• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is now a precedent for $70 games on console, when Sony priced their first party stuff that high it gave others the go ahead, that's not the case on PC, it's pretty simple.

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
Why not? In my country PC games are always cheaper than console games. This is nothing new for me.
That's more due to PC game stores having a stronger regional pricing policy than console stores. On PC, the games can be cheaper (than US without tax) in certain countries depending on the store. On consoles, usually it's the US Price without tax the one that is like a base one and then other countries are equal or higher in price (maybe depending on region, don't know if Japan for example is cheaper or more expensive)

edit: You know what? I'm lying. Nintendo actually has some decent regional pricing too some times. Not too sure about Xbox and PS, but even then I think regional pricing on PC stores is more "aggresive"

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020
Future consoles where they drop the disc drive completely are gonna suck so much. Prices will always be this high with no other way of purchasing the game. I believe Sony have already stopped third party retailers selling digital games as of last year.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
$79.99 on EGS for me here while $93.94 on PSN. So much for passing on those savings from not having to have to produce discs lol but who were we kidding. Savings are never passed down to the consumer.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
lol at people being like "we've happily been fucked for years".

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Got no problem waiting for a Godfall price drop. That PS5 tag is too rich for me, and GAAS games tend to improve a lot the first few months.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
i'm still debating if it is worth getting the gold armor by paying 40 more dollars for the ascended edition. I kinda want to try this purely out of nextgen hype. It does look good visually. But I kinda want that expensive edition armor lol. Anyway to know if it is all in the game late game.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
PC £49.99 on EGS UK ($66.89), PS5 £69.99 ($93.65)
£20 or $26.76 difference

Its the biggest gap I've ever seen in the UK between console and PC.

Feb 15, 2019
lol at people being like "we've happily been fucked for years".

Pointing out things have been like that for years in other places does not mean people are happy about it.

I'm not buying shit on PS5 except for exclusives. Likely my PS5 will be used for like 10 games in total. If Sony thinks I'm gonna pay extra for a worse version then they're crazy.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
i'm still debating if it is worth getting the gold armor by paying 40 more dollars for the ascended edition. I kinda want to try this purely out of nextgen hype. It does look good visually. But I kinda want that expensive edition armor lol. Anyway to know if it is all in the game late game.
Nah. The gold armor and weapon skins are only for ascended edition. same for the preorder skins.

Jeepman87

Sep 16, 2020
It takes some balls to launch a new 3rd party timed exclusive IP at $70. Let's see the reviews...

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also on that "games have been cheaper on pc" train since it used to be that way for a long while. Just think of it like Nintendo Tax/or hell Atlus tax on Nintendo lol.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
epic.jpg
sony.jpg

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
In the US at least, if you want something cheaper you have to get it from somewhere like GMG or CDKeys to get the best price. If you buy a AAA game at launch off Steam, UPlay, whatever it will be $60.
For me (EU) PC games (AAA) are always 60€ (except from Microsoft). PlayStation games 70€ and this new gen 80€ as it seems. Godfall is indeed 60€ on Epic store and 80€ on PlayStation store.

Yeah, alternative shops for PC keys is a great advantage for even cheaper games.

My last purchase for PC was 48€ (AC Valhalla) directly from Ubisoft with 20% discount code from Ubisoft coins.

Game prices is one of the main reasons why PC is my main platform.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I don't think it's a storefront tax or a prior obligation, I think it's as simple as them thinking the 70$ price point on PS5 will make up for lost sales to generate more revenue since the Next-Gen hype yields limited player base anyways and more focus on the few games that are available.

That being said PC Digital games are consistently cheaper than the Console counter-part, though not as often for the launch store price when not counting rebates (Which are more common on PC)

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does this game even have crossplay? I completely forgot it was on PC as well.

Jun 23, 2019
Yeah if you release digital only consoles, remove the possibility to buy the games anywhere else, have singleplayer games that require always online, you can then price hike because there's no competition anymore. I missed the first batch by a hair and am getting a PS5 as soon as pre-orders are available again, but it's kinda bizarre how they're doing an Xbox One and get pretty much zero pushback.

Because this has nothing to do with Xbox One and their online only scheme. Even trying to make the comparison is bizarre.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
But you don't pay a license fee for pc games. Console manufacturers have to make money on a subsidised machine, that doesn't happen on pc.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
That's console tax for you. Paid $52 for COD from GMG whereas the next gen console version will run you $70.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This $70 new game thing is just dumb as hell. I know, I know, "gAmEs ArE cHeApEr tHaN tHeYvE eVeR bEen!"

Wages haven't really grown much and in-game purchases, MTX, etc. have grown to the point that companies are making BILLIONS of dollars off of them. I'll never understand consumers cheering on getting nickel and dimed with no apparent benefit on their end.

Console gamers are getting screwed, what a bummer.

Rant over. Sorry. I love you, Era.
I mean, the only people doing the 70 dollar MSRP are Sony and Activision right?

Fuck that noise.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
I'm the only province (might be wrong) that actually has taxes on digital purchase. GMG doesn't apply those taxes. So with that and the 15% off, I got 20$ off the original price

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
This was already mentioned a while ago all ps5 games are being pushed at $70.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Game better review well is all I'm saying.
If it doesn't it will be DOA. They have done a really poor job showing off the game and engaging the communities concerns. We've yet to see any co op gameplay. Being stuck on EGS on PC and 70 dollars on PS5 if the reviews suck the game is dead.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I always argue that PC gaming is cheaper in the long run.

Also no need for Gold/PS+ if you want to play online.

Retail market does not tolerate pricing digital games differently than brick and mortar. Pc is digital only and on epic games store and with using ue 4, they get the highest margins possible iirc. Also, it's easier to exploit console folks than PC. People that pay to play online will pay for anything basically. That's like charging for oxygen.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Shit like this honestly makes me wonder if walled gardens are fair? If Sony was forced to allow other marketplaces in their store, prices would likely be more competitive. Same across the board.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Because this has nothing to do with Xbox One and their online only scheme. Even trying to make the comparison is bizarre.
How so? I get that Godfall is unique in its online only implementation. For now at least, but Sony explicitly allows it and has icons for it. Not trolling here, as said I don't have a skin in the game, I have / am getting all three consoles, genuinely would like to know why trying to make the comparison is bizarre.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Dying? Its not a GAAS or any multiplayer only content.
An online only (even when playing alone) game published by Gearbox with supposedly new content updates? That's a GAAS for me even if they don't charge for those content updates. But I'm often wrong, what can I say.
Also, I don't trust Gearbox. But that's a different matter.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
This is completely normal, pc games normally are obtainable around 45€ here in europe on launch. Sony/Nintendo/MS take additional 10 bucks on top of the 30% (not too sure about the values but I think it was around that). You also need to pay for devkits, certification etc. which are a non issue on pc.

Just recently some greedy publishers started asking ridiculous console prices despite pc being significantly cheaper and easier to publish and develop than on any other platform.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
An online only (even when playing alone) game published by Gearbox with supposedly new content updates? That's a GAAS for me even if they don't charge for those content updates. But I'm often wrong, what can I say.
Also, I don't trust Gearbox. But that's a different matter.
Oh they are charging. They are just going the paid expansion route rather than the free content paid for microtrasactions route. I agree the game can definitely die. It can sell like crap get it's one promised Expansion and end there.