• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
How in the world has Godfall of all things become a poster boy for next gen hardware on two platforms?

On the bright side, this is the first time I've seen footage where it sustains 60fps for more than three seconds. The PS5 version better have a performance mode, because that frame rate is always looking rough.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
How in the world has Godfall of all things become a poster boy for next gen hardware on two platforms?

On the bright side, this is the first time I've seen footage where it sustains 60fps for more than three seconds. The PS5 version better have a performance mode, because that frame rate is always looking rough.

To me it seems like they worked on the graphics and performance last. Even watching the video from the State of Play in August, the game has taken immense strides both graphically and performance wise.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I still have no idea what the gameplay is going to be like here, the footage/gifs is all them pummeling on enemies with little back and forth.

Looks kind of like a God of War or Darksiders in terms of moveset? but a more fleshed out DMC/Bayo sort of skill tree? with a looty drops?

Actually getting hyped thinking about it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I still have no idea what the gameplay is going to be like here, the footage/gifs is all them pummeling on enemies with little back and forth.

Looks kind of like a God of War or Darksiders in terms of moveset? but a more fleshed out DMC/Bayo sort of skill tree? with a looty drops?

I think thats it. from interviews with their CEO it sounds like they were trying to find a middle ground between two extremes.

OP
OP
Anastasis

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

edit: Shared last page. I think this is the clearest picture we may have of what the game will be like.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
anyone else worried about that "We are so excited to bring Godfall to you this holiday season." Uh is November 12 considered Holiday season?

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
PC version looks better than what ive seen on PS5 so far

The Japanese PS5 footage from over a month ago looked pretty good and they were still polishing the graphics so we don't really know what it will look like. That being said, it would'nt be a surprise if a 6800XT beats out a PS5. Would be expected actually.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
The Japanese PS5 footage from over a month ago looked pretty good and they were still polishing the graphics so we don't really know what it will look like. That being said, it would'nt be a surprise if a 6800XT beats out a PS5. Would be expected actually.
I would be surprised if it keeps up with the 6800 tbh

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
So Sony helped fund the growth of the dev studio so that they become a poster child for DX12U and various RDNA2 features that PS5 doesn't have (probably). I don't get it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I would be surprised if it keeps up with the 6800 tbh
right lol if it does thats crazy. also this game will be a good benchmark to they system and features vs DX12 Ultimate
So Sony helped fund the growth of the dev studio so that they become a poster child for DX12U and various RDNA2 features that PS5 doesn't have (probably). I don't get it.
they are an AMD partner, the AMD pieces use all of that

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018

Sony doesn't care about any of that, they just wanted the game on PS5 and for it to support the Sony features that likely replace the DX12U and RDNA2 features. The PS5 must have something going on because honestly the Japanese footage looks pretty close to that AMD footage.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Really excited to play this (thinking on PC) will be focusing on dual swords. Really hope it will have support for the PS5 controller haptics on PC.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
From my understanding the PS5 doesn't have all the features, and based on that video they didnt name all of them either, No mesh shaders, no SFS etc.

OP
OP
Anastasis

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it would be too heady to have a Nietzsche quote for the OT. Making something plural from the famous quote:
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

edit: Maybe an abbreviation?

Godfall |OT| holiest and mightiest, bled to death under our knives

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
...been seeing conflicting messaging. Is Godfall a console exclusive, or timed console exclusive? Lots of folks who I follow for the Division seem stoked on this, just wondering if I should have my hopes up for an xbox port at some point?

OP
OP
Anastasis

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
...been seeing conflicting messaging. Is Godfall a console exclusive, or timed console exclusive? Lots of folks who I follow for the Division seem stoked on this, just wondering if I should have my hopes up for an xbox port at some point?
Great question! The last couple Playstation Youtube videos do end with "limited time" afterward. I had assumed it was console exclusive until you had asked.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
663886_godfall_screen1_1260x709_0.jpg

663886_godfall_screen5_1260x709_0.jpg

663886_godfall_screen2_1260x709_0.jpg

663886_godfall_screen8_1260x709.jpg

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
When this was announced the raytracing was for reflections right? Has there been any info on why its changed to shadows? Or can you have both now?

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
When this was announced the raytracing was for reflections right? Has there been any info on why its changed to shadows? Or can you have both now?

They've never given details about what graphics tech they would be using. Hoping for some good co-op footage and journalists getting some hands on over the next week because there simply isn't enough shown of the game yet.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I've mentioned a few times on this board, but I'm really pulling for this game to turn out well! A melee, skill based looter is like dream game of mine.

Avengers let me down so I'm hoping this turns out!

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
First screenshot of multiplayer...ever?

With the graphics how they will be at release, I believe so. I think the game's marketing is heavily tied in with AMD as well as Sony so they might have been hamstrung by those sorts of obligations. Also most of the development of this game was done by 30 people and the AMD liaison told me they were a joy to work with and they did incredible work so I really am hoping it turns out good.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Serious shame there's no DLSS support for this one.

I hope AMD's Super Sampling tech opens the door for all games to support both. What a world that would be.
right hopefully opens the support up when there is parity.

With the graphics how they will be at release, I believe so. I think the game's marketing is heavily tied in with AMD as well as Sony so they might have been hamstrung by those sorts of obligations. Also most of the development of this game was done by 30 people and the AMD liaison told me they were a joy to work with and they did incredible work so I really am hoping it turns out good.
everything im reading about the team, I want this to win. venture beat article on them sold me on it.
venturebeat.com

How Counterplay Games approached Godfall for PS5 and PC

Keith Lee, CEO of Counterplay Games, described the journey from small indie game company to making a PlayStation 5 launch title, Godfall.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
everything im reading about the team, I want this to win. venture beat article on them sold me on it.
venturebeat.com

Keith Lee, CEO of Counterplay Games, described the journey from small indie game company to making a PlayStation 5 launch title, Godfall.

Yes, I read the interview and I've seen Arrekz's interviews with the devs and they seem genuinely like good people and that they understand looters, but it's hard to convince people about Godfall when they've mostly only shown footage from the tutorial mission and no co-op footage. I will say I'm glad now that they've shown exactly how the game looked no matter what state it was in because it looks gorgeous now, but a few months ago it looked pretty bad. Unfortunately this is a double edged sword because websites keep using the old footage and that leads to people mocking the game. The next week or so before release is a crucial timeframe for this team. They need to get videos out there or have people playing so there's positive impressions.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, I read the interview and I've seen Arrekz's interviews with the devs and they seem genuinely like good people and that they understand looters, but it's hard to convince people about Godfall when they've mostly only shown footage from the tutorial mission and no co-op footage. I will say I'm glad now that they've shown exactly how the game looked no matter what state it was in because it looks gorgeous now, but a few months ago it looked pretty bad. Unfortunately this is a double edged sword because websites keep using the old footage and that leads to people mocking the game. The next week or so before release is a crucial timeframe for this team. They need to get videos out there or have people playing so there's positive impressions.
I think word of mouth will propel it

OP
OP
Anastasis

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
venturebeat.com

Love that interview. These are devs serious about the craft and don't mind flying under the radar. But the multiplayer is worrisome, at least for launch. They talk about the challenge of developing during COVID and then:
Testing multiplayer was even harder, because there's almost no way for us to test a day-one launch on a new console in multiplayer.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
Love that interview. These are devs serious about the craft and don't mind flying under the radar. But the multiplayer is worrisome, at least for launch. They talk about the challenge of developing during COVID and then:

Yeah they can't afford to launch like Avengers. A co-op focused game absolutely must have working multiplayer and it must be hassle free. They will be crucified if it isn't and it sucks because it really is a tough situation developing during covid.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
When's the Mini-Direct for this game? I still have no idea what this game is about a week from launch.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
We've pretty much seen and read what the game is about already. The only thing missing is how well it runs, how much content there is, and some technical stuff like lobbies, crossplay etc.
I really think they could go in to more detail about the overall structure of the game and general gameplay loop though. Like we know it has a campaign focus but is it like a linear DMC style campaign, or like does it have a mission hub where you take on levels in an order you like? How exactly does co-op work? Is there a social hub or is it just straight drop in drop out? Things like that. Maybe that's stuff that's been touched on in interviews but they could really use like a gameplay overview video that lays that stuff out and actually shows us.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still wishing for Epic ID crossplay cause that's the only thing that will make The Epic only release on PC sting less. Games just have no visibility on there. Pretty sure a lot of twitch people will give it a fair shot.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah they can't afford to launch like Avengers. A co-op focused game absolutely must have working multiplayer and it must be hassle free. They will be crucified if it isn't and it sucks because it really is a tough situation developing during covid.

I want to say they will be okay since that duelyst game was totally online only And sounds like it ran well.

Elog

Oct 21, 2020

There is really a misconception regarding the PS5 and 'missing' features. The PS5 doesn't miss anything - the question is what Sony took off the shelf from AMD and what they have customised. It is kind of a weird discussion to be honest.

On-topic: This game really starts to be a good poster-boy for next generation graphics. Would never have thought that after the first look. Looks really good!

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
There is really a misconception regarding the PS5 and 'missing' features. The PS5 doesn't miss anything - the question is what Sony took off the shelf from AMD and what they have customised. It is kind of a weird discussion to be honest.

On-topic: This game really starts to be a good poster-boy for next generation graphics. Would never have thought that after the first look. Looks really good!

Reading the posted interview it seems like the studio's philosophy was to iterate on gameplay and systems and work on graphics last. That would explain how it went from looking pretty bad to really good over the last few months.

OP
OP
Anastasis

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Launching on PC Epic with Gearbox backing, I wouldn't think there would be too many issues with servers and multiplayer. PS5 launch and MP activities (as shown in UI video) as millions of PS5's come online at once? Fingers crossed! I just hope there isn't constant error screens like when Diablo 3 launched.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
I really think they could go in to more detail about the overall structure of the game and general gameplay loop though. Like we know it has a campaign focus but is it like a linear DMC style campaign, or like does it have a mission hub where you take on levels in an order you like? How exactly does co-op work? Is there a social hub or is it just straight drop in drop out? Things like that. Maybe that's stuff that's been touched on in interviews but they could really use like a gameplay overview video that lays that stuff out and actually shows us.

Yeah, I wish they'd show us a good chunk of "vertical slice" gameplay, incorporating storytelling, combat, upgrades, loot and maybe ending it with a boss fight or something. Everything we've seen is so fragmented at the moment. Don't get me wrong it looks great, but the overall impression feels a bit empty so far.