• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crooked16th

Nov 9, 2018
Glad to see God Of War win. I feel if Rockstar could have achieved what SSM did with actual gameplay they would have walked away with it hands down.

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
As per usual, a Sony title wins regardless of the more stellar games.. *sigh* How could any game beat out RDR2? IMO, a completely bias voting crowd. Next year will be TLoU2.
I'm happy to see unbiased people yelling the truth.... The truth.... BOY I COME FROME A LAND CALLED SPARTA!
You are simply tasteless giving your track record, please stop raging against something you hate because isn't on your preferred platform and take more time playing fantastic game like GoW.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Deserved. Personally it was also a close race between RDR2 and GoW this year. I would put RDR2 a little bit higher as GoW but just a tiny bit.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting this, for me it would have been RDR2.
Thankfully Roger Clark won best performance that was sooo deserved.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Loved both games so damn much, and either RDR2 or GOW could've won; both have made it into my top 5 of all-time in what has been a stellar year.

So darn happy for Cory and his team. They truly deserve this.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved, i felt like RDR2 as a whole was more ambitious in mostly everything, but the gameplay in GoW was incredible and i had a blast getting a platinum in that game which says a lot.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
You do realise last year winner was BoTW and the year before was Overwatch right?
I remember this guy from B3D... he has always had these conspiracy theories on Sony. Best visuals because it's a PS game. GoTY because it's a PS game etc.

Anyway, well deserved. GoW is one of the best games I have ever played. The best reboot of a series ever IMO. I honestly started to lose interest prior to this.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Crazy that some people actually consider this an "upset". Just goes to show how easily people hop on the latest hype train.

God of war is one of the defining games of this generation. It deserves every award it receives.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As per usual, a Sony title wins regardless of the more stellar games.. *sigh* How could any game beat out RDR2? IMO, a completely bias voting crowd. Next year will be TLoU2.
Really? How did you come up with that conspiracy?
In 2014, Sony did not have any nominations in GOTY category.
In 2015, The Witcher 3 beat Bloodborne.
In 2016, Overwatch beat Uncharted 4.
In 2017, The Legend of Zelda: BOTW beat Horizon: Zero Dawn.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
First God of War I completed was GOW3 Remastered. It was an epic game but Kratos was the most unlikable main character I've played in a long while and at times completely disgusted at some of the decisions like the one which stood out was when kratos just sent Poseidon's wife chained up into the meat grinder. I was literally saying " What the fuck". I also didn't quite like the combat and going from that experience to the New God of War was just completely different level. They somehow managed to make Kratos actually an interesting character haunted by his past actions, made me so engaged with following on the journey with his son. It's not just the change in story but Combat took to a complete evolution. Far more engaging experience requiring person to be more environmentally aware, combat that actually felt heavy, satisfying to play around with with some incredible movesets and movement that for the first time has been great to control. SSM have shown to be completely capable of improving not just one aspect but several making it a far more cohesive game to play combined with one of the most ambitious camera work, I can see why it won game direction and also Game of the year.

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the year of people buying again Nintendo games with their tight gameplay it's only logical that great gameplay won against mediocre gameplay. The team deserved it but I am really happy that Cory won best game direction. I think he is going to really love that particular award.

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
Well deserved to Corey and the team. Happy it beat RDR2. Too many issues I had with that game for it to edge onto GOTY territory. GOW was tight as fuck on every level.

BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck....how is this possible? How you gonna give Red Dead everything else and then not Game of the Year. That's not how that works. That's like getting a 100 in every class available plus AP to boost your GPA but at graduation you're salutatorian.
Did you stop watching the show at halftime then came back at the end? GoW won best action\adventure game and best direction. RDR2 won best audio, music and narrative. That doesn't feel like RDR2 took everything at all. If anything I'd say the 2 awards GoW won matter a lot more than the 3 RDR2 won.

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deserved. A game that controls as poorly as RDR2 does has no business winning GOTY.

Agreed. God of War is so smooth, and it feels great to play. The Story is great, the characters are outstanding, it has a sequel review thread (https://www.resetera.com/threads/god-of-war-review-thread-2-when-a-boi-became-a-man.82783/) and it's in my top 5 of all time.

That's not some knee jerk reaction either. As both a game, and something that grew up with me I feel attached to Kratos journey now more than ever. I played Mario when I was 5 and Mario's the same. I played the initial God of War when I was a bit younger, and angry at everything around me. I was personally in a dark place. Now some 13 years later I play the latest God of War and Kratos has matured just like I feel I have and it's a unique feeling. I can't say that about any other game. I'd love to, I've played so many games. The timing on this was just right to me and game of the year won game of the year. No shocks here.

As for Red Dead. I love Red Dead for what it wants to be. Amazing world and characters. Arthur Morgan is one of my favorite new characters and I didn't expect to get attached to him like I did. Unfortunately Rockstar's decisions to keep their game tedious killed it for me. If I wanted to play as a tank I'd play a game about tanks. Arhur handles like a soggy turd driving around on a carpet and he makes me feel like I'm drunk when I try to shoot.

Well deserved Cory and the team at SSM.

unknown.png

Last edited:

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'll play through RDR2 completely when it comes to PC, but I did play 5 hours at a friends house and thought it was incredible. Visually stunning, amazing presentation and atmosphere. Voice work, animations and soundtrack are superb. And I won't put these games on a side by side categorically and compare, but I'll tell you God of War is some of the most fun I've had in a game and I didn't want it to end, just left you wanting more. It's hard to argue against God of War having the superior controls, fluidity and game play.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Congrats! I haven't played RDR2 and I'm sure it's amazing, but GOW is a game that I truly enjoyed.

There's something special about it. It's not perfect either, but it's been a while since I last felt the kind of joy and wonderment I had while playing it. Truly great game, well deserved prize.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
God Of War was phenomenal, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the best, and most important video games ever created. It sets a new and astonishing standard for world building, transcendent verisimilitude, and is a true work of art.

God Of War won because it was the crowd pleaser equivalent of an Oscar winning movie losing to something far more important, well written, and requiring of a more patient and mature mind to appreciate.

Shit happens.

Even Cory knows deep in his heart that Red Dead was clearly, remarkably better.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Happy to see God of War win over Red Dead. I 100% completed God of War. I ended up quitting Red Dead after 30 hours. Red Dead is just a slog to play through, and I'm not just talking about the god awful controls.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Enjoyed it, finished it, was a pretty game, but also was repetitive and fairly linear. Not quite sure what you think it defined.

What exactly was repetitive that is not repetitive in other 3rd person action adventures, if I may ask? And why do you mention "linear" as if it is something negative? Do all games need to have multiple endings and open worlds or something?

God Of War was phenomenal, but Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the best, and most important video games ever created. It sets a new and astonishing standard for world building, transcendent verisimilitude, and is a true work of art.

God Of War won because it was the crowd pleaser equivalent of an Oscar winning movie losing to something far more important, well written, and requiring of a more patient and mature mind to appreciate.

Shit happens.

God of War won because it simply has better gameplay and controls and the main missions weren't so friggin narrow minded and fixed as RDR2's. It's a good thing RDR2 didn't win. Maybe we get better controls en missions in RDR3 now.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shit happens.

God of War won because it's the game with better gameplay. It was the better game in the end. Cory, the gamers and the jury knew that ;)

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shit happens.

Trying too hard to be a meme.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
I do not rate God of War highly (pretty much like Legend of Zelda last year), grinding for platinum made the game feel worse for me unlike Spider-Man. I would have preferred RDR2 to win GotY (and God of War win best performance, they definitely performed the best during awards show), but still a good game won this award.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing; God of War was a good game, but RDR2 eclipeses it in every way.
Cory is as good guy though so I am definitely happy for him.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
To be fair, RDR2 has a much richer and more deeply written narrative. GoW is wrapped in lore, but the story and dialogue can be rather sparse at times and it's not as intricately woven as RDR2.

The script for RDR2 is an absolute beast and has a lot of incredible character moments etched into it. The dialogue is one of the game's major strengths. So in terms of narrative and performance, overall I'd give it to RDR2, even though I think GoW was deserving of GOTY.
QFT I'm almost finished with RDR2 it's narrative and atmosphere is amazing, but I do feel the overall package of GOW is just amazing. Like Zelda, I just couldn't put that game down.
Enjoyed it, finished it, was a pretty game, but also was repetitive and fairly linear. Not quite sure what you think it defined.
Did you play it on easy and not fight any of the Valkyrie? The amount of secrets, hidden rooms and enemies makes this opinion just very strange IMO. God of War goes as deep as you want it to go. It's no open world, and I'm sure the sequel will be ever bigger, but it's a very well-crafted experience and repetitive is just something I never experienced at all.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shit happens.

Love the salt in this one. God of War is the better overall product. Too many people were turned off by the clunky controls of RDR2 and some of the mechanics in the game that were kind of pointless. Mission design was pretty lacking too. Having a really detailed world doesn't win you GOTY.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Shit happens.

What I truly don't understand is why so many RDR 2 superfans seem to be so pretentious.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
I didn't find the game to be either of those things, nor do I think those are negatives in and of themselves, especially when we're discussing an action adventure game with a substantial narrative element.

It excelled in virtually every category. Wonderful story, acting, characters and camerawork. Combat that was grounded, yet fast-paced, challenging, and had a surprising amount of depth. Level/world design and art direction that I found to lead to a great sense of discovery and wonder. Simply put, it defines the generation by being one of the best.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It's the only game this year I finished uninterrupted by other games, and I usually snack on four or five simultaneously. Really great package.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the kind words in this thread about the game, it really means the world.

And a huge shoutout to the rest of the nominees too, those were all straight-up master-class games and I've played the heck out of them myself, and don't plan to stop anytime soon. We're in an awesome time for some seriously talented devs to make some of the stuff on stage tonight!