• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
God Of War was phenomenal, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the best, and most important video games ever created. It sets a new and astonishing standard for world building, transcendent verisimilitude, and is a true work of art.

God Of War won because it was the crowd pleaser equivalent of an Oscar winning movie losing to something far more important, well written, and requiring of a more patient and mature mind to appreciate.

Shit happens.

Even Cory knows deep in his heart that Red Dead was clearly, remarkably better.

Lmao is this a troll post? I can't tell anymore. RDR2 was great at everything except where it mattered: game design. The mechanics were a struggle to get past, and the mission design was so restrictive that it almost ruined the amazing open world.

Imo RDR2 deserved the awards it got, but nothing more. GoW was the better overall package.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for all the kind words in this thread about the game, it really means the world.

And a huge shoutout to the rest of the nominees too, those were all straight-up master-class games and I've played the heck out of them myself, and don't plan to stop anytime soon. We're in an awesome time for some seriously talented devs to make some of the stuff on stage tonight!

Well it's not surprising at all. I was sure GOW was going to be GOTY since it was released and made fun of that because I know and understand the big efforts you did to overhaul and shift the entire formula of the game which wasn't an easy and a granted task. Really congrats toall of you.
Oh btw, will a GOTY edition come someday ? You can pack it with the pre-order shields that I told you about that no one could get by now, for free since you won the award. :D

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
I played both GOW and RDR2 and enjoyed them both and I recognize what each one did well and what flaws they had. If I were to choose one for GOTY, it's God of War but I guess my opinion is shit according to people here soooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Glad to see GOW getting recognition from all the voters tho despite RDR2 having an advantage of releasing recently.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
MDSVeritas congrats to you and the whole team! I thought the acceptance speech was really good. Sony took a big bet on rebooting the franchise, and the team obviously did an amazing job at paying that off and making a great game!

I'm glad the game awards are around to give a shout out to creators and entertainers.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played both games and enjoyed them both and I recognize what each one did well and what flaws they had. If I were to choose one for GOTY, it's God of War but I guess my opinion is shit according to people here soooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Glad to see GOW getting recognition from all the voters tho despite RDR2 having an advantage of releasing recently.
Nah, your opinion matches the majority opinion as you can see in this thread. All good ;)

seth24

Dec 6, 2018
Congratulation Dad of Boi, really immersed myself when it came out. Love the combat so much.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
For me the cracks just started to show quicker in Red Dead Redemption 2.

I enjoyed it but there were times I was bored, cursing the controls that seemed to be fighting me, getting pissed off at yet another bounty because of what an NPC did rather than anything I did. For everything it did well there was something else that went against it.

God of War was just more fun to play and didn't have the frustrations. The challenge realms felt a bit lacking though. I wasn't ever expecting it to be all out way against the gods again so enjoyed the smaller scale story that can now be built on.

I enjoyed Assassin's Creed Odyssey as well. Possibly because of the setting and Kassandra being a good character but it was the best one since Black Flag personally.

It was a good year.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm halfway RDR2 and having a hard time motivating myself to finish the game, let alone do all the subquests, while I'm close to platinuming God of War. So, if it's between these two, and I can only speak for myself, I've enjoyed God of War more. To me, GoW is more actual fun to play.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Actually God of War taking the GOTY is the revenge for Bloodborne.
It's the game with better gameplay and level design winning over the pretty OW with great presentation and mediocre gameplay.
We did it BOYYYYSSSS!
Nope. Don't care. Bloodrobbed was borne.

Jokes aside, I'm glad it got GOTY, but it was bound to happen. Is TGA the only GOTY that matters, tho? I feel like every year we hear about multiple games securing thousands of GOTY awards each...

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats to SSM, GoW was also my GOTY although RDR2 really threatened it tonight with several earlier wins [most notably for Best Performance, which could have easily gone to Kratos].

giphy.gif

uihjdZ4.gif

:D

Raiku

Oct 25, 2017
California, USHeyHey!
It's funny seeing so many praise RDR2's writing. The writing was uneven and choppy as fuck to me. I'd go as far as to say that Arthur is the only solidly written character, as far as characterization goes. And that's without even touching the overarching storyline. Parts of that game remind me of the made for TV westerns that Leone must've taken a look at and said to himself, "I could do much better than that shit." And I liked the game.
"Transcendent verisimilitude" lmao

Wonderful story, acting, characters and camerawork.

High five, the camerawork was great.

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Completely deserved. I played GoW just before RDRII came out, and could not put it down until I finished it, lost some sleep over it because a man needs to work and take care of the family too, but it was worth it.

I'm loving RDRII now, but BFV has taken my attention away from it and the most important thing:
- Controlling Kratos is always heaven.
- Controlling John is a chore sometimes.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think some of the issue (and you can see it in the LTTP:HZD thread too) is the widening gap between those of us that come to games for games, and those that want to be immersed in worlds and story's but not passively, the "interactive entertainment" crowd.

Knowing R* they probably did provide a world to get lost in, but Dad of Boi was just a damn good game, and like it or not the majority of the industry and this awards show is about games, not interactive entertainment otherwise David Cage would be a hero instead of a pariah.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I still need to finish it. 5 hours in.

It's the only game I've "played" this year. So can't really judge.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's funny seeing so many praise RDR2's writing. The writing was uneven and choppy as fuck to me. I'd go as far as to say that Arthur is the only solidly written character, as far as characterization goes. And that's without even touching the overarching storyline. Parts of that game remind me of the made for TV westerns that Leone must've taken a look at and said to himself, "I could do much better than that shit." And I liked the game.
"Transcendent verisimilitude" lmao

High five, the camerawork was great.
Thank god, someone else saw that.

😂

Should be the OT for the next RDR

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played God of War after Red Dead 2 left me disappointed, couldn't agree more with the result. Well deserved.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Nope. Don't care. Bloodrobbed was borne.

Jokes aside, I'm glad it got GOTY, but it was bound to happen. Is TGA the only GOTY that matters, tho? I feel like every year we hear about multiple games securing thousands of GOTY awards each...

Most outlets have their own - there's normally about 300-400 announced for each year. Full breakdown here: https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
GOW winning GOTY is like Modrić winning Ballon d'or, it's not a scandal but it's not the best thing released this year.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
God of war just seems more genuine and made with love and care in a good working culture. The team definitely deserved it.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
*wakes up and checks Era*

Oh hey, God of War won GOTY. I should congratulate them in the thread

*checks thread*

What the fuck?

Seriously, people, all of the GOTY contenders this year were amazing games and I'm sure it was no easy decision for them to pick one over the other. Can't we all just be happy for the winner AND the nominees instead of claiming that Game X was robbed or Game Y was undeserving?

Major congrats to Sony Santa Monica for the win.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Anybody saying RDR2 fans are salty clearly wasn't following the TGA thread where people were throwing a temper tantrum every time it won an award. Claiming it was only winning because it was the most recent, it was just a popularity contest, Rockstar bribed them, etc. Not to mention all the fuck you RDR2s.

Anyways, congrats to Sony Santa Monica. They're a talented bunch and have earned it.

Last edited:

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe it. Red Dead Redemption 2 set a new standard for the industry, God of War is just overrated.

What standard? Big ass open world with nice looking vistas? I think we´ve already seen enough of that.

Edit: Congratz @ Sony Santa Monica Team. GoW is an amazing game. Fully deserved

gabeish

Nov 6, 2017
Loved RDR2 and thought it would win game of the year, but I am pleasantly surprised as I think God of War is a superior game and one of the best I've played for many years!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
*wakes up and checks Era*

Oh hey, God of War won GOTY. I should congratulate them in the thread

*checks thread*

What the fuck?

Seriously, people, all of the GOTY contenders this year were amazing games and I'm sure it was no easy decision for them to pick one over the other. Can't we all just be happy for the winner AND the nominees instead of claiming that Game X was robbed or Game Y was undeserving?

Major congrats to Sony Santa Monica for the win.

Stop being sensible.

you can have a gif of Kratos looking disappointed at boy, or a gif of a cowboy going into a saloon and everyone suddenly stops to look at him.

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Congrats to the team for the win, but found both GoW and Spider-Man (and Nier/Horizon before them) to be pretty overrated. Either way, glad 2018 has been great for gamers.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
To each their own, but GoW is the far superior in comparison to RDR2.

So well deserved and happy for Santa Monica Studio. I literally raised my hands and cheered when it won.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
To be honest both games are only 8s to me anyway. Neither of them are sophisticated enough to keep me amused for long.