• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I really liked it but didnt love it at release. I replayed it for the 1st time this year and I loved it way more. It's a really fine game. Cant wait for the sequel.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Legendary game. The combat, the world, the characters, the graphics, the soundtrack.... man, it's so damn good.
Oh, have I mentioned the combat already? It's so great.
Well deserved Game of the Year 2018 ❤❤

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats!
In hindsight I felt the one take did not add much to it. Seems like lots of effort for naught. And please SM, hire some folks who can design bosses. The game had like 2 bosses and everything else were clones...

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the best games I've played. That boat ride with the music playing leading up to you know what was exhilarating 😭

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Currently going through my second play through of the game. This time on new game plus. First time playing in full since launch and getting the platinum.

Still love every moment of it. So damn good. Saved last night right before getting to THAT moment of the game. Will continue on tonight

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it but didnt love it at release. I replayed it for the 1st time this year and I loved it way more. It's a really fine game. Cant wait for the sequel.

What made you change your mind? I'm curious because that's how I felt at release as well. Clearly a very good game, but it didn't resonate enough with me to go in the ''great'' category. Haven't replayed it yet.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
The game is one of the most overrated game of the generation but it has good foundation for a better sequel, let's see

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Congrats!
In hindsight I felt the one take did not add much to it. Seems like lots of effort for naught. And please SM, hire some folks who can design bosses. The game had like 2 bosses and everything else were clones...
I think the thing with the one-take approach is that you don't notice it because things are smooth, but then you go play another game that has fade to black and several loading screens afterwards and it clicks.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Let me prephase this by saying I actually enjoy The Last of Us a lot, it is to me the golden standard of what a "cinematic" game should be.

Regarding God of War, it is an amazing game if you don't care about the gaming part of video games and only enjoy pretty graphics and wanna-be movies
A combat system with so many flaws they fail at making it enjoyable, so many parts of the game where you're only moving the analog up while people around you talk, a tacked on rpg system that seems to be there because other games have them, a tackled on Son during gameplay who amounts at least like 7 hours in to "press square to get a free hit", among others, I hope Jaffe and company take the criticism to heart because I expected better and was let down completely by a game that so desperately wants to be other games instead of God of War

I had an ok time with it. the Valkyrie fights, specially the Queen, on higher difficulties were by far the best part of the game and I wish there'd been more of that. Nifelheim was also ok, because of the design of the arenas that lent themselves to the combat better than most of the actual levels.

Other than that, it's an average game that is saved by its incredible production values, but also a game that suffers from the usual trappings of boutique cinematic AAA games: a lot of filler; unskippable slow walking sequences that go on forever, not a lot of replayability, and an schizophrenic combat system that only really works for 1v1 fights (hence why the Valkyries work fine when a lot of the game doesn't). The cinematic 'one take' approach to the camera is superficially impressive at first glance but breaks down once you actually try to play the game on anything above normal. Give me God of War is a miserable slog of HP sponge enemies.

The people who say it's the best combat system ever must not play a lot of games.

I've played every combat game there is. Right now DMCV is my favorite though so far I am enjoying Nioh 2 waaaayyyy more than the first game. Even then I think God of War has excellent combat and is certainly some of the most fun I have had playing and exploring. Not every game needs to play like Ninja Gaiden.

Last edited:

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the game but felt a bit short changed at the end because I went in...
expecting to get to beat the shit out of Thor and Odin

Really just felt like the 1st part of a trilogy

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Played this over Christmas break and it did nothing for me. Confirmed to me that outside of Uncharted 1-3 (and even then, I've not played them since they came out) I dislike these Sony Western third person narrative action games. Not for me but I can tell a lot of love went into it.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Must every discussion about combat "depth" in games devolve into this condescending bs?
Plenty of games have fantastic combat systems that work across all difficulties, so yeah naming a game where the combat system turns to shit when the difficulty is cranked as 'the best' seems to suggest a massive lack of experience of other games.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Really fantastic game, one of the best I've played this generation, and a fantastic refresh to on of my favorite game series.

Only gameplay thing I hope to see improved is group combat. The old GoW games had a much more pulled back camera which let you see enemies all around you and do back attacks really easily.
GoW 2018 has such a tight camera that it made it a bit of a chore when you were dealing with a bunch of enemies and you get surrounded.

I hope in the sequel they can play with the camera a bit more. Like in any combat encounters with more than 4 enemies have it dynamically pull back a little further or something.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Plenty of games have fantastic combat systems that work across all difficulties, so yeah naming a game where the combat system turns to shit when the difficulty is cranked as 'the best' seems to suggest a massive lack of experience of other games.

Wait what? I played on Give me God of War mode and had no issue with the combat and beat every Valkyrie. Is this a get good moment?

Oct 31, 2017
Went back not long ago to replay the Valkyrie fight, combat feels so good, such a brilliant game.

ZLBZYeY.gif
The legend has spoken.

I'm still amazed how impressive the leviathan ax controls, Atreus addition to the gameplay, getting you hyped for Thor and Odin fight without ever seeing them.
I know about the secret ending

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I look back on this game the more convinced I become that this is my favorite PS4 exclusive, above Bloodborne and Uncharted 4.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what? I played on Give me God of War mode and had no issue with the combat and beat every Valkyrie. Is this a get good moment?
Mechanically a bunch of stuff possible on low difficulties stops working due to what enemies can do on GMGoW. They can just start tanking your hits mid combo and 1 shot you with nothing you can do if you started an attack right before they magically started tanking. Combos that rely on stun just don't work anymore on many enemies etc.

Hilariously the bosses are the easiest part on that difficulty as they have much less of that nonsense.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The photo you two are talking about is by the way of the gameplay model. I took it in photo mode and only added some background blur.
Here's the same shot zoomed out:

48688014938_8db416f554_o.png

(Before the usual suspects falsely claim photo mode does improve graphics and models, no it doesn't in this game.)

A couple other photos I took:

49312777901_ea27431d5d_o.png

49312279923_389f666584_o.png

48688014558_a1837416bc_o.png

Amazing captures. I must have saved your screenshot some time back on my iPad. Was scrolling through my pictures for this thread.

Not sure whether you're talking about the gif or the game XD.

;)

I'm talking about your gif :)

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Mechanically a bunch of stuff possible on low difficulties stops working due to what enemies can do on GMGoW. They can just start tanking your hits mid combo and 1 shot you with nothing you can do if you started an attack right before they magically started tanking. Combos that rely on stun just don't work anymore on many enemies etc.

Hilariously the bosses are the easiest part on that difficulty as they have much less of that nonsense.

I never played on any difficulty but that one so I never really noticed any of that. If I had switched from an easier setting its possible that would have bothered me as well

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Amazing game. Beat it a couple weeks ago. Cherry on the cake was when...

(endgame spoilers)
after dropping the ashes off in Jotenheim and making it back to Midgar, Boy says something like, "alright, so what do you want to do now? We can tie up some loose ends, hunt down some monsters, whatever."

I pretty much did everything already, so I figured I'd head back home. Save the game and call it a day.

To my surprise, the front door was abled to be interacted with! Every time I had come back to this place before, I couldn't go back inside the cabin…
And wow! I could even interact with the bed!
And double wow, there's even a little cutscene where Kratos tells Boy to get some rest. Rightly deserved after all the shit we went through... Such a nice touch to add when so many people might not even consider going back home.

Wait a minute. What's that noise? Why do I hear thunder outside???

OHHHH SSHHIIIEETTTT
I'm truly amazed How this was pulled off. I was role playing Kratos and thought, let's go home boy.

Did the director know a lot of us would feel the need to go home? It's quite brilliant and only solidified the fact that God of War is the best Sony exclusive ever. I just don't see how it could be topped.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Such a great game. It conveys the weight and strength of its character more than any other game I've played. When you're punching enemies in the face with Kratos ... it's done in such a way where you really feel the impact of each hit. Spartan Mode is like ... whew.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm excited to see how they handle Thor in the sequel. Baldr's opening comment to Kratos "I thought you'd be bigger" suggests Thor is a hulking fucking monster.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even say how happy it makes me to see threads like this and seeing people's experiences with the game. It was a big, sometimes tough-as-heck process to put this game out, and it means a lot to see it being impactful for a bunch of you. There were so many amazing people involved in getting this together, and I'm so glad if we were able to put together something you all enjoyed.

<3

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I can't even say how happy it makes me to see threads like this and seeing people's experiences with the game. It was a big, sometimes tough-as-heck process to put this game out, and it means a lot to see it being impactful for a bunch of you. There were so many amazing people involved in getting this together, and I'm so glad if we were able to put together something you all enjoyed.

<3

Thanks to you and all the team! You really made something special and I can't wait to see what's next from SM ^^

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

<3

Truly one of the defining moments of the generation. Just a staggering amount of love and attention to detail that is felt throughout the whole game. Not enough can be said about the axe and building the world (mechanics, puzzles and combat) around that incredible weapon. Definitely one of my favorite weapons in any game ever. I can't even imagine the amount of hours and sacrifice that was required to create something so amazing. Thank you so much

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Can't wait for the inevitable PS5 sequel, it was one of my favorite games of all time with the only possible negative thing I can say about it that there weren't more huge boss fights.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
One of the best games ever created. I like it more because of Santa Monica took a chance and deviated from what made the series great. They did a wonderful job.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Best game of the gen so far for me, with the permission of certain VR robot. And I've never been a huge action game fan, but man, this game was mind-blowing.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Masterpiece, if it weren't for BotW this would be my GOTG easily....so good. The entire first encounter with The Stranger is one of my fav. gaming moments ever...

Can't wait to see what's next!

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game designed to be played by the mass. If you consider it sold 10+ million copies and over 50% of people play through the store it's not been done by another action game before.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
One thing I'd give SSM props for which is against the grain is how "the boss" was used in the game:
  • Puts into perspective of what a "godly power" is- that they need not be rapidly transient entities ensuring where conflict is unequivocally resolved within an alpha-omega encounter. Previous GoWs did this with Zeus alone.
  • The boss' repertoire of moves expands as Kratos' evolves himself.
  • That The Boss was more than a one dimensional villain- An asshole, da comrade but the root of his self loathing and bitterness is explored.
Hypothetically, if Mew Mew wielder shows up in GoW2, I would want multiple encounters for that as well. These are beings of iconic capabilities and the following GoW needn't be burdened with extermination of Kratos' gallery of rogues in one go.

alejo0121

Oct 27, 2017
Just last week I finished the game for the first time, I bought a PS4 last november, and this month gave GoW the chance and I loved it, I will continue with my backlog but will surely return to 100% the game on a second play through

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The photo you two are talking about is by the way of the gameplay model. I took it in photo mode and only added some background blur.
Here's the same shot zoomed out:

48688014938_8db416f554_o.png

(Before the usual suspects falsely claim photo mode does improve graphics and models, no it doesn't in this game.)

A couple other photos I took:

49312777901_ea27431d5d_o.png

49312279923_389f666584_o.png

48688014558_a1837416bc_o.png

Hnnnngggg.

I wonder, where the polygons would go next given the ~32K out of ~80K polygons went to his face.

Btw, here's an example of LoD 0 Kratos model with added post processing effects (like more precise lighting and higher quality sub-surface scattering from what I can tell):

cff54f989252314.png

One can, or at least, I can tell that this is a higher quality post fx work because the framerate took a small hit very few times as game was transition and out of this menu. Generally, there's a lot of dynamism built into an engine to maintain performance under varying degrees of load. Next gen, stuff like Variable Rate Shading will be added to the list of pre-existing performance saving measures allowing artists to push further.

Personally, if I can see this level of precision in next gen's Kratos during gameplay (i.e. when I can make his features out properly), I'd be gold.