• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Games I'm actually gonna buy that were shown in the event (not all of them day 1, ofc):
Ragnarok
Wolverine
Spider-Man 2
KOTOR (I'll give a try)
Death Loop
Ghostwire: Tokyo
GT7
Uncharted collection
Forspoken
Alan Wake remastered
GTA V

Not bad for a 40 minute long event

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Wait, do we have hard sales for Spider-Man and GoW 2018? Last I knew the only data we had was that both sold over 20m. Is it because we're including the remaster for Spider-Man giving it a bump?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, do we have hard sales for Spider-Man and GoW 2018? Last I knew the only data we had was that both sold over 20m. Is it because we're including the remaster for Spider-Man giving it a bump?
We have no data. 20m is based on reasonable assumptions after how both have sold since release and latest known figures. Spider-Man was very probably over 20m before PS5's edition last year.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Crazy numbers. And Sony/Marvel's partnership is only getting started.

I could see a scenario where Sony expands Insomniac so they can tackle a couple more games simultaneously so they can make games for Marvel, their own existing IP and original IP all at the same time. If they can expand their productivity formula to an extra team or two then that'd be amazing.

Since they've got NYC built for Spider-Man I can easily see Insomniac tackle an Iron Man game as well.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see a scenario where Sony expands Insomniac so they can tackle a couple more games simultaneously so they can make games for Marvel, their own existing IP and original IP all at the same time. If they can expand their productivity formula to an extra team or two then that'd be amazing.

Since they've got NYC built for Spider-Man I can easily see Insomniac tackle an Iron Man game as well.

They already have an Iron Man game with the VR one on PSVR. I could imagine a sequel with the horsepower of the PS5 and the much improved controllers of the PSVR2 could be amazing.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
They already have an Iron Man game with the VR one on PSVR. I could imagine a sequel with the horsepower of the PS5 and the much improved controllers of the PSVR2 could be amazing.

I know, I'm referring to a much larger scale Iron Man game that can be played on TV or in VR. something that might be beyond the scope of a smaller team like Camouflaj.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
HFW, GT7 and GoW:R will make for another very strong year for Sony, and that's without even taking the third party exclusives and anything else that might get announced for 2022. Perhaps we'll get some Ratchet (standalone) DLC like Miles.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
X-Men Origins: Wolverine game was far better than it had any right to be. I'm hoping Insomniac makes something far greater.

No worries on Spider-Man 2 after the first one and playing through Miles Morales. Look forward to seeing what they can do with it when not having to worry about it running on a PS4.

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
The complaints from ERA regarding the event or saying that sony is going "creatively bankrupt" is not at odds with the fact that the superhero games and the sequel to the super popular game were the biggest games of the event lol. I

f anything that confirms that their plan is working and we might see more and more sequels and super hero games.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Glad to see GoW over Spiderman, even if it is by a hair.
The gameplay looked amazing, even if (obviously) similar to previous every. The 4k trailer is also as crisp as it can be, and i don't know if it was using RT, but some reflections on the water looked great.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
X-Men Origins: Wolverine game was far better than it had any right to be. I'm hoping Insomniac makes something far greater.

No worries on Spider-Man 2 after the first one and playing through Miles Morales. Look forward to seeing what they can do with it when not having to worry about it running on a PS4.
Building interiors was one of the limitations pointed out in a GDC, so that will probably happen.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda funny I was literally watching the Tony Todd episode of Criminal Minds (first time watching the show), just before the showcase happened and was commenting to my wife about how great his voice is, just so much power... and then hearing him as Venom, too damned cool. Whoever picked him, stay blessed.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit...

I am honestly mad surprised at those numbers. God of War surpassing Spider-man 2 viewership? Wolverine at 7+ Million?! Jesus.

Happy for Forspoken breaking 1+ million too! In under 24 hours.

Playstation is just such a powerhouse brand right now. I mean, i guess they have been for a while. The growth they've managed to achieve with the God of War IP is seriously special.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Wolverine numbers aren't the biggest surprise, i mean it's a Sony exclusive Wolverine game... biggest surprise is that GoW is bigger than both Spiderman and Wolverine.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit...

I am honestly mad surprised at those numbers. God of War surpassing Spider-man 2 viewership? Wolverine at 7+ Million?! Jesus.

Happy for Forspoken breaking 1+ million too! In under 24 hours.

Playstation is just such a powerhouse brand right now. I mean, i guess they have been for a while. The growth they've managed to achieve with the God of War IP is seriously special.
I wanna think its gameplay vs an in engine scene. (God of War vs SP2 (was there anything that coulda been gameplay, that Spider-Man attack, maybe?)

If its that...Wolverine getting 7 million plus is unbelievably mind boggling.

How Insomniac will do Wolverine is gonna be interesting.

There was alot of gameplay for God of War...ppl like gameplay.

Jul 2, 2021
There was alot of gameplay for God of War...ppl like gameplay.
People like Kratos.
d46lvis-407d8722-3c17-4d02-aa34-d6fcaa559ec3.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Gran Turismo isn't more, I thought it was still a cultural touchstone that non-gamers get excited about. But that probably translates to sales having legs more than trailer views.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
The PlayStation show reiterated why I currently hate myself when it comes to Sony. I think a lot of their practices have been kinda shitty this generation so far but they continue to make games I love so I throw money at them. This show had the most games I was interested in out of all of the presentations we have seen this year. So many good games coming to PlayStation exclusively or first.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for the best from Insomniac.

Definitely among the best investments in gaming

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Also I just checked the first page search results on YT (with date and view count filters applied) and didn't even count the reaction videos and these are current the numbers:

GoW:R +13 Million
Spider-Man 2 +11 Million
Wolverine +9 Million

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Everyone loves Spidey and the Rogue gallery and it's way too long since a we've seen the x-men.

The potential of them together is huge.

I can't wait.

God of War Ragnarök & SM2 are going to be huge.
They are already like 3 main teams with the Miles Morales team now on Wolverine, SM 2018 team on SM2 & ofc the R&C team probably working on another R&C game. Hard to expand upon that.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gran Turismo 7 doing rough. Compared to Forza Horizon later this year it doesn't look that impressive. The new F1 game this year even looks more technically impressive.

Unsure how they can get people excited for it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
God of War Ragnarök & SM2 are going to be huge.

They are already like 3 main teams with the Miles Morales team now on Wolverine, SM 2018 team on SM2 & ofc the R&C team probably working on another R&C game. Hard to expand upon that.

Oh yeah I was talking about expanding 'em even further to 4-5 teams. They're incredibly efficient as it stands and such an expansion would allow them to work on 2 Marvel IP's, one of their existing IPs and new IPs, with room for a VR title.

I mean, they're already capable of handling 3 projects, and all Sony studios are still expanding so who's to say they couldn't eventually hit 4-5 with enough additional bodies.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Gran Turismo 7 doing rough. Compared to Forza Horizon later this year it doesn't look that impressive. The new F1 game this year even looks more technically impressive.

Forza Horizon 5 looks more impressive than GT7. But GT7 looks great as well and definitely much better than F1 games.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Spider-Man at 10 million views on just the PS channel. It's going to be massive. The hype is real

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

Nah. Having it look like GTSport but now with dynamic time, weather, and procedural 3d volumetric clouds is impressive.

image_gran_turismo_7-43845-4502_0013.jpg

image_gran_turismo_7-43845-4502_0012.jpg

image_gran_turismo_7-43845-4502_0010.jpg

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Having it look like GTSport but now with dynamic time, weather, and procedural 3d volumetric clouds is impressive.

I'm really curious to see how the game looks on a PS4. If the game on a PS4 will have all the same features I can see they severely sacrificing the resolution to get this thing running at decent framerates.