• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if MGSV has been mentioned yet

Every other games were very linear and told the story by codecs

MGSV nothing like it. Think that was a bigger change
MGSV changed the structure of the game, gameplay it self is still very MGS. Even if the old games were linear, gameplay was very open in the old games and "do it your way" type of gameplay was always there, like, if you insert MGS3 or MGS4 gameplay into MGSV setting/structure, it wouldn't be a very different game.

OP
OP
Master Chuuster

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
It gets cancelled if I get hit sure, but if you can hit them with it once, then take a few steps back most enemies will not be able to hit you while you are charging it up. Leading to a situation where you can just repeat it. Doesn't always work with bosses, definitely doesn't work with the first dragon, but you can still abuse the same old Dark Souls circle strafe on alot of them.

In regards to moves not being much different let me explain. If I hit an enemy into the air in Devil May Cry I now have multiple ways I can interact with that enemy. I can use them as a platform to get to a higher area to avoid other enemies, I can use it to get a particular enemy far away from me, I can use their body to get closer to other enemies, it also gives me the ability to do moves I couldn't before. In GoW all it affords you is that the enemy won't be attacking you anymore and you can get the stun meter to rise a little. Sure there are things like the dodge moves where you spin the axe around but it does nothing particularly different than just dodging and attacking outside of how much damage or stun it inflicts.
I mean, I still don't see what you mean about the charged heavy attack. I'm playing on normal, and I've actively tried to spam it on several occasions, and it never works.

And of course it doesn't have the same depth in its moveset as Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. Those are character action games, their whole point is to have deep movesets that promote the kind of gameplay you're describing. That's what the entire genre is built around. The new God of War is an action RPG, comparing it to something like Devil May Cry really doesn't make sense.

No, they went after ND formula of third person cinematic action game.

Most boldest is RE7 this gen, they move from third person to First person which pissed off many hardcore fans of the series. Gow reveal didn't pissed off any fans infact they all were blown away by it.
Extreme generlization with the ND comment. Games are very different other than on a superficial level.
And that's the metric used to judge whether a game is being bold with its changes? It isn't being bold if people react well to the changes? I mean, come on...

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The similarities to Hellblade are imo only skin-deep. And regarding the Norse mythology setting: As weird as it sounds, God of War is also so much brighter, vibrant and fantastical in it's Norse mythology setting. Many don't know how fantastical Norse mythology actually is, it's where the fantasy genre stems from after all. When most think about it, they think of icy fjords, snowy woods and vikings. They'd be amazed what they actually find in Norse mythology and in this game.

I haven't played the most recent Tomb Raider games, so I can't say how close they feel to this God of War, but I am very surprised not more are picking up on how similar this game is to a 3D Zelda (excluding BotW obviously). The director even stated that in one of the early interviews about the game. As I mentioned earlier, the similarities are strong and imo stronger than all the other names thrown around, like TLoU, Uncharted, Bloodborne etc.
You'll explore a vast fantasy world, you meet different cultures/races, you fight and puzzle your way through big dungeons, you go against mini bosses and big bosses, you go treasure chest hunting, you upgrade your weapon and gear to be able to progress further and reach locations that were formally closed off to you, you travel a lot back and forth, instead of heart pieces you collect Iðunn apples. If you collect 3 of a set your health bar increases. It's literally a mature 3D Zelda with more focus on in-depth combat, better side quests and a better story.
Dark Zelda?! Sounds awesome! I'm literally buying it and watching the download start right now just because of what you said! :D (4 hours left... Gah PSStore is so slooow!)

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Nah.

Giving your franchise some form of "Realistic, grounded and emotional" coat of paint is kind of the most generic way to reboot your franchise since the last decade or so

Fuck at this point i'd almost call it safe.
Pretty much. This approach has been a trend in most of Sony's big in-house projects for a while now.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It gets cancelled if I get hit sure, but if you can hit them with it once, then take a few steps back most enemies will not be able to hit you while you are charging it up. Leading to a situation where you can just repeat it. Doesn't always work with bosses, definitely doesn't work with the first dragon, but you can still abuse the same old Dark Souls circle strafe on alot of them.

In regards to moves not being much different let me explain. If I hit an enemy into the air in Devil May Cry I now have multiple ways I can interact with that enemy. I can use them as a platform to get to a higher area to avoid other enemies, I can use it to get a particular enemy far away from me, I can use their body to get closer to other enemies, it also gives me the ability to do moves I couldn't before. In GoW all it affords you is that the enemy won't be attacking you anymore and you can get the stun meter to rise a little. Sure there are things like the dodge moves where you spin the axe around but it does nothing particularly different than just dodging and attacking outside of how much damage or stun it inflicts.

Oh, absolutely. But the game design should be given some responsibility for forcing the player to experiment and use all options. In regards to difficulty levels if you raise the difficulty enemies later on will punish you heavily for spamming the Flying Swallow, that's something I wish God of War took from Ninja Gaiden alongside a dismemberment system that alters enemies behaviors. Hopefully something they can look into for a sequel.

This isn't necessarily true. You could keep the enemy suspended in the air for longer using Atreus, thus buying you time to recompose, move around, or charge up a more powerful attack.

Likewise, in DMC you don't have a retractable axe nor all the movesets and options that come from that, and all the other ones you switch between whilst using it.

Also, I find it pretty amusing your defence of spamming boring plays in those other games is this;

"In regards to difficulty levels if you raise the difficulty enemies later on will punish you heavily for spamming the Flying Swallow, that's something I wish God of War took"

That is exactly the same for God of War. You try spamming charged R2 attacks in God of War on Hard or Hardest like you have on the lower difficulty, especially against trolls as you mentioned, and you'll literally be dead in a single hit or two.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Zelda?! Sounds awesome! I'm literally buying it and watching the download start right now just because of what you said! :D (4 hours left... Gah PSStore is so slooow!)

Wow, the pressure. XD

I think it is strange that apart of me hardly anyone so far mentioned Zelda. It really feels so much like a mature, Sony version of that franchise.

By the way, the game isn't even that dark. It has its positive bits and humorous characters too. Many locations too are bursting with vibrant colors.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the pressure. XD

I think it is strange that apart of me hardly anyone so far mentioned Zelda. It really feels so much like a mature, Sony version of that franchise.

By the way, the game isn't even that dark. It has its positive bits and humorous characters too. Many locations too are bursting with vibrant colors.

Are there actual dungeons? That was one thing I actually really liked about Darksiders.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Wow, the pressure. XD

To me it's almost like if you distilled some of the elements of Zelda and some of the elements of Resident Evil 4 into one game. In a VERY good way.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Detractors in this thread realize that God of War has always been a linear cinematic series, right? The series popularized QTEs which not long after became derided for being lazy ways to add non-interactive cinematic sequences into gameplay. Yes, the new GoW updates the style to be a more modern cinematic game, but spectacle and big showy setpieces has been the selling point of the franchise since day one.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ive played every Zelda game and I'm 20 hours into God of War. It's nothing like a Zelda game from my experience. It's more like Rise if the Tomb Raider than Zelda. I never understood the connections anyone made.

Are there actual dungeons? That was one thing I actually really liked about Darksiders.

They have dungeons in the literal sense but they are nothing like Zelda or Darksiders dungeons with multi room puzzles. I don't want to sound reductivist but the dungeons in GoW so far feel like linear set pieces ala Uncharted or Tomb Raider. It's not loke Zelda or Darksiders where you enter into a big puzzle and exploration exercise. It's still all just real linear and you have to play by its pace, which is why I compare it to Uncharted.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are there actual dungeons?

Yes, there are. They feel pretty similar to Zelda dungeons too. Just the puzzles aren't as elaborate as in Zeldas to be fair. But they are still plenty and fun.

To me it's almost like if you distilled some of the elements of Zelda and some of the elements of Resident Evil 4 into one game. In a VERY good way.

Good, I already thought I was the only one thinking that, while everyone kept on going about TLoU, Uncharted and Bloodborne. XD

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
I mean, I still don't see what you mean about the charged heavy attack. I'm playing on normal, and I've actively tried to spam it on several occasions, and it never works.
I just use the same strategy as using heavy weapons in Dark Souls, just make sure you have enough room or are behind them and most of the time and it will work. It also seems like if you don't hold R2 down all the way until the attack ends and instead let it go a little sooner the attack comes out faster but I haven't really tested it, so it may or may not be.

Are all of the bosses annoying and chatty like The Stranger? The action is cool, but his kids cartoon dialog kinda ruins the fight.
Most of the ones I've fought either don't talk or are speaking in a different language so not really. Although yeah, The Stranger fight made me bust out laughing a few times when he said completely comical things whille being juggled around like a practice dummy.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ive played every Zelda game and I'm 20 hours into God of War. It's nothing like a Zelda game from my experience.

Huh? Even Corey Barlog explicitely states that he was inspired by Zelda:

"The new God of War will offer something very different from the earlier games, and in some ways, it's taking inspiration from classic Zelda.

Game director Cory Barlog described the game to GamesRadar+ as being in the spirit of classic adventure games. He gave the example of spotting a crack in the wall in the Legend of Zelda and realising that if you demolish that wall, you'll get access to a hidden area you never knew existed.

This is the type of experience Barlog hopes God of War will provide for those looking explore its world. Expect hidden areas right in plain sight and secrets off the beaten path. According to the site, these won't be mandatory, but they may flesh out the game's world or otherwise offer something worth seeing."
https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/15/god-of-war-has-a-zelda-inspired-approach-to-exploration/

I guess, the director of the game and I are both imagining things...

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played around 12 hours and while it's a massive change and everything is phenomenal, Fallout 3 being an open world rpg instead of an isometric was a bigger deviation

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"The new God of War will offer something very different from the earlier games, and in some ways, it's taking inspiration from classic Zelda.

Game director Cory Barlog described the game to GamesRadar+ as being in the spirit of classic adventure games. He gave the example of spotting a crack in the wall in the Legend of Zelda and realising that if you demolish that wall, you'll get access to a hidden area you never knew existed.

This is the type of experience Barlog hopes God of War will provide for those looking explore its world. Expect hidden areas right in plain sight and secrets off the beaten path. According to the site, these won't be mandatory, but they may flesh out the game's world or otherwise offer something worth seeing."
https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/15/god-of-war-has-a-zelda-inspired-approach-to-exploration/

It has trappings of a Zelda game like a lot of adventure / exploration games do but this doesn't feel anything like a Zelda game in the way Darksiders / Okamk does. Yes it does things Zelda does, but a lot of games do; I wouldn't tell someone that if they love Zelda they will love this like I would Darksiders 1 or Okami.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
So what new thing did god of war add to the genre? I know Zelda made most rethink the idea of open world games. God of war did what?

Dec 20, 2017
Resident Evil 4 was more radical I think.

Resident Evil 4 was in another dimension altogether and God of War taking clues about this game tells you everything you need to know.
The thing about RE4 too is that it didn't just reinvent the series, it reinvented third person action games as a whole. It and Gears of Wars (which was building from it) basically created a gameplay template for third person shooting that we're still following

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the pressure. XD

That's because it's not like Zelda, it's like previous God of War games. Combat sections/light puzzle sections/boss sections. That's always been God of Wars MO.

As for "dark", I've nearly finished the game but so far it's no more dark than God of War 3.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what new thing did god of war add to the genre? I know Zelda made most rethink the idea of open world games. God of war did what?

I guess you could argue that God of War might make most rethink the idea of cinematic or traditionally linear narrative based games. It's the most gameplay systems heavy cinematic game that exists. Plus there's that retractable axe, the one shot no cut camera etc that do add a pretty unique flavour.

I'm confident that future 'narrative' focused games will be more RPG like or open in the vein of God of War. Not to the extent of actual open world games, eg AC, BotW, Skyrim etc, but certainly much more than they historically have been. That said, I think perhaps things were already moving in that direction for cinematic or linear games anyway.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have to say RE4 literally redefined a genre and has impacted the gaming industry so much more than any other series I could think of. All this hype is getting me pumped for GoW though

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, you are collecting Idunn Apples to increase your life gauge. That's not unlike collecting heart pieces in many Zelda games.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the pressure. XD

Hehe don't worry ;) I just needed that final push, and I won't get mad at you if it's more like Rise of the Tomb Raider as someone else said since I loved that game as well (100-percented it).

The violence is a problem since I'll have to play it when the whole family is a sleep but I'm playing Hellblade right now too which is a similar game in that regard, can't show a second of that to anyone else, I mean I barely dare playing it myself because of the scary sound :s Can't wait to jump in tonight!

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The violence is a problem since I'll have to play it when the whole family is a sleep but I'm playing Hellblade right now too which is a similar game in that regard, can't show a second of that to anyone else, I mean I barely dare playing it myself because of the scary sound :s Can't wait to jump in tonight!

The game is violent, but I think its handled much more maturely than previous GoW games. Those disgusted me frankly. This one doesn't...at least so far. ;)

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
But none of them were God of War games. I'm not saying it's a bold new direction for the industry, I'm saying it's a bold new direction for the series.

It's right there in the OP too.
Wut? That title would still be wrong plenty of franchises have gone into bolder n fresher territory. In god of wars case I would argue it did the opposite of bold.

It's changes are adding a lot of systems that are ubiquitous

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Is the game not more realistic, grounded and emotional compared to previous God of Wars?
Umm no? A gigantic serpent that spans the entire earth is present in the game. You throw an axe that freezes enemies and can fly back in the air to you. There are bosses the size of a warehouse. This game is epic in scope and not in any way "grounded". Less campy than the original trilogy yes, but not "grounded". I'd liken it more to comparing something like Frank Miller's 300 versus something like The Lord of the Rings. OG being 300, and GOW reboot being LOTR.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The game is violent, but I think its handled much more maturely than previous GoW games. Those disgusted me frankly. This one doesn't...at least so far. ;)
Sounds good! I hope it keeps it that way til the end.
And... The game is installed! Wooo :D
Now I'll just have to wait until everyone is asleep... sigh... :s

Oct 27, 2017
Umm no? A gigantic serpent that spans the entire earth is present in the game. You throw an axe that freezes enemies and can fly back in the air to you. There are bosses the size of a warehouse. This game is epic in scope and not in any way "grounded". Less campy than the original trilogy yes, but not "grounded". I'd liken it more to comparing something like Frank Miller's 300 versus something like The Lord of the Rings. OG being 300, and GOW reboot being LOTR.

This 100%, especially the comparisons with 300 and LotR. That is exactly how I felt last night when I reached a certain part early on in the game.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have just beaten the first boss and I already have a headache from the camera.

Hate the whole perspective

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018

And of course it doesn't have the same depth in its moveset as Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. Those are character action games, their whole point is to have deep movesets that promote the kind of gameplay you're describing. That's what the entire genre is built around. The new God of War is an action RPG, comparing it to something like Devil May Cry really doesn't make sense.

Extreme generlization with the ND comment. Games are very different other than on a superficial level.
And that's the metric used to judge whether a game is being bold with its changes? It isn't being bold if people react well to the changes? I mean, come on...

It's welcome changed but I disagree with op that it's the most boldest change this gen. RE7 takes that award for me. RE7 changed entire genre to win fans back .

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bummer for you. I don't know how y'all play video games the way some of you are so sensitive to motion.

You would be surprised how many people get motion sickness - it's a large subset of the population. Games that abuse the hell out of shaky-cam tend to make that kind of stuff worse. EDF 2017 on the XB360's constant screen vibration gave me such a bad migraine I had to actually lie down after playing it for half an hour. Mercifully they let you turn it off in the settings.

Oct 30, 2017
It's an over-the-shoulder action/adventure title with combat inspired by the industry darling Soulsborne (as stated by the developers themselves). In what universe is this game "bold"?

An actual "bold" God of War would have been making a AAA Character Action title that could stand up to Bayonetta and Devil May Cry.

I agree. Nothing about it feels bold, but I've only played 6 hours. Game feels a lot like the new tomb raider to me honestly.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
You would be surprised how many people get motion sickness - it's a large subset of the population. Games that abuse the hell out of shaky-cam tend to make that kind of stuff worse. EDF 2017 on the XB360's constant screen vibration gave me such a bad migraine I had to actually lie down after playing it for half an hour. Mercifully they let you turn it off in the settings.
Ah man I can't even imagine dealing with that. I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. I've never experienced motion sickness in my life. Not even VR oddly enough.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's welcome changed but I disagree with op that it's the most boldest change this gen. RE7 takes that award for me. RE7 changed entire genre to win fans back .
Hmm that's interesting. I didn't think RE7 was that bold in its design, but more in its execution. One of my faves of this gen, but honestly, it really feels like REmake but if it were in a first person perspective. Although actually a shit load more scary.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah man I can't even imagine dealing with that. I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. I've never experienced motion sickness in my life. Not even VR oddly enough.

In my personal experience, it tends to be triggered by camera motion that isn't controlled by the player. My eyes are fine with me aiming and looking the camera around, but if I am doing one thing and the camera ignores or leaves my control to start shaking around or wobbling and looking at random shit, that's when I start to feel the ache. Essentially, the more "immersive" a game tries to be with its camera, the more ill it makes me feel. Think of it like how you would feel if you forced your right eye to start looking around at random things while your left eye remained focused on one thing directly in front of you if you want context for how it feels.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. I don't really think it's very bold or radical when almost every piece of this game's design is borrowed from another game that does its piece better.

I think something like BotW that is unlike almost any modern open world adventure game out there is a much more bold and radical reimagining. Yes it borrowed things too, but the sum of its parts feels very unique from anything out there.

I agree. Nothing about it feels bold, but I've only played 6 hours. Game feels a lot like the new tomb raider to me honestly.

Yup exactly.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Wow. This is exactly what it is! The exploration, world design, crafting and puzzle solving all feel VERY TR reboot. I was wondering what it was I was trying to connect it to, and you nailed it.

Pretty funny considering how many people here claim the TR reboots are actively bad games.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The problem I'm having is Kratos is to close to the screen so every movement he does makes me feel dizzy.

I wish you could pull the camera back

Status
Not open for further replies.