• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
How did ND invent these things?

I'd like to know some of these by the number games like GoW, it's still an action game as the older titles, again you haven't played the game.

I still don't see what did they take from ND games, because surely they didn't invent story telling, did they? I'm guessing people talking about boosting the kid up to some places and the likes? That's very reductionist of what else the game is doing.
These things that became incredibly popular with Uncharted 2? These things from the games Barlog was influenced by?

Did you play the game? The intro? It's all one big forced walk sequence

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
The thread title is hyperbolic at best and downright wrong at worst. Others have already given far better examples of reimagined games in their series. That's the main reason the whole hyperbolic premise has reached 8 pages when it could have been answered by "lol no" in one.
Yeah it's hyperbolic and very early to judge for a game released a day ago that I am almost surprised it didn't get wait for a some time type of responses. Almost all games that transitioned from 2d to 3d had a more radical change.

Oct 27, 2017
I said it in the OT and may even make a thread about it in a month or so but the Leviathan Axe is going to be the most iconic weapon of this generation. Its so incredibly well realized in every aspect from the actual meaty weighty but still very nuanced combat to the incredible use of the throw and recall feature to even the audiovisual elements of it are top notch.
Truth.

The Axe is up there with the blades as THE iconic weapon. Everybody will recognize it from here on out.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a bad thing. I don't know how you can even ask a question like that though. The intro to the game clearly wears its inspiration on its sleeve
IKR?
I still don't see what did they take from ND games, because surely they didn't invent story telling, did they? I'm guessing people talking about boosting the kid up to some places and the likes? That's very reductionist of what else the game is doing.
ND didn't invent storytelling in games just like Gears of War didn't invent it's cover system.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Lets be honest. How many huge AAA games are there which are super focused single player narrative experiences which are also third person action games about a parental relationship building between the player and an AI child character over the course of a road journey adventure? Naughty Dog didn't have to invent anything, they just put out a big production which is influential because of its popularity. Just like Gears of War didn't invent cover shooting or the pop and shoot mechanic, but popularized it because it became a huge hit. God of War draws from TLOU, there's no question on that. There's also nothing wrong with that.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
The combat mechanics in the new game are way more interesting than the previous God of Wars

It's so much more involved than just mashing square square triangle

Hell, I just found an accessory that enables
witch time from Bayonetta

It's no DMC3 but it's pretty fun

Oct 27, 2017
People were complaining about the camera before the game came out but I bet most of them never played God Hand. That game shows how a camera stuck to the back could add alot to the game.

I love this direction.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That's more of a spin off then a direct sequel
How can you call that a spinoff instead of a direct sequel when it directly continues the story?

Imo, the departure from Warcraft 1-3 - top down Real Time Strategy games with light RPG elements in the form of Heroes and some equippable items for them in the third game - to World of Warcraft - a Massivly Multiplayer Online Role Playing game, where you are basically one of the many soldiers or hired adventureres - is a much bigger move. Yes, it retains the characters and world, but it has nothing to do in terms of gameplay with it's previous games. It was a completely different genre, yet a direct continuation of the story, so it can't even be called a spinoff or reboot.

Facubsf

Apr 4, 2018
To each their own I guess, but I strongly disagree.
It was not a shock to me but rather the same hallway game with a gow skin tbh.
I'm glad many people is enjoying it anyway.

Thekiddfran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I am still blown away by the entire package. Bar the last of us it's the first game this generation where I have actually felt like I was going on a journey.

Interested to see where the 2nd game takes Kratos

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 64.

Residen Evil 4.

Final Fantasy 7.

Probably a million more.

OP is flat out wrong. GoW is definitely a re-imagining, but I wouldn't call it "radical".

Especially compared to the ones I listed.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played God of War, but I can't imaine it's a more drastic change in tone and themes than Spec Ops: The Line.

Jan 11, 2018
I'd also like to throw in Super Mario 64. When you look at OOT and Metroid Prime, both those games were fairly faithful representations of a 2D series going 3D. With Super Mario 64, you had very little in common with the 2D games. And it was most certainly bold.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Not even fucking close.

220px-Kid_Icarus-Uprising_logo.jpg

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I'm about 8 hours in and so far it's fantastic, but I have to say I'm not really seeing the radical changes from previous god of war. Yes, it looks and feels fantastic, but the core linear design + secret paths feels much the same as always, albeit with backtracking now allowed.

Bow, meanwhile, I actively disliked for the first few hours I played it as it was such a radical departure from the formula, and I still don't think its a move that's always for the best (ie dungeons are poor). I came to love it but that sandbox design is so far removed from the linearity of skyward sword.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Again, the combat and characters REALLY elevate the title, and I like it a good deal more than some other games like it. But those claiming it doesn't borrow heavily from other cinematic 3rd person action games like The Last of Us are absolutely lying to themselves. It's a great re-invention, but it's the safest re-invention they could have taken. It's a great game, but it's not some milestone in the medium, I don't think.

Yeah it's a new direction for the series, but it's a direction used in quite a few contemporary games and follows that pretty closely. So it's not that bold. You could even turn it around and say it's safe, since it's just adhering to what's really popular in sp games right now. Barlog and co executed this really well though, I love exploring and they didn't halfass the optional areas. The only thing I'm getting a bit tired of now is the combat. In the beginning I loved it but 15+ hours in (I'm at the exact point OP is at) it's losing a bit of its charm for me.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
GoW is an amazing game but to describe this change as radical is a bit much. To suggest all time is just flat out wrong. They did what they had to do to improve the series but it didn't reinvent itself in the capacity that others have mentioned in here.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Not the most radical one as already mentioned, but it is bold and succeeded at it.

Barely!! It went from one type of action game to another type of action game. It isn't a puzzle game! It's not a strategy game, or a story-driven game that isn't centered around hacking away at enemies.

No, but the battle system is for another genre. OG GoW games were hack and slash, this one isn't.

It's like the different between Bayonetta and Souls combat. All action, but really different genre.

GoW 2018 doesn't remotely play or feel like any GoW game or any game in that genre.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The boldest and most radical re-imagining of an established series ever was Super Mario 64.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Not even fucking close.

220px-Kid_Icarus-Uprising_logo.jpg
To be fair, the OP said "established franchise" and there was nothing established about Kid Icarus. It had two games before Uprising on different platforms and they both played differently. There was nothing established about the style of the franchise other than it being an action game with Pitt. And eggplants.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the OP said "established franchise" and there was nothing established about Kid Icarus. It had two games before Uprising on different platforms and they both played differently. There was nothing established about the style of the franchise other than it being an action game with Pitt. And eggplants.
Was the GB sequel really that different from the original? It seems pretty similar from what I've seen, but I haven't played it.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Was the GB sequel really that different from the original? It seems pretty similar from what I've seen, but I haven't played it.
It's closer than Uprising obviously, but it's not quite like the original at all. It's more like the fortress stages in the original expanded into an entire game, rather than auto-scrolling stages leading to fortress areas.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it is the boldest ever, but it is pretty damn bold.
GoW changed from being an immature (gratuitously brutal and sexualized) hack and slash along corridors, to a mature Zelda-like action adventure. While the developers stated before that Zelda was a strong influence, I wasn't prepared how much this game feels like a 3D Zelda (excluding BotW), a mature Zelda, with great combat and a good story.
I strongly disliked earlier GoWs for so many reasons and I actually love this one.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just finish the game!! And I can't believe there are still so much things to do so much places to explore!!! My god this is EPIC!!!!!!

Foxbat

Banned
Mar 24, 2018
Someone at Sony SM: "Look how well TLOU did. People are going to gobble up UC4. I took a look at what the guys over at GG are working on as well. We just need to give God of War the Sony super single player cinematic experience and we're gold!!!!"

At some point I hope a Sony studio makes something that isn't a 3rd person narrative driven cinematic game. With Death Stranding, the Zombie game, and TLOU 2 coming down the pipe, I won't hold my breath.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I don't recognize Kratos. And in terms of gameplay, story telling, character progression (etc...) This is not God of War. Kudos SSM

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yep, God of War going from an 8-10 hour Linear Hack n Slash game to a full on 40+ hour, semi-open world RPG, is certainly a big change for the series and from what I've played so far, it was a brilliant idea that is executed extremely well.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Do you just not remember last gen? When every series was becoming an FPS?

There's an endless amount of series that have gone through way more radical shifts than GoW. Banjo-Kazooie became a vehicle game. The Valkyria series tried (and failed) to become a JRPG. Hell, Castlevania became GoW!

Edit: oh man I forgot the biggest. Danganronpa 3 was an anime. The third entry in that series wasn't even the same medium!

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of hyperbole here, at all directions, just like in similar BOTW threads...

But I'm playing Hellblade now - same closeup back/shoulder camera and slow, weighty, counterbased combat, and norse mythology. Love it!

And then I read in this thread that GoW takes a lot from Rise of the Tomb Raider in how the maps and game progression is layed out, which was one of my top 10 GOTY at it's release.

So it sounds like great changes! Might pick it up even though I planned not to because of the big changes and assumed exaggerated violence.

I haven't played it but I'd still agree with the OP about the changes, in my opinion they could easily have called it something else judging by what I've seen. From my quick peeks Kratos is basically what's left from the old God of War from what I can see. And I expect to see lots of "This is not my God of War!" threads and posts once the launch hype has gone away just as with BOTW. This is definitely not just a perspective change.

I'd say that Gran Turismo Sport is up there as well regarding big changes, the car collecting and huge single player campaign was basically what Gran Turismo was all about for 20 years, I'd boldy claim that the racing (while great) wasn't what made it so popular, and they just removed most of that. Huge change in my opinion.

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah when you take literally the only Western attempt at the Character Action genre (even if it was shallow compared to its Japanese contemporaries) and then abandon that to make it a by the numbers Western AAA Game, people will indeed be a little miffed.

I'm gonna assume you haven't played it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's that radical but If there is one thing which ssm has done well is not only adding several new things but also executing it damn well.

The new gow has a great side content, exploration, a new combat with a deep depth etc

Gram

Oct 27, 2017
Zurich
Metroid Prime changed genres and still felt very much like Metroid. Also when the predecessor was often in the convo of GOAT (Super Metroid) it takes some guts to make that change.

This man knows his stuff.
Super Mario 64, Resident Evil 4 and Kid Icarus are up there, too, among many others.

If Prime is just Super Metroid in 1st person, then God of War is just God of War in the same vein as almost every other modern "Sony Cinematic Universe" game.

I love the game and it has been my most wanted since its reveal, but I don't think it's a bold statement at all. Neither for the industry, nor the series alone.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I'm gonna assume you haven't played it.
Just my Opinion, but, Not being bad, Dad Of War Combat actually fells like the "weakest" among the God of War games (specially 3 and Ascension). the spells/ RPG element were a good attempt to balance out the lack of weapon variety, but, and yes, I know they had their reason, it did not made up for removing jumping too.

also, again, focusing in the action, close over the shoulder really frustrated time to time given the reduced Field of View

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does GTA count as a reimagining? If so I'll go with that. But GoW one of, not the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.