• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I haven't played RDR2 (probably never will) but was Arther really that good of a character? I get the impression that the Performance catagory was robbed but I'm never really going to know.

Yes. It's probably one the best characters of this gen, and the performance of the VO is amazing. There's specially one line in the game that for me, was the reason why the award is totally deserved.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have watched the GOW winning GOTY video more than 10 times lol. Such an amazing moment. So happy for cory and the team. Can't wait for the next masterpiece from him
Yep. Watched it over and over again, because I'm happy for the studio, Shannon and Cory :)
The way people cheerlead and shit on games on here is insanely obnoxious.
People are happy that their favourite game & the best game of 2018 won some awards. No reason to be "salty".
Even tho I was annoyed that RDR2 won the best music award. All the other nominees were better, imo.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. It's probably one the best characters of this gen, and the performance of the VO is amazing. There's specially one line in the game that for me, was the reason why the award is totally deserved.

I'll have to look into getting RDR2 in the future. I'm just not really into Rockstar games.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to SSM, well deserved. Now make the next GoW more expansive, less repeating bosses and sub-bosses, more enemies and more, distinct weapons. Love what you all made.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
People are happy that their favourite game & the best game of 2018 won some awards. No reason to be "salty".
Even tho I was annoyed that RDR2 won the best music award. All the other nominees were better, imo.
People salty about this stuff should feel silly...hence my post (nice gotcha attempt though).

Like I said, incredibly obnoxious.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Right. As I said, being salty about this stuff is silly.

Are you quoting the right person?
You said the way people "cheerlead" and "shit on" games is obnoxious

He's pointing out that people are just happy a game they like won

And that you were "cheerleading" RDR2 in the thread last night and calling people out for being salty

Lol I mean look at this this:
RDR's score was amazing. The salt here is delicious.
The way people cheerlead and shit on games on here is insanely obnoxious.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
You said the way people "cheerlead" and "shit on" games is obnoxious

He's pointing out that people are just happy a game they like won

And that you were "cheerleading" RDR2 in the thread last night and calling people out for being salty

Lol I mean look at this this:
Where did I reference the people who are happy a game they like won? There are over a thousand posts in this thread. Obviously I'm not talking about every single one. This is about the extreme responses that are indeed obnoxious.

All the games up for awards last night were fantastic. The way people latch onto certain ones and lash out at other people just gets old (that goes for people downplaying GoW also).

And for the umpteenth time: that post is making fun of people actually getting angry about an awards show. "Cheerleading"? Wat?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
If you feel the game is worst for rushing it, then don't you(to some degree)think that the lengthier time spent then is for the better? I'll agree its a bit too much, but its also not without merit.

For reference, I'm not saying the entire game should have been cut down to only 5 hours. I'm only talking about cutscenes, characters talking etc. being cut to 5. If that wasn't doable, then we wouldn't have movies.

I wouldn't really say snakey or
Athena
are particurally great. Obviously I don't expect either to be especially social, but she just kind of comes off like fanservice as opposed to an actual character. The dwarves are fine as side, gag characters, but then we're down to just Boy, Kratos, Mimir, Baldur and The Witch. Then further factor in Baldur is gone for most of the game and were left with a really tiny group of characters. I'd agrue Charles, Lenny, Micah and Hosea all belong in this same tier. Which isn't a huge jump in main quality characters, but then you have a million B characters on par with the dwarves.

Which is inherintetly fine, the main point is a Boy and his Kratos, but we really couldn't have gotten anything about Faye beyond she was cool? 2 is clearly going to focus on her more, but she's still relevant enough to the current events that some time should been spent on her. On the other hand you have Alfheim which goes absolutely nowhere. To some degree their hands were tied as a result of content being cut, but if your doing that, also cut out the residual plot setups.

Similiary Boy's god arc didn't really end up mattering since he just ended up being the same after as he was before. A good chunk of it happened while other stuff was as well, but that stuff was Magni and Modi which were kind of filler outside the boss fight. If you take these ,Alfheim and random blatant filler like the elevator not working and do you see where my 5 hour comment comes in?

I'm really mixed on the length honestly, I think the payoff is worth it, but I'll probably never full playthrough it again due to how slow it is untill about halfway through chapter 4.

Snakey I thought was about as well done as possible, given it character and his voice is maybe my favorite voice ever, which helps. We'll see where it goes in the future, as it's hinted either he or head aren't being completely honest with us.
I wouldn't really consider Athena a character, she says a handful of words and was probably just Kratos imagining her.
I really liked Lenny, Charles and Horsea, but none really change or develop at all, Charles a little maybe. Micah is just way too cartoony evil for me to consider him a good character, but he was very hateable, which GoW doesn't really have a similar character in game ( fuck Thor though).

As for the rest, a lot of that will be picked up in part 2 most likely (well apart from Alfheim, it's literary just a endless war that's had hundreds of winners, Head will comment on it if you return). Although I agree !!!BOY!!! Going full dickhead out of nowhere could've been done smoother. I really didn't mind the delays in getting to the mountain.

Sorry for the formating, on my phone and the new site doesn't play nice with it.

Edit: Oh and just for the record I think RDR2 is also a masterpiece, it's far from a game I disliked.

Last edited:

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
lol some people really are salty.

makes it more fun to celebrate god of war's win.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone going back and forth on "salt" over RDR2 vs GoW when the real crime was Monster Hunter winning best RPG.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder if some of the posters here have even played the game. God of War actually has more fantastical and artistic visuals than RDR2. If anything it's RDR2 that goes for something closer to outright realism, especially in environments, assets and lighting.
Exactly.

This thread is amazing, lol.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I havent played Red 2 yet,working on my backlog still(DQX1,FC5,MHW,TR and Odyssey) but I absolutly loved GoW,it was epic,I mean that first encounter with Baldur,the set up and conversation was incredible,I knew I was in for a ride after that...well deserved.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm so glad for Cory. He's the best.

Game is amazing as well, my second favourite in the franchise (I'm a sucker for the OG God of War, so good). I love RDR2 but I feel the first one is better; something about 2 doesn't resonate with me as well.

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018
Congrats to SSM! Although I preferred RDR2 personally I still loved my time with GoW. The game is very deserving of the win

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably put 3 titles ahead of it but GoW was a good game so I'm ok with this choice.

Last edited:

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
RDR2 is the game of the generation so I guess GoW getting its single year moment before it is mostly forgotten about is fine. RDR2 on the other hand will influence game development for years in massive ways and doesn't really need a single year award to represent how impactful and masterful it is.

Poor Spidey, not winning anything :(

giphy.gif

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is the game of the generation so I guess GoW getting its single year moment before it is mostly forgotten about is fine. RDR2 on the other hand will influence game development for years in massive ways and doesn't really need a single year award to represent how impactful and masterful it is.

Poor Spidey, not winning anything :(
GOW will impact game development more than RDR 2 as far as single player cinematic masterpieces are concerned.

There is a reason why it also won Best Director because no one had more innovative vision than Cory and he'll inspire other creators going forward.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Went to bed thinking that RDR2 had this in the bag and woke up to this. Congratulations to Santa Monica and Corey for this award its well deserved, this game did everything right in my book and honestly feel they could have gotten more award.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went to bed thinking that RDR2 had this in the bag and woke up to this. Congratulations to Santa Monica and Corey for this award its well deserved, this game did everything right in my book and honestly feel they could have gotten more award.
It won 3 awards overall. Imo the 3 biggest awards of the show :)

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 did some really great stuff, but at the end of the day playing GoW never felt like a chore.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've yet to play RDR2 but God of War was far and away better than anything else I've played this year. Looking forward to the sequel.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
RDR fans better be prepared for more of this. It is not going to be a RDR sweep for GOTY in general. I already bet God of War is winning IGN, Gamespot, Game informer, Kinda funny, Easy allies GOTYs etc.. This will not be the clean sweep ppl were predicting with RDR 2.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Well deserved.

RDR2 will always be an amazing memory when I think about it, but as a stringent story based game, GOW was just a bit more magic. I can't believe how often it has blown my mind during playing. The overall experience was just a little tiny bit more special.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 belongs in 2014 in everything except graphics. It is a game that shows no respect for the players time, has terrible combat, horrid mission design, no freedom to be creative as failstates get plastered over your screen for the most insignificant of actions and many many other issues. Really glad the judges realised their hyperbolic scores for it, were just that, hyperbole.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the Corey win and also heard about the best action game but still thought that RDR2 had it in the bag even though I wanted GoW to win.

That was strangely handled now that I think about it. Cory took to the stage for winning Best Direction, only on the side and with little fanfare they mentioned GoW also won Best Action Adventure over RDR2. GoW winning that important category basically meant it was going to be the GOTY, right? At least I'd find it weird if one action adventure wins Best Action Adventure and another action adventure wins GOTY.
Maybe that's why they mentioned that important category only on the sidelines, hoping people wouldn't notice. And I actually failed to notice, lol. I was positively surprised GoW won GOTY and not RDR2.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds right. I'm not finished with RDR2 yet so jury is still out, but both are neck and neck for me currently.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
RDR2 belongs in 2014 in everything except graphics. It is a game that shows no respect for the players time, has terrible combat, horrid mission design, no freedom to be creative as failstates get plastered over your screen for the most insignificant of actions and many many other issues. Really glad the judges realised their hyperbolic scores for it, were just that, hyperbole.
I would have said 2008 but hey.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I figured with voice actor, narrative and sound/ music going to rdr2 that they had it in the bag. Then Cory won best direction and I held out hope though definitely did not hear they won best action adventure game

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RDR fans better be prepared for more of this. It is not going to be a RDR sweep for GOTY in general. I already bet God of War is winning IGN, Gamespot, Game informer, Kinda funny, Easy allies GOTYs etc.. This will not be the clean sweep ppl were predicting with RDR 2.
I tried telling people this. Some people still thin that a higher Metascore means a game is a lock to get GOTY. I guess they never look to the past to base their judgement on.