• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iddshane

Dec 2, 2017
There's this quick glimpse of gameplay so far
ezgif.com-resize.gif
I mean shouldn't those particles be ray traced. This is not a good start to next gen imo. So much wrong with this gif. It looks like a free to play current gen PC game.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I mean shouldn't those particles be ray traced. This is not a good start to next gen imo. So much wrong with this gif. It looks like a free to play current gen PC game.
GPU particles tend not to be ray traced at all - in any engine. Whether that is for their collision or for their showing up or affecting game lighting, such as being visible in reflections.

They are completely ephemeral basically - for all games.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Man, i love launch/early gen games, even when they are not interesting or not my cup of tea they have still that charm of being the first rhing you see about the future.

Iddshane

Dec 2, 2017
GPU particles tend not to be ray traced at all - in any engine. Whether that is for their collision or for their showing up or affecting game lighting, such as being visible in reflections.

They are completely ephemeral basically - for all games.
I'm no expert, so I thank you for this explanation. I guess I was expecting too much.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Comparisons between this game and Hellblade 2... :|
One of those games is in-engine and made by a famous studio with lots of experience. Another is gameplay from a studio that only made a card game before!

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
And here i am thinking the teaser was pretty great.

Probably have to see more at the PS5 reveal for a solid impression.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not bad to have it as a timed exclusive. just like destiny 2 partnership with ps4.

sony studios make grand single player games mostly, so partnering with a multiplayer looter game as launch exclusive seems like a good idea.
i also expect first party exclusive games gfx to look even better as mentioned in the thread already...

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have zero doubt the ps5 is gonna have some insanely great looking games and the first wave of launch titles are traditionally not that big a leap visually but even with all that said this looked pretty wak, weird choice for first ever ps5 footage
when Knack was the first PS4 game revealed, why even complain lol turn in your gamer card

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

That actually looks pretty nice. If this runs at 4k60 then I'll be incredibly impressed.
Hopefully they prioritize the fps and make some resolution cuts if they have to.

This reminds me of God of War X Destiny. I wouldn't mind that at all.

/edit: I love that this is planned to be a launch title. Console launches can be a little barren so if this has some replayability due to the nature of its genre, this might be the perfect game to bridge the draught after the initial launch window. The ability to play this coop makes it even better.

Also, the fact that they haven't really planned any post-release content so far makes me think that this won't be a GaaS type deal. If you're developing a GaaS type game then your post-release roadmap should exist a year before launch.

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
This really does look like some kind of mix between Anthem and Warframe. If it can get the loot aspect and gameplay right then I might give it a go. Haven't thoroughly enjoyed any loot games aside from Destiny in a long time (BL3 was decent and Division 2 was just meh).

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony really hit it out of the park with this being the first PS5 game announced 🙄.

Hellblade looks like a different gen.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I like the art, but with the caveat that I also liked Too Human.

A loot game is a perfect launch game with meat on its bones, and it will be competition free until the first next gen Diablo/MonHun/Borderlands/Destiny.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
How can some of y'all judge whether individual particles are raytraced from a 5 second gif of a 4k/60fps video?

Did I miss this class?

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
I think Gearbox would be wise to make this a "Warframe" f2p next gen launch title like how that released f2p on PS4 launch day.

Sony really hit it out of the park with this being the first PS5 game announced 🙄.

Hellblade looks like a different gen.
How is a Gearbox published game a Sony game?

Also you're probably looking at a 60 fps game vs a 30 fps game.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Looks neat, but coming off that Hellblade trailer was not a great look to show off PS5
Not sure how some of you guys think. Not picking on you directly even though I'm responding to you. This is on PC and PS5. The company showed their trailer and announced it is. Was this a Sony reveal? No it wasn't.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
For everyone saying this 'wasn't a Sony reveal', there is no way a game advertised as definitely not being on Xbox and switch and definitely only on PS5 and PC (at least for now, presumably 4eva) is revealed without Sony's approval, surely.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
As an old geezer who doesn't really care about graphics and power, I don't really see the benefit of the uber powerful hardware. I mean, it looks nice Technically, but I don't have the "WOW !" effect that a new generation brings...

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
For everyone saying this 'wasn't a Sony reveal', there is no way a game advertised as definitely not being on Xbox and switch and definitely only on PS5 and PC (at least for now, presumably 4eva) is revealed without Sony's approval, surely.
Sony announced the PS5 in writing already. Unless there is a specific NDA for devs so that they can't mention the PS5 without Sony's explicit approval, then Sony has absolutely no say in this matter.
It's a third party dev with the game being published by a third party. This was not a Sony reveal.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Sony announced the PS5 in writing already. Unless there is a specific NDA for devs so that they can't mention the PS5 without Sony's explicit approval, then Sony has absolutely no say in this matter.
It's a third party dev with the game being published by a third party. This was not a Sony reveal.

And the fact it's on PS5 only, out of all the consoles, is not suggestive of Sony being a tad more involved than this might suggest?

Just strikes me as weird.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
On first watch the trailer didn't look mind blowing. The gameplay gif on the other hand looks better than anything on current gen.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
And the fact it's on PS5 only, out of all the consoles, is not suggestive of Sony being a tad more involved than this might suggest?

For all we know this could be Gearbox's doing.
Hell, some insiders said the Series X dev kits weren't as ready as the PS5 dev kits. Maybe they had no other choice than to go with the PS5.
Of course Sony is involved in some capacity. They at least approved them for PS5 dev kits.
I would agree with you if this was the first game that was shown on Sony's stage during their PS5 reveal but I'm pretty sure that spot will be reserved for some true eye candy.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is embarrassing. For one, if this game had the name of a popular IP, I'm sure the tune would be different. Secondly, imagine being the developer and hearing people trash your game because it doesn't look "next gen enough." Y'all are losers, for real.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

i think it's just a matter of standard practice you really aren't supposed to 'announce' a game before the console unveil. i'm almost certain this is X series/PS5/PC multiplat and PS5 was their safest way to say "next gen" to get in slot in the VGA (which may have been too early and kinda not worth it, judging from the reaction)

but see where it goes i guess

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like one of the early gen snoozers that we'll all play because there is nothing else.. except this time I don't think that will be the case.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017

Our next AAA title is a loot-driven action RPG with third-person real-time melee combat. It's a Looter-Slasher played better together with friends.
Drawing upon brand-new high fantasy IP written by Hugo Nebula award winners, Godfall is developed in Unreal Engine 4 for exclusive release on PC and next-gen Consoles

by the sounds of it a 6 month to a year exclusive..

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like one of the early gen snoozers that we'll all play because there is nothing else.. except this time I don't think that will be the case.
Pretty much, the last time a launch game blew me away was Halo, otherwise pretty generic garbage as devs don't know how to properly use the tools yet.