• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Enjoy, everybody! Hope it gives some good insights into some of the utterly exhausting and absolutley blissful moments of game dev like this.

Just finished watching it and I'm really moved by it! Good stuff, everyone at the studio seems really cool. I love the way the studio is run and how candid everybody is. It's why I'm always gushing over the SSM on Twitter.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Around 1.21hrs and I love they're just not just showing the nice side of the creative process, but also the arguments, and the conflicts. Yes, creating something with a team, will always create conflict, and it's as important (and maybe even more) than when everything just agrees on something.

So far, incredible documentary.

Edit. Just reached the QA section. Oh my, I am gonna enjoy this part
Edit2. Oh so short :(

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Also: I can't believe it's only been a year since the game came out. It's been talked about so much and already feels like it has a substantial legacy that I genuinely thought it came out 2 years ago.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Great documentary. It's less about how game development works and more about how emotionally draining making a triple a game with such scope is. Couple of moments where I teared up. Recommend it.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Also: I can't believe it's only been a year since the game came out. It's been talked about so much and already feels like it has a substantial legacy that I genuinely thought it came out 2 years ago.

Yeah, Sony has been pushing GoW a lot recently. They are making the best use of its GOTY victory lap, sweeping all the most important award shows.
I still wonder why we haven't heard of any new sales milestones yet. If they are past 10 million now would be the perfect time to share that.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks so much! Is YouTube the best place to watch this or is there a higher quality version available anywhere?

Youtube's the place to go!

I can't wait to watch this tonight as i travel back to parents place to resume second play through on give me a god of war difficulty!
Thank you and everyone at Sony Santa Monica for doing this. I loved the past ones you guys did and I am sure I will love this as well.
Thanks for this and the game ;)

Watching now 🍿
Only 8 minutes in, and this is already amazing.
I'm only 30 minutes in, and the stuff they're showing is surprisingly much more honest about what happened with the canceled project.

Thank you and the entire team at SSM studio for all the effort and the stress you went through to bring out the game for us.
I definitely did. Thanks for all the sacrifice for such an amazing experience as the new GoW.
Just finished watching it and I'm really moved by it! Good stuff, everyone at the studio seems really cool. I love the way the studio is run and how candid everybody is. It's why I'm always gushing over the SSM on Twitter.

Thanks everyone, glad you're enjoying it!

Congratulations, it must have been hectic. Do you miss the chaos?

There's definitely a certain appeal to being in the eye of the storm trusting in the friends around you to do their best as you try to accomplish what occasionally seems impossible. The kind of storm of creation is quite something to be caught up in. Part of the appeal of game development is in that moment I think

But there's also the burden of the thing you're making. "Is it good enough?" "Am I good enough?" "Can we really do this?" It's a heavy thing to carry through that process, so I'm also happy to have time when that weight is kinda off my shoulders too.

Oct 27, 2017
Great great great documentary.

Not sure how i feel about it all though. I mean, congrats and all but man... its like for a quarter of that docu they were trying to make crunch look good or this necessary thing for a perfect game. American work culture is quite different then my country. I can understand passion, but not if it gets in the way of your personal life. Felt really bad for Shannon not wanting to answer the question. At the goty thing she thanked her kids... but not her husband... maybe i'm reading too much into this but i hope she didnt lose her husband over this.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, the part where they're obviously showing the crunch phase ...

giphy.gif

edit: Ouch, Shannon Studstill's reaction to the question about the toll a project like this takes ...

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, I cried a little.

One day I can hopefully show this to my newborn (after playing the game, so do PS4 BC, Sony!) and have him maybe understand what I'm going through myself with not seeing him a lot and probably even less in the future when residency really starts grinding me down.

I got to download this and put it on a stick or disk in case it won't be online anynore in a couple of years 🤨

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I don't know why but I didn't expect the disc making stuff to take place right there in the studio, but it makes total sense

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic doc. Makes you appreciate all that these devs and actors put themselves through just to entertain the masses.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
What an incredible documentary with so much open and honest talk about the state of the studio and what they were all facing. Never expected to see something like this. Really makes you appreciate these people and the sacrifices they make in the name of a video game that could end up going either way. Cory's reaction to the reviews is still one of the greatest and most moving things I've ever seen.

God of War is probably one of the biggest risk/reward scenarios in gaming. Refreshing to see how they presented all of this. It makes me wonder what made them want to document this since the start. Kinda like documenting what could have easily been a last hurrah.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Great doc. It really offered better insight into the development process by embedding film crew throughout the years of development.

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
Well made documentary, didn't expect it to be that interesting to get a behind the scenes look at the different steps of the progress up to the finish line.
So happy for Santa Monica Studios that the end result is awesome!

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it. Damn it must be hard working on game development. You can either be succesfull or go to hell wasting years of life on a project.

Also I almost teared up when Krato's actor talks about his family and how he wasn't there for his kids.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Just about to start watching and got my documentary food ready!

DSC-4166.jpg

On the left, 4 cheese spinach dip with fried pita points. On the right a bacon double cheeseburger with Cajun dusted kettle chips

LET'S DO THIS!!!!! 😃

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
What an amazing documentary, even with all the sacrifice that produce games can bring is nice to see the good side of this industry showed on the backstage. And when the game is made from passion, the sacrifices sure hurts much less once the goal is achieved. GOW will always be the GOTG!!!!

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Incredibly emotional and just awesome, wow, this doc gives u a glimpse into dev life and just how emotionally draining the process can be. As gamers we need to realize the sacrifice these people make to give us what we love, I'm eternally grateful to all devs. Thank you.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
That was brilliant, it's so well made and awesome to see how the game came together, and just how much went into making it. I'm so glad it turned out the way it did, being a huge critical and commercial success, it's a phenomenal game and the devs deserve all the success that's come from it.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing stuff right here, 2h well spent.

Making games sure looks easy, just gotta walk around the studio press a button wait 60 minutes and boom here's the game :P

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we should send them a mosaic pic of God of War as a present. Just like neogaf did with Kojima.

0fnUc53.png

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This waa a good docu, nothing that I had not seen before but well made and a few cool emotional moments. The over the top reveal reactions during e3 were full blown cringe though.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
With regards to the cancelled title, despite Shanon saying that it was dream that died, I wonder whether it will be ever considered for resurrection.

Youtube's the place to go!

Gamersyde is a good additional outlet as they provide uncompressed footage. Also, I may be mistaken but Vimeo also preserves more detail for 1080p video. Of course, neither one would garner as many eyeballs as YT.

Thanks everyone, glad you're enjoying it!

There's definitely a certain appeal to being in the eye of the storm trusting in the friends around you to do their best as you try to accomplish what occasionally seems impossible. The kind of storm of creation is quite something to be caught up in. Part of the appeal of game development is in that moment I think

But there's also the burden of the thing you're making. "Is it good enough?" "Am I good enough?" "Can we really do this?" It's a heavy thing to carry through that process, so I'm also happy to have time when that weight is kinda off my shoulders too.

Should GoW II become another commercial and critical success, I earnestly hope for SSM to share another honest and insightful documentary a year on from its release.

I have little doubt that documentation process has already begun for record keeping and posterity in parallel with the development of the next project.

Ricen-Beans

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that was awesome! Highly recommended and brought back awesome memories of the reveal in 2016!

Incredible game and incredible team. Thank you!

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

Good lord...you can just tell that dude not only works out but eats right as well. I mean just how defined his muscles are. And he's also 54, which he does not look at all. I would say mid 40s, so dude is doing good for himself. That tear he shed during his mocap performance was just....wow.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What an amazing documentary, so happy they filmed this stuff.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
The part that got me was the part where they were doing focus testing and the players were talking about Atreus. Cory was laughing off their comments at first ("OP freezer"?) but then they show that shot of him just kinda staring at the monitors while you hear all of the comments coming in about how they don't understand why Atreus is there and his power should just be incorporated back into Kratos. Cory was realizing the whole point of the game wasn't coming through. Kinda wish they had spent some more time talking about how they solved that problem.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The part that got me was the part where they were doing focus testing and the players were talking about Atreus. Cory was laughing off their comments at first ("OP freezer"?) but then they show that shot of him just kinda staring at the monitors while you hear all of the comments coming in about how they don't understand why Atreus is there and his power should just be incorporated back into Kratos. Cory was realizing the whole point of the game wasn't coming through. Kinda wish they had spent some more time talking about how they solved that problem.

While the documentary doesn't go that much into it, the main designer for Atreus actually gave a full talk about it in his GDC talk Raising Atreus

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Amazing documentary! Can't say enough about how amazing it was and how much more it makes me appreciate the people behind this spectacular game.

Also, noticed the camera made sure not to pan too far to the right on this shot of characters ;)

28:55 timestamp

I think everyone who finished the game can figure out who they left out there since we see a tiny piece of them.