• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
At least it was positive. Earlier this year (a month into the pandemic) I had received a phishing test saying that my exit interview was scheduled. I was fucking livid. The company pulled back that test and issued an apology but goddamn that was a terrible 15 minutes of uncertainty.

From what I gathered, these housing tests are outsourced and they are supposed to get increasingly more difficult for anyone to ignore it's still bullshit that this message was even part of the algorithm.
Um this is incredibly fucked up, too.

While cyber security training is incredibly important, it shouldn't make people think they are being terminated.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
At least it was positive. Earlier this year (a month into the pandemic) I had received a phishing test saying that my exit interview was scheduled. I was fucking livid. The company pulled back that test and issued an apology but goddamn that was a terrible 15 minutes of uncertainty.

From what I gathered, these housing tests are outsourced and they are supposed to get increasingly more difficult for anyone to ignore it's still bullshit that this message was even part of the algorithm.
This is even worse. Holy shit. We have Michael Scott running these tests.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Woof. My company does phishing test emails but they're all just like "HR policies updated" or "Password expiring notification" kind of stuff.

CrashFaster

Oct 28, 2017
With all of this 2020 bullshit, I wonder when the millennials will stand up and force a revolution. We really need it. I'm a GenX'er and perhaps already lost.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Yeeeeeah it's pretty shitty to fuck with employees over pay.

My company does a bunch of these phishing emails but it's usually shit that's very easy to spot unless you're over 60 and open everything without thinking.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What is the appropriate way to try to bait employees into a phishing test? This is diabolical, but still pretty effective.
Like this:
Woof. My company does phishing test emails but they're all just like "HR policies updated" or "Password expiring notification" kind of stuff.
Something that pretends to be an internal email offering Christmas bonuses, during a pandemic and economic crisis, is on a level of callousness I can't even imagine.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Funny that it mentions a "record year" yet they can't be assed to give any bonuses

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember last year when one of my co-workers was talking about not having the money to buy their kids Christmas presents. Imagine being that person, the high of getting this email and realizing you could get your kids a Christmas gift, and then the crushing blow of finding out it was BS.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Whoever was in charge of that decision should be publicly humiliated. I'd almost go as far to say they should have the fucking shit kicked out of them.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Phishing emails work because people click on it.
While the timing is poor, given (per OP) the company's recent announcement that there would be no bonuses, I imagine sophisticated operators know exactly which buttons to push to get people to click.

I always thought phising email was going to be some sketchy email asking me to click here to open a file for an invoice Something easy enough for me to suss out and ignore, but in truth, it's the ones that go through your defenses that you have to worry about the most.. Earlier last year, our company's IT sent out several waves of test phising emails and I failed 1 ouf the 3 times, not bad, but hackers only need to get in once. The one time I failed was the one that seemed routine, innocent and had something in it for me. Nothing as sinsiter as the one in the OP but it's clear to me, emails promising financial rewards or a chance to win something work really well.

I have to say that while I don't approve of the timing of the email, it's entirely likely the 'click here and enter details for a bonus' is exactly the kind of phising emails people click on that sinks a company.

Last edited:

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
I work for a large company and they do the testing for phishing scams, but its not anything close to this BS. Its more like "OneDrive is set to expire please yadda yadda" we had a class on OneDrive and it never expires or "please fill out this survey from 'company I've never heard of before''" Godaddy is just plain mean and 100x worse in a pandemic....

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
We have phishing tests at my company too but let's be honest, I'd fail this phishing test so hard and fast.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
If the employes were notified by the company that there would not be a bonus, I would expect some to question the email. Especially asking for employee details... that should've raised some red flags to some one.

Evil and cruel? Maybe, but not any lower than a typical phishing scam email.

Lol get outta here.

Oct 27, 2017
My company also regularly sends out fake phishing mails. But they're of the "Your mailbox has been compromised. Click here to restore access." type.
Those are all too obvious of course. I always report such emails and then the system congratulates me.
While this fake bonus mail may seem shitty, I can understand it from an IT security perspective. This one is very enticing. A lot of people will fall for it. Actual scammers could easily have done the same thing and harvested data.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
CoolHarmfulHorseshoecrab-small.gif

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
As someone that does cyber security incident reaponse, and manages our phishing reporting solution, I'm torn.

I don't manage the phishing exercises, but I do see the data for them, and I do manage actual phishing clickers, and have for years at a few very big companies.

I mean, I'm not sure *I* could stoop this low for good security.

But the attackers sure as hell do. Covid-related and stimulus related phishing was huge this year, I've personally seen "you're in trouble with HR" type phishing, and bonus / performance review / other HR related phishing is a real thing.

I think the reason I wouldn't bother with something this crummy to employees
(but probably of some usefulness) is because I don't think the phishing exercises help that much, although I admittedly don't manage the fake phishing stuff in my current role.

I've always felt it is something that is necessary, I get it, but I've kinda felt thay it does little to get people to change their habits unless you are willing to start firing people for clicking things.

Required Social Media Disclaimer: I work for GM, and these opinions are my own and not the opinion of the company or anyone at the company but myself.

Firestar

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is tricky and I actually think we are going to see more of this, the tests get harder every year. I've had phishing email tests like this as well, but for smaller amounts, and on years where I did or didn't get a bonus. If your phishing tests are so obvious nobody falls for it then it's not a real test anymore.

Real phishing is only going to get more sophisticated and employees getting baited during the holidays is a real possibility, all the hackers aren't taking a break to go on vacation after all. From that example, you could see the sender was "gocladdy" instead of "godaddy" right off the bat, before even getting disappointed about reading the bonus. Keep in mind these employees no doubt have gone through yearly cybersecurity training and are explicitly told to watch out for this stuff.

No doubt this test would have been better received if they actually got bonuses, and if the company is doing well they deserve to be criticized for that part at least, whether or not they had this test. It makes me wonder what to do though, what if this phishing test offered more than the real bonus was, is it still cruel? Is it a realistic test if it offers less or the actual amount? I don't like having to deal with these tests personally either, but I don't have a solution, unless we come up with some perfect email filtering system.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very heartless and out of touch to make the "phishing test" themed like that right becore christmas during a pandemic-induced recession that primarily affects the working class
It is heartless, but it's sadly in touch with the times. Scammers are going to strike when people are most vulnerable, and there's probably no better time than now.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If this was done properly such that employees should have reasonably been able to identify it as fake, which it seems to have been unless I'm missing something, I think it's fair game. This is the type of thing scammers pull so training against it should be similar.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I used to orchestrate internal phishing tests for a tech company.

This was a really bad plan, and was bound to piss people off.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to assume the emails were accidental and that they, in their incompetency, thought it'd be better if they pretended it was a test.
Our company sends us fake phishing emails on a semi regular basis. So I could believe it it was one of those, but the subject matter was in very poor taste here.

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
The "we care now!" rebrand truly was nothing but a rebrand. Shit company will always be shit company. I'm so proud of the boycott we did on them years back.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My employer sent out a phishing test email as well last week, basically said if you made any unauthorized posts on your personal social media, you'd be fired.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Fuuuuuuuck whoever came up with this absolutely heartless idea. This needs to be blasted on every news outlet until they're basically shamed into actually giving those people a bonus for screwing with them like that. Seriously, this would be horrible enough even during the best of times, but now? During Christmas AND a pandemic when a lot people are struggling? There's no way the fuckwads that thought this up wouldnt be cognizant of this. It wouldn't shock me if they did it just to be evil, since they could have done it in a million other ways rather than hanging a bonus they were wanting over them.

I also want to say I'm surprised that anyone could find this even remotely defendable, but that's just be a lie at this point.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Damn.
I know a few folks in the IT business that would pull a stunt like this.
You do want to use current events and whatnot for security awareness testing to accurately simulate how phishing is socially engineered to be most effective...
but to do this is just scummy. Like, read the fuckin' room.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The employees should send out a test email to all of their domain owners that says their system has been compromised, all of their personal informational has been leaked.

And then 3 days later tell them it was just a prank bro.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm in the "this is heartless" camp for sure. The last thing anyone needs right now is false hope in anything, including monetary bonuses that could boost people's morale in tough times.

Seriously. A lot of us are beaten down at this point, even if we're still afloat. We don't need the bullshit.

That said, I've started getting phishing emails saying that I can claim my "stimulus payment." Scammers are out there preying on vulnerable people. It's a real thing that we need to continue to resist. GoDaddy has the right idea but the wrong approach.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Almost an infinite number of scenarios you can use for simulated phishing and they pick the absolute shittiest one. I can't imagine someone high up on their cyber team justifying this because it's likely to get people to click on it. Fuck everyone involved in this.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in Cybersecurity too, and it's a no from me (although we all joke about doing it, likewise at start of COVID).
It's terrible for morale, and ultimately you're never going to stop everyone from clicking on realistic phishing emails.