• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The original LoZ was also 30 years ago. We can't pretend like the series didn't gain tons of new fans since then. It's had like 10 masterpieces since the first game. The game that set the formula that BotW completely changed is still the highest rated game of all time. It was extremely bold to change that.

Not to mention, the things BotW changed that cause controversy aren't things that it has in common with the original LoZ. The only thing that causes people to make the original LoZ comparison is more focus on exploration. No big dungeons, no item progression, breakable weapons are all completely new to Zelda.

I don't think anyone is denying what Breath of the Wild did was extremely bold, but it was an evolution of the franchise deeply. God of War is practically a new genre of game compared to the previous titles.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an over-the-shoulder action/adventure title with combat inspired by the industry darling Soulsborne (as stated by the developers themselves). In what universe is this game "bold"?

An actual "bold" God of War would have been making a AAA Character Action title that could stand up to Bayonetta and Devil May Cry.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm would Super Metroid to Metroid Prime be a big departure too?

And dynasty warriors 1 to 2 (although thats kinda cheating lol)

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Well... I think there is, specifically for the bosses. We'll see haha. Either way it's audacious as heck, so mad props to SSM for that.

I think one of the trailers hinted that there might be bigger ones later.
Well I just fought the

Dragon on the Mountain
And it felt a lot like the old GoW bosses, just better lol

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm would Super Metroid to Metroid Prime be a big departure too?

And dynasty warriors 1 to 2 (although thats kinda cheating lol)
On one hand, making it an FPS is extremely bold.

On the other hand, they did an amazing job keeping it faithful to the Super Metroid formula.

Metroid Prime is literally exactly how Metroid should've transitioned to 3D.

OP
OP
Master Chuuster

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
The original LoZ was also 30 years ago. We can't pretend like the series didn't gain tons of new fans since then. It's had like 10 masterpieces since the first game. The game that set the formula that BotW completely changed is still the highest rated game of all time. It was extremely bold to change that.

Not to mention, the things BotW changed that cause controversy aren't things that it has in common with the original LoZ. The only thing that causes people to make the original LoZ comparison is more focus on exploration. No big dungeons, no item progression, breakable weapons are all completely new to Zelda.
I mean, I'm not disagreeing that BotW was a very bold shift too. Three days ago I'd have argued that it's the boldest franchise reinvention ever. I'm just saying that it feels like a natural evolution of Zelda, even if a lot of the series' staples are missing or heavily altered. On the flipside, the new God of War is just a complete shift. Like, it has nothing in common with the older games.
In Breath of the Wild, you could argue that the shrines are, in some way, a replacement for dungeons, even that the Divine Beasts, but there is nothing in God of War that you can point at and say it evolves from anything in the past games.

Last edited:

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
I still think it would be BOTW. A Link to the Past started the modern Zelda formula and that continued for two whole decades until Breath of the Wild broke it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How so? Not challenging your opinion or anything, just curious about what kind of stuff you prefer when it comes to those things.

Put simply: I like stylish action games, and this new one completely abandons the genre in favor of some weird Last of Us/Dark Souls hybrid that doesn't seem to emphasize the strengths of either game it's been inspired by. It looks overly weighty and Kratos slides and pivots around mid-combo like he's a puppet rotating on a turntable, and the removal of jumping and air combos doesn't help either. It's a weird hybrid of "realism" and fantasy that I just don't particularly have any interest in. Being forced to drag around an AI companion for the entire game doesn't hold much interest for me either.

Also, the close-up behind-the-back camera angle makes me nauseous. I hate games that overuse shaky-cam during gameplay to make themselves seem more cinematic or immersive - all they do is give me migraines.

TL:DR version - I just can't particularly see anything in the new game that makes me want to play it, whereas there are plenty of changes that make me not want to.

OP
OP
Master Chuuster

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Put simply: I like stylish action games, and this new one completely abandons the genre in favor of some weird Last of Us/Dark Souls hybrid that doesn't seem to emphasize the strengths of either game it's been inspired by. It looks overly weighty and Kratos slides and pivots around mid-combo like he's a puppet rotating on a turntable, and the removal of jumping and air combos doesn't help either. It's a weird hybrid of "realism" and fantasy that I just don't particularly have any interest in. Being forced to drag around an AI companion for the entire game doesn't hold much interest for me either.

Also, the close-up behind-the-back camera angle makes me nauseous. I hate games that overuse shaky-cam during gameplay to make themselves seem more cinematic or immersive - all they do is give me migraines.

TL:DR version - I just can't particularly see anything in the new game that makes me want to play it, whereas there are plenty of changes that make me not want to.
Oh, well, if it means anything to you, the combat is actually really, really good. Like, even though there's no combo counter or numbers at the corner of the screen, it really does feel like a combo-based combat system when it gets going. In fact, stringing together different moves is probably my favourite thing in the entire game so far. And it's still very brutal and stylish, so in that at least it still feels very much like God of War.

As for Atreus, the only times he's ever bothered me in the game is when he refuses to shut up at times. His presence in terms of gameplay has actually been more of a positive.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a 13 year old, well-known, well-loved series with six games following a specific formula and loop in the bag already. Such a radical change for something like that is very bold.

Bold would be attempting to get people to care about a character action game to the tune of millions of sales.

They didn't do that. They started from scratch.

I'm simply comparing it to games like BOTW and Resi 7 that actually iterate mechanically on past games in the series. BOTW could have just ripped off Skyrim, but that wouldn't be very bold. They took inspiration from Skyrim while maintaining Zelda's identity, whereas God of War 2018 shares basically nothing save the character of Kratos. It plays nothing like the prior games.

OP
OP
Master Chuuster

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Bold would be attempting to get people to care about a character action game to the tune of millions of sales.

They didn't do that. They started from scratch.

I'm simply comparing it to games like BOTW and Resi 7 that actually iterate mechanically on past games in the series. BOTW could have just ripped off Skyrim, but that wouldn't be very bold. They took inspiration from Skyrim while maintaining Zelda's identity, whereas God of War 2018 shares basically nothing save the character of Kratos. It plays nothing like the prior games.
... That's why it's bold.

We're both using the same arguments for different conclusions. Not sure we're gonna have much to discuss here.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
I am not seeing what the big deal about it is? It feels almost exactly like Rise of the Tomb Raider to me. Level design and general gameplay loop are very similar between the two games.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully you put probably in the title, because Kid Icarus Uprising exists.
I do really like when devs put fresh idea in those games that started to feel the same every new sequel.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

You could turn off camera shakiness in the options. Also a lot of stuff in your first paragraph are factually wrong but can't fault for having these impressions from trailers.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
GTA 2 > 3?

W3 > WoW?

MG2 > MGS?

Didn't TR2013 change a lot aswell?

Duke Nukem to Duke 3D?

Titles which go Open-World?

Banjo Tooie > Nuts and Bolts?

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
The point you're making is basically why I think the game is wack. You're praising the game for having literally nothing to do with God of War when I personally don't see how that's a good thing? It's like they cranked every tired AAA trope to 11 and grafted a Kratos skin onto it.

I'm not even a big fan of the previous games, though I have gotten some enjoyment out of them. This one though just strikes me as the most design-by-committe game ever from everything I've played so far.
(just dispelled the Black Breath on the mountain)
Every time a new mechanic is introduced you're walked through the menu like it's some kind of mobile game, there's so much scripted nonsense where control is taken away from you, you can't go off the beaten path or think about a puzzle for even a minute without Atreus screaming advice at you. There are story beats ripped straight out of The Last of Us, and I've yet to receive a satisfying explanation for how we went from sociopathic-monster-Kratos to slightly troubled dad - I get the story is still holding those cards close to its chest from where I'm at in the game, but I have a hard time relating to any of this when the dude on-screen looks and sounds like Kratos but might as well be a completely different character. All that amounts to an incredibly safe and predictable game, one that doesn't try to take the essence of its series and do something new with it (like your Zelda and Resi examples), but instead tries to appeal to the broadest possible demographic by blatantly polluting itself with every design and storytelling trope of recent years. And I can't help but find the experience of playing it extremely condescending.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to go with Kid Icarus Uprising in terms of reboot that's the furthest departure from a series formula.

GoW has a lot of inspiration from the recent past, but it's still a God of War game.

KIU is something else entirely.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
I'm watching Limmy play it at the moment and he's not enjoying it. So far there's a lot of walking down a corridor and pressing a button prompt.

Is that a departure for the series? I wouldn't know. I've never played them. It doesn't look like fun anyway.

Snap. I was watching the same stream and thinking almost the same thing.

It looks amazing, but at its heart it's still a hack n slash with button prompts.(?) The departure seems to be narrative (and camera based) rather than gameplay?

I could be wrong though. I've never actually played any of the series, just watched gameplay. It's a hell of a looker, I'll give it that!!!

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the old God of War, you can mash your way through normal mode.

In normal mode here, if you mash your way, you'll die.

Red Alert

Banned
Mar 25, 2018
I am playing game right now and cant believe they made kratos likeable character . Wow boat stories are really deep. I mean to contrary of most people here i loved kratos back then too but man this version and how do they transaction from old kratos with actually knowledging all his past is so powerful .

OP
OP
Master Chuuster

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
The prisoner of moment hyperbole is strong here...

Ninja_Gaiden_%28NES%29.jpg

Ninja_Gaiden_%282004_video_game%29.png

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm gonna have to go with Kid Icarus Uprising in terms of reboot that's the furthest departure from a series formula.

GoW has a lot of inspiration from the recent past, but it's still a God of War game.

KIU is something else entirely.

That weren't an established series though...

The prisoner of moment hyperbole is strong here...

Ninja_Gaiden_%28NES%29.jpg

Ninja_Gaiden_%282004_video_game%29.png

I think we established change of perspective don't count cuz reasons.

Or he will talk about they kept the design philosophies unlike GOAT of War.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's between this, Resident Evil 4, and Final Fantasy X > Final Fantasy XI. Eating right now and then jumping on this again. Not even the NBA playoffs can sway me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, well, if it means anything to you, the combat is actually really, really good. Like, even though there's no combo counter or numbers at the corner of the screen, it really does feel like a combo-based combat system when it gets going. In fact, stringing together different moves is probably my favourite thing in the entire game so far. As for Atreus, the only times he's ever bothered me in the game is when he refuses to shut up at times. His presence in terms of gameplay has actually been more of a positive.

Having to deal with an annoying kid who talks too much is pretty much on my top ten lists of things I don't want in games, honestly. I'm glad that he can't die during combat, but his presence definitely drags the game down for me from concept onward.

All said, I'm mostly extra grumpy about it because DMC and Metal Gear Rising are both dead, meaning the only stylish action game left in the industry is Bayonetta, a game starring an unbelievably annoying protagonist who the camera goes out of its way to objectify.

You could turn off camera shakiness in the options. Also a lot of stuff in your first paragraph are factually wrong but can't fault for having these impressions from trailers.

Factually wrong? What part about it is factually wrong? I've seen late-game spoiler footage and Kratos is still pivoting around mid-combo like a goofy carousel. It looks incredibly jarring considering how high-quality the graphics are otherwise. It reminds me of Lords of the Fallen.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's a really interesting take on an established franchise. I was never really a fan of the original series, but this one looks like something I could get in to.

In the old God of War, you can mash your way through normal mode.

In normal mode here, if you mash your way, you'll die.

Unprecedented balancing.

Oct 25, 2017
Not to deny that the new GoW is a big leap (ever since I started to look into it seriously a few weeks ago I've been constantly reminded of RE4), but if you want to get technical about it, you don't even need to look outside of series that involve tackling the Greek gods to marvel at the distance Kid Icarus: Uprising put between itself and the original. [Edit: beaten by minutes, repeatedly.]

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I too have had preconceived notions about games I didn't play and later turned out to be totally wrong about them.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's definitely up there and I don't think it's hyperbole to say. Right in line with RE4 for best reinvention ever

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not to deny that the new GoW is a big leap (ever since I started to look into it seriously a few weeks ago I've been constantly reminded of RE4), but if you want to get technical about it, you don't even need to look outside of series that involve tackling the Greek gods to marvel at the distance Kid Icarus: Uprising put between itself and the original.

Eh, you were still fighting Greeks in that game.

Maybe if they changed it to Norse...

tenor.gif

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Glad to hear it, the originals did nothing for me but this approach seems way more appealing to me so looking forward to it.

It's not a sequel right?

OP
OP
Master Chuuster

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Kid Icarus had two games before Uprising that followed the same formula. That's a series lol.
Yeah, but they released 25 years (I think) before Uprising. Also, that doesn't really qualify as an established series.

Having to deal with an annoying kid who talks too much is pretty much on my top ten lists of things I don't want in games, honestly. I'm glad that he can't die during combat, but his presence definitely drags the game down for me from concept onward.

All said, I'm mostly extra grumpy about it because DMC and Metal Gear Rising are both dead, meaning the only stylish action game left in the industry is Bayonetta, a game starring an unbelievably annoying protagonist who the camera goes out of its way to objectify.
That's the thing I'm trying to say, you don't ever really have to deal with Atreus. I mean, if him being occasionally annoying due to excessive dialogue is a deal-breaker for you, then I don't know what to tell ya :P

Also, the combat really is very much to the taste of one who might like character action games like DMC and Bayonetta. I mean, it's not combos and numbers based, but it does rely on you stringing together actual combos (not just numbered combos). And it's brutal, stylish, and feels really satisfying. It's the game's biggest strength too. Based on what you like (judging from your posts), I'd say you should give it a go!

Status
Not open for further replies.