• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good

godofwar_222cwjaj.png

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Really excited to play this one day. It's gonna be great catching up on some Sony first party games with a PS5 Slim or something.

K444wsr

Oct 27, 2017
I've had this in my backlog for a year now. Do I play on my ps4 or wait for when I get a ps5 later in the year? Hmmn

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
A 3 year old PS4 game looking better than most PS5 games is impressive IMO.

There's barely any proper PS5 games anyway, and if God of War released last year on PS4 it would probably look basically the same.

Just goes to show you how much budget, art direction and developer talent means compared to just power. When TLOU 2 and RDR 2 can next gen upgrades they're still gonna look better than almost every third party PS5/SX game too,

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
dude it's not even 3 years old yet LOL what do you mean "still" you make it sound like it's PS2 title playing on PS4

While the game is 3 years old the hardware it was built for is about 8 years old, and since it came out we've seen stuff like Demon's Souls on PS5 and Control with DLSS/RTX at 60fps. No one could blame it for looking a bit dull next to stuff like that, and yet, it still looks crazy good.

dudebro420

Nov 14, 2020
Anyone with a LG CX played around with the in game HDR setting slider? I just want to know if they have a settings they're happy with

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't finish GoW on the PS4 and forgot where I left off but figured I can now finish it with the new patch. Turns out I was already at the end, lol.

Just had to go spread the ashes and that was it.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Been playing over the last two weeks, and was near end-game before patch yesterday. I can vouch for the upgrade. When I play 3D camera games - FPS and 3rd-person both - I sometimes get a little dizzy if I've been playing at a lower frame rate and/or resolution and then I jump to 4k/60 (or close). God of War definitely has more 3D depth to the landscapes and the like with the resolution bumped up. My first few minutes I was indeed a bit woozy - and it had nothing to do with my second cocktail. LOL

Looked great. Had a few bugs last night with Atreus hopping all around on an elevator, Kratos finishing an invisible enemy with a shock grab, etc. Dunno if related or just part of the normal game as it's my first playthrough, but had more last night than the previous 20 hours.

Great game. Lives up to the hype. I have a few quibbles, but overall just excellent, and I highly dislike both 3rd-person games and melee-focused games, so that's high praise. : )

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
this is good shit. Having a good time doing a golden path run ng+. Might even do some of the side quests.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
While the game is 3 years old the hardware it was built for is about 8 years old, and since it came out we've seen stuff like Demon's Souls on PS5 and Control with DLSS/RTX at 60fps. No one could blame it for looking a bit dull next to stuff like that, and yet, it still looks crazy good.

I'm pretty sure God of War is a much more expensive game than both Demon's Souls and Control

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I'm pretty sure God of War is a much more expensive game than both Demon's Souls and Control

Sure, and that's the main reason why it holds up so well. But it's still impressive.

Though I don't know how well we'd be able to compare the budgets of God of War and Demon's Souls. DeS will have been much cheaper because its a remake so there are entire pillars of normal game development that weren't needed and the development could go much smoother due to a lack of creative changes. For all we know, the budgets for things like graphics, animation, general scope, etc could well have been similar.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
dude it's not even 3 years old yet LOL what do you mean "still" you make it sound like it's PS2 title playing on PS4
Dude people are funny about this kind of thing. There's a guy on YouTube who makes videos say does 'Resident Evil 2 Remake still hold up?' Or 'How does DMCV hold up a year later.'

I don't get it

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Sure, and that's the main reason why it holds up so well. But it's still impressive.

Though I don't know how well we'd be able to compare the budgets of God of War and Demon's Souls. DeS will have been much cheaper because its a remake so there are entire pillars of normal game development that weren't needed and the development could go much smoother due to a lack of creative changes. For all we know, the budgets for things like graphics, animation, general scope, etc could well have been similar.

Remake of a cult classic that wasn't AAA to begin with by a third party developer VS Reboot of one of the main Playstation franchises by its original developer and one of Sony's flagship studios

I don't have numbers but i would be really surprised if Demon's Souls had half of God of War budget

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Pretty good except for the pop-in which is more noticable and distracting now with the higher framerate.
Haha yeah, noticed that yesterday when I started a new playthrough just to test the patch. It's not distracting, but I don't think I had noticed it so quickly before. Game still looks great and plays better thanks to the solid 60 fps.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
So i didn't have PS+ for years. I signed back up in 2020 so that my saves would upload to PS+. I thought this would be automatic as I turned on cloud saves. Unfortunately for me the only thing it uploaded were my previous cloud saves from 2014-2017 and the 2020 stuff. Nothing inbetween uploaded. I'm pissed.

Guess I have to replay this game again.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
The thing that continues to really stand out is that character model of Kratos.

Just...goddamn it looks good. Pretty much photo-realistic.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Restarted this up yesterday, definitely my favourite first party game from the PS4 gen. It absolutely shines on ps5, the patch is very welcome. Anybody on the fence and considering waiting for a ps5 but has the PS4 already, I would say the original version still looks and plays great, 60fps is just gravy so play this great game on what ever hardware you have. You don't have to force yourself to wait for the ps5.