• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking on the GameOverGreggy Show, Barlog said he had a "really fun" idea for DLC, but that it was ultimately "too ambitious". He stated that it would've been on a similar level to The Last of Us: Left Behind or Uncharted: The Lost Legacy -- in other words, enough to be its own standalone product.

"It would end up being its own thing," Barlog said. "Rightfully so, everybody had said to me, 'Dude, this is crazy. This isn't DLC, it's a little too big.'"

SOURCE

I wonder if (hope?) the idea(s) will get rolled over into the upcoming sequel, if nothing else.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
I just started this game. Holy fuck it is awesome. Can't say much on DLC yet to finish it, hope it has a sequel I need more of this.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
God of war: ODST/lost legacy confirmed?!?!?

Is how I would take it. That game might get a follow up expansion.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they didn't, single player DLC is kind of fundamentally flawed because if you take 6-12 months to make a DLC that actually has some meat on it, the player has likely already forgotten how to play and lost all of his/her muscle memory so you have to spend most of the DLC just relearning how to play.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I'd be down for more stand-alone story releases than DLC.

I almost never play DLC because it comes too late after I have beaten the game. To me, 1 month later is already too late if it is a DLC that takes part inside the normal campaign as I am usually done after a few weeks and a few dozens if not a hundred hours of play. Even when the DLC is good.

Now when they release the content as a side/spinoff thing as they did with Uncharted, Torna and Dishonored 2 then I will gladly go in and buy that stand-alone content and play it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Not every game needs DLC. It wraps itself up nicely and sets up for a sequel. No need for a forced epilogue or prequel to the sequel.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad they didn't. It feels like a complete adventure with a prefect set up for sequels.
Eh, the story feels incomplete (it feels like it stops at the end of Act 2, there's no payoff to any of the buildup, basically it feels like a very long prologue), so DLC wouldn't have been remiss.
That said, I would rather a better sequel than DLC, so I'm okay with this decision.

Is cory going to direct the next one?
Not confirmed, but he will at least oversee and produce.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was never announced, but with
half the map in Yggdrasil saying "closed by Odin"
, you tend to expect that tease to be for a DLC more than a sequel.
I took that as a sequel personally, didnt think we'd be getting all the realms in the one game if this is going to be another trilogy.

That said, glad there's no DLC. All in on the sequel!

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game wrapped up perfectly IMO and the small tease at the end got me hyped up for the sequel. It left me with just enough questions for the next game. I'm good with them not releasing any DLC and focusing on a full fledged sequel on PS5 instead.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dlc is just a waste of time. There are too few great devs out there. They shouldn't be wasting months on some half baked 2 hour dlc.

Focus on the sequel and put any cool dlc ideas in the game.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Eh from what I remember Left Behind was pretty short and small in scope, unlike Lost Legacy which indeed was a full fledged title. But yea I did not expect a DLC for GoW as bite sized DLC just wouldn't have done for it.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Ultimately this is probably better in the long run for the IP. It will allow the team to take a breather, and focus their energy on the next generation GoW title on the next PlayStation.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm glad they're not doing DLC if it would amount to a full game and likely delay the sequel. Can't wait to see what they deliver next. If Cory isn't directing it then I hope he gets the chance to make a new IP.

Damn, maybe I missed the news but I really thought we were going to get some DLC. Especially with the scene after the ending.

That's sequel bait (in a good way). Seems likely
Thor will be the main antagonist in the next game and Odin
in the third to round out the trilogy.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Eh, the story feels incomplete (it feels like it stops at the end of Act 2, there's no payoff to any of the buildup, basically it feels like a very long prologue), so DLC wouldn't have been remiss.
That said, I would rather a better sequel than DLC, so I'm okay with this decision.

Only if you were expecting more than what they implied. The main journey and character arc both work in tandem to present a sufficiently crafted story.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only if you were expect more than they promised. The main journey and character arc both work in tandem to present a sufficiently crafted story.
Gonna disagree. It feels like the story is an excessively padded act 1/2. I get the whole "it's intended to be a setup" but intent doesn't mean I have to like it.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Good.

DLC would have ruined this game.

Save all for the sequel and go balls deep.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm good with it not getting DLC. It doesn't really feel like the kind of game that would benefit from it. You could set it between the end of the story and the "true ending", I guess, but it would feel pretty disjointed.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm glad they didn't, single player DLC is kind of fundamentally flawed because if you take 6-12 months to make a DLC that actually has some meat on it, the player has likely already forgotten how to play and lost all of his/her muscle memory so you have to spend most of the DLC just relearning how to play.

An exaggeration and a half. At most it takes one hour to get back into it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'd love to get a DLC tbh. I don't want to wait 5 years to get more.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
An exaggeration and a half. At most it takes one hour to get back into it.

It took me almost until the end of frozen wilds to feel comfortable with the combat again.

Its not that i was dying alot, i was just slow and sloppy compared to where i was when i platinumed the game. Its not ideal, just make the sequel.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Good. Not every major release needs DLC. Guys, remember..... old games? You know, Resident Evil 1 then a few years later Resident Evil 2 came out. Jak 1 then Jak 2....

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Gonna disagree. It feels like the story is an excessively padded act 1/2. I get the whole "it's intended to be a setup" but intent doesn't mean I have to like it.

Sounds like you weren't interested in the story they wanted to tell because that story was complete, yes there is a setup but the story was never about that.
I didn't like Witcher's 3 story, I would have liked they focus more on the political rivalries but at the end that's what interested me the most, no what the leads wanted to focus on.

I get you, but that doesn't mean they did half a job, you were invested in other things and those weren't a priority this time.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of 20 hour prologues are you used to playing? The pay off is the two completing the mission they set off to complete in the first place. Not to mention taking down Baldur. This is definitely the first time I've heard someone call it "incomplete" and a vast majority of people would disagree.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like you weren't interested in the story they wanted to tell because that story was complete, yes there is a setup but the story was never about that.
I didn't like Witcher's 3 story, I would have liked they focus more on the political rivalries but at the end that's what interested me the most, no what the leads wanted to focus on.

I get you, but that doesn't mean they did half a job, you were invested in other things and those weren't a priority this time.
I didn't say they did half a job. I said I felt the narrative stops before Act 3. This isn't a reflection on the work they did. It's my takeaway from the story.

What kind of 20 hour prologues are you used to playing? The pay off is the two completing the mission they set off to complete in the first place. Not to mention taking down Baldur. This is definitely the first time I've heard someone call it "incomplete" and a vast majority of people would disagree.
I am used to no 20 hour prologues, which is why GoW perplexed me with how it was so long and still felt like it just... stopped.
I don't necessarily argue with how others feel about it. I'm speaking about how I feel about it. It's great others felt it a more fulfilling story.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. Had no idea there was some post-credits scene. Going to play tonight and go back to Kratos' home to see what it is.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Story already feels stretched out to suit sequels as it is.

Shit, i was still waiting for the actual story to start once the credits rolled.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
As much as I loved the game. I was just a wee bit disappointed that you saw so many different realms on the mechanism, yet visited so few of them. Was hoping DLC could cover this but oh well.