• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
"ThisIsBlitz21

If only they gave Evolution studios another chance as well.

LUNATICS UNITE!!! i havent lost faith that Motorstorm will make a comeback in some form. Idk if it will be a remake, a remaster or a brand new game sadly Evo wont be able to develop it. Pacific Rift is the greatest off road racer that i have ever played and Arctic Edge is second best lol.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
The credit goes to Cory and his team as much as Sony, probably more. Remember Sony did not want to make another GoW game and Cory had to convince them with presentations that it could work.

Also if Evolution was given another chance Onrush would've been a first party game, and see how that would've turned out.
Motorstorm!!!!! not Onrush, Motorstorm!!!!!!!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice read.

After Ascension I too was almost done with God of War, now it's one of my most sought after franchises. Hell it's better than the franchise has ever been. This new God of War is actually the only one to ever potentially peak into my top 10 all time games list. Crazy how one reboot could so effectively change all that.

Good on Sony and Santa Monica for seeing the project through, and naturally congratulations to the entire team and Cory on the success.

Last edited:

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
But Motorstorm Apocalypse was great tho?

It's not Evo's fault that they ended up launching the game right in the middle of the PSN outage.
Compare to Monument Valley, Arctic Edge and the Epic Pacific Rift, Apocalypse was just a good game, not great nor bad, just good. Pacific Rift on the other hand, boiiiiiiiii thats an EPIC game.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
The Order 1888.

Let's go.
giphy.gif

Christopher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is a point to be made that SSM was just one more failure away from closure, following both the failure of Ascension and of their cancelled New IP, but GOW was as safe as safe gets in today's industry. It was yet another Uncharted clone/cookie cutter Sony moviegame.

No idea what SSM's possible closure (no idea if even true) has to do with anything regarding the quality of the game. GOW was safe? Ok....and? KInd of like Mass Effect: Andromeda was safe? It seems you want to say "safe" as to somehow diminish the accomplishment of God of War. Safe, obviously, doesn't mean a game is going to be good or great. What Santa Monica achieved with God of War is truly awesome. Was the award the other night titled Most Safe Game of the Year? No, I don't think so.

"yet another Uncharted clone/cookie cutter Sony moviegame"

And that is a cookie cutter response that has been copied and paste time and time again across forums every where. It is just a knee-jerk false criticism that has been used by those whose personal preferences in gaming do not align with PlayStation for obvious reasons. Bottom line: it is an extremely narrow point of view and hardly original.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a point to be made that SSM was just one more failure away from closure, following both the failure of Ascension and of their cancelled New IP, but GOW was as safe as safe gets in today's industry. It was yet another Uncharted clone/cookie cutter Sony moviegame.

If god of War is a uncharted clone than what game isn't lol. That's like saying Batman is a uncharted clone. Dark Souls is an uncharted clone.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Did you make this image?

bx7lgrfc2j401.jpg

That's a slightly funny imagine but so skewed cause you can take any image from any game and do that.

On topic: I didnt know they were so close to be closed. I always thought of them as a Sony staple developer. God of War 1-3 were highly ranked and highly successful games. I know Ascension didnt set the world on fire but I didnt think after one (Average) game it would be grounds for a closure.

I'm personally very torn between GOW and Red Dead 2 as my personal game of the year. GOW was the first one of its franchise I played through completion and just adored, from the story to the combat and the look of the game, it's almost a masterpiece.

Yet on the other hand Red Dead 2 is also a huge achievement. From the moment the game starts, its flooring on how beautiful and meticulously everything is. I haven't beat it yet, I think I'm at the end of chapter 4 but boy the story is finally picking up.

Either way, I can't disagree with either of those two games for GOTY!

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's amazing how this game was even allowed to be done using GoW's name. It was really a risky project thanks to that.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
God of War isn't just a victory for PlayStation, but it's a victory for Studio Santa Monica. Following God of War: Ascension- Sony Santa Monica was rifed with cancelled projects, multiple reboots, and rumors of closure. Irrespective of all this- Shu Yoshida, Shawn Layden, and the upper Management at PlayStation decided to give them a second chance.

That's the reason why I wanted studio to win the award. GOW development was such a rough and bumpy ride. I almost teared up when they won.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Sony Santa Monica was in danger of closing down? That's news to me honestly

If anything that praise and limelight should go to Insomniac, but it is what it is.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Taking the high road seems like an odd phrasing, especially if all of those reboots and etc. were just unreleased projects. Could you say the same about Overwatch in 2016 then? It won the same award and was based off that cancelled Titan project. Maybe this is somehow different but was Sony really looking to shut down SSM?

Stig's canceled game was supposedly like 100 million dollars down the drain. That's like making a MCU movie and then never releasing it.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The game is average, SSM wasn't going to shut down, and the OP is overly dramatic.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Nice article. It's easily one of the top 10 best games I've ever played I think. Masterpiece in so many ways.

Also, imagine unironically using the term "Sony moviegame". lmao.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The game is average, SSM wasn't going to shut down, and the OP is overly dramatic.

The canceled project before God of War cost them a massive amount money, tens of millions of dollars, and caused them to lay off like 50 + staff. Before that Ascension was basically a flop, especially compared to GoW3

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
If it's true that they were on the verge of being closed, I don't think Cory could make a new IP as his next game, first a sequel to GOW and if it's still successful then a new IP.

He's probably directing GOW2 regardless tho.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Sony gave Evolution an extra year, and they still fucked up.

It's not just sales at that point. They took a major PR hit.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Taking the high road seems like an odd phrasing, especially if all of those reboots and etc. were just unreleased projects. Could you say the same about Overwatch in 2016 then? It won the same award and was based off that cancelled Titan project. Maybe this is somehow different but was Sony really looking to shut down SSM?
Agreed, but after posting a critical and financial disappointment, then cancelling a game they spent a TON of money on, it would have been easy for sony to downsize that studio and limit investment, instead it appears that they got all the support and funding they needed to make their game, and the payoff ended up being worth the risk.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
In the universe of a thousand reboots I find it hard to think of it as anything more than a very good video game that was soft rebooted. Not really a magical second chance story

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that it's an underperforming GoW game, a new IP canceled, and then 6 years on a GoW "reboot", with the one shit take and extreme changes to combat/ game direction.

Sony funding GoW in the capacity they did was extremely impressive.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
This article is a little pretentious. Its just an average videogame.

I know people have opinions and all but these posts are just ridiculous.

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The article makes a great point, people and teams need the ability to fail in order to turn out something as special as God of War. The award was rightfully earned, in my opinion.

However, a title like "A Celebration of Second Chances" is hilariously ironic considering what website this topic is on. You don't have to look further than some of the replies in this very thread to see the comedy in it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

And here we go....
Did you make this image?

bx7lgrfc2j401.jpg
lol

TREES!!!!

At least it's a real video game.

ScaleboundGOTY
Damn, lol

Jan 11, 2018
The credit goes to Cory and his team as much as Sony, probably more. Remember Sony did not want to make another GoW game and Cory had to convince them with presentations that it could work.

Also if Evolution was given another chance Onrush would've been a first party game, and see how that would've turned out.

Wasn't it Shannon actually? Cory was brought back SPECIFICALLY to reimagine God of War.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
If it's true that they were on the verge of being closed, I don't think Cory could make a new IP as his next game, first a sequel to GOW and if it's still successful then a new IP.

He's probably directing GOW2 regardless tho.

I'd rather he didn't direct GOW2. What made the original trilogy great was the Star Wars approach of different directors and different eyes in the lead. You can absolutely tell 3 different people made 3 games in the same series and it's great.

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Great read. So happy GOW won.

I mean what I'm about to write in the purest (and non hyperbolic) way possible, God of War changed my life. I might do a small video essay on it in the next month and share it but I was really happy it was recognized publicly for something that touched me emotionally.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's hard to name another franchise that took such a drastic turn for the better. Absolutely well deserved.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean what I'm about to write in the purest (and non hyperbolic) way possible, God of War changed my life. I might do a small video essay on it in the next month and share it but I was really happy it was recognized publicly for something that touched me emotionally.

I'm always insanely humbled to see comments like this, as I think a lot of the team is. I'm so glad the game was able to have such a positive effect on you!

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
GoW winning that award made me unreasonably happy, considering how much I generally don't care about awards in media.

That game just had literally everything I love and look for in games, like a cool fantasy setting, good skill based combat with satisfying upgrades and abilities, and really strong focus on narrative and characters. The thing that puts GoW above Witcher 3 for me is the smaller and more focused story experience - less meandering and a more intimate experience.

It's also the first big game I played (not counting the "me and wife" games like Mario Odyssey) after the birth of my daughter. So that fatherhood aspect to the story and Kratos' development gave me many manly tears.