• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 11, 2018
It absolutely was. I wasn't surprised at all, as SSM has always demonstrated masterful level design with the God of War series. I'm glad it's getting noticed now.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine, but it's not the marvel of interconnected and interlocking design that many make it out to be. I do think the verticality was genius, but I do wish SSM had gone all the way with it, and allowed players to raise and lower water levels through the game, to gain access to older and newer areas with different abilities, adding a new layer to the exploration and backtracking.
I agree with this. It served as a really cool open hub area, but nothing really comparable to the Primes. More like Hyrule Field from OoT

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
"Genius"
Hah, it was pretty common level design that got used a lot in the early 2000s/late 90s. Very Zelda like.
The only reason it receives a lot of attention is because nobody really used it recently due to the open world obsession.
To be fair, it was good design back then and It is good design now.
Also, people being confused about it being "interconnected" are right. It was pretty much pure hub and spoke design with almost no connectivity between the different spokes. Everything connects to the lake and not to each other.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The added layer of proper context and cohesion is definitely nice, but otherwise it's a pretty standard hub and spoke. It's good though. It's nice to see a AAA game designed this way. And if people want to say it's genius and encourage more AAA devs to incorporate this kind of classic design into their games I'm all for it.

Oct 31, 2017
God, I love how each group on Reset uses terms and automatically associate them with a negative.

Group A: Ugh open world. Guess I'll be doing a lot of busy work. I'm fatigued.
Group B: Ugh shit's linear, that means bad in Webster's Dictionary.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's the first western AAA game that genuinely made we wonder ''Is the level design guy Japanese?'' because of how good it is.
Usually we don't see level design like this in western games, it's either just point A to point B or straight up open world.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Yeah, I'm not doing a good job haha. I am saying add a level of verticality that the player can control (like, say, the Water Temple in OOT), and locks and unlocks different areas for you at different times, so that getting new power ups along with shifting the water levels changes what parts of the world are accessible.
Not that what SSM did currently was bad or anything either!
The game basically does that as it is (how far it takes that concept is debatable).

What you're suggesting just sounds like an extra step.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
If the lake of nine is in the next game it might be frozen. Maybe you'll travel across it using a wolf pulling your sleigh.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I have gotten Open World fatigued as of late, and therefore being a big narrative fan prefer more linear games. There is something about GoW's "wide linear" approach with its HUB system that for me, felt much more "classic adventure game" in the vein of something like OoT. Initially I would have preferred something much more linear for narrative sake, but found myself totally digging it.

You and me both, man.
I just finished GoW in December and it was great. The wide linear approach kept me going waaay past the story end point, and the combat made me come back for more.

I'm currently playing Horizon, and while it's a great achievement, I just can't take open-worlds any longer. I feel I played too many at this point and it feels like I'm wasting my time.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
Gates are definitely a loading screen replacement in God of War. After they run out of things to talk, you just run awkwardly on the path until the next world is loaded. Swimming across the lake feels just like going through the gates, so for me it is also a loading screen. Loading screen while looks great, just introduces pacing problems. Especially once Mimir runs out of stories to tell.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it, and loved the game - but it absolutely didn't give me the 'holy shit' feeling that I got from Dark Souls and the way areas in Lordran linked together. Now that was genius level design.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I liked that it gave the player some down time with some stories to listen to, but I'm not sure if I'd count it as genius, or even level design. The area itself is not especially novel or interesting to interact with. The area's biggest strengths lie in its art and voice direction.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I loved it. Mimir's stories were great for world-building, and navigating the lake was so much fun as you'd always find some new pathway to explore.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Initially when I first arrived at the lake and saw the top of the statues and islands scattered around the lake, I thought I would need to activate things to rise those islands out of the water.

Then the cutscene with the world serpent came on and the water level went down revealing many islands and my mind was blown.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
unnecessary non linear design.
This is a negative in 2019?

What is "necessary design" in a video game?

God, I love how each group on Reset uses terms and automatically associate them with a negative.

Group A: Ugh open world. Guess I'll be doing a lot of busy work. I'm fatigued.
Group B: Ugh shit's linear, that means bad in Webster's Dictionary.
Apparently non-linear also means bad.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
What amazes me the most is that in the lake, apparently just a hub, you progress through the story, you complete secondary missions and you explore. Really really a well put together and designed space.

When the World Serpent moved and revealed new layers of heights in the lake, that blew my mind