• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rulerk1

Nov 14, 2017
finally got around to playing it

on the endgame now and was wondering who is the easiest Valkyrie to beat cuase these battles are kind of bs or something XD

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
lol and i thought i had this game on lock xd

how did he do a realm shift btw
Talisman of the Realms has the ability to summon a realm shift when you hit L1+Circle. I'm assuming it must be that.

I just got back into this. I had started a NG+ playthrough months ago to show my brother the game, and then I ended up hanging out with my nephew this weekend and continuing that playthrough (I was literally just meeting Brok for the first time, so really early in the game). Ended up playing through Alfheim with him, and then got through to Mimir on Sunday. It's pretty easy to jump back into, although trying to figure out the buttons again at first led to some embarrassing battles against simple enemies. But man, the combat just feels so good.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Weird bump, but did anyone ever go back and watch this 2015 Game Informer interview with Druckmann for Uncharted 4? In literally the first 20 seconds of the video he mentions a certain Cory Barlog, but he refers to him as "Cory from the God of War team", and this video is from a full year and a half before God of War 2018 was revealed at E3 2016!

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Weird bump, but did anyone ever go back and watch this 2015 Game Informer interview with Druckmann for Uncharted 4? In literally the first 20 seconds of the video he mentions a certain Cory Barlog, but he refers to him as "Cory from the God of War team", and this video is from a full year and a half before God of War 2018 was revealed at E3 2016!

It's funny how casually he brought it up.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm not enough of a masochist to do Give Me God of War difficulty, but I will say, rolling a second NG+ playthrough with the Zeus armor on Give Me a Challenge is an absolute blast. If you get hit twice by almost anything, you die, but you do so much damage that you can kill trolls and ogres while they're still playing their entrance animations. And, of course, figuring out the timings for perfect dodging to trigger realm shifts makes you feel like an absolute God. I've been watching a bunch of videos of Gamebreaker God playing NG+ on GMGOW with the Zeus armor, and I'm pleased to see that he actually dies a lot; most of his popular videos make him look completely untouchable. Of course, he turns around and starts breaking out runic cancels and absurd combos and it's like "oh, right, that dude is amazing."

Sigrun still makes me look like a drunken wombat.

What a great game this is.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying the Blades atm. I was used to the Axe offcourse. But the Blades are really good for big crowds and they are abit more spammy.

Feb 10, 2018
I picked up an artifact or something that gave me a skill where I can fire a bolt of freeze or electricity at a group of enemies I equipped it, but it's not equipped and its not in the skills menu.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
I know this is a stupid request but is there any interview or something with the devs saying that this game is a sequel to GoW III?...

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
I completed the main story on Give me a Challenge (the second hardest mode, could not face God of War mode) last year when it was released, but did not really do any of the "end game quests" such as the dragon quests, Valkyries or Muslepheim/Nilphehiem challenges. I lost of all my save data when my PS4 died (did not back up to the cloud).

Fortunately this has led to one of the best gaming experiences of my life. I recently completed a play through with my son (who's 11) on Give me a Balanced Experience on a PS4 Pro. Revisiting and re-experiencing the game from his view point has been magical. It was amazing just seeing his wonder as the game progressed and watching him get to grips the controls. After we completed the main story we started taking down the post game content sharing attempts at beating the various Valkyries. After many attempts over the best part of two weeks, he was the one who got to beat Sigrun. I can not remember the last time I shouted with joy at a computer game. THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER (until Last of Us 2 comes out anyway :))

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Thanks, It's a loooong watch, but I can handle that lol

A friend argues that the game is a story reboot, just because it isn't numbered even if there are elements from Krato's past games
I mean, did your friend even pkay through the main story? They make it pretty obvious this is a continuation, though a soft reboot in terms of character growth and gameplay aspects.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
I mean, did your friend even pkay through the main story? They make it pretty obvious this is a continuation, though a soft reboot in terms of character growth and gameplay aspects.
Yes, but he is in a state of denial and only a statement from the devs will make him... not change his mind.... but telling the devs that they are wrong and then he will shut up lol

He is kind of special about what is a reboot, what isn't, same with remake and remaster....

And since this game is not numbered, well, it's something totally new and different even if everything from the past games are present!

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
I know this is a stupid request but is there any interview or something with the devs saying that this game is a sequel to GoW III?...

Here's Cory Barlog (creative director)

I knew I didn't want to simply reboot the franchise, starting over with a retelling of the origin story. I wanted to reimagine the gameplay, give players a fresh perspective and a new tactile experience while delving deeper into the emotional journey of Kratos to explore the compelling drama that unfolds when an immortal demigod makes a decision to change.

For Kratos, this change means breaking the cycle of violence, distrust and deception that his family, the Greek pantheon, perpetuated for so long. That cycle drove a whole host of bad decisions – the ill-fated deal with Ares, the murder of his family and a rage fueled descent into madness and vengeance that ultimately ended with the epic destruction of Olympus.

https://flic.kr/p/J8XCMK

Last edited:

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
what's interesting is that Mimir is also an outsider (he's from Ireland)

yet he doesn't get discriminated as a foreigner as much as Kratos, quite interesting

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Serious question - is Atreus' idle chat bugged? Because he's constantly saying "we've been standing here a while" even after we've been in a new area only 5 seconds.

It's kind of making me wish I could stave his head in with the leviathan axe which, you know, I'm guessing isn't the level of camaraderie Cory Barlog was aiming for.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Boss fights in tbe beginning (Troll and The stranger) already seem kinda difficult for the start of a game. Is this how it's gonna ramp up its difficulty from here? I mean i know I'm getting rusty but kinda didn't expect to start dying right off the bat lol

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only one having a problem with the Valkyrie boss in Musphelheim NG+. Its basically impossible I cannot avoid the the foot slam move at all, it kills me every time, the reaction time or timing on it is insane.

edit: I'm pretty sure its bugged or just really cuntish or something I'm partial or mid dodge or I dodge the first one and mash the dodge button and still get hit by the subsequent foot stomps, fuck this game. This does have a real problem with being stun locked, "you got hit by that first hit, here's another 6 to add to that which are impossible to avoid". I hate that.

Last edited:

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
A "Holiday 2019 Giveaway" DLC just got quietly dropped on the Playstation Store. (US Link)

Happy holidays! If you missed out on this legendary content when God of War originally launched, Santa Monica Studio is giving away the following items for a limited time. Once downloaded, these items will be available in-game in your Armor and Weapons tab menu to customize Kratos and Atreus. If you are beginning a new game, these items will be available to customize at the start of the Deer hunt.

• Death's Vow Armor Sets for Kratos and Atreus
• Exile's Guardian Shield Skin
• Buckler of the Forge Shield Skin
• Shining Elven Soul-Shield Skin
• Dökkenshieldr Shield Skin

These items are free until January 6th @ 12am PT.
It's a bundle of all the pre-order content, basically.
Probably new thread worthy, but ehhhhh. Posting it here just to be safe.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Playing through this way late, but I'm extremely glad that I managed to
somehow avoid spoilers of the Blades of Chaos being in the game, because it being a surprise felt like getting the Master Sword in OOT all over again. I was liking the game, but them missing certaintly felt like I was playing a game that wasn't God of War, the axe just wasn't the same.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through this way late, but I'm extremely glad that I managed to
somehow avoid spoilers of the Blades of Chaos being in the game, because it being a surprise felt like getting the Master Sword in OOT all over again. I was liking the game, but them missing certaintly felt like I was playing a game that wasn't God of War, the axe just wasn't the same.
In the end, I still ended up preferring the axe, but those were a great replacement for fisticuffs, which I stopped using after that.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to this. Just got up to the first real boat section.

Question, I missed the very first Norvir chest - am I able to go back to it now, is it worth going back to it or do I go back there later on anyway?

I'm having fun with it but I'm also being very paranoid and searching everything, is this the right way to go about it or should I chill with the exploration a little?

Last edited:

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Finally got around to this. Just got up to the first real boat section.

Question, I missed the very first Norvir chest - am I able to go back to it now, is it worth going back to it or do I go back there later on anyway?

I'm having fun with it but I'm also being very paranoid and searching everything, is this the right way to go about it or should I chill with the exploration a little?

You can back track everywhere. It can be a little confusing but no biggies. Enjoy the ride!

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Where do people recommend really exploring?

I did everything I (think) was possible when the water dropped, and I just got back from Alfheim and did the new Dwarf favour but it got me thinking should I explore now or is there nothing new yet and I should continue the quest?

On one hand I like doing things as I go, breaks up the pace of the game, but on the other hand a LOT of areas are ability-gated and would take numerous returns to in order to explore fully. Which to be honest I want to avoid; going through backlog and want to be semi-efficient with time while getting the most out the game.

Should keep doing gated exploration, or wait until later in the story to do a big expedition and side quest run?

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Where do people recommend really exploring?

I did everything I (think) was possible when the water dropped, and I just got back from Alfheim and did the new Dwarf favour but it got me thinking should I explore now or is there nothing new yet and I should continue the quest?

On one hand I like doing things as I go, breaks up the pace of the game, but on the other hand a LOT of areas are ability-gated and would take numerous returns to in order to explore fully. Which to be honest I want to avoid; going through backlog and want to be semi-efficient with time while getting the most out the game.

Should keep doing gated exploration, or wait until later in the story to do a big expedition and side quest run?
In terms of efficiency, I would recommend doing it sometime later in the story after you get all the abilities ( you will know when).

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, though, you're still quite a ways off from having all the abilities, and by the time you have that, a lot of side loot will be useless for you.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah looking for a balance ideally. Should I do the next chunk of story ("A Magic Chisel") and then explore after?

Currently low level 3 but pretty much all available skills and proficient in combat, I just haven't been upgrading or purchasing armor out of fear of it being redundant.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Yeah looking for a balance ideally. Should I do the next chunk of story ("A Magic Chisel") and then explore after?

Currently low level 3 but pretty much all available skills and proficient in combat, I just haven't been upgrading or purchasing armor out of fear of it being redundant.

After the magic chisel is perfectly fine.

There are many moments in the game where Atreus will tell Kratos we can continue our main mission or "you know we can just explore, Whatever you want"(something of that nature)... if you hear that from Atreus, then that would be your cue to go exploring.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
After the magic chisel is perfectly fine.

There are many moments in the game where Atreus will tell Kratos we can continue our main mission or "you know we can just explore, Whatever you want"(something of that nature)... if you hear that from Atreus, then that would be your cue to go exploring.

Yeah, I cleared the high water lake on my first time there, but now with the low water I've noticed a few higher level enemies and more gated points (glowing green orbs, and roots over things) on the few places I've explored. Might see if I can do the favours I currently have then do the next main quest and then come back to "clear" the lake.

Should I bother with the fire realm at all yet?

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Yeah, I cleared the high water lake on my first time there, but now with the low water I've noticed a few higher level enemies and more gated points (glowing green orbs, and roots over things) on the few places I've explored. Might see if I can do the favours I currently have then do the next main quest and then come back to "clear" the lake.

Should I bother with the fire realm at all yet?
I would recommend doing the Fire realm when you are level 6.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished it, I really slept on this title; great game and I had a lot of fun with it and I'm glad a lot of Norse mythology is left untouched (teased a lot, mind...) for future instalments. Happy that they mixed up the formula for the game too compared to the previous entries.

For the post-game content what's the best order to go about them? Mid level 6 currently and done the rest of the normal game (only Valks, Mus and Nif left to do). So far I've done three Valks, I practically nuked them with runics so they weren't too bad, may as well try to finish off the remaining ones. I've done the first area (two trails) in Mus and literally only got the entry key in Nif from the 500 mist echos.

I'm thinking do the Valkyries, then Mus, then Nif. Is this the recommended order?

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Can anyone estimate how far I am to completing the main quest? I just got the item ("black something") that allows me to return to the mountain, and on a side path encountered my first Valkyrie.

Also, in terms of side quest completion, is there a point of no return in the main quest? If so, does the game communicate this? Thanks.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone estimate how far I am to completing the main quest? I just got the item ("black something") that allows me to return to the mountain, and on a side path encountered my first Valkyrie.

Also, in terms of side quest completion, is there a point of no return in the main quest? If so, does the game communicate this? Thanks.

There's no point of no return, nothing is missable and you can go back and do anything as well as post-game content.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
There's no point of no return, nothing is missable and you can go back and do anything as well as post-game content.
Great, thank you.

From your previous post I get the impression it's common to treat Valkyries as post-game content. Is that right? I'm leaning in that direction as my attempts to fight the first one I encountered went very poorly. They seem hard as hell, to the point it only seems doable until I'm at whatever level you typically reach by the end of the main story.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Great, thank you.

From your previous post I get the impression it's common to treat Valkyries as post-game content. Is that right? I'm leaning in that direction as my attempts to fight the first one I encountered went very poorly. They seem hard as hell, to the point it only seems doable until I'm at whatever level you typically reach by the end of the main story.

I guess it depends on what you do and when, in terms of the valkyries they're totally optional so I've been doing them after the story finished and had better gear. In retrospect a good few the the Valkyries could have been done late game anyway but it doesn't really matter.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Finally finished it, I really slept on this title; great game and I had a lot of fun with it and I'm glad a lot of Norse mythology is left untouched (teased a lot, mind...) for future instalments. Happy that they mixed up the formula for the game too compared to the previous entries.

For the post-game content what's the best order to go about them? Mid level 6 currently and done the rest of the normal game (only Valks, Mus and Nif left to do). So far I've done three Valks, I practically nuked them with runics so they weren't too bad, may as well try to finish off the remaining ones. I've done the first area (two trails) in Mus and literally only got the entry key in Nif from the 500 mist echos.

I'm thinking do the Valkyries, then Mus, then Nif. Is this the recommended order?
I would do Nif first (maybe not the Nif valkyrie until you've done most of the others, she can be tough with the constant drain on your health), then Mustpelheim as far as you can get (the valkyrie is at the end, so you might not be able to tackle her on your first few runthroughs of Mustpelheim either), then clean up all remaining valkyries, with Nif and Mus valks last. You will not be able to take out the final valkyrie until you've done literally everything else in the game; I mean, you technically can, but she is far and away the most challenging part of the entire game by a wide margin, so you are going to need every possible enchantment and stat available. Have you gotten the Amulet of Kvasir yet? Because that thing is OP as hell when you get your dodge timing down.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations and yeah I had the amulet and was already using it!

Got the plat, had a blast with it. Great step forward for the franchise and excited to see where they go next.

A note on post-game. Wasn't a fan of Nifelheim, I liked the idea and some of the execution but it basically boiled down to a grind fest of doing laps of the grid. Similarly I liked the premise of Muspelheim but a lot of the challenges felt like grinds rather than actual challenges.

I hope in the next title those areas become fully fledged realms, shame to see the potential worlds reduced to grind zones.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this game today and the "name" that Atreus came up after released his mother's ashes bit was so good it almost caught me off my guard.