• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefaultp6jeg.jpg

What is this?

Raising Kratos documents the five year, herculean effort to reinvent one of the greatest stories in gaming, God of War. Facing an unknown future, Santa Monica Studio took a massive risk, fundamentally changing their beloved franchise and re-establishing their rightful place in video game history. More than just a "making of," this cinematic journey of second chances rooted in family, sacrifice, struggle and doubt follows game director Cory Barlog and those who chase perfection in art and storytelling. Witness the incredible defeats, the unpredictable outcomes and the down-to-the-wire tension on full display in this true-life redemption story.

When will it be available?

t1557475200z4.png

What do I do in the meantime?

Will this improve my Sandwhich making skills?

f50.gif

Warning: This Documentary will contain spoilers and so will this thread

Note from me:

I took a more lighthearted tone for this OP. I didn't have any intention to make it seem like game development is easy. Because it's not, as this documentary is showing.
I am going to request a thread title change if people can agree on one. The OP will remain the same, unless someone at SSM or any person that worked on this game in some form or another does have a problem with it, I will gladly change it then.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Nice OT! Looking forward to this one. :P

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Super hyped. I love documentaries like this, and I love Cory. Will be super interesting to see what went into their process for rebooting the franchise so successfully.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't watched a lot of game dev documentaries, like, basically zero. After stumbling over Barlog's GDC talk thanks to autoplay I stopped and listened, though. It was actually fascinating stuff. And all that talk of stuff being cut for time/budget/manpower reasons in what was a big first party peoject that turned out to be a GOTY award winner x100...intriguing.

It also probably helps that I started GoW4 last year shortly after release, stopped halfway through and started again in Feb after having a son in October.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited for this. Hopefully they talk a bit more about their canceled project while they're at it.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hyped as hell to watch this.

I recommend everyone to watch the documentaries they did for the past GOW games. They are well done.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched a lot of game dev documentaries, like, basically zero. After stumbling over Barlog's GDC talk thanks to autoplay I stopped and listened, though. It was actually fascinating stuff. And all that talk of stuff being cut for time/budget/manpower reasons in what was a big first party peoject that turned out to be a GOTY award winner x100...intriguing.

It also probably helps that I started GoW4 last year shortly after release, stopped halfway through and started again in Feb after having a son in October.

Well, turns out you were right. Just watched this, and it's both hilarious and incredibly interesting. Well worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIb-Lt7WX_s

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
On a tangential note, it bums me out that ND never did a long behind the scenes documentary for Uncharted 4 as they did with TLoU. Presumably, it had to do with early development woes and Amy Hennig's departure.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Just like I tend to do with long Directs and E3 keynotes, I'll be watching this with snacks and a few beers. Friday night is set!

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This is going to be so good.

Getting to see Jeremy Davies be awesome on the mocap stage.

Hopefully there's some Troy Baker and Nolan North funny business in there too.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Hope they show alot of cut content, cory said some amazing battles had to be cut, would be awesome to see some of it.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Super hyped but damn, didn't know it released so late.. Won't be able to watch it until Sunday.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I will not be able to update the OT up until a few hours the doc will be out. So feel free to report the OP with a link provided so a mod can edit it in. Thanks!.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy, everybody! Hope it gives some good insights into some of the utterly exhausting and absolutley blissful moments of game dev like this.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Can work be over already so I can watch this!

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy, everybody! Hope it gives some good insights into some of the utterly exhausting and absolutley blissful moments of game dev like this.
Thanks so much! Is YouTube the best place to watch this or is there a higher quality version available anywhere?