• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those that have played both, is the 4k 60 fps checkerboard as solid with the frame rate as the old 1080p 60 fps mode?

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Well, I know what I'm replaying this month! Been waiting to replay this on PS5, only beat it once and PS4 Pro and loved it!

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
This game now impress me more than gears 5 on xbsx. Maybe I need to play Gears 5 again. I think beside some obvious lower res shadows, this game look better. One can argue gears 5 has some large open segment, but those segment look terrible compare to the linear portion even in max setting. Just some neat sand and snow trails effects.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This game now impress me more than gears 5 on xbsx. Maybe I need to play Gears 5 again. I think beside some obvious lower res shadows, this game look better. One can argue gears 5 has some large open segment, but those segment look terrible compare to the linear portion even in max setting. Just some neat sand and snow trails effects.

Honestly God of War is considerably better looking than Gears 5. Gears 5 looks good but I wouldn't put it even in the Top 10 from last gen (I played it on PC).

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Honestly God of War is considerably better looking than Gears 5. Gears 5 looks good but I wouldn't put it even in the Top 10 from last gen (I played it on PC).
I agree, I finished Gears 5 in January and while I think it's absolutely one of the best looking games from last gen, I'd have to give an edge to God of War. Kratos character model alone just looks ridiculous, that beard is legendary.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Certain things are better in gears 5. Depending on which version of Gears you are comparing to. On xbsx, effects quality are higher in gears 5, like shadows etc, also its screen space reflection too and new ssgi lighting. There is no fair comparison really due to staggered hw configurations.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
One thing I've noticed is that the axe recall is way less satisfying on the DualSense. You just get a second of generic vibration rather than the 'thud' on the DS4. I guess because it's just (poorly) emulating the old tech. Should be really good on the next GoW game specifically designed for the DualSense though.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
So I was up until 3am replaying this for the 4th or 5th time...looks & feels like it was released yesterday.

While it would be nice to have some improved haptics, maybe some work done on the low-res god-rays and tidying up some of the reconstruction heat-haze, that would all have required extensive QA & $$$ to do. Instead, I'm very happy with this patch, and insanely excited for what SSM will do with what is hopefully a PS5-native Ragnarok.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Gears 5 feels like a more consistent experience. God of War's lighting looks flat in many outdoor areas. In the right scene, it can also look fantastic.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 5 feels like a more consistent experience. God of War's lighting looks flat in many outdoor areas. In the right scene, it can also look fantastic.

I find the colour palette in God of War 2018 pretty gaudy at times too. Gears of War is very consistent in the linear chapters, it just doesn't have the peak levels other first party games might. The "open world" sections do not like like anything special at all though, especially the third act.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've noticed is that the axe recall is way less satisfying on the DualSense. You just get a second of generic vibration rather than the 'thud' on the DS4. I guess because it's just (poorly) emulating the old tech. Should be really good on the next GoW game specifically designed for the DualSense though.

I've noticed the same. I still have a pair of dual shocks, maybe I should bust them out

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy hell. It looks incredible and plays even better.

Just fought the Stranger. Now I need to weigh if I want to jump into a full replay. Super tempted, but it also feels like it might be more appropriate closer to Ragnarok's release.

On the other hand it's kind of barren out here right now. And I have time. Might not be the case in a year or so.

Guess I'll just see how I feel next time I boot up the PS5 to play something. Awesome update. One of the best gets even better.
So 24 hours later and I just
Cut off Mimir's head

That was quick. I stayed up until 3am last night. Game is so damn good. I say this for every PS4 game I play. But the console being quiet is such an improvement from an annoyance that doesn't sound so bad, but always lessened my experience. I cannot freakin wait for Ragnarok. This is such such a masterfully made game. I don't see how they don't blow us all away again. The formula is sooo good.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

It feels and looks so good looking forward to playing through again as soon as I finish 13 Sentinels.

Bro fist. I'm also playing through 13 Sentinels, and want to wrap that up before moving on to the rest of my massive backlog. Such an awesome game.

I also already beat GoW, so, while I'm loving how it looks and feels at 4k60, I can hold off returning to it for now!

burn

Oct 27, 2017
My game crashed when loading a 1.0 autosave but a previous manual save worked correctly.

Happy to get all updates and 60fps now.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Certain things are better in gears 5. Depending on which version of Gears you are comparing to. On xbsx, effects quality are higher in gears 5, like shadows etc, also its screen space reflection too and new ssgi lighting. There is no fair comparison really due to staggered hw configurations.

No, I haven't played it on SX, I've played on PC at launch. Only saw videos from the SX version so I won't judge.

To me the environments are so much detailed in GoW. It really excels in that area. Character models also. Gears 5 have higher res textures, from what I remember. The thing that impressed me more about Gears 5 was the HDR implementation. Truly one of the best.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The game looks absolutely amazing and, damn, I'm so glad that I'm getting this upgrade for free instead of having to deal with a bunch of repurchasing and cross-save shenanigans. Right now I'm headed towards the Platinum; felt like the game deserved it :)

One thing that is bugging me. In a few outdoor areas there is a noticeable, yet faint, straight line directly in the middle of the screen, but only when looking at certain parts of the skybox. Like in the primary area of Midgard it only happens in the dull-ish blue sky in-between the clouds. It's not overly distracting, but it just baffles me as to how it's gotten there. Oh, and I have checked to see if it's a TV issue as well and it's not; all burn-in and banding tests I've tried showed my TV as being perfectly fine.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I've been commenting on this for a while, but there's nothing anyone can really do about it. It's a problem with any game that uses DS4 rumble in an even remotely interesting way. The way old rumble works is not really directly compatible with the new Haptics, and I don't think it can be properly emulated as a general case. If the developers were to add a proper DS haptic support in the game, that would be a different story altogether, as they could create a proper *thud* etc, but new haptics can't be accessed from the PS4 games. The only solution is to play PS4 games with DS4, which is what I'm doing.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The game looks absolutely amazing and, damn, I'm so glad that I'm getting this upgrade for free instead of having to deal with a bunch of repurchasing and cross-save shenanigans. Right now I'm headed towards the Platinum; felt like the game deserved it :)

One thing that is bugging me. In a few outdoor areas there is a noticeable, yet faint, straight line directly in the middle of the screen, but only when looking at certain parts of the skybox. Like in the primary area of Midgard it only happens in the dull-ish blue sky in-between the clouds. It's not overly distracting, but it just baffles me as to how it's gotten there. Oh, and I have checked to see if it's a TV issue as well and it's not; all burn-in and banding tests I've tried showed my TV as being perfectly fine.
A faint horizontal line? You don't have a C9 or CX OLED by any chance do you?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about Gears being consistent. The opening area is jaw dropping and then as soon as you're in an underground bunker or the hallway of a building it's a visual snoozefest.

From what I played the outdoor areas far outclassed the interiors.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I've been commenting on this for a while, but there's nothing anyone can really do about it. It's a problem with any game that uses DS4 rumble in an even remotely interesting way. The way old rumble works is not really directly compatible with the new Haptics, and I don't think it can be properly emulated as a general case. If the developers were to add a proper DS haptic support in the game, that would be a different story altogether, as they could create a proper *thud* etc, but new haptics can't be accessed from the PS4 games. The only solution is to play PS4 games with DS4, which is what I'm doing.
PS4 games on DS4 with back-button attachment, as God intended.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
No, I haven't played it on SX, I've played on PC at launch. Only saw videos from the SX version so I won't judge.

To me the environments are so much detailed in GoW. It really excels in that area. Character models also. Gears 5 have higher res textures, from what I remember. The thing that impressed me more about Gears 5 was the HDR implementation. Truly one of the best.
GoW texture is overall more even because the open map segment of Gears 5 take a huge dive in texture quality. Close up texture in cut scene with ultra texture pack is better than gow but not available on one x. Closest comparison would be xbx one x to ps4 pro. Gears 5 runs at 60fps but res can drop pretty low even with up sampling, shimmer become very noticable and IQ is not great even with world class TAA. Gow on the otherhand is a fixed 2160p checkerboard but 30fps. Overally what SMS pull out of the ps4 and pro is much more impressive than Coalition imo especially its an in house engine rather than a 3rd party middlewere even if its highly customized. If you compare the xbsx version of Gears to gow after the new patch, even if you factor in the new tech and higher quality effects work, GoW at 4k 60fps stand on its own tell you how impressive SMS did.

Mar 31, 2018
I disagree because of the raised black levels. Looks better (on OLED) in SDR IMO.

Or did they fix the raised blacks after release?

I honestly wouldn't know, if I am honest. I don't see that issue but I am by no means expert in that though I obviously can tell bad HDR from good HDR. It's not much of an answer, I know, but it looks absolutely fantastic on my XF90 and is viewed by many as great demonstration of HDR.

I still think GT Sport is the best, for what it's worth (e: from the HDR games I played, obviously :P I'm sure it's beaten by now)

Most OLEDs tend to struggle with HDR because they can't produce the retina scorching brightness that some other sets can (obviously they more than make up for it in other ways with respect to picture quality).

Oh, timing, haha. Guess maybe that's some answer

Plum

May 31, 2018
A faint horizontal line? You don't have a C9 or CX OLED by any chance do you?

A C9, yeah. It's perfectly horizontal at the very centre of the screen (it's perfectly aligned with the crosshair). EDIT: It's happening in both Midgar and at the World Tree, so clearly something's up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible how much a simple increase to 4K60fps can do for some games.
Some games it can really be transformative IMO. I hope that's the case here.

I originally played this on Pro in performance mode as frames really matter to me, but it was very variable, had hitching, etc. and would really take me out of it. It was a regular annoyance. Switching to 30FPS was also very jarring as well, and I feel it all really hurt the game for me as I honestly thought it was mediocre at best.

I'll give it another try though after this patch. See if it makes it a better game for me. Other games it always does. I think Darksiders 3 console to PC is the biggest WTF recently. Bad game somehow became really good.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So look.

Raytracing is great. But after seeing a few titles with it, I think it's rarely transformative (those being the Spider-Man remaster/MM), but that's mostly due to the presence of huge reflective buildings everywhere.

60fps, however, in most titles, IS transformative. We know Insomniac will offer performance modes all over the place. Do we think we can count on the same for Sony's other prestige studios, particularly Naughty Dog, which has baked lighting solutions that look as good as raytracing to the untrained (mine) eye?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Is there supposed to be 2 or 3 performance options? I only see 2, 4k 30fps and 4k 60fps. Obviously the 4k 60fps is what I want, but just curious because I thought I should see 3

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
So 24 hours later and I just
Cut off Mimir's head

That was quick. I stayed up until 3am last night. Game is so damn good. I say this for every PS4 game I play. But the console being quiet is such an improvement from an annoyance that doesn't sound so bad, but always lessened my experience. I cannot freakin wait for Ragnarok. This is such such a masterfully made game. I don't see how they don't blow us all away again. The formula is sooo good.

100% with you on the sound.

I find myself playing longer hours due to the console being silent, whereas on ps4 the jet engine was so loud I was constantly worried it would overheat.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Most OLEDs tend to struggle with HDR because they can't produce the retina scorching brightness that some other sets can (obviously they more than make up for it in other ways with respect to picture quality).
HDR looks far better to me on my LG CX compared to my previous Samsung QLED. Peak brightness isn't as high, but it's still very bright, and the lack of any backlight issues improve everything by a lot. GoW speficially looks incredible on it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

They're better for HDR because they have vastly better blacks and contrast than LCDs, they don't need the same peak brightness. If anything most LCDs struggle with HDR due to the lack of local dimming zones.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Game remains very attractive as any aaa exclusive is these days but hell I still don't see what others do as it being a benchmark.

Thought the same in 18 and the same now tsk. Playing on give me god of war for my 2nd playthrough at least so exciting combat

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
To my eyes, my CX seems almost just as bright at my KS9000, to the point where I can't really complain anymore. Spec-wise, I think my KS9000 is supposed to reach nearly twice the peak brightness in comparison.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
To my eyes, my CX seems almost just as bright at my KS9000, to the point where I can't really complain anymore. Spec-wise, I think my KS9000 is supposed to reach nearly twice the peak brightness in comparison.

I believe our sensitivity to light is logarithmic, meaning we don't perceive twice the light output as twice as bright. It may take a 3-4x increase to seem like a doubling (that's just an illustrative example, not the actual numbers).

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
Why the fuck are people discussing Gears in God of War patch thread? Literally irrelevant.

this

giphy.gif

s y

Nov 8, 2017
It looks good. But I wouldn't put it in the top 5 best looking sony first party games even after the patch.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
100%. This is up there with my favourite things about PS4 games on ps5. My pro had just gotten so unbelievably loud and my ps5 makes no noise.
Agree as well. Dreams was the most recent example for me. Game made my ps4 so loud to the point that I didn't really want to play it. Much better with the PS5.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I disagree because of the raised black levels. Looks better (on OLED) in SDR IMO.

Or did they fix the raised blacks after release?
It's a poor implementation as it doesn't have a configurable display mapper. It ends up too bright with clippped whites or too dark to the point of being hard to see.
The colours and mood of many areas are significantly different if you are in HDR