• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
Man, I feel like the screenshots don't even do the game justice when it's actually running on your system and TV. I'm playing New Game + on a 50" 4K screen, and damn does this game look good. It's been awesome to see some of these PS4 games have transformative experiences when played on the PS5. Days Gone, Spider-Man Remastered, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima...the framerate and resolution increases really do make a difference. If I was a skeptic before, those games have certainly made me a believer. The only thing that's really missing from, say, GoT, GoW, and Day's Gone, is implementing haptic feedback and adaptive triggers into it.

I'm playing Control UE on PS5 now, and I'm really enjoying the implementation of the haptic feedback thus far. Really good stuff. I hope we can get more PS5 enhancements of PS4 games. I think it highlights that visuals and art design last generation was really, really impressive already, especially from studios that were always rather gifted and talented in the art and tech department.

I really hope Horizon: Zero Dawn, Death Stranding (I believe that's getting a next gen update?), and of course, Bloodborne, get this treatment someday.
Yeah they don't do it justice because you can't see 60fps in screenshots. Seeing it in motion with the increased frame rate which increases motion resolution looks awesome.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The patch deleted my save file, what the hell...?

Only lets me start a new game
That shouldn't be the case. Hurry up and look in online storage before it overwrites.

Game looks great btw on a 1080p set with supersampling. Not a jaggie in site. Had just completed my PS5 replay days ago, and i'm considering a third now.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah they don't do it justice because you can't see 60fps in screenshots. Seeing it in motion with the increased frame rate which increases motion resolution looks awesome.

Oh, definitely. The screenshots are definitely beautiful, but seeing it in motion really does make a world of difference. It's annoying, because I have this massive backlog that I need to continue chipping away at, but then when these updates come out for games I've already beat, I just have to try them out, then get sucked in again XD XD

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I was going to say "Imagine 120fps checkerboard", but we actually already have something that targets that (though is hardly locked) - DMC5 Special Edition. I gotta get on that when I get a new TV.
Dmc 5 reconstruction method is unknown though, and I don't think it's checkerboard based on pc version. Seems like whatever target resolution but running in interlaced mode. Like 2160i, similar technique used in killzone shadow fall MP. Sekiro is actually a perfect example for comparison. DF latest video on the game show you can barely spot any difference between native 1800p on xbsx and 1800cb on ps5. But performance is locked to 60fps on ps5 BC mode with 10tf and yet struggle to lock 60fps on xbsx with 12tf. Definitely a contender to dlss I would say if its this good. Rainow six will have 120fps mode and also using similar technique so I hope someone will make another comparison.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Man, I feel like the screenshots don't even do the game justice when it's actually running on your system and TV. I'm playing New Game + on a 50" 4K screen, and damn does this game look good. It's been awesome to see some of these PS4 games have transformative experiences when played on the PS5. Days Gone, Spider-Man Remastered, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima...the framerate and resolution increases really do make a difference. If I was a skeptic before, those games have certainly made me a believer. The only thing that's really missing from, say, GoT, GoW, and Day's Gone, is implementing haptic feedback and adaptive triggers into it.

I'm playing Control UE on PS5 now, and I'm really enjoying the implementation of the haptic feedback thus far. Really good stuff. I hope we can get more PS5 enhancements of PS4 games. I think it highlights that visuals and art design last generation was really, really impressive already, especially from studios that were always rather gifted and talented in the art and tech department.

I really hope Horizon: Zero Dawn, Death Stranding (I believe that's getting a next gen update?), and of course, Bloodborne, get this treatment someday.

Bang on, can confirm Ghost and days gone look sensational in 60 FPS whilst running at those high resolutions.

So glad I got the plat for ghost whilst playing on ps5 and look forward on getting the days gone plat the same way.

As for god of war, it still is the best looking game last gen and I played on a base PS4.

This is basically a free remaster for me. It looked sensational on a PS4 slim in hdr mode and it already looks and plays extremely well in the new mode.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Control, GoW, GoT, Death Stranding. I have so many games to play and don't know what to play next.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That shouldn't be the case. Hurry up and look in online storage before it overwrites.

Game looks great btw on a 1080p set with supersampling. Not a jaggie in site. Had just completed my PS5 replay days ago, and i'm considering a third now.
Luckily it's not a big deal, I was gonna do a fresh start anyway instead of new game plus. But yea, I'm not seeing other complaints.... I wonder what happened with mine.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
So I watched the recap of previous games, cool cool. However, having been playing the game for like 20ish hours, I don't know if I missed this, but I don't thinkanyone has said Kratos' name? I could be wrong, but my only time having heard the name is from Tales of Symphonia which was krah-tos, not kray-tos, so that caught me off guard and I was like "wait... has nobody said my name?"

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luckily it's not a big deal, I was gonna do a fresh start anyway instead of new game plus. But yea, I'm not seeing other complaints.... I wonder what happened with mine.
Did you check your online storage for your old save?

There's no reason not to start with new game plus if you have the option. You'll get access to better gear.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have PS+, if yes, check to see if you can manually initiate a download from your cloud saves.
So I watched the recap of previous games, cool cool. However, having been playing the game for like 20ish hours, I don't know if I missed this, but I don't thinkanyone has said Kratos' name? I could be wrong, but my only time having heard the name is from Tales of Symphonia which was krah-tos, not kray-tos, so that caught me off guard and I was like "wait... has nobody said my name?"
It checks out, in the Greek saga of the games literally everyone knew who he was, in this Norse game only three people know who he is; his dead wife, a decapitated head and his son.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This may as well be a remaster. Especially since I previously played it on a base PS4 with a non-HDR TV. Playing it now at 60FPS with maybe the best HDR I've seen in a game yet and crisp image quality is fucking stunning.

What sucks is that I'm currently balancing my game time between four games and now I'm adding a replay of this. Oh well.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Man this is amazing. Everything feels so good.

I think you can count on one hand the number of times "Kratos" is heard in GoW 2018.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Bang on, can confirm Ghost and days gone look sensational in 60 FPS whilst running at those high resolutions.

So glad I got the plat for ghost whilst playing on ps5 and look forward on getting the days gone plat the same way.

As for god of war, it still is the best looking game last gen and I played on a base PS4.

This is basically a free remaster for me. It looked sensational on a PS4 slim in hdr mode and it already looks and plays extremely well in the new mode.

I already platinumed GoT (and I'm not even a trophy hunter!), on PS4, but i've been mostly playing Legends on the PS5, and it's fucking awesome. I'm doing a NG+ run on GoT single player, but it's lower on my priority list at the moment.

Also, I forgot to mention TLOU2 in my list of PS4 games I hope get a 4k/60 upgrade on PS5. That game is amazing, gorgeous, and I have no doubt it would be incredible if it got that treatment (especially if ND go the extra mile and add haptic feedback and adaptive trigger support!). I've been holding off replaying TLOU2 for that reason, and I've been itching to revisit it on the PS5.

I think Days Gone has impressed me the most so far, simply because it was already a gorgeous game, but having an improved framerate and higher resolution adds so much to it. For me, it's hard to decide which game is the best looking game of the previous generation, because, honestly, it felt like the gen when a lot of studios (especially first party studios), really upped their game in terms of art design, animation, facial capture, etc, and there are so many. But if I had to narrow my list down to first party PlayStation titles, I'd probably put TLOU2 in first place, God of War second, Days Gone 3rd, Horizon 4th, and GoT 5th. Each of them excel in various areas, but I think TLOU2, GoW, and DG are the most consistent in their visual presentation (ie, environments, facial animation, and overall animation have very minimal "low points" compared to Horizon and GoT). All 5 of them blew me away visually, however (Ghost, I think, takes the crown for most mesmerizingly beautiful environment to me, even if the level of detail isn't on the same level as, say, GoW or TLOU2; the feeling of the environment being alive is just so well executed, though Days Gone environmental and weather effects may be the best i've experienced to date! like i said, it's so damn hard to choose!! XD XD )

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I am so hyped for new God of War. The fact that a PS4 game can look this good without any RDNA2 specific optimization, specced to a Jaguar and a 5400RPM HDD is completely insane. New GoW is going to be mind blowing. These people are wizards.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
This may as well be a remaster. Especially since I previously played it on a base PS4 with a non-HDR TV. Playing it now at 60FPS with maybe the best HDR I've seen in a game yet and crisp image quality is fucking stunning.

What sucks is that I'm currently balancing my game time between four games and now I'm adding a replay of this. Oh well.

I'm in the same boat. Coming from a base ps4 and an old 1080p set... this looks phenomenal. I really wish I had the time to replay it for the third time.

In fact, Days Gone and GoT also look ridicuously good on PS5.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
While the new "4K" mode at 60 is breathtaking, I was very surprised by how good it looked at 1080/60 on my CX. Not a jaggy in sight. It just looks so much sharper now compared to the softer 1080 image. I'm glad I was only about a quarter of the way into my first play through before this patch dropped. As a first time PlayStation owner, getting to play all the amazing PS4 exclusives with enhancements is really something.

Oct 27, 2017

Tried it out, and this game still looks amazing. The HDR is incredible too.
I could be going crazy here, but I'm pretty sure this game has no HDR at all in either Series X or PS5.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Platinumed this on base PS4 on a 27" 1080p monitor.

Started NG+ for the first time today on PS5 on a 55" CX with HDR and 4K/60

🤯🤯🤯

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Bought 1 month of EA Play to play Fallen Order but am pretty disappointed in that game so far. I think I'll just give it up and play this instead. Don't want to devote all my time trying to finish that game with this in the wings waiting

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
In fact, Days Gone and GoT also look ridicuously good on PS5.
I was lucky enough to experience them both for the first time on PS5 and they legit felt "next gen".

I could be going crazy here, but I'm pretty sure this game has no HDR at all in either Series X or PS5.
Yup. Definitely no HDR on Series X. Wrong thread?

Seriously though, it does because I had to enable it manually and I could immediately tell the difference. It fucking pops!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Just started New Game+. Holy CRAP this looks incredible. Very much at the level of a great looking early PS5 game. Also insane that I'm playing at effectively 4x the resolution and 2x the framerate that I originally played the game in a couple of years ago.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
k so i have a dumb question. the loading is kind of slow on my external... if I put this on the SSD will it load faster?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Dmc 5 reconstruction method is unknown though, and I don't think it's checkerboard based on pc version. Seems like whatever target resolution but running in interlaced mode. Like 2160i, similar technique used in killzone shadow fall MP. Sekiro is actually a perfect example for comparison. DF latest video on the game show you can barely spot any difference between native 1800p on xbsx and 1800cb on ps5. But performance is locked to 60fps on ps5 BC mode with 10tf and yet struggle to lock 60fps on xbsx with 12tf. Definitely a contender to dlss I would say if its this good. Rainow six will have 120fps mode and also using similar technique so I hope someone will make another comparison.

I swear I remember DF looking at DMC5 when it came out and seeing tiny CB artists, and that the 120fps mode used the same thing. I'm not sure, though I'm also not sure if the PC version would necessarily use the same solution.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I swear I remember DF looking at DMC5 when it came out and seeing tiny CB artists, and that the 120fps mode used the same thing. I'm not sure, though I'm also not sure if the PC version would necessarily use the same solution.
Dithering artifacts are more noticable on pc too when you turn on interlaced mode. Similar artifacts on console. Re2 and 3 are 1620i, and dmc5 were 1800i on ps4 pro basically. I think all the re engine games on ps4 pro are using the interlaced mode. Maybe beside re7 on base ps4. It uses dynamic res.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The checkerboard implementation here is great. Can't help but think how Days Gone manages to look even more impressive as an open world title.

Res-bot

Nov 11, 2017
Hmm.. Have ps4 physical copy. Moves it to from ps4 pile of shame to ps5 pile of shame.

On the one hand that's one less less ps4 game to finish on the other, the ps5 pile has begun!

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already 5h in my new NG. I'm totally and even more in awe how it looks. Feels genuinely next gen. Not even cross gen