• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
It's a poor implementation as it doesn't have a configurable display mapper. It ends up too bright with clippped whites or too dark to the point of being hard to see.
The colours and mood of many areas are significantly different if you are in HDR
Thanks. That makes sense. I could never get it to get right, so I just stuck with SDR.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
A C9, yeah. It's perfectly horizontal at the very centre of the screen (it's perfectly aligned with the crosshair). EDIT: It's happening in both Midgar and at the World Tree, so clearly something's up.
Yeah that's a thing on all C9s. There are actually three horizontal lines evenly spaced (top, middle, bottom) and it's just how they're manufactured. The middle often more pronounced however. Difficult/impossible to see on typical content or test slides or even banding video tests. Most will never notice them, only visible on content with pastel-like colouring (eg hazey skies) and with 60fps and combined with camera movement of videogames also helps the eyes to see it - and then it's difficult to "unsee" it. If you want the ultimate test then play Journey if you've got it - the light browns easily demonstrate it.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Watched some 4K videos on Youtube on my new 4K Projector.
Fucking hell, that makes a big difference on a 100 inch screen! I mean, the game looks incredible and not THAT much different from how it looked on PS4 Pro but it's definitely sharper/ more clear. 60 fps certainly helps with that.

Now i only need a PS5..................

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's a poor implementation as it doesn't have a configurable display mapper. It ends up too bright with clippped whites or too dark to the point of being hard to see.
The colours and mood of many areas are significantly different if you are in HDR

Wow, thanks for posting on this. I'd never tried it in SDR until I saw this post, and so went back and disabled HDR on PS5 (as automatic forces it on everything) and then disabled HDR within GOW and the game looks much better now. It seems to be clearer and have more detail in SDR over HDR.

Glad I realised this before I get too far into the game. Not sure why they bothered to add HDR if it seems to be problematic.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Glad it got a patch, still waiting to jump into this but it will happen maybe after I go into Control later this month.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Yeah the game looks way better in HDR, even if I was never able to make much of its calibration settings.

Mr_Kuschels

Oct 25, 2017
HDR is such a mess. Got an LG CX just a couple months ago and pretty much every game I've tried with HDR on since then, seems to have issues with it.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Watched some 4K videos on Youtube on my new 4K Projector.
Fucking hell, that makes a big difference on a 100 inch screen! I mean, the game looks incredible and not THAT much different from how it looked on PS4 Pro but it's definitely sharper/ more clear. 60 fps certainly helps with that.

Now i only need a PS5..................

Which projector did you get?

Dec 6, 2017
US
Yeah the game looks way better in HDR, even if I was never able to make much of its calibration settings.

I could never nail the settings down either and didn't really uh...understand the calibration screen even for some bizarre reason I forgot now. That being said, it still looked way better in HDR in my opinion despite my random settings.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Which projector did you get?
Optoma UHD42 (i believe it has a different number on the USA market).
it's bright, sharp, 4K, fast refresh rate (240Hz for silky smooth gaming even), HDR, Full 3D, 24fps mode for movies, and HDMI 2.0.
It's advertised as a gaming projector (input lag 15,7 ms). And i'm extremely happy with it. Also for movies and series.

For what it can do, it's pretty affordable imo.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I hope they remove/improve the "eye adaptation" brightness change when moving between bright and dark areas in Ragnarok. It is way too harsh. In HDR, the general idea is that you own eyes will do this, not the game. It feels wrong in HDR.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I hope they remove/improve the "eye adaptation" brightness change when moving between bright and dark areas in Ragnarok. It is way too harsh. In HDR, the general idea is that you own eyes will do this, not the game. It feels wrong in HDR.
Yeah HZD has the same issue, I agree it's unnecessary and distracting in HDR. But GoW released when most players were still using non-HDR TVs.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just got the Platinum because of this patch! The final Valkyrie fight was very tough (even on Easy) but I pulled through in the end.

Now if only TLoU:P2 could get some next-gen news so it could join this, Ghost of Tshushima, Spider-Man:MM and Astrobot in my 'PS5 Platinums' list.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
yeah! i hate those vague settings for hdr in games.
they basically boil down to "try to make the image look good" lol
Yup.
It would be amazing to be able just tell the game what the TV can display. (At least show us the numbers in options.)

Black is black
Paperwhite or LDR rec709 white point 100-150 nits, Highlights 700.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
HDR is such a mess. Got an LG CX just a couple months ago and pretty much every game I've tried with HDR on since then, seems to have issues with it.
I agree. One game has a poor implementation, the other doesn't support it at all so it looks terrible with PS5's always on HDR etc.

I'm tempted to just turn it off for good and play everything in SDR.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I agree. One game has a poor implementation, the other doesn't support it at all so it looks terrible with PS5's always on HDR etc.

I'm tempted to just turn it off for good and play everything in SDR.
As someone with an older TV with bad HDR I can at least tell you if you take some time to calibrate SDR to your own preference it can look magical and holds up quite well. It's not HDR but if you're unhappy it's a viable option if you look into it.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the Platinum because of this patch! The final Valkyrie fight was very tough (even on Easy) but I pulled through in the end.

Now if only TLoU:P2 could get some next-gen news so it could join this, Ghost of Tshushima, Spider-Man:MM and Astrobot in my 'PS5 Platinums' list.
I actually did as well, but all I was missing was some ravens and an artifact or two. Revisiting this game after the patch, even if only for some item collecting, was well worth it.

I do, however, hope it's the last of its kind. I was reminded with my issues with this game, traversal-wise. It takes f*cking forever to get anywhere even with the gateways. You can very easily tell now how each long hallway is just a glorified loading screen.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Cheers, appreciate your replies regarding HDR. Last couple of posts before my original one reported issues with it so that's why I asked.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Optoma UHD42 (i believe it has a different number on the USA market).
it's bright, sharp, 4K, fast refresh rate (240Hz for silky smooth gaming even), HDR, Full 3D, 24fps mode for movies, and HDMI 2.0.
It's advertised as a gaming projector (input lag 15,7 ms). And i'm extremely happy with it. Also for movies and series.

For what it can do, it's pretty affordable imo.

Nice. I've used a 1080p projector for many years and I loved it. Eventually I ended up buying a 4K OLED. IQ is for sure superior but I miss having a stupidly large screen.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I've used a 1080p projector for many years and I loved it. Eventually I ended up buying a 4K OLED. IQ is for sure superior but I miss having a stupidly large screen.
Yep, black values and colours certainly can't compete with an Oled. But we've been using a 1080p projector for 15 years now. (Well, a 720p in the beginning) and we simply can't go back.
Didn't expect 4k to be such a big difference, by the way. On bigger sizes it's like you get new glasses.
Might consider an Oled for my son's mancave. Any tips?

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Just like Days Gone, I'm blown away by this on PS5. Would love it even more if they added haptic feedback somehow.

They would have to do a native version of the game to add it and I don't think it's going to happen. Shame because haptics are so fucking good.

Yep, black values and colours certainly can't compete with an Oled. But we've been using a 1080p projector for 15 years now. (Well, a 720p in the beginning) and we simply can't go back.
Didn't expect 4k to be such a big difference, by the way. On bigger sizes it's like you get new glasses.
Might consider an Oled for my son's mancave. Any tips?

My OLED is 55 inches and I can definitely say that in 4K there's too much resolution for too little screen. I imagine 4K really flourishes in screens 70 inches and beyond. I laugh every time I hear people talking about 8K. In the screen sizes we have today it is such a waste.

Man, let's stop talking about it. You're making me consider going back to projectors.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I think that'll hold back some of the inevitable patches (looking at YOU, FF7R). Now that loaf times aren't an issue on ps5, the baked-in load time corridors seem all the more egregious
Exactly, I'm sure I'm more aware of it now after having plat'd Demon's Souls, for example.

The switch in philosophy in game design is what I look forward to the most for this gen.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Yeah that's a thing on all C9s. There are actually three horizontal lines evenly spaced (top, middle, bottom) and it's just how they're manufactured. The middle often more pronounced however. Difficult/impossible to see on typical content or test slides or even banding video tests. Most will never notice them, only visible on content with pastel-like colouring (eg hazey skies) and with 60fps and combined with camera movement of videogames also helps the eyes to see it - and then it's difficult to "unsee" it. If you want the ultimate test then play Journey if you've got it - the light browns easily demonstrate it.
Finally noticed one while playing Ghosts a few weeks ago and now I see it everywhere while panning cameras lol. Ignorance is bliss

Hopefully I never find the other 2

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Finally playing through this after even taking the day off work to buy it day one, and it's freakin amazing. The game direction in this is something else. Wow

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
No OLED for me. My gaming TV is a comparatively modest Phillips Ambilight and the HDR still looks pretty damn awesome on it.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
So, do you think Ragnarok will be 60fps or 30fps with some advanced graphics stuff (like RT)?

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Mile Morales last night. This will be my next game. Luckily, I have only a 4 day work week this week.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I came home from work tonight and watched Wandavision. After I was done with Wandavision,I was going to start the game and only play 15-30 minutes, but ended up playing for 2 hours. Wow. If I didn't know better, I would think it was a remaster.