• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2017
Days Gone appears to be the shortest gap (2 years), is that right?

I imagine 2 years will be more like the standard going forward for new release stuff now. They'll fill in gaps with porting the remaining back catalogue of PS4 stuff intermittently. I expect Spider-Man to be a big deal whenever it gets ported.

Since there have been a few people saying this, has this ever happened in the history of videogames? And I mean in a significant capacity.

We have no statistics whatsoever, just theorycrafting. You could make a case that anybody tempted to jump into playstation as a result of this now is offset by people who only play playstation for the 5 exclusive games they care about per gen, which they now know they'll never need to buy a playstation for. Since no stats exist either way, who's to really say?

The biggest benefit, which is undeniable to all parties, is simply that they'll sell millions of copies of these games on PC.

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
Never understood why threads such as this have 28 pages of anything other than... glad it's coming to PC; I'll enjoy playing it.

PC players will never buy a console to play a sequel to a game they like early... they'll just spend that time playing other things and invest that $500 into their next upgrade.
  • I'm mainly a PC player and that line of thinking applies to all ends of the spectrum.
  • Played the original Halo:CE when it launched on PC, played Halo 2 in 2007 (3 years after the console release) and played 3, 4 and Reach only when the MCC launched.
  • I played TLOU through PSNow (because I heard good things about it), but hated the latency and I'm not going to get a PS4/PS5 for TLOU2, I'll play it if and when it eventually gets to PC.
  • Now I'm really glad MSFT sobered up and are launching their titles day and date on PC (I'm a GamePass subscriber already)... will Sony ever do the same? not right away but everything points to things heading that way anyway.
  • Console makers do NOT want to keep fighting for the same 150 million user market every gen when they can expand to PC, Mobile, Cloud, TVs... etc.
I'm glad I'll finally get to experience GoW 2018, if I like I'll play the sequel when it launches on PC (whenever that may be).

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
As a Sony fanboy (who dabbles in PC/Nintendo/Xbox/mobile etc), this seems more like a perfect cashgrab for Sony with GOW being sold for $10 nowadays.
Sony gets paid, PC players get a great game:
tumblr_m94vl4L7B91qfehmto1_500.gif

Guess now we have to wonder which of the PS4 exclusives will win the PC port lottery.
Horizon port -> Upcoming Sequel
Days Gone port -> err Bend had nothing to do atm?
God of War port -> Upcoming Sequel
Uncharted port -> Upcoming Movie Adaptation

My guess
Dreams -> bound to happen one of these days.
Driveclub -> No way, licensing.
Killzone Shadow Fall -> Not unless a Killzone Collection gets made.
The Order -> No way.
Until Dawn -> If a sequel gets made.
inFamous SS/FL -> Probably a random one like Days Gone.
SOTC -> Wait until Ueda's next game is revealed to hype it.
Last Guardian -> See Above.
Concrete Genie -> Maybe.
Gravity Rush 2 -> A collection of both games seems perfect but I'm not sure if its worth it to Sony.
Ratchet (2016) -> on the Geforce Now Leak but I think it might actually be Rift Apart because I feel like 2016 is non-canon now that were back to the OG timeline.
Spider-Man -> Probably next year or 2023 near the sequel.
Bloodborne -> Money down that Sony is sitting on this one until its time for a remake.
Tsushima -> on the Geoforce leak, definitely happening.
TLOU 2 -> probably next year, near the release of the series, maybe a collection with the remake?

I think the rumor of Sony remastering some VR titles could be a sign of upcoming PC ports as well.

Nov 8, 2017
  • Now I'm really glad MSFT sobered up and are launching their titles day and date on PC (I'm a GamePass subscriber already)... will Sony ever do the same? no right away but everything points to thing heading that way anyway.

I think we'll see them slowly wittle down 2 years to 1 year, then eventually simultaneous, as the fear of reducing playstation sales is outweighed by the millions of extra sales and their budgets just continue to climb making it more important than ever that every game sell huge numbers.

I'm not expecting this before the tail end of the gen though. And by then, their business model may have shifted to be promoting their sub service with day one releases, too. It all depends how the market goes - too early to tell.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Will there be a few? Of course. Will it be a noteworthy amount? Not until hell freezes over. Large amounts of PC players who have been waiting for years to get these games on PC aren't suddenly going to buy a $400/$500 console with each game costing $70 a piece at launch just so they can play the sequels, it's just not happening. They'll just wait until those sequels will also come to PC.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
As a Sony fanboy (who dabbles in PC/Nintendo/Xbox/mobile etc), this seems more like a perfect cashgrab for Sony with GOW being sold for $10 nowadays.
Sony gets paid, PC players get a great game:
tumblr_m94vl4L7B91qfehmto1_500.gif

Guess now we have to wonder which of the PS4 exclusives will win the PC port lottery.
Horizon port -> Upcoming Sequel
Days Gone port -> err Bend had nothing to do atm?
God of War port -> Upcoming Sequel
Uncharted port -> Upcoming Movie Adaptation

My guess
Dreams -> bound to happen one of these days.
Driveclub -> No way, licensing.
Killzone Shadow Fall -> Not unless a Killzone Collection gets made.
The Order -> No way.
Until Dawn -> If a sequel gets made.
inFamous SS/FL -> Probably a random one like Days Gone.
SOTC -> Wait until Ueda's next game is revealed to hype it.
Last Guardian -> See Above.
Concrete Genie -> Maybe.
Gravity Rush 2 -> A collection of both games seems perfect but I'm not sure if its worth it to Sony.
Ratchet (2016) -> on the Geforce Now Leak but I think it might actually be Rift Apart because I feel like 2016 is non-canon now that were back to the OG timeline.
Spider-Man -> Probably next year or 2023 near the sequel.
Bloodborne -> Money down that Sony is sitting on this one until its time for a remake.
Tsushima -> on the Geoforce leak, definitely happening.
TLOU 2 -> probably next year, near the release of the series, maybe a collection with the remake?

I think the rumor of Sony remastering some VR titles could be a sign of upcoming PC ports as well.
Uncharted 4/LL remastered port is confirmed for PC next year, as well as PS5

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a PS5 and I like it just fine. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I wanted everything to come to PC. Never having to get a Pro or a Sony console again would be amazing.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Since there have been a few people saying this, has this ever happened in the history of videogames? And I mean in a significant capacity.
No. If a PC user couldn't get convinced to buy a Xbox or PS before Sony and Microsoft released games on PC, then Sony and Microsoft actively supporting PC won't convince them either imo.

Last edited:

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
We have no statistics whatsoever, just theorycrafting. You could make a case that anybody tempted to jump into playstation as a result of this now is offset by people who only play playstation for the 5 exclusive games they care about per gen, which they now know they'll never need to buy a playstation for. Since no stats exist either way, who's to really say?

The biggest benefit, which is undeniable to all parties, is simply that they'll sell millions of copies of these games on PC.
If a PC user couldn't get convinced to buy a Xbox or PS before Sony and Microsoft released games on PC, then Sony and Microsoft actively supporting PC won't convince them either imo.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at but the logic just doesn't check out. Where are these people who have no idea what God of War is and suddenly realize "Wow, I have to get a console now that these games are on PC, adios PC!" once they've played it on PC?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at but the logic just doesn't check out. Where are these people who have no idea what God of War is and suddenly realize "Wow, I have to get a console now that these games are on PC, adios PC!" once they've played it on PC?
Apparently the games are so amazingly good that PC players will rush out to buy PS5s now for the sequels, instead of y'know, just waiting like they did before

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
Nobody's going to drop $400-500 to play the sequel to a PC game when they can just wait for it just like how they waited for the original.

Seriously.

Not one person who actively passed on buying a ps4 and ps4 pro and ps5 is suddenly going to go out and buy one cause they played the definitive versions of GoW and Horizon on their PC lol.

They will continue and consume definitive versions of multiplats like always.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
Some Santa Monica devs are excited for play it on the Deck, so i'm pretty sure that will fare very well on the Deck:

devs of the major Steam games don't have anything to do with Steam Deck optimizing, right? Or do I have that wrong..

I don't know how a SM dev could have any idea how their game might run on Steam Deck at this point?

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Seriously.

Not one person who actively passed on buying a ps4 and ps4 pro and ps5 is suddenly going to go out and buy one cause they played the definitive versions of GoW and Horizon on their PC lol.

They will continue and consume definitive versions of multiplats like always.
In this thread I learned everyone that plays games on a PC is playing on at least a 3080, has always had the opportunity to buy a console, and no video game can be good enough to raise anticipation of its sequel.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
devs of the major Steam games don't have anything to do with Steam Deck optimizing, right? Or do I have that wrong..

I don't know how a SM dev could have any idea how their game might run on Steam Deck at this point?
Devkits are out and many devs have uploaded footage of them playing their games on it. Wouldn't be shocking if SMM got one too.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. I might buy it. I am also seriously doubting if GT7 will get me to buy a PS5 like I planned. Since it seems a PC port is inevitable. Having a console collect dust inbetween the handful of games I play on it seems wasteful.

If I had to guess, GT7 would be the first one that comes to PC a year later. The Nvidia leak suggest some games are coming way sooner than expected.
Imagine waiting an eternity for entire genres.

Lmao damn.

Baku

Jan 24, 2018
I mean, life changes. People get kids, a new partner etc. People Who been playing on pc cross over to consoles because its a easy way to continue play games. I have at least two friends in the mid 30s Who went that route.

And If these said persons have been enjoying PS first party games then they might go with the ps5.

Yall talking for every "pc gamer" out there is pretty lol.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
In this thread I learned everyone that plays games on a PC is playing on at least a 3080, has always had the opportunity to buy a console, and no video game can be good enough to raise anticipation of its sequel.
Buying any console or PC hardware is an investment and you have to be blown out of your freaking mind to make a decision based on one game alone. It does happen for some, but rarely.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Really?Because i built a gaming PC two years ago(also played mostly on PC in the 2000s) and i play games there just like i do on a console.Not everyone has the same experience with you or others
I'm not talking about the practical elements of it.

I'm talking about the mindset, for example, PC gamers rejected paid online, shit like games for windows live, and they're currently rejecting shit like paid exclusives from Epic. Whereas on console, that shit is accepted, and in some cases, celebrated.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Apparently the games are so amazingly good that PC players will rush out to buy PS5s now for the sequels, instead of y'know, just waiting like they did before
At least I'm mentally prepared now that people have warned me about this sudden urge to spontaneously purchase a PS5 once you're done with the game.

I mean, life changes. People get kids, a new partner etc. People Who been playing on pc cross over to consoles because its a easy way to continue play games. I have at least two friends in the mid 30s Who went that route.

And If these said persons have been enjoying PS first party games then they might go with the ps5.

Yall talking for every "pc gamer" out there is pretty lol.
Ohh, so all of this is their retirement plan for middle-aged parents? 🤔

No but seriously, it sounds like those people are already in the market for a console so I really don't see how God of War being on PC would change much.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about the practical elements of it.

I'm talking about the mindset, for example, PC gamers rejected paid online, shit like games for windows live, and they're currently rejecting shit like paid exclusives from Epic. Whereas on console, that shit is accepted, and in some cases, celebrated.

Still don't see the "completely different" part

Baku

Jan 24, 2018
At least I'm mentally prepared now that people have warned me about this sudden urge to spontaneously purchase a PS5 once you're done with the game.

Ohh, so all of this is their retirement plan for middle-aged parents? 🤔

No but seriously, it sounds like those people are already in the market for a console so I really don't see how God of War being on PC would change much.

It could be the deciding factor of wich console said person goes for. Its Mostly about earning money from pc but it is also to out the PS brand in the mind of a different consumer. Things aint White or black.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
GOW is only two spots behind Elden Ring in the top wishlists, ahead of games like Monster Hunter Rise (which launches just 2 days before).

I wonder how big the launch will be.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Platform warring
PC gamers really can't fathom some might "downgrade" to a console.

Once you join the master race, you will never degrade yourself to a filthy console peasant.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

We'd need to ask him to get a answer. But at the very least imo a GoW developers should know the specs the game will need on PC and can compare it to the official steam deck specs.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
I guess they could have a dev kit, they are Sony after all.

Devkits are out and many devs have uploaded footage of them playing their games on it. Wouldn't be shocking if SMM got one too.

Ah did not realize that all major devs got kits to target for their multiplats. I thought the deck was designed to run the games as is and Valve is going through games to notify which ones can run and how decently they can run. Didn't realize devs were going back to released Steam games and optimizing a Steam Deck version. Good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.