• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The concept of "gods" is ludicrous. It comes from an arrogance that humanity is special and needed to be created.
We are apes. No more, no less.
Evil also doesn't exist. It's a concept that doesn't have any reason to exist.
Religion at it's core is a meme (in the sense of an idea that spreads through the population and self-replicates itself). And it's success largely comes from the fact that in early human socities it definitely had several major advantages that would help the people propogating them survive. Humans are social creatures and religion helps create a group identity which in turn helps us survive, especially when we look at our early hunter gatherer ancestors. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean it's still beneficial. I'd argue humans have reached a point where we have other means of establishing group identities that aren't so inherently exclusionary or inflexible and that we've come to a point where conditions have changed such that at best it's a vestigial feature of our society and at worst actively detrimental

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Fair enough, those posts are bad. That said I don't think there's anything wrong with the fundamental idea of analyzing and critiquing a set of beliefs. The premise of this thread does not inherently demonize Christians, merely analyzes an aspect of the belief system and comes to its own conclusions

I agree with you that it's not inherently about an Abrahamic god, but when you see people quoting Richard Dawkins and The God Delusion, it's pretty obvious where it's going.

That being said, I'm a Christian. So there's obviously a bias I have towards it. But I still understand that there are massive flaws with the mythology, and it's essentially why I disregard the entire Old Testament as nothing other than Jewish myths handed down and random history bits during the time of the split Kingdoms of Israel and Judea.

Being critical of that is fine, as is being critical of the shit that has happened in the name of religion over the last... Thousands of years. Hell, I'm critical of those same things.

It just sucks that I come to this forum because I'm looking for tolerant conversation, and it seems like every single week, without fail, there's a thread just like this. And it turns into a giant circle jerk. Being critical and belittling someone for believing something isn't the same, however, and doesn't make for a positive conversation from the outset.

Oct 27, 2017
op is all:
A_ydHB.gif

and i'm like:
tenor.gif

Smutpeddler

Jan 11, 2018
Religion at it's core is a meme (in the sense of an idea that spreads through the population and self-replicates itself). And it's success largely comes from the fact that in early human socities it definitely had several major advantages that would help the people propogating them survive. Humans are social creatures and religion helps create a group identity which in turn helps us survive, especially when we look at our early hunter gatherer ancestors. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean it's still beneficial. I'd argue humans have reached a point where we have other means of establishing group identities that aren't so inherently exclusionary or inflexible and that we've come to a point where conditions have changed such that at best it's a vestigial feature of our society and at worst actively detrimental
I fully agree. Early religion was an explanation tool. Imagination at its finest.
It evolved to become a social construct that separates and divides populations.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you that it's not inherently about an Abrahamic god, but when you see people quoting Richard Dawkins and The God Delusion, it's pretty obvious where it's going.

That being said, I'm a Christian. So there's obviously a bias I have towards it. But I still understand that there are massive flaws with the mythology, and it's essentially why I disregard the entire Old Testament as nothing other than Jewish myths handed down and random history bits during the time of the split Kingdoms of Israel and Judea.

Being critical of that is fine, as is being critical of the shit that has happened in the name of religion over the last... Thousands of years. Hell, I'm critical of those same things.

It just sucks that I come to this forum because I'm looking for tolerant conversation, and it seems like every single week, without fail, there's a thread just like this. And it turns into a giant circle jerk. Being critical and belittling someone for believing something isn't the same, however, and doesn't make for a positive conversation from the outset.
I think you also need to understand the amount of personal damage religious adherents have caused to those they love, including those on this forum. For some people here this forum is their safe space where they can talk to others also surrounded by religious zealotry and escape what is, to them, the madness. Christianity gets shit on because it's the dominant religion in areas where a large chunk of people on era live.

Last edited:

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
He just killed (almost) everyone with the flood because they didnt believe in him. He views anyone who doesnt worship him as bad. He's a goddamn narcissist. And no, just because he 'created the world' doesnt justify his crazy rationale. Thats a catch all excuse to justify shit that doesnt make any goddamn sense. Oh but he sent Jesus to like save our sins *if we believe in him*, still needs a big ego boost. And everyone who needs a bit of evidence before believing anything, something thats entirely reasonable (faith arguments are so annoyingly wrong), are just doomed to damnation for all eternity just cause they didnt satisfy his ego. What does he do all day, just masturbate to pictures of himself all day? Dudes got issues. Normal people dont get all crazy like this with their creations.

Preaching to the choir here but, fuck God. Hell I aint even capitalizing his name in this next sentence. god. o shit.

As the wise goddess, Erykah Badu once said:

"Most intellects do not believe in God
But they fear us just the same"

Or as the wise Nastradamus once said:
"Niggas fear what they don't understand.
Hate what they can't conquer,
guess it's just inferior man."

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The best thing to do is realize it's all made up garbage, and then think about it at little as possible while trying to be a decent person and build a nice life. And also, of course, contending with the demented weirdos who drink the kool-aid and make important decisions based on superstition and bad information.

It's pretty fun to realize a huge fraction of the people in society are toddling around with magic in their brains, guided by imagined signs or pretend missions.

Last edited:

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I think you also need to understand the amount of personal damage religious adherents have caused to those they love, including those on this forum. For some people here this forum is their safe space where they can talk to others also surrounded by religious zealotry and escape what is, to them, the madness. Christianity gets shit on because it's the dominant religion in areas where a large chunk of people on era live. If adherents to your religion commonly engage in homophobia, transphobia, etc, that religion will get no quarter here (even if you belong to a sect that doesn't, or you personally don't believe in those aspects).

That's understandable, but at the same time there are those on the other side of the argument who are trying to fight against the bullshit within the religion, yet are still cast in the same light.

I'm not trying to "some good people on both sides" this, but it sucks from this perspective. It also doesn't do anything to help anyone to have it called a mental illness, inferiority complex, etc.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Wait, how can you straight up ignore the entire Old Testament?

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
THis guy agreed with you as well OP. Only difference is he did something about it.

220px-The_Saint_of_Killers_SOK4_Cover.jpg

What're you prepared to do OP?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I think people only say they like him due to fear.

www.youtube.com

The Leftovers - Kevin Reads The Bible

From Season 1 Episode 10 "The Prodigal Son Returns"
I'm saying, if there is some geezer up here with a big white beard, he's a world heavyweight cunt. Yeah, he's got a hard-on for mass murder and giving kids cancer and his big old answer to the existential clusterfuck that is humanity is to nail his own bleeding son to a plank. That is a cunt move. Come on, even you got to agree with me there... We should lob a fucking nuke at him, get it over and done with. You know what I'm saying? ... All right, good talk. Think about it. I'm here all day, all right?
200.gif

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Wait, how can you straight up ignore the entire Old Testament?

As a Christian, it's actually pretty easy. All you essentially have to believe is that God is real and God created Mankind (which in this case is intelligence design, not literally breathing life into a dude made of clay) and... well, that's about it for the Old Testament. The rest, as I said, I believe are Jewish myths and traditions handed down (the stories of Elijah and Elisha, etc.)

The real belief as a Christian comes from the belief that Jesus was the Messiah and came to reconcile the sins of Mankind by sacrificing himself, while also teaching others about kindness and forgiveness.

Jesus even says that "I am the way, the truth, and the life". He, and his teachings, are the main focal point of Christianity. Or should be for anyone who really believes in Christianity.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
He flooded the world because it got to evil.

As for believing in him, why would you let someone live in your house forever if they bad mouth and/or ignored you. God doesn't actually owe you anything.

Catholic dogma does have a middle ground where people go if they don't get into heaven but don't got to hell either. BTW.

You talking Purgatory? Because eventually those people go to heaven.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
God is the prime mover, the one who set in motion the universe. But is impartial, comprised of all realities and possibly realities, a sum of all consciousness yet the whole is more than the sun of its parts.

We're the ones putting value judgement on things through our limited understanding. Good and evil are our own constructs.

All That Is simply Is.

Oct 27, 2017
or
H9Z8Trl.jpg

but kidding aside, many religious folks are lovely people because they view their religion as a philosophy they follow and do good works, while eschewing the tribal vestiges (god doesn't mind if we eat shellfish we have refrigeration, gay people don't make jesus cry, etc) no one has beef with these people. there's only an issue when religion is used as a system of control. if we were designed to be this dang stubborn and ornery then we were built to live free.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
God is the prime mover, the one who set in motion the universe. But is impartial, comprised of all realities and possibly realities, a sum of all consciousness yet the whole is more than the sun of its parts.

We're the ones putting value judgement on things through our limited understanding. Good and evil are our own constructs.

All That Is simply Is.

god:
RaggedFrequentKusimanse-size_restricted.gif

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

All That Is simply Is.
So there is no god, the universe just is and has always been.

Smutpeddler

Jan 11, 2018
As a Christian, it's actually pretty easy. All you essentially have to believe is that God is real and God created Mankind (which in this case is intelligence design, not literally breathing life into a dude made of clay) and... well, that's about it for the Old Testament. The rest, as I said, I believe are Jewish myths and traditions handed down (the stories of Elijah and Elisha, etc.)

The real belief as a Christian comes from the belief that Jesus was the Messiah and came to reconcile the sins of Mankind by sacrificing himself, while also teaching others about kindness and forgiveness.

Jesus even says that "I am the way, the truth, and the life". He, and his teachings, are the main focal point of Christianity. Or should be for anyone who really believes in Christianity.
Jesus is a literary construction. Nothing in the gospels is true or even based in truth. Pure mythology.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
but kidding aside, many religious folks are lovely people because they view their religion as a philosophy they follow and do good works, while eschewing the tribal vestiges (god doesn't mind if we eat shellfish we have refrigeration, gay people don't make jesus cry, etc) no one has beef with these people. there's only an issue when religion is used as a system of control. if we were designed to be this dang stubborn and ornery then we were built to live free.

this may be the best post here. It sums up a lot of how I feel, especially with the frustration of trying to get the point across that I'm not here to proselytize. I want to help people, I want to be good to all people.

I'm a part of a Bible study group at my church that's about 10 of us. The class is called Faith and Issues, and it's all young adults-to-middle aged folks. We discuss common issues and how we can put our resources towards helping them.

I'm not going to claim every person who claims to be a Christian is a good person. But every true follower of Jesus' teachings should be a good person that doesn't use it as a system of control.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
The best thing to do is realize it's all made up garbage, and then think about it at little as possible while trying to be a decent person and build a nice life. And also, of course, contending with the demented weirdos who drink the kool-aid and make important decisions based on superstition and bad information.

It's pretty fun to realize a huge fraction of the people in society are toddling around with magic in their brains, guided by imagined signs or pretend missions.

As a demented weirdo toddling around with magic in his brain, I'd still like to know there's a chance for the two of us to be best pals.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
So there is no god, the universe just is and has always been.
No there is, but probably not what we think in terms of Christianity.
I like to think of a painter or artist who had every conceivable creation inside it but no means to create it. Finally, boom, it created all of it from within, into the physical reality, the Big Bang. But in doing so gave its creations consciousness. they're a part of it still but also their own entities to create.
It doesn't judge the creations, all realities are as valid as the next.
All part of the whole. But since everything is within it, no one knows it's origin.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
No there is, but probably not what we think in terms of Christianity.
I like to think of a painter or artist who had every conceivable creation inside it but no means to create it. Finally, boom, it created all of it from within, into the physical reality, the Big Bang. But in doing so gave its creations consciousness. they're a part of it still but also their own entities to create.
It doesn't judge the creations, all realities are as valid as the next.
All part of the whole. But since everything is within it, no one knows it's origin.

Yeah I lean into this same thought as well. God as a very real stream of consciousness we're a part of. Science to me, is literally studying God itself.

I mean, if you can be normal and keep faith in its proper place, my description doesn't apply to you.

Eh, a little bit it does. I feel compelled by my faith to carry out secret missions all the time. I just accomplished one right now in fact ❤

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Parasitic wasps are the only proof I need that god is a sick, cruel fuck.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
i'm convinced if God of the old testament, if he is real, was a maladjusted teenager playing sim universe.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah I lean into this same thought as well. God as a very real stream of consciousness we're a part of. Science to me, is literally studying God itself.
Yes!
Years ago I was a biochemistry major, then switched to religious studies and philosophy.
I never viewed them as opposing factors, but both trying to explain the same reality in different terms.
Reading the quantum theories of David Bohm and other philosophy and metaphysics made perfect sense. They're the exact same.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
You said you're part of a Bible study group, do you study where the bible came from? Or do you just take the Bible's word for what it is?

By where the Bible came from do you mean the Old Testament or the New? It's pretty firmly established that the New Testament is comprised mainly of letters Paul sent circa 50 CE. And if not Paul, then his later letters were written by his scribes.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
the alien asshole who has us trapped in this petri dish is definitely evil but they're no god

seriously the ending to
Men in Black
is more credible than what's in the Bible

Smutpeddler

Jan 11, 2018
By where the Bible came from do you mean the Old Testament or the New? It's pretty firmly established that the New Testament is comprised mainly of letters Paul sent circa 50 CE. And if not Paul, then his later letters were written by his scribes.
Paul's letters are the most disputed part of the new testament. Only seven are considered legitimate bu scholars.
Paul only saw a vision of Jesus. It's right there in the writing. He is imagining the whole thing.