• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I'm around 15 hours into God of War
I just dispelled the black fog and now I'm inside the heart of the mountain, just used the giant pulley thingie to go to the higher level with the flame jet traps in the beginning
and I have to say, this is a much bolder re-imagining for an established franchise than I have ever seen in this industry, personally.

Games like Breath of the Wild, Resident Evil 4 (or 7) and the like were huge changes for their respective franchises, but even though they were radically different from their predecessors, there was still quite a lot that they retained, not just in terms of nebulous concepts like the "feel" and "atmosphere", but also specific gameplay mechanics or design philosophies. This new God of War, though, is just so different from the Greek era games. I mean, it still feels like a God of War game thanks to its tone, Kratos, and the general nebulous "feel" of the experience, but in almost every way that can be put down on paper, this is nothing like the previous GoW games.

The only similarities I've been able to spot are very minor things- like repeatedly pressing O to lift heavy objects at times, or pulling levers and stuff, or spike hazards in the environments, or upgrading your health meter via collectibles. And it all just works so well- most, if not all, of these changes are for the better, I'd say. Probably for the first time ever, I'm having as much fun playing God of War as I am gawking at the scope and spectacle (if not more so).

Even if this massive re-imagining hadn't worked out, I'd say SSM would still deserve props for the huge risk they've taken. Good thing it paid off though, because so far this is one hell of a game, and if the rest of it is as good as it has been up until now (or gets better, like I suspect it will), it might end up becoming one of my favourite games of all time.

NOTE: Please use spoiler tags in your posts whenever applicable! :)

EDIT:
A lot of you seem to be misunderstanding (I guess I wasn't clear about what I was trying to say), but I'm not saying this is a completely new way to play games. Not even close. It borrows heavily from other genres, even other Sony first party titles, as many of you have pointed out. I'm saying it's a bold shift for the series, not for the industry or for video games as a medium at large.

Last edited:

sambills

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
eh, i still think zelda is a bigger departure

This game is wildly impressive tho, Im absolutely in love

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think you're right. Even BotW, bold as it was, was going back to the NES original. God of War is literally unlike anything else in the series yet.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's one of the finest games this generation and a masterpiece. I laughed, I cried, I yelled, I clenched.

Now give me God of War 2.

OP
OP
Master Chuuster

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
It's one of the finest games this generation and a masterpiece. I laughed, I cried, I yelled, I clenched.

Now give me God of War 2.
Here:

latest

sorry :P

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of all the games/sequels I've played, I would easily have to agree.

And what even more impressive is that it's actually still AMAZING

St. Alphonzo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm watching Limmy play it at the moment and he's not enjoying it. So far there's a lot of walking down a corridor and pressing a button prompt.

Is that a departure for the series? I wouldn't know. I've never played them. It doesn't look like fun anyway.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I think there's probably an argument for games that jumped from 2D to 3D or even Resident Evil 7 if you count it's VR mode but it's certainly right up there. I never cared for previous God of War games but I am liking the new one a lot.

OP
OP
Master Chuuster

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I think there's probably an argument for games that jumped from 2D to 3D or even Resident Evil 7 if you count it's VR mode but it's certainly right up there. I never cared for previous God of War games but I am liking the new one a lot.
Yeah but, more than anything else, those were shifts in perspective, that still retained quite a lot of the old mechanics and design philosophies. Literally none of the gameplay stuff from the older GoW games carries over into this one. And it's a shift in perspective.

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping the game opens up and shows me why you think so past the 5 or so hours I've played of the game so far. Because despite the different setting and over the shoulder combat, it very much does not depart much from the original trilogy in terms of core gameplay loop. Regardless of whether it is or not as OP claims, it should be a fun ride and I'm excited to play more.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the game opens up and shows me why you think so past the 5 or so hours I've played of the game so far. Because despite the different setting and over the shoulder combat, it very much does not depart much from the original trilogy in terms of core gameplay loop. Regardless of whether it is or not as OP claims, it should be a fun ride and I'm excited to play more.

Oh...it does. You haven't seen anything yet. Once you hit a certain point you'll know when the game opens up.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I just want to know if the boss battles are any good.

Without spoiling anything, are they massive in scale? Most importantly, are they numerous and fun to fight?

OP
OP
Master Chuuster

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I can see why you feel that way, given you're only five or so hours in yet. Keep playing, you'll see what I mean.

Glad you'e enjoying it either way, though!

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Most reboots or radical departures either ignore or loosely reference past games. What keeps surprising me that even though this is a semi-reboot, they didn't throw everything away. Kratos' character and past are huge factors of the narrative and they pull it off so well.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 4 was in another dimension altogether and God of War taking clues about this game tells you everything you need to know.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure I agree, so far of course.

I think that from an actual "series formula" perspective, BotW is much more bold. Look no further than the controversy. People still make threads complaining about the lack of dungeons, linear narrative or dungeon specific item progression that last pages and pages here on era, and the game is over a year old.

Not to mention it's more bold by the nature of the series itself. Zelda is a much more acclaimed, iconic and long running series than God of War was. Changing it was definitely much more of a risk. The fatigue for the old GoW formula felt much more pronounced than the fatigue for the Zelda formula.

Not that GOW isn't bold, it definitely is.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I'd agree. It's damn near a genre shift.

BOTW, as Phantom Thief noted, is just back to it's original first game on the NES roots really. I think the people thinking it's a gigantic shift are mostly younger gamers who didn't play the original back in the day as it is very different than the OoT formula used in other 3d Zeldas.

Resident Evil is probably the closest as RE 4, 5 and 6 were much more action shooters than survival horror games.

OP
OP
Master Chuuster

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I just want to know if the boss battles are any good.

Without spoiling anything, are they massive in scale? Most importantly, are they numerous and fun to fight?
I think I've already had more than half a dozen boss fights so far, and they're amazing. They're amazing for reasons very different from the originals, but still awesome. A couple of them have been actually, truly challenging, and thrillingly so, and beating these was exhilaratingly satisfying. One story related boss fight had some pretty cool scripted action moments, which is all I can say without veering into spoiler territory.

They're not massive in scale (so far at least), but they've been amazing so far. They're actual boss fights, as opposed to the ones in the previous games, which were more cinematic set pieces.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's definitely one of the most bold entries in a series. Games like Metroid Prime or WoW may have done more to shake gameplay mechanics up, that could probably be up for debate. God of War is a complete thematic shift on top of some huge gameplay shakeups though. Great work from Santa Monica.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's more so than the other two, although I definitely think it can definitely be place aside those two. Personally, I didn't feel the God of War series was as big or entrenched as Zelda or Resident a Evil. Then there are the reimagining of series moving from 2D to 3D like Mario 64, OoT and Metroid Prime.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think that from an actual "series formula" perspective, BotW is much more bold. Look no further than the controversy. People still make threads complaining about the lack of dungeons, linear narrative or dungeon specific item progression that last pages and pages here on era, and the game is over a year old.

Not to mention it's more bold by the nature of the series itself. Zelda is a much more acclaimed, iconic and long running series than God of War was. Changing it was definitely much more of a risk. The fatigue for the old GoW formula felt much more pronounced than the fatigue for the Zelda formula.

To be fair, we don't know yet whether or not there will he threads like that for GoW lol.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
Literally the only similarity RE4 has with the prior games is tank controls. Its radically different in every other way and the polar opposite in most respects (even if a lot of action RE fans like to downplay it and pretend early RE were action shooters).

Castle Wolfenstein -> Wolfenstein 3D is probably the biggest departure though.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
They're good but very unlike previous games' bosses. Not necessarily massive in scale.

I think I've already had more than half a dozen boss fights so far, and they're amazing. They're amazing for reasons very different from the originals, but still awesome. A couple of them have been actually, truly challenging, and thrillingly so, and beating these was exhilaratingly satisfying. One story related boss fight had some pretty cool scripted action moments, which is all I can say without veering into spoiler territory.

They're not massive in scale (so far at least), but they've been amazing so far. They're actual boss fights, as opposed to the ones in the previous games, which were more cinematic set pieces.
Sounds good so far!

Surely there will be humongous bosses later in the game, right?

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think it was both smart and necessary. The old God of War just wouldn't fly if it released today.

Oct 25, 2017
The only similarities I've been able to spot are very minor things- like repeatedly pressing O to lift heavy objects at times
And even that can be changed to just hold the button now. :P

It does. You're just very early in the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but, more than anything else, those were shifts in perspective, that still retained quite a lot of the old mechanics and design philosophies. Literally none of the gameplay stuff from the older GoW games carries over into this one. And it's a shift in perspective.

Amusingly, this is exactly why I don't want to play the new game. The gameplay pacing and the core combat just don't look like my thing at all.

I'll give them points for boldness and audacity, but they've basically pulled the game completely out of the genre I like and shoved it into a genre I really have zero interest in playing. So YMMV, I suppose.

OP
OP
Master Chuuster

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Most reboots or radical departures either ignore or loosely reference past games. What keeps surprising me that even though this is a semi-reboot, they didn't throw everything away. Kratos' character and past are huge factors of the narrative and they pull it off so well.
Yeah, that's another thing I'm loving about this game. Even though it's a MASSIVE reboot, it still constantly makes meaningful connections and callbacks to the old games. As a fan of the series, that's very good to see.

The difference is that the original LoZ did a lot of what BotW does. Literally no God of War game has ever been anything like this new one.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, we don't know yet whether or not there will he threads like that for GoW lol.
Even then, it was obvious before BotW that "lack of big dungeons" in a new Zelda game would obviously cause controversy.

There's nothing about the new GoW like that that I can see endless threads and posts being made arguing about. They seemed to absolutely nail the combat, which is the biggest change and also what the old games were best known for.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of franchises that have been around a long ass time can learn a thing or two about God of War and to a point, Assassins Creed Origins.

Zelda too. People where getting a bit tired of the OoT derivative sequels and they did what needed to be done.

You can keep doing the same thing with slight changes sequel after sequel as sales dip until your IP is dead and you shut down the studio or you can take a bit of extra time and but in the work to reinvent yourself

A few currently active once industry leading franchises I can think of that are over the hill and in desperate need of a rethink.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
In a way that's fine since God of War cannot be compared to Devil May Cry anymore like the endless debates that popped up back then

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
eh, i still think zelda is a bigger departure

This game is wildly impressive tho, Im absolutely in love

I disagree. Breath of the Wild feels like a natural evolution of the Zelda formula whereas God of War feels like a legitimate departure in just about every way, even in story and tone. You could argue that it sits in an entirely new genre compared to the previous titles. Not sure if you can say the same for Breath of the Wild.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's another thing I'm loving about this game. Even though it's a MASSIVE reboot, it still constantly makes meaningful connections and callbacks to the old games. As a fan of the series, that's very good to see.

The difference is that the original LoZ did a lot of what BotW does. Literally no God of War game has ever been anything like this new one.
The original LoZ was also 30 years ago. We can't pretend like the series didn't gain tons of new fans since then. It's had like 10 masterpieces since the first game. The game that set the formula that BotW completely changed is still the highest rated game of all time. It was extremely bold to change that.

Not to mention, the things BotW changed that cause controversy aren't things that it has in common with the original LoZ. The only thing that causes people to make the original LoZ comparison is more focus on exploration. No big dungeons, no item progression, breakable weapons are all completely new to Zelda.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Isn't this exactly what makes it a little less than bold? It's basically a new IP or a reboot rather than a sequel in the way BOTW or Resi 7 is.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even then, it was obvious before BotW that "lack of big dungeons" in a new Zelda game would obviously cause controversy.

There's nothing about the new GoW like that that I can see endless threads and posts being made arguing about. They seemed to absolutely nail the combat, which is the biggest change and also what the old games were best known for.
Well... I think there is, specifically for the bosses. We'll see haha. Either way it's audacious as heck, so mad props to SSM for that.

Sounds good so far!

Surely there will be humongous bosses later in the game, right?
I think one of the trailers hinted that there might be bigger ones later.

OP
OP
Master Chuuster

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Isn't this exactly what makes it a little less than bold? It's basically a new IP or a reboot rather than a sequel in the way BOTW or Resi 7 is.
It's a 13 year old, well-known, well-loved series with six games following a specific formula and loop in the bag already. Such a radical change for something like that is very bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.