• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
God of War wins Kinda Funny's game of the year.

Their top 3 is

1. God of War
2. Celeste
3. Spider-man

The full list in the video where they give their reasoning. Lock if old

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I need to watch this ep. but damn if I can find 3 hours to sit in front of the tele and not play video games.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if you've listened to them all year you knew it was going to be God of War. Pretty much no one there likes RDR2. It's a great top 3 though.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Poor Celeste, always the bridesmaid.

That being said, the fact it can tussle with the big games proves how great it is.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, seems like God of War is the undisputed consensus pick at this point. Is it also leading Era's ballot, or is that more contested?

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Nice, I'll watch it soon. Did Jared go down swinging with RDR2?

benny

Oct 26, 2017
I don't follow KindaFunny but that Jared guy doesn't seem to fit. Also I don't think he has many hours in the 20 honorable mentions he has and the "80-90 games that a tier below" those.

The one time he was asked by Greg how much he played something he evaded the question..

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I don't follow KindaFunny but that Jared guy doesn't seem to fit. Also I don't think he has many hours in the 20 honorable mentions he has and the "80-90 games that a tier below" those.

The one time he was asked by Greg how much he played something he evaded the question..
I never thought that jared quite fitted among them and it makes it worse for me as a watcher because I like(d) kinda funny for a reason which jared doesnt really capture

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I haven't watched it yet but knowing Jared I don't doubt it. I mean what else is a guy who runs a RDR2 podcast going to pick?
I thought the team might throw him a bone and make RDR2 the runner-up but I guess it wouldn't make much sense since I THINK only Andrea and Andy had generally positive things to say about the game, other than Jared.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
I never thought that jared quite fitted among them and it makes it worse for me as a watcher because I like(d) kinda funny for a reason.
He seems quite reasonable with his statements, but a lot of it just feels like he just reflects what he believes Greg or Tim want to hear when they talk which I find very off-putting.

It's not that I need ball-busting 100% of the time, but I'm also not into ball-washing.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode. I was shocked Greg miller had Spidey at his #4. Congrats to SSM. It's great to see this game winning so many awards. I still need to play Celeste, Tim really sold me on it.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Well done to GoW. It's really cleaning up with these and deservedly so.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, seems like God of War is the undisputed consensus pick at this point. Is it also leading Era's ballot, or is that more contested?

Never looked into the voting thread but what this community would choose as its GOTY couldn't be more obvious.

I'm also sure this thread won't reach 10+ pages like the Edge thread or the Eurogamer thread because you won't have people coming in here discrediting the whole outlet just because their favorite game didn't win.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 31, 2017
I mean if you've listened to them all year you knew it was going to be God of War. Pretty much no one there likes RDR2. It's a great top 3 though.

I watched their GOW review, so it's not a surprise for me, yeah. I didn't know they weren't into RDR2, though.

This is the NeoGAF crowd and it's a Sony exclusive, what do you think?

True, there's no way a critically acclaimed game like God of War would get GOTY anywhere except here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also sure this thread won't reach 10+ pages like the Edge thread or the Eurogamer thread because you won't have people coming in here discrediting the whole outlet just because their favorite game didn't win.

Are we honestly going to pretend it's mostly/only GoW fans coming into these kinds of threads trying to discredit the outlet, when right above your post we find posts like this:

This is the NeoGAF crowd and it's a Sony exclusive, what do you think?

Come on...

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are we honestly going to pretend it's mostly/only GoW fans coming into these kinds of threads trying to discredit the outlet, when right above your post we find posts like this:

Come on...

What do you mean? He's just stating what kind of games this community usually votes for and doesn't say anything against God Of War or discredits KindaFunny.

And in the last 14 years GAF/ERA voted for a Sony or Nintendo exclusive 11 out of 14 times as their #1 GOTY so I don't think assuming God of War will win is that much of an outrageous prediction. I would be extremely surprised if it doesn't happen.

May 5, 2018
Poor Celeste, always the bridesmaid.

That being said, the fact it can tussle with the big games proves how great it is.
Don't feel bad for Celeste. It's won the 4th most GOTY awards with 6, followed by GOW with over 100 wins, RDR2 with over 70 and Spider-Man with 11 I think. Check out the stats on GOTYpicks. Not bad for an indie.

Last edited:

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
And in the last 14 years GAF/ERA voted for a Sony or Nintendo exclusive 11 out of 14 times as their #1 GOTY so I don't think assuming God of War will win is that much of an outrageous prediction. I would be extremely surprised if it doesn't happen.

Gee, I wonder why that is?

Ever thought it is due to the fact Nintendo and Sony have been making great games for best part of those 14 years hence being voted GOTY on a gaming forum?

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gee, I wonder why that is?

Ever thought it is due to the fact Nintendo and Sony have been making great games for best part of those 14 years hence being voted GOTY on a gaming forum?

I never said anything against that nor did I say these GOTY picks weren't deserved?
They a far from the only ones in the industry making great games though.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Only surprising thing about the Kinda Funny GOTY deliberations is that Tim had Spider-Man ahead of Greg on his GOTY list
I also thought Jared would've at least had an honorable mention for Spidey since he called it awesome on previous Gamescasts, but he says that about every game he plays, so
Still, all love for the Kinda Funny crew! They and Easy Allies are the only gaming personalities I listen to

Last edited: