Online, then it's already a big success in my books.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well be lifetime console exclusive.
Good luck getting people excited a year after the new consoles have launched.
6 months might already be a tough sell unless the post-launch-window release calendar looks barren.
Not trying to shit on the game. I really like the gameplay gif but I still think the might be a hard sell after its exclusivity runs out (if it even does at all).

A looter type game should have been a game to announce and blow everyone away with cross play again and the features involved in that especially as I don't see it having pvp

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
ezgif.com-resize.gif

Can we maybe thread mark this, or add it to the OP?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will play the shit out of this if it's even remotely good. I love looter games but prefer melee/fantasy over shooters.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Looks fine to me, Slasher/Looter has my interest. I can't believe people are comparing this to Hellblade though, not even the same type of game and one is 3rd party and the other is 1st.

Aug 26, 2019
I can dissect little things from the trailer. The character with white hair has really bad hair tech, blocky hair with squary intersections not moving great. In the first seconds of the trailer you see some off-screen RT reflections on the ground. They are blurry which means they are using low samples but using sharpening to enhance it. This means the game is 60 FPS and not 30 FPS otherwise they could have used full resolution.
I thought I was the only one that noticed how bad the hair looked. It was literally floating on top of their armor.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): concern trolling
The first PS5 game announced and seen and it can't get 10 pages yet....not a good look.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like it could be really decent.

So this is exclusive to PS5? Why?

Probably just something they snapped up to bolster their launch line up. Just as Warframe was last gen to begin with. It gets the dev more attention as well. Hence why they might have been keen to get the first reveal, ahead of what other bigger stuff may be coming.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not exclusive to PS5, coming to PC on EGS too. Seems Sony and Epic have good relationship so some games go here and there.
I'd wager it was PC always and Sony secured console exclusive rights. Epic is just a follow on from Borderlands and probably was decided well before Sony grabbed their version. No real idea why you'd limit a looter shooter to one storefront though, going to be dead as doornails.

Oct 31, 2017
Not exclusive to PS5, coming to PC on EGS too. Seems Sony and Epic have good relationship so some games go here and there.
I was just wondering. Is this a case of Sony being in bed with Epic and releasing a Playstation exclusive on PC?
Or is it more a case of Gearbox *continuing* their relationship with Epic, and releasing a title that was already supposed to be a multiplatform as partial exclusive?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'd wager it was PC always and Sony secured console exclusive rights. Epic is just a follow on from Borderlands and probably was decided well before Sony grabbed their version. No real idea why you'd limit a looter shooter to one storefront though, going to be dead as doornails.
I was just wondering. Is this a case of Sony being in bed with Epic and releasing a Playstation exclusive on PC?
Or is it more a case of Gearbox *continuing* their relationship with Epic, and releasing a title that was already supposed to be a multiplatform as partial exclusive?
From the Counterplay Games website: https://www.counterplaygames.com/about-us
Drawing upon brand-new high fantasy IP written by Hugo Nebula award winners, Godfall is developed in Unreal Engine 4 for exclusive release on PC and next-gen Consoles.
The bolded is their doing, not mine. If I had to guess, this is a Sony moneyhat to secure (timed) console exclusivity.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Looks like it could be really decent.

So this is exclusive to PS5? Why?

From my experience in the industry, sometimes the explanation is far more simple:
- This game is being developed by a small indie team and thus, a decision needed to be made to focus on certain platforms first
- Gearbox, while publishing, may not have super high sales aspirations for this, so they do not want to spend money porting a game that may not land the way they want to.
- Both the developer and the publisher needed marketing help, and Epic and Sony were willing to do so in exchange for the 6 month exclusivity.

This happens in the game industry all the time, I do not see why this situation would be any different. Hell, the game a lot of people are comparing it to, Warframe, did the slow rollout too.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
That sure looks like Unreal Engine Game.

If someone told me this is new Paragon Game (remember that?) I would believe them.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I find it absolutely weird that this is the first PS5 game we got a trailer for despite no unveiled PS5... this is weird compared to last gen.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I find it absolutely weird that this is the first PS5 game we got a trailer for despite no unveiled PS5... this is weird compared to last gen.

This happened last console transition as well, with Watch Dogs, Star Wars 1313, among others.

It also technically happened with the Switch with Dragon Quest XI.

It's fairly normal.