• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Anybody saying RDR2 fans are salty clearly wasn't following the TGA thread where people were throwing a temper tantrum every time it one award, claiming it was only winning because it was the most recent, it was just a popularity contest, Rockstar bribed etc. Not to mention all the fuck you RDR2s.

Anyways, congrats to Sony Santa Monica. They're a talented bunch and have earned it.

It's honestly pathetic. People on this forum are constantly (rightfully) going on about how important it is to value the devs' work, but when it comes to award season, it seems that half the forum turns into rabid fanboys that only care about putting games that aren't their favorites down.
Even in this thread -- RDR 2 is honestly being talked about more than GOW. And the funny thing is that there were a bunch of other GOTY contenders too. It's just so hilariously childish.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Deserved. RDR2 was also absolutely incredible, but I think I preferred God of War just by a smidgen.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On balance I think I liked RDR2 more (it certainly took over my life) but GoW was excellent too and it's a deserved win.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
God Of War was phenomenal, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the best, and most important video games ever created. It sets a new and astonishing standard for world building, transcendent verisimilitude, and is a true work of art.

God Of War won because it was the crowd pleaser equivalent of an Oscar winning movie losing to something far more important, well written, and requiring of a more patient and mature mind to appreciate.

Shit happens.

Even Cory knows deep in his heart that Red Dead was clearly, remarkably better.

Cory said all the games in the nominations are masterpieces, that's the first thing he said when he got on the stage. That's the kind of guy he is.

Also holy shit this was an actual serious post and not meme bait.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
God Of War was phenomenal, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the best, and most important video games ever created. It sets a new and astonishing standard for world building, transcendent verisimilitude, and is a true work of art.

God Of War won because it was the crowd pleaser equivalent of an Oscar winning movie losing to something far more important, well written, and requiring of a more patient and mature mind to appreciate.

Shit happens.

I'm typically accepting of anybody's opinion on this stuff, but you lost me here man. What a ridiculous thing to say.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Can't believe it. Red Dead Redemption 2 set a new standard for the industry, God of War is just overrated.

New standard in terrible control and on-rail mission design?

New standard in how to make the mission fail when players are not doing 100% what you wanted?

Shit happens.

What am I reading...
8146f264d52d7931c6181eb1594fdd186e4eacff24241e374d2a41dfc359e252.jpg

Last edited:

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Both games were amazing. Though graphics on God of War are pretty shiet at some places(water and some models-textures) though it had really great moments, blades were amazing reveal and i loved ending.

RDR2 story was also amazing but i think its little paced off towards end.Prologue sections were too long

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As per usual, a Sony title wins regardless of the more stellar games.. *sigh* How could any game beat out RDR2? IMO, a completely bias voting crowd. Next year will be TLoU2.

Ahh the never ending anti Sony tinfoil hat crusade. The irony is that BotW won last year (beating out HZD), and Overwatch the year before (beating out UC4). But who needs logic and reason eh?

giphy.webp

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow with all the shit ppl were talking about RDR2 sweeping who would have thought? Goes to show sometimes things to play out like ppl think. I know ppl were saying that bcus TGA tends to be a popularity contest instead of other things but hey looky here. Epic game and well deserved.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
New standard in terrible control and on-rail mission design?

As much as you disagree, RDR2 is the new standard of video games, nothing beats it in scale, content, attention to details, animations, va performance, writing, dialogue, narrative, world building, interaction, art design, easter eggs/secret, atmosphere etc...

it's not a perfect game whatsoever, its gunplay is really mediocre and its gameplay can feel clunky at times ( didn't have any problem with that, feels like any rockstar game ) RDR2 is a game we'll talks about in the next five or ten years.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
As per usual, a Sony title wins regardless of the more stellar games.. *sigh* How could any game beat out RDR2? IMO, a completely bias voting crowd. Next year will be TLoU2.

Zelda BOTW won GOTY over Horizon Zero Dawn last year but I guess that doesn't fit your narrative.

As much as you disagree, RDR2 is the new standard of video games, nothing beats it in scale, content, attention to details, animations, va performance, writing, dialogue, narrative, world building, interaction, art design, easter eggs/secret, atmosphere etc...

it's not a perfect game whatsoever, its gunplay is really mediocre and its gameplay can feel clunky at times ( didn't have any problem with that, feels like any rockstar game ) RDR2 is a game we'll talks about in the next five or ten years.

I agree, RDR2 is impressive, but so is God of War.

God of War had most of what you listed plus good gameplay, and that's why It beat RDR2.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
What story ? GOW is just a long ass prologue, nothing really happened in this damn game, everything happened before this game or will happen after it, it ends when it should have begin.
The introduction of Kratos and Atreus into the world of Midgard and fulfilling their first task was completely enough. It shouldn't be more.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I'll say this, while I loved both games, there was no moment with Arthur (or even John) in RDR2 that felt equivalent to getting the Blades back in GoW.

The built-up, the tension, the memories of past games and what those meant in the context of the story, the sheer hype of seeing them again followed by the look of regret and sorrow on Kratos's face, the surprising control of his emotions & demons with the admition of what he is and what he must to do save his own son and finally...finally the release as soon as you get to control Kratos again. That whole sequence was brilliant.

The only similar-ish things to that in RDR2 would be the way Arthur got tuberculosis and how he had to deal with it (in particular with the family of the man who "gave" him TB) or perhaps the way we slowly see the gang descend into madness thanks to Dutch & Micah. Even the more positive beats of the game, with John's quest to become a proper family man and get his own ranch don't quite reach the same notes that GoW did. And that's saying something.

Last edited:

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Sweet - haven't played GoW yet. GoW III was one of my favorite PS3 games so once school slows down and I finish Spider-Man, I am in.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And in the end God of War beat it because it's the better game with better gameplay. It's a game people will talk about in the next five to ten years. Truly a masterpiece.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
How many GOTY does team Sony have won over the years: UC2, Journey, TLOU, Bloodborne, now this, with TLOU2 in the pipeline.

Why does Sony keep making GOTY bait games?!

Gonna be playing GoW later this month in 4K HDR, I doubt it's gonna top RDR2 for me, that game is once in a generation type of game in like every aspect of a videogame, hell all the forest-y type of games shown at TGA didn't do nothing for me after spending so much time in RDR2 forests.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many GOTY does team Sony have won over the years: UC2, Journey, TLOU, Bloodborne, now this, with TLOU2 in the pipeline.

Why does Sony keep making GOTY bait games?!
It's easy. Sony creates amazing games. And in the end, they're getting a lot of awards. Happens with great games.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Omg. Congrats to one of my fav games this gen, and probably ever.

Zelda BOTW won GOTY over Horizon Zero Dawn last year but I guess that doesn't fit your narrative.

Ahh the never ending anti Sony tinfoil hat crusade. The irony is that BotW won last year (beating out HZD), and Overwatch the year before (beating out UC4). But who needs logic and reason eh?

giphy.webp
Lmao!

Came for the salty takes, not disappointed.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Don't expect it. I would bet everything on RDR2. Said that I'm glad a game so focused on sp campaign got it.

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The world AI and underlying systems in RDR2 were superbly impressive, but the pacing and structure of the narrative took a poor turn about 3/4 through the game and I feel the story really suffered until end/epilogue.

GoW however, punched my soul. So powerful and concise, with incredible pacing. It genuinely changed my life and my relationship with my son. And on a technical level the HDR 4K I felt was better implemented and more graphically impressive from a texture, animation (with all the inverse kinematics with fighting system, lip sync and eyes (facial animation) etc. It just felt tighter with a huge emphasis on cinematic lighting that spilled out perfectly in every scene.

GoW is 1st for me, RDR2 2nd, and prob Spider-Man my 3rd but I need to play more Monster Hunter and a few other titles to know for sure (i loved octopath and still need to finish that even).

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome. I have my issues with the game and it's not my personal GOTY, but it's cool to see such a gamey ass game winning.

The level design alone makes it deserve the title, Lake of Nine is fantastic.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If "transcendent verisimilitude" isn't the OT title for next RDR2 thread, the OP will be doing it wrong.

Good for GoW, such a great game with amazing pacing, combat and Boi. Plus, how many World Seprents does RDR have? I haven't played it but I am guessing none!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Disagree with every aspect except for scale and content. As a game though, gameplay is the glue that binds it all together and there is where it falters.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

How is it going to be the new standard when there is literally no other developer that has the time, resources or money like Rockstar? It's not even possible for anyone else to really match the amount of unique animations/attention to detail because they likely brute forced it to an extent through sheer development time and money. I fail to see how they set a new bar for art design, world building or writing though - there's games like TW3 with as good or better writing/world building and the art direction in most AC games is the strongest in the industry. Is the voice acting clearly way better than Naughty Dog's? I don't think so either.

Oct 27, 2017

Shit happens.

Clearly?

Red Dead wish it felt as good as GOW in the gameplay department.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Well earned! Congrats to the team. Phenomenal game.

I would've picked RDR2, but GoW is equally deserving of that title. I'm growing older and I feel that both those franchises and developers have grown with me, and that is reflected in the DNA of both games. I'm very grateful. What a year it's been.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Comparing the complete package and looking into each part making the games individually God of War simply delivered the bigger one.

RDR2 won the Awards for some Individual Aspects which it deserved even though i still think Chris Judge should have won his personal one too alone for the "Read it Boi" moment on Stage.

But a huge part of a Game is Gameplay and here RDR2 shit the bed with its slow clunky gameplay and how annoying it simply got over the whole game.
God of War had tight fluid combat Gameplay and you could interact and pick things up faster than Snail that tries to find its perfect placement to execute the action you want your Character to do.

It also delivered a better Progression System making it worth to explore especially on higher difficulties to make you stronger while RDR2 even though packed technically with things to distract you had literally nothing that matters going on besides its Story Missions.
Story Missions which were 99/100 times > Ride with your comrade in unnecessary slow pace to your destination > Shoot a couple Guys > Flee on a fixed path > earn 2$ and repeat the whole thing for how many hours it takes you to finish the game all for "THE PLAN"

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Also the amount of GoW related GIF's the devs have shared these past few days is amazing lol

I vote that the extras in games should just be gifs galore with the characters haha

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't played it but honestly I was just so happy because Cory got on stage and got so emotional.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So many of the systems in RDR2 are incredibly shallow.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Enjoyed it, finished it, was a pretty game, but also was repetitive and fairly linear. Not quite sure what you think it defined.

Can't be more linear than RDR2's missions.

RDR 2 would have been my GOTY if Arthur didn't control like a god damn Battleship. GoW is clearly superior in the gameplay department and therefore more fun to play. Deserved winner.

Same, I want to love RDR2 since RDR1 is my favorite open world game of last gen but it just doesn't play very well, it's just not fun to control Arthur, like at all.

Last edited:

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
RDR 2 would have been my GOTY if Arthur didn't control like a god damn Battleship. GoW is clearly superior in the gameplay department and therefore more fun to play. Deserved winner.