• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Clearly they have a tiny marketing budget. Recent footage looks way better than even the footage we saw in August. I feel like there's a crazy amount we haven't seen yet. Just hoping it reviews well and people give it a fair shot. If a small studio is able to put out something better than Anthem or Avengers with just 3 years of dev time we should be rewarding that type of effort.
I think, even back then, the footage itself wasn't terrible. But whenever I think about this game I keep thinking about it as "That game with the dull narration it in EVERY video" Even just with a straight gameplay video I think it would have been better.

Hopefully it gets a good player base. Honestly, that pricing is still an issue. I didn't care for the beta stuff I played of Anthem or The Avengers but at least when they were released, they did only cost around £40 and not the £65-£70 that this is going for. Hopefully it survives for longer and I can dip in when that price drops.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I'm also interesting in co-op.
I plan to play the game solo for the best challenge and then play together with friends to tackle endgame-content.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I know people are looking forward to this game, but I just don't get it, every bit of gameplay they've shown has been utterly mediocre. Godfall looks like a fake videogame a from a T.V. show. It looks like a licensed game for Warcraft the movie.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know people are looking forward to this game, but I just don't get it, every bit of gameplay they've shown has been utterly mediocre. Godfall looks like a fake videogame a from a T.V. show. It looks like a licensed game for Warcraft the movie.
I believe there's a decent amount of ex Blizzard folks at Counterplay so, they certainly could have been inspired by Warcraft'd art style.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I am warhammers all the way.

The Surge 2 has had (imo) the best hammer gameplay of any action game so far, let's see how this one measures up.

I'm also wondering when the PC system requirements are going to drop. I'm hoping my 9700K + RTX 2080 can do 120fps @ 1080p.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia

"fake video game from a T.V. show". woof. Why the hate, tho?

e26.jpg

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
"fake video game from a T.V. show". woof. Why the hate, tho?

e26.jpg
I don't hate it, that's the thing. I'm genuinly stumped that of all the games people are hyped for it's this one. It 100% looks like the type of middling-average game that's bandwagoning the hot new genre/design that people would clown on. Like, if I searched "fantasy knight" I'm pretty sure something approximating Godfall would show up. Add to that the genuine self identification of "looter-slasher"... I mean this thing looks and sounds like someone was attempting to make a parody of a videogame in 2020.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
I mean this thing looks and sounds like someone was attempting to make a parody of a videogame in 2020.

Interesting statement. I get what you are saying tho. But which game is innovating right now and not a parody of itself or other games? Every game follows a formula. I'm not defending this game, I'm in the fence about it. I've read about the game, the people that made it and I think that is a neat experience.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Interesting statement. I get what you are saying tho. But which game is innovating right now and not a parody of itself or other games? Every game follows a formula. I'm not defending this game, I'm in the fence about it. I've read about the game, the people that made it and I think that is a neat experience.
Yeah it's so weird how people are going so hard against it.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I don't hate it, that's the thing. I'm genuinly stumped that of all the games people are hyped for it's this one. It 100% looks like the type of middling-average game that's bandwagoning the hot new genre/design that people would clown on. Like, if I searched "fantasy knight" I'm pretty sure something approximating Godfall would show up. Add to that the genuine self identification of "looter-slasher"... I mean this thing looks and sounds like someone was attempting to make a parody of a videogame in 2020.
The amount of people hyped for this is not the majority by any means so its not like everyone is waiting for it. But even if it were... Let people like what they want.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Yeah it's so weird how people are going so hard against it.

Yep, It is sad that people want this game to fail so hard when it is made by top tier developers in the industry. So a new IP for a new console that uses all its advantages, especially the haptic controller is generic but then you see games like AC a really formulaic game filled with MTX and people are thrilled because this time "we play as a Viking".

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
The amount of people hyped for this is not the majority by any means so its not like everyone is waiting for it. But even if it were... Let people like what they want.
I guess I'll use this to pivot then and ask, what is it about this game? What's its appeal? To address the post above me, I 1000% agree on AC, that anyone is excited for what is essentially another expansion on Origins, which itself is a pretty clunky collage of popular open world design from the past decade, boggles me.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't think most people are hyped for this game based on post counts of this thread compared to miles, demon souls, etc.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
No one really needs to pass your interrogation on why they are interesting in Godfall.

You're obviously not looking to be swayed. Just leave it alone.
I'm sorry if it came off as an interrogation, I was being genuine. I get the criticism of people coming into threads to complain about a game and I didn't want to just do that, so I was curious what people were looking forward to about Godfall. I'm not looking to be swayed, but that doesn't mean I don't want to understand why others are interested in it.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I guess I'll use this to pivot then and ask, what is it about this game? What's its appeal? To address the post above me, I 1000% agree on AC, that anyone is excited for what is essentially another expansion on Origins, which itself is a pretty clunky collage of popular open world design from the past decade, boggles me.

Just give it a rest lol.

Some people are obviously looking forward to it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yep, It is sad that people want this game to fail so hard when it is made by top tier developers in the industry. So a new IP for a new console that uses all its advantages, especially the haptic controller is generic but then you see games like AC a really formulaic game filled with MTX and people are thrilled because this time "we play as a Viking".
Yeah it has a interesting take with what they are going for pretty much a sword/weapon combat game with loot. The amount of lore they are going for is pretty dope it's a high fantasy take on this and how all the valorplates align with the zodiac I really like that. They also apparent got this guy doing lore coverage. Pretty cool.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I want it to be a good hack and slash, I want it be a good coop game, I want it to be better than it looks cuz it ain't looking so hot.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I dislike in principle anything with a Gearbox label, but I will say this game looks fun and simple, a nice alternate game in between DeS sessions.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Dark souls type combat and diablo 2 style loot. That's just something that sounds like what I've wanted forever. However I see more apprehension than hype surrounding this game. I think most people want it to be good but something about the presentation hasn't sold them yet. I'm in that camp. I desperately want to wait a week or two and see how people feel about it before jumping in.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Dark souls type combat and diablo 2 style loot. That's just something that sounds like what I've wanted forever. However I see more apprehension than hype surrounding this game. I think most people want it to be good but something about the presentation hasn't sold them yet. I'm in that camp. I desperately want to wait a week or two and see how people feel about it before jumping in.

From everything they've talked about the combat, it's more GoW (2018) inspired than Dark Souls inspired.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
From everything they've talked about the combat, it's more GoW (2018) inspired than Dark Souls inspired.
I was just going by the quote....

" Devs wanted a mix of the skill needed for Souls with the loot and rpg aspects of Diablo. "

But yeah It def looks faster than dark souls which is fine. They seem to have added some type of skill to it. I think if anything scares me about this game it's how much I grew to dislike warframe and destiny. Warframes combat literally puts me to sleep and their worlds got so repetitive to explore in both gameplay and aesthetically and dame for Destiny. But the gameplay here seems so much better as does the customization and loot.

Is this an Epic ID game? Or will it have it's own account system? I want to see what's in that social tab we keep seeing.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I'm really curious about how this game'll be received. From what I've seen it seems like fun combat limited to simple arenas with loot. I think for my personal taste I prefer a good balance of exploration with intricate level design/ enemy placement and exciting combat like in the souls games, but I'm definitely willing to give this game a shot if it's received well.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
I'm sorry if it came off as an interrogation, I was being genuine. I get the criticism of people coming into threads to complain about a game and I didn't want to just do that, so I was curious what people were looking forward to about Godfall. I'm not looking to be swayed, but that doesn't mean I don't want to understand why others are interested in it.

For me, my buddies and I are looking for a co-op game with good loot and a fun gameplay loop. We play other games like warzone, but there aren't that many co-op loot games out there. Especially not quality ones. If this game is at least solid, it'll be a good game to scratch that itch and it's a PS5 launch title from a mostly unknown studio so there's a bit of intrigue there as well. The art style doesn't appeal to everyone, but the devs listed inspirations of fantasy novels and their history at Blizzard kind of explains why they went in that direction.

Oct 25, 2017
People like melee action games and people like loot. This is the first game to marry this style of melee action with a Destiny-style loot treadmill. Call it parody or fake video game all you want but it's not like there are a bunch of other games just like this right now.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
That's pretty appealing to me on paper, but I would say that the souls games and diablo 2 have a lot of infrastructure around them to support those systems, like level design, how easy it is to farm, how interesting the end-game loot is, build variety, etc. After watching that video they released on their grid system and gear, I'm pretty skeptical about their loot system/build mechanics.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Is it a full price game ? I'm interested in it just haven't kept up with it much tbh

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
I'm really curious about how this game'll be received. From what I've seen it seems like fun combat limited to simple arenas with loot. I think for my personal taste I prefer a good balance of exploration with intricate level design/ enemy placement and exciting combat like in the souls games, but I'm definitely willing to give this game a shot if it's received well.

I think this is a very valid viewpoint. Quite frankly the game hasn't been marketed all that well so far. I mean one of it's major selling points is co-op and we haven't seen a single second of co-op gameplay. At the same time when you realize how small the team is and the difficulty of even testing multiplayer with PS5 devkits in this covid environment, I can kind of see why the marketing has taken a backseat. Footage wise, a great deal of development took place in the past year. The graphics alone have improved massively. When they let the Japenese players play, there was one that was kind of decent and that's what sold me on the game, because after the first tutorial boss, the areas seem to be semi open with enemies that present a good challenge.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty appealing to me on paper, but I would say that the souls games and diablo 2 have a lot of infrastructure around them to support those systems, like level design, how easy it is to farm, how interesting the end-game loot is, build variety, etc. After watching that video they released on their grid system and gear, I'm pretty skeptical about their loot system/build mechanics.
It's really a wait and see for me at that price. Again i like the sound of it but I'm def not sold quite yet.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Yeah it has a interesting take with what they are going for pretty much a sword/weapon combat game with loot. The amount of lore they are going for is pretty dope it's a high fantasy take on this and how all the valorplates align with the zodiac I really like that. They also apparent got this guy doing lore coverage. Pretty cool.

Yes I dig a lot the zodiac stuff because remind me of Saint Seiya.

Look at this video too

Ex Libris

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I am slowly but surely coming around on this game. The end game rogue like thing looks super fun, and the interview Arekkz did that goes in depth on some of the mechanics makes it seem super fun.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Sick, those weapon gifs are awesome. I hope the combat system has a good amount of variety. If so, I can get into this for sure.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Inspirations for game were Monster Hunter World, Diablo, and Souls games. Devs wanted a mix of the skill needed for Souls with the loot and rpg aspects of Diablo. They feel like combat is most similar to Monster Hunter World because it has strong emphasis on both gear and skill.

Other than the MHW comparison the first part is basically Nioh.