• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cory and the entire team at Sony Santa Monica picked up another prestigious award tonight winning Best Videogame Writing at the Writers Guild Awards. For those wondering the nominees this year included:
  • God of War
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • Marvel's Spider-Man
  • Pillars of Eternity 2
  • Batman: The Enemy Within Episode 5
For those wondering why Red Dead Redemption 2 wasn't nominated only members of the Writer's Guild can have their games nominated.

Last edited:

KalEl814

Nov 3, 2017
out about Boston
The writing is the best part of the game, I think. It's quite good. Out of the ones on that short list I'd put Spider-Man on top though I haven't played Pillars 2 or Batman.

Oct 25, 2017
Cory Barlog is basically Neil Druckmann 2.0 winning every damn award lol. There's still more to go.

Funny thing to point out is that both went up against Rockstar Games.

OP
OP
Mercenary09

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling there will be some controversy in here about RDR2 not being nominated just like at the DICE Awards. I guess because they aren't a member they weren't nominated.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Deserved! One of the best games ever.

I don't see how AC Odyssey got nominated though.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
f50.gif

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Only played GOW of those games but in my opinion RDR2 deserved be at least nominated.
Dutch: "I have a plan!"
Arrested Development Narrator: "Dutch did not have a plan."
Only half-joking with this generalization, haha. The writing of the individual characters in RDR2 was strong but the main plot just didn't really do it for me.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Played 2 of those games and while I am unsure of the order, I am pleasantly surprised to see Telltale's Bats' EP5 get proper recognition. It was akin to playing through a set of comic books on Bats.

Insofar as GoW is concerned, much like TLoU and Uncharted 4, while the story itself was rather very straight forward, the dialogues written felt utterly natural. No campy, corn filled BS.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
Thought the story and characters were much more interesting in RDR2, but God of War was great too. Congrats!

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Amazing to see Gow rack up those awards. I look forward to this continuing evolution of story telling in video games.

Damn, now I'm tempted to go play TLOU Remastered to experience its story again. I only played it once on Ps3 back in the day.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
As much as I loved RDR2's story, it was told in over 1000 different Wild West movies and the dialogue has been used many times before. I can totally see why it was nominated. It wasn't something unique and new, because if you watch any Wild West movies from the 50s-60s, you'll realise they all play out like RDR2. Not to say It's not a bad thing, not at all. It's just we've seen it many times before, only in video game format this time.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I loved RDR2's story, it was told in over 1000 different Wild West movies and the dialogue has been used many times before. I can totally see why it was nominated. It wasn't something unique and new, because if you watch any Wild West movies from the 50s-60s, you'll realise they all play out like RDR2. Not to say It's not a bad thing, not at all. It's just we've seen it many times before, only in video game format this time.

You realize you're saying this in a list that has two comic book games in it right?