• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes because Mario Odyssey was also released in 2017.

Nope, Odyssey was not a serious contender of that year. With only 26 GOTYs it lagged far behind on third place. Horizon Zero Dawn was actually second with 52 GOTYs and even that you can't call a serious contender. RDR2 with 130 GOTYs however is.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Only think I see there getting universal praise is Ori and Sekiro. But Anthem is just funny
Even then sekiro due to being a from game will miss a lot of awards (from games lack of accessibility really holds them back in goty discussions), and ori only received one award in its year of release.

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly, that's why i really don't see the point of this thread, but hey, its just me...
I don't either. I mean, they're both beloved games. This just looks like a sort of fanboy fodder thread to me. I'm a fair amount into God of War and I think its great but I don't need GotY awards or a Metacritic score to tell me that

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Both had tough competition and came out early in the year. Definitely surprising.

Also passed it in percentage?

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Well deserved, though my personal GOTY is still going to Spider-Man.

Spider-Man bosses might not have been amazing, but they were at least more interesting encounters than most of the stuff in GoW.

Plus, I absolutely hate how they handled the stinger ending in GoW.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For reference, percentage wise, BOTW is at 56.76% of 2017 GOTYs listed on gotypicks, while God of War is at 50.67% of 2018's GOTYs. Haven't counted the other years.
This makes sense, GoW seems to be a great game, but the general talk puts it nowhere close to BotW, so it was very surprising to see that thread title. I feel like this info should be added to the OP, the title and information presented are misleading.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought we are talking top tier GOTY. Like more than 100 awards.
Than ok. All those games will probably will take at least couple
Some years have less than others and some games snagging a few dozen or so does add up. Nearly every game that won the majority of GotY awards in their year had pretty stiff competition

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I thought we are talking top tier GOTY. Like more than 100 awards.
Than ok. All those games will probably will take at least couple

I assumed we were talking games taking enough awards to disrupt a bid for the top spot of most awarded title. Like Mario Odyssey is the difference between BOTW sitting at like 212 instead of 189.

OP
OP
Kerotan

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Well deserved, though my personal GOTY is still going to Spider-Man.

Spider-Man bosses might not have been amazing, but they were at least more interesting encounters than most of the stuff in GoW.

Plus, I absolutely hate how they handled the stinger ending in GoW.
I just completed spiderman. Platinumed it and got all the trophies. I particularly loved the DLC. It's great the way all 3 of them tie I. Makes it feel more fleshed out.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
This makes sense, GoW seems to be a great game, but the general talk puts it nowhere close to BotW, so it was very surprising to see that thread title. I feel like this info should be added to the OP, the title and information presented are misleading.

The percentage is also misleading. Who is to say GOW would not have got a higher win percentage with Horizon as competition?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but what if you count BotW and Odyssey TOGETHER??? Nintendo still wins hahahaha

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Why misleading?Says it won more awards than Zelda,which is true,or not?

The percentage is also misleading. Who is to say GOW would not have got a higher win percentage with Horizon as competition?

True,what is Horizon against RDR2?

And yet the GOAT keeps on GOATING in every GOTG poll conceived

WHAT NOW
https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild.2839/

Zelda don't beat The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne here 1 x 1

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be weary of that site tbh, it's run by one person and hosted on blogspot. It puzzles me why IGN or Gamespot don't make a proper GOTY acclumination list.
Honestly its the only aggregate site that has seniority since its been running since the early 2000s. The only issue with the site are its rules not being to clearly defined. Aside from that the only other aggregate site worth looking is the Wikipedia GOTY page where they list all the major journalist and gaming sites.

If we go by that then:
GOW has won 13 Major GOTY awards.
RDR 2 has won 5.
Fornite, Tetris Effect and Celeste win 1 each.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Personally I have more favorites from 2017 than 2018, but I think God of War deserves some credit because in my mind, it was set to be the underdog for taking the lion's share of GOTYs compared to RDR2. Meanwhile, after BOTW's release there was hardly a doubt in anyone's mind that that game was going to dominate the year regardless of how much they might have enjoyed the other games.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
very regular thing to keep track of and definitely not a symptom of gamers' obsessive need to figure out how many magic good points something has so they can point to something else and say "my thing has more magic good points than your thing"

like, sorry to be a grouch about this, but this is such a weird discussion to have IMO

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many people actually changed the default camera settings. Combat is so much better with the recenter on attack and all the auto aim disabled.

Oct 26, 2017
I assumed we were talking games taking enough awards to disrupt a bid for the top spot of most awarded title. Like Mario Odyssey is the difference between BOTW sitting at like 212 instead of 189.
Not a right assumption to work off of. Awards that went to SMO could've gone to other games. Same for God of War if RDR2 hadn't come out. Those awards aren't guaranteed

Well IMO everything except Inquisition (even if I didn't like BOTW i recognise its influence on people) deserves the GOTY award so i'm happy ether way
I agree. They all earned them so I just see it as kind of pointless to pit them like that

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I just completed spiderman. Platinumed it and got all the trophies. I particularly loved the DLC. It's great the way all 3 of them tie I. Makes it feel more fleshed out.

Yeah, I feel like people were a bit hard on the DLC content as I also really enjoyed it.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
It's still a better way to compare different games from different years.

Or we could just celebrate the great games we get experience in this medium but nah

I am not sure why you are quoting my post to celebrate the great games? Go right ahead and celebrate. I am not against ppl celebrating the games!

I think this particular number is meaningless too.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I still think the competition was steeper in 2017.

GoW was really only up against RDR2 for the GotY, with games like Monster Hunter World and Spiderman trailing wayyyy in the distance.

Comparatively, BotW had far stiffer competition in PUBG, Nier Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mario Odyssey, Persona 5, and trailing outliers like Divinity Original Sin 2 and Hollow Knight.

sythyx

Jun 9, 2018
Both Naughty Dog and Rockstar have 3 games in the top 11?
DA Inquisition definitively the odd man out
TLOU 2 will most likely get in the top 10 when it comes out

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For reference, percentage wise, BOTW is at 56.76% of 2017 GOTYs listed on gotypicks, while God of War is at 50.67% of 2018's GOTYs. Haven't counted the other years.
This really means nothing. Had RDR2 come out the same year as BOTW that win% would be much lower and that's if BOTW won more at all. It had little competition. God of War I think is much more impressive as it went against another Game of the generation candidate and won handily.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
to all the comments that are talking about 2017 being harder, consider the fact red dead got more awards than all the top 8 of 2017 excluding BOTW combined. RDR2 was not a small game in any competition.

Both Naughty Dog and Rockstar have 3 games in the top 11?
DA Inquisition definitively the odd man out
TLOU 2 will most likely get in the top 10 when it comes out
TLOU2 hasa good chance of #1 if it comes out this year actually. TLOU1 is #2 and it released in a year when GTAV did.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Not a right assumption to work off of. Awards that went to SMO could've gone to other games. Same for God of War if RDR2 hadn't come out. Those awards aren't guaranteed
I wasn't saying BOTW would've gotten the Odyssey awards, I was just using that as an example for how a game that isn't a "contender" can still disrupt final totals.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018

GoW was really only up against RDR2 for the GotY, with games like Monster Hunter World and Spiderman trailing wayyyy in the distance.

Comparatively, BotW had far stiffer competition in PUBG, Nier Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mario Odyssey, Persona 5, and trailing outliers like Divinity Original Sin 2 and Hollow Knight.
Yeah, we didn't get a good game from Nintendo in 2018. It would have been interesting to see how a high quality game from them would have affected God of War's award total.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
There are 41 more awards counted (by Era) in 2018 than 2017.
And?The thread is about how much X game won over Y.
If you look at RDR2 awards,I bet over 80% has GoW as second.Without RDR2 ,GoW would have win another 100 awards.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why misleading?Says it won more awards than Zelda,which is true,or not?

True,what is Horizon against RDR2?
You can´t use raw numbers for comparison when the base population is of different sizes, it´s basic math. The OP is using raw numbers and establishing a comparison, that´s why it´s misleading. I thought the info was misleading and when someone posted the averages it looks like I'm right.

But anyway, the whole premise of the OT is that "GoW has more recognition than BotW", which strikes me. I haven´t played GoW, I have no doubt that it´s an excellent game, but I haven´t seen it cause half as much repercurssion between players, developers and crtiics as BotW. I think that in the last years there are a handful of games that regularly come up as GOAT contenders (Witcher 3, TLoU, BotW and even Bloodborne) and haven´t seen anyone postulate GoW as part of that group and much less with the general consesus these other games have behind them. So those are my reasons to be surprised when the OP presented the information in a way that seemed to say that GoW got more recognition than BotW; it´s the absolute opposite of what I´ve seen.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What? The runner up to BotW had 52 GOTY awards. The runner up to God of War has 130. Sorry but God of War had much tougher competition. There really was no question that Zelda was going to take most of the award last year. This year it was a question of how many were God of War and RDR2 going to split.

Status
Not open for further replies.