• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
This was an absolutely great documentary, more emotional than I expected to get watching it to be honest great work to all involved.

I really hope that people can see that behind the scenes a lot of hard work is done and people are always hoping to create the best product they can. We often forget the human factor involved and while this was, in the end, was (thankfully) a massively successful game but plenty of that same passion does not end up with success in this industry.

We should all try and be more level headed about games.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Great documentary. The real-world sacrifice and emotion was fantastic and heartbreaking to see.

gadwin

Nov 1, 2017
Amazing documentary! Would love to see stuff like this from all of Sonys major studios.

A little moment, but I loved when during the E3 reveal, the perfect timing with the insane crowd cheers when Bear McCreary raising his arms. The look on his face. <3

And Scott Rohde comes off as such an lovely guy, Sony WWS really have some genuine guys on top positions.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
A fantastic documentary that highlights what a monumental achievement this was for the medium. Everyone involved should feel so much pride in what they accomplished. I just hope they have an easier time with the sequel.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching it. Goddamn. Kudos to the people behind the game. It is always fascinating to get a peak behind the curtains and see what the people go through and the sacrifices they make to deliver a game. It really puts things into perspective.

I really hope people do not say hurtful things about any game. If you don't like it, then just say what about it didn't work for you and move on. Constantly saying something sucks, is garbage, lazy devs , generic, etc.... can be hurtful and demoralizing to people putting their heart and soul into a game.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm 1:12 in and still no Jeremy Davies. He's not in this?

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched it and it was a good docu. The team absolutely deserved the results.

Elfzonder

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Great documentary. Kudos to all the dev team' hardwork! Can't wait to face You Know Who in the sequel!!!

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Watched it. Very well done. Liked it a lot.

That said, the bit where Shannon is like "I don't think I want to answer that now" about the work/life balance stuff straight up got me.

Like Schreier says, industry is not sustainable at these costs. Needs to be addressed. I want devs to know that I don't want their games at the cost of them not seeing their kids/families.

Also that bit with Cory and the review scores got me just as hard as it did last year.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This documentary illustrates that journey perfectly, the highs, the lows, the doubts, the cliff that comes towards the finish line that either soars or crumbles. It's a unique, rewarding, sacrificing, profession; yet most who do it wouldn't want to do anything else.
Indeed, and I do wish a lot of people would watch this documentary if for nothing more to understand development just a little bit more, to have a bit more empathy for the people making them (even when they as product do not come out so well, critique can be fair and it allows us to grow too). Even when being blessed to have worked in environments with stable 40hr work weeks (at pretty much all times), the pressure and constant sense of doubt can easily be there. Hell, that too creates a voice in the back of your head asking whether you're doing enough, working hard enough, pushing for greatness even if you know that ultimately for the business just the cost of overworking staff does not make sense. Then of course you have post-ship depression where you think you'd finally be able to relax, but instead struggle with finding meaning before jumping back in the saddle. That said, I couldn't think of another thing currently that I'd rather spend my energy on, having gotten so much from games and being so glad to work with other amazing developers that make each challenge worth it, and are there to support when the hour seems the darkest.

The doc itself was great and furthered my admiration for the amazing talent and people at SSM (which was high enough already, and I'm glad to have had the chance of talking design and production with one of them). I wish I could hug each and every person at the studio (I must admit, watching the scene where Yumi and Shannon talked about the sacrifices they'd made was difficult to watch, to say the least), but maybe MDSVeritas and Brunobi can spread some more love, around the studio you all rock! <3

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I sorta wish they would've animated Kratos crying when he gets called a monster. Probably would've been the most notable instance of a male character crying in a video game instead of looking sad.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great documentary showing how tough the process was. It also helps clarify exactly why I felt there weren't enough boss fights in the game.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
This did give me some new perspective that I hadn't thought about. I always felt that on a personal level, games were not worth the work and stress that was put into them because I just play them to pass the time. What I hadn't considered is that thousands of people respond to the thing you made and I am just one of them. It is not worth it for me to be impacted, but to see the response from thousands might be.
However at the end of the day I personally don't think any relationship I have with my loved ones is worth sacrificing for my job.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Decided to watch TLOU Grounded documentary, it was certainly great but this GoW one really did kick it up a huge notch in every way. Really hoping we get something like this for all of Sony's huge productions, maybe even some of the smaller ones like Dreams as well :)

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Got around to watching this over the weekend. Amazing how much work went into this. Chris Judge pulled out all the damn stops with his acting for Kratos.

The thing that's sticking with me the most, though, is Cory's reaction to seeing the reviews for the first time. I can't even imagine seeing years of your hard work boiled down to two little numbers on a computer screen.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay that was fantastic - I'd happily have watched twice that much, it felt like so much was only touching the surface of what went on because of how much was needed to cover. The Santa Monica team should be damn proud.

And damn I never really knew Chris Judge outside of the fact he was in Stargate (which I never watched) but he seems like such an awesome dude. The whole cast do tbf, they did well there.
THe last thing I saw him in was some sharknado something flick...yeah.

Oct 25, 2017
That was easily the most I've ever enjoyed a documentary. They almost always put me to sleep (even the ones about stuff I'm passionate about), I was just gonna have it on while I cleaned my studio, but I was glued to my screen the entire time.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
That was easily the most I've ever enjoyed a documentary. They almost always put me to sleep (even the ones about stuff I'm passionate about), I was just gonna have it on while I cleaned my studio, but I was glued to my screen the entire time.
Did you see the one on The Last Of Us? I didn't see it all since I didn't have time, but after watching this I saw that one and only recently took a brief look at it.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I just re-watched this.

I hope we see more of them. It's a great exemplar of what a videogame documentary should be.

Great documentary.

SSM putting in the work.

It reminds me why I left game dev.

Not at all surprised.

A little moment, but I loved when during the E3 reveal, the perfect timing with the insane crowd cheers when Bear McCreary raising his arms. The look on his face. <3

Also not surprised.

I'm impressed that it doesn't shy away from the personal toll it takes on the people who make the games we all love can be, and although people will inevitably argue over the reasons for putting content like this out, I hope we see more of this kind of thing from first party studios (or anyone, really) whose games we're going to enjoy next gen and beyond.

Makes me appreciate the outcome even more. Keep it up and more like this please!