• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
png-clipart-yakuza-3-tekken-7-kazuma-kiryu-kazuya-mishima-others-video-game-formal-wear.png

I just started Yakuza 3 remastered and what is this thing? Why are his eyes so weird? Why is his clothes so baggy? Why are his proportions off? Why are his side burns so gross? What is this running animation? I knew going from Kiwami 2 to 3 was gonna be rough but I was clearly not ready. I don't think I even wanna do any side quests because I don't wanna look at these characters. Do I really have to wait until Yakuza 6 to get hot Kiryu back?

Also do they really just write off Sayama? What the hell was the point then? Could they not handle Kiryu having a girlfriend? I liked her.

And who got shot? I had to step out for a bit and missed it because for whatever reason a remaster of a PS3 game doesn't allow you to skip or even pause cutscenes.

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought the Remaster Collection (with 3, 4, 5) today. Thank you for the image so I will be ready for this when the time comes. I still need to play through Kiwami 2.

Oct 27, 2017
Kiryu's model in 3 is so awful. Especially the hair style. So god damn bad.

As for Sayama, I believe they did that so Kiryu can date hostesses and stuff. Which is dumb if true cause Yakuza 4 introduces multiple characters and 6 didn't really need dating as much as it needed better combat and returning mini games.

Another factor that I suspect is the writer who said Kiryu is a virgin. Not sure if he actually believes this shit or joking though.

Oct 28, 2017
His clothing is likely to reflect Yakuza stylings in 2007. Suits look funny if you go back in time. Just check out the stylings of NBA suits 2000-2010. Also this is the first "HD" game after PS2. Man looks pretty normal to me, a really striking stare but he's seen some shit.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
The sideburns are the only thing that really seem different though? Maybe its because I've been following the series since long before the dragon engine games, but this is Kiryu's default look to me. He looks weird af in Kiwami 2 & 6 as far as I'm concerned, his proportions are different to every other game in the series.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Everything in yakuza 3 is rough as hell even in the remaster. He does progressively start to look better in 4 and 5.

Also try not to pay attention to any of the walking/running animations because they're hilarious.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure they scanned the actors' faces during the Ps3 era

43530.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Yakuza 3 now has the oldest graphics since 1 and 2 were remade, so it stands to reason that it would look the roughest. Also, at the time it was a low budget game pretty much.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I assume this thread is mainly tongue in cheek. Anyone silly enough to avoid side content in 3 because of how Kiryu looks is going to regret it. Seriously, if you avoid side content which gives you oh so valuable moves and copious XP, your next two follow up posts will be "why cant I do anything in combat" and "chases are unfair, no I didn't bother leveling up"

And no, I dont think Kiryu looks too bad in 3. Its a game that's over a decade old at this point. Plus if we want to complain about Kiryu models - how about Kiwami 2 and 6's which just makes him look strange (6 de ages him compared to his amazing look in 5... and Kiwami 2 is basically just 6's with a tweak or two).

So yeah. RGG5 Kiryu > all. It gives him a better look compared to 3&4, and actually makes him look his age (plus bonus points for making him look older/exhausted which is perfect for the plot).

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I assume this thread is mainly tongue in cheek. Anyone silly enough to avoid side content in 3 because of how Kiryu looks is going to regret it. Seriously, if you avoid side content which gives you oh so valuable moves and copious XP, your next two follow up posts will be "why cant I do anything in combat" and "chases are unfair, no I didn't bother leveling up"

And no, I dont think Kiryu looks too bad in 3. Its a game that's over a decade old at this point. Plus if we want to complain about Kiryu models - how about Kiwami 2 and 6's which just makes him look strange (6 de ages him compared to his amazing look in 5... and Kiwami 2 is basically just 6's with a tweak or two).

So yeah. RGG5 Kiryu > all. It gives him a better look compared to 3&4, and actually makes him look his age (plus bonus points for making him look older/exhausted which is perfect for the plot).
I agree with most of this, except Yakuza 0 Kiryu is the best, IMO. They got his look just right there and 80s style clothing is quite amusing.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The side burns are fine. It's that little patch on his chin that bugs me. Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6's Kiryu are more offputting though. He has really beady-looking eyes in that because you can't see his irises., and at many angles he's barely recognizable as Kiryu.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

I am still not sure what they were thinking when they de aged him in 6. Not just him but Majima and the others too.

Majima looked great in Dead Souls. He still had the dark eyes and looked way older like he should be. Not to mention his crazy personality fit perfectly with his deranged look.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with most of this, except Yakuza 0 Kiryu is the best, IMO. They got his look just right there and 80s style clothing is quite amusing.
Eh, I dont mind 0s, he looks great. A good, younger version of Kiryu. But I adore 5's Kiryu so he takes the top spot to me. Just be glad I dont post an essay about how much I love the original PS2 design for Kiryu in 1/2!

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Look a tight suit would restrict movement and you can't have that when you're swinging bicycles at people and have you ever gotten tailored they like breathe on your crotch while they're down there measuring your legs and it's really awkward and like he grew the wolfman sideburns because someone pointed out to him that he could and he was like you know what i've never done that before i think i'll try it and clearly he has no stylistic taste this is why rich people hire stylists but he doesn't have time for that he has a creepy beach shack with like 30 kids he has to take care of

Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest issue I had with 3 and 4 + DS Kiryu is his side burns looking weird from the back. Reminded me of Munakata and I hate it.

This can be seen in the combat transition scenes.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly have no problem with it other than the size of his hands as well as how his iconic suit seems to bulk up even more of his muscle. Besides that I think it's a good model.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Eh, I dont mind 0s, he looks great. A good, younger version of Kiryu. But I adore 5's Kiryu so he takes the top spot to me. Just be glad I dont post an essay about how much I love the original PS2 design for Kiryu in 1/2!
2 was a great game. I don't dig all the changes in Kiwami 2 personally. Mind you, its still good, but I enjoyed 2 more. My favorite Yakuza games go 0, 2 and the rest :).

Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to Kiwami vs OG, the cutscenes have been downgraded. Especially in 1. Kiryu looked angry as hell all the time while the PS2 one had more expressions.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
yakuza 3 is pretty goofy visually in many ways - my favorite is how cartoony civilian npc's are, especially the hunched over old people, their animation is just ridiculous

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
2 was a great game. I don't dig all the changes in Kiwami 2 personally. Mind you, its still good, but I enjoyed 2 more. My favorite Yakuza games go 0, 2 and the rest :).
I've soured on the remakes over the years. Initially I really enjoyed them (that "new RGG" smell!). But after replaying the originals, and comparing what's in, what's out, and what's changed between them... I just prefer the originals for sure. I still enjoy the remakes though, Im too harsh on them but I'm more than happy to replay them (especially on PC with better FPS and music mods!). I' had planned on replaying 2 and Kiwami 2 in parallel this year, but Lost Judgment then cropped up so I've replayed Judge Eyes instead, with me ready for LJ later this month now!

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I've soured on the remakes over the years. Initially I really enjoyed them (that "new RGG" smell!). But after replaying the originals, and comparing what's in, what's out, and what's changed between them... I just prefer the originals for sure. I still enjoy the remakes though, Im too harsh on them but I'm more than happy to replay them (especially on PC with better FPS and music mods!). I' had planned on replaying 2 and Kiwami 2 in parallel this year, but Lost Judgment then cropped up so I've replayed Judge Eyes instead, with me ready for LJ later this month now!
I was also planning to replay 1&2 on my PS2 (still having weird glitches on PCSX2 after all these years), but yeah, Lost Judgement is going to take that time :).

That said, I also liked the remakes. There are still great games just especially 2 doesn't quite hit the same highs (also 1st Yakuza had truly hilarious dub). Yakuza 0 though is my favorite game in the series.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything in yakuza 3 is rough as hell even in the remaster. He does progressively start to look better in 4 and 5.

Also try not to pay attention to any of the walking/running animations because they're hilarious.

The way old people walk in this game is hilarious. I think so much of Sonic 06 when I see it.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, my initial impression of Kiryu, going into this from Yakuza Kiwami 2 was also very negative, but after a while, it grows on you. For one, Kiryu is getting kinda old by 2009. He's in his (late?) 40s, considering he was early 20s in Yakuza 0, which played in the late 80s.
The side burns just feel like him no longer caring as much about his looks any more. Overall I think he looks more like a father figure in this game, which fits very well with his role in the story, what with taking care of an orphanage and only reluctantly (as always) going back to Yakuza stuff.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I was also planning to replay 1&2 on my PS2 (still having weird glitches on PCSX2 after all these years), but yeah, Lost Judgement is going to take that time :).

That said, I also liked the remakes. There are still great games just especially 2 doesn't quite hit the same highs (also 1st Yakuza had truly hilarious dub). Yakuza 0 though is my favorite game in the series.
I use the PS3 Japanese remasters of 1&2 these days. Much nicer than the PS2 originals, plus no awful English dub! Though granted its all in Japanese so that is a problem for some!

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know what I expected entering in this thread, but that's just Kiryu. He always looks like that to me

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno looks like Kiryu to me. I agree his sideburns do look a bit funky there though, maybe his barber didnt have time to finish?