• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, we didn't get a good game from Nintendo in 2018. It would have been interesting to see how a high quality game from them would have affected God of War's award total.
There was Smash but, as a multiplayer fighting game, its chances of winning a large amount were fairly slim

You can´t use raw numbers for comparison when the base population is of different sizes, it´s basic math. The OP is using raw numbers and establishing a comparison, that´s why it´s misleading. I thought the info was misleading and when someone posted the averages it looks like I'm right.

But anyway, the whole premise of the OT is that "GoW has more recognition than BotW", which strikes me. I haven´t played GoW, I have no doubt that it´s an excellent game, but I haven´t seen it cause half as much repercurssion between players and crtiics as BotW. I think that in the last years there are a handful of games that regularly come up as GOAT contenders (Witcher 3, TLoU, BotW and even Bloodborne) and haven´t seen anyone postulate GoW as part of that group and much less with the general consesus these other games have behind them. So those are my reasons to be surprised when the OP presented the information in a way that seemed to say that GoW got more recognition than BotW; it´s the absolute opposite of what I´ve seen.
God of War has gotten plenty of recognition and is considered to be up there. I'd say it has more recognition for that in general than Bloodborne, at the very least

Oct 26, 2017
What? The runner up to BotW had 52 GOTY awards. The runner up to God of War has 130. Sorry but God of War had much tougher competition. There really was no question that Zelda was going to take most of the award last year. This year it was a question of how many were God of War and RDR2 going to split.
Other games released in 2017 also affected how much awards BotW won and there were plenty of high quality titles that year, arguably more so than 2018. There's more than just two games that can win GotY after all. Not that it's a useful comparison anyways as this is all speculation

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
God of War has serious issues with its camera, lack of depth in its combat system, reuse of enemies, and over-linearity. It's pretty, but as an action game it's got serious shortcomings compared to multiple games in its own genre.

something something opinions...but you do you. Just need to know and acknowledge that those you 'issues' you have are not universal doctrine and are not issues for the majority lot.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can´t use raw numbers for comparison when the base population is of different sizes, it´s basic math. The OP is using raw numbers and establishing a comparison, that´s why it´s misleading. I thought the info was misleading and when someone posted the averages it looks like I'm right.

But anyway, the whole premise of the OT is that "GoW has more recognition than BotW", which strikes me.
Where is this quote you used mentioned at all in here? Again, this is really just raw number to number, not recognition or percentage of awards.

? Nothing in the title is untrue. You read the title for a summary, then the OP more specific detail. What exactly is the problem?!
It is driving me crazy that people are thinking Op is saying something completely different than what they are...crazy!

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other games released in 2017 also affected how much awards BotW won and there were plenty of high quality titles that year, arguably more so than 2018. There's more than just two games that can win GotY after all. Not that it's a useful comparison anyways as this is all speculation
I'm still not sure what you're getting at. There were plenty of other games in 2018 that affected how many God of War won too. Heck most of the 130 awards RDR2 won God of War was #2 right behind it. Take RDR2 away and God of War is the most awarded game of all time with over 300 zero doubt. You'd have to take almost every single other game away in 2017 for Zelda to accomplish the same feat.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Great to see Sony and Nintendo trading blows this gen. Both are in top form.

Microsoft can get in the fray too if it gets Halo back to glory.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
This sentence right here:

Is the entire basis of the thread.
And if you read my comment you would see that 2017 had less awards counted than 2018. So the numbers in the OP are misleading. Did you look at the source for the OP?

Example. Zoomg isn't in 2017's list, but in 2018. If I look up Zoomg's GOTy for 2017, it's BOTW.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It still saddens me that only 1 of the games in the top 10 is from a Japanese developer.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
What? The runner up to BotW had 52 GOTY awards. The runner up to God of War has 130. Sorry but God of War had much tougher competition. There really was no question that Zelda was going to take most of the award last year. This year it was a question of how many were God of War and RDR2 going to split.
And I respectfully disagree. As others have said - significantly more GotY awards were dispensed/tallied in 2017 than 2018. BotW still leads in percentage, which is a far better metric to look at.

Critics really only had two choices in 2018: GoW and RDR2. The choice is obvious. 2017's was far more ecclectic, and while BotW might have been one reviewer's favourite, Odyssey, Persona 5 or Nier Automata might have left a more profound impression on another.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This . You can't have so many flaws and be so high on the list .

I know, why the hell is BotW rated that high? Massive flaws in that game.

And I respectfully disagree. As others have said - significantly more GotY awards were dispensed/tallied in 2017 than 2018. BotW still leads in percentage, which is a far better metric to look at.

Critics really only had two choices in 2018: GoW and RDR2. The choice is obvious. 2017's was far more ecclectic, and while BotW might have been one reviewer's favourite, Odyssey, Persona 5 or Nier Automata might have left a more profound impression on another.

This revisionist history is kinda hilarious. Did you not watch The Game Awards? People EXPECTED RDR2 to take it. RDR2 and GoW were much closer than BotW and any of the other games in that list.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still not sure what you're getting at. There were plenty of other games in 2018 that affected how many God of War won too. Heck most of the 130 awards RDR2 won God of War was #2 right behind it. Take RDR2 away and God of War is the most awarded game of all time with over 300 zero doubt. You'd have to take almost every single other game away in 2017 for Zelda to accomplish the same feat.
Lol You're just assuming that God of War would've naturally won every award that went to RDR 2, when that's not necessarily the case. Not everyone was placing both of those games as either #1 or #2. A fair amount of those awards could've gone to other games and, personally, I'd argue 2017 had a larger amount of high profile titles than 2018 did. At any rate, my point was that these sort of comparisons are pointless as they just end up boiling down to speculation and are never and could never be 1 to 1, such as due to the games that are released that year or the number of awards given out

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed we were talking games taking enough awards to disrupt a bid for the top spot of most awarded title. Like Mario Odyssey is the difference between BOTW sitting at like 212 instead of 189.
And if you read my comment you would see that 2017 had less awards counted than 2018. So the numbers in the OP are misleading. Did you look at the source for the OP?

Example. Zoomg isn't in 2017's list, but in 2018. If I look up Zoomg's GOTy for 2017, it's BOTW.
There is like 10 sites listed in 2017 where GoW won and is not listed in 2018,again,the thread is just about X = Y+1 not so hard to understand.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol You're just assuming that God of War would've naturally won every award that went to RDR 2, when that's not necessarily the case. Not everyone was placing both of those games as either #1 or #2. A fair amount of those awards could've gone to other games and, personally, I'd argue 2017 had a larger amount of high profile titles than 2018 did. At any rate, my point was that these sort of comparisons are pointless as they just end up boiling down to speculation and are never and could never be 1 to 1, such as due to the games that are released that year or the number of awards given out
How am I assuming when most of these awards were numbered and God of War was #2 on the majority of awards RDR2 won. Take RDR2 away and something like Spider-Man or Celeste doesn't magically all of the sudden jump ahead of God of War. Not how that works at all.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where is this quote you used mentioned at all in here? Again, this is really just raw number to number, not recognition or percentage of awards.

It is driving me crazy that people are thinking Op is saying something completely different than what they are...crazy!
Well the whole of premise of the OT is GoW N+1 > BotW N, it´s right there on the title and in the very first sentence of the OT. That premise is misleading when N has a different meaning for both situations being compared. At this point I´m just repeating myself, I´m out.

Congrats to the devs for the achievement, this is one of the few games that are really making me consider getting a PS4 (and I say this in all honesty as to how appealing the game seems to be, please don´t take this in any negative way).

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I bet at least 80% of RDR2 Awards has GoW as second.Just see the links.
Just looking at era, I haven´t seen half as many threads around GoW than around BotW.
Since when ERA represents critics and gaming community around the world?

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I know, why the hell is BotW rated that high? Massive flaws in that game.

This revisionist history is kinda hilarious. Did you not watch The Game Awards? People EXPECTED RDR2 to take it. RDR2 and GoW were much closer than BotW and any of the other games in that list.
What revisionist history? The narrative that RDR2 would sweep existed in the lead-up to release, then dissipated as time went on. By the time the Awards season rolled around critical consensus began to push back, and public opinion went all poo-poo.

Oct 26, 2017
How am I assuming when most of these awards were numbered and God of War was #2 on the majority of awards RDR2 won. Take RDR2 away and something like Spider-Man or Celeste doesn't magically all of the sudden jump ahead of God of War. Not how that works at all.
I didn't say that they'd jump ahead of God of War, just that they would have most likely won some of those awards as well, if RDR 2 was removed from existence

I bet at least 80% of RDR2 Awards has GoW as second.Just see the links.
That was also true for a lot of the other games that won GotY in 2017 with BotW. Really, this isn't exactly a great comparison. But, hey, I get it, some people really want their game to be better than that other game they don't like as much ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.