• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Are we?

How do you know RDR 2 will get most awards from websites?

? What are you trying to say? Are you asking how do we know if GoW is going to win overall GotY? Obviously no one knows who will take it, but based off of the initial awards that are coming out, the fact that God of War is winning with major publications such as TGA and even with non gaming publications like Entertainment Weekly and Time magazine, we can start seeing that GoW is in a good spot to steal it from RDR2. We'll by the end of the year when a majority of the awards start going out.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Can you all start putting names to these "all these posts about salt" comments? I'm seeing more posts in here about people complaining about other saying salt than the actual comments you all keep saying is happening in here.

Search the word "salt", lol. Like I said, I loved both games, even platinumed GoW. I certainly didn't go off crying and not finish watching the game awards when RDR2 won a few awards, because I believe it deserved them. I also believe GoW deserved GOTY. It is possible to enjoy and respect two games. It's pathetic seeing people shit on other games because it isn't their favorite.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly baffling that majority of "GOW won" threads talk more about RDR 2 than GOW itself.

They are the 2 most popular games of the year. One a solid experience with proven design trends but that fails to be more than that, the other a bold experience that tries a lot of new and while some parts hit others don't making it an uneven experience which amazes some and annoys others. It was to be expected that they would clash during award season.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Ugh, mentions of RDR2 in a Gow thread. Mentions of BOTW in RDR2 threads. Can't we just like all games for what they provide?

Well deserved, SSM. Also kudos to the user who name dropped Jason McDonald.

Oct 27, 2017
Search the word "salt", lol. Like I said, I loved both games, even platinumed GoW. I certainly didn't go off crying and not finish watching the game awards when RDR2 won a few awards, because I believe it deserved them. I also believe GoW deserved GOTY. It is possible to enjoy and respect two games. It's pathetic seeing people shit on other games because it isn't their favorite.

Agreed, but the point remains that the topic at hand was about EW giving GoW GotY. From the first page, we already had salty people coming and making snide remarks in regards to GoW. People don't get to come into a thread, shitpost, and then get defensive when people call them out. It's pathetic.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, but the point remains that the topic at hand was about EW giving GoW GotY. From the first page, we already had salty people coming and making snide remarks in regards to GoW. People don't get to come into a thread, shitpost, and then get defensive when people call them out. It's pathetic.

I feel like we're agreeing in an argumentative way, lol. The game kicks ass and deserves to be celebrated for its achievements.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
OMG..i am noticing a pattern.

Last Of Us
God Of War
Common traits: Word of Word

Grand Theft Auto 5
Red Dead Redemption 2
Common Traits: Word word word number

Conclusion:
So 'word of word' > 'word word word number'!!!

images

dhMeAzK.gif

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
OMG..i am noticing a pattern.

Last Of Us
God Of War
Common traits: Word of Word

Grand Theft Auto 5
Red Dead Redemption 2
Common Traits: Word word word number

Conclusion:
So 'word of word' > 'word word word number'!!!

images

If Rockstar wants to win next time they release a game, they need to call it "Thief of Cars"

Oct 31, 2017
Like God of War, RDR2 has been excellent in exploration.

I read a post from someone elsewhere of a note he found in a house, written by a Confederate soldier to his Union girlfriend. He couldn't believe he fell in love from someone from the Union and he didn't want to fight but he knew he'd get killed if he didn't. In this house was the skeleton of a woman.

He left the house and starting hunting a boar. He encountered a skeleton that was impaled by a rifle, and at first he didn't think much of it. Then he inspected it in first person, and there was a letter. It was the letter from the woman he found dead in the house.

Stuff like that is what makes video games such an amazing medium. Stumbling upon secret areas and new realms in God of War, finding "old world" data and stories in Horizon Zero Dawn, discovering the story of Ish in The Last of Us, piecing together stories from homes in Red Dead Redemption 2... no other medium have I seen can match the level of discovery that a video game can offer.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Easy choice, GoW is my game of the Gen.
RDR2 isn't even in my top 10 for this year. It for sure does some impressive things, but it's not really a great game IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really salt. I just don't care for the game (it lost what was appealing about God of War, the dumb fun that series was) but I can very easily see why it's popular with critics now that game players no longer all 20 somethings.

It doesn't take age or parenthood to appreciate a thoughtful, personal story with modern sensibilities more than a barbaric testosterone-filled spectacle. It just takes a little class.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Congrats to Sony Santa Monica! It really was a wonderful game.

I like RDR2 a lot, but I think its gameplay is too weak to consider it my own GOTY. God of War is really a full package. It's technically excellent, if perhaps not quite the technical wonder RDR2 is, tells a good story, and plays really, really well.

RDR2 is an achievement though, for sure.

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm still surprised to see monster hunter world resonate with so many people for how unuser-friendly to newcomers that game is, especially for gaming journalists.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well deserved. I really enjoyed my time with the game but feel there's a lot of room for improvements as well, I only say this as a huge fan of the franchise. Would really like jump being added back to the franchise and more camera options, love the way RDR2 handled this with how far or close you want the camera, this is what the next God of War should do. Core gameplay was incredibly strong and Kratos relationship with his Son was beautiful, a very strong start to a new franchise.

My GOTY this year was RDR2 though. I don't like open world games and only play those that feel fast paced so it doesn't get boring like Infamous and Spider-man(driving around is boring too). Red made me believe in what an open world can accomplish if done right. You're not playing in this world you are living in it and it's every bit as alive as I could have hoped. So much so that when the immersion does break it's so minor that I can forgive it. It's my 2nd favourite game this gen for a setting that feels sublime to to explore and interact with including all its inhabitants.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
? What are you trying to say? Are you asking how do we know if GoW is going to win overall GotY? Obviously no one knows who will take it, but based off of the initial awards that are coming out, the fact that God of War is winning with major publications such as TGA and even with non gaming publications like Entertainment Weekly and Time magazine, we can start seeing that GoW is in a good spot to steal it from RDR2. We'll by the end of the year when a majority of the awards start going out.

Overwatch won in almost all the important sites in 2016, but Uncharted 4 ended on top because of the lesser known sites and readers vote.

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Definitely deserves to be in the top three, but personally I don't have it beating Red Dead 2 in any capacity despite how awesome it is. I guess that just shows what a great year it's been for games.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Interesting. Definitely deserves to be in the top three, but personally I don't have it beating Red Dead 2 in any capacity despite how awesome it is. I guess that just shows what a great year it's been for games.
Key is "personally". Apparently a lot of folks including major press sites disagree. God of War is an amazing game. It doesn't mean RDR2 is not great but clearly a lot of people feel that GoW is a better game.

Dec 4, 2017
London
Red Dead deserves GOTY imo. Amazing world, narrative, acting, writing, and performances. The game caused me to openly weep twice.

Are weeps a legitimate metric for discerning a games GOTY-ness?

My weep quotient this year:

1: Spiderman: 2 x weeps
2: God of War: 1 x weep
3: RDR2: 0 x weeps

My personal GOTY order out of those three:

1: God of War
2: RDR2
3: Spiderman

So now, I don't know what to think.

Oct 27, 2017
Key is "personally". Apparently a lot of folks including major press sites disagree. God of War is an amazing game. It doesn't mean RDR2 is not great but clearly a lot of people feel that GoW is a better game.

Absolutely. As I mentioned, just shows how good this year has been when you have such top tier games that can all be rotated into GOTY spots depending on taste.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No lies detected. Dont get me wrong Red Dead is a Great game however GOW is just better. Overall they are both equal however when it comes to actual gameplay and control thatd the nudge GOW gets. GOW controls are right and responsive, Red Dead are floaty with stupid "weight" behind them, this is why GOW wins for me every time.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Are weeps a legitimate metric for discerning a games GOTY-ness?

My weep quotient this year:

1: Spiderman: 2 x weeps
2: God of War: 1 x weep
3: RDR2: 0 x weeps

My personal GOTY order out of those three:

1: God of War
2: RDR2
3: Spiderman

So now, I don't know what to think.
Interesting breakdown.. I think Red Dead was my only weep-inducer this year, but GOW did leave me misty-eyed twice as well.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Before any GOTY awards dropped I was wondering how they would even justify giving GOTY to GoW when they gave RDR2 even more praise and even better scores.
The Game Awards, which GoW won GOTY at, are also chosen partly by the gaming press, so that was a first indicator that they indeed favor GoW after all?

a review is from one person, GOTY is the consensus of every one in that site/company.