• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not the "Shining" franchise, the "Shining Force" franchise itself.

Several years ago we got a little bit of love and received this remake of the original Shining Force on the GBA

61RAFGKE99L._SX342_.jpg

It had updated graphics, some new characters, new items new battles etc. They also clarified certain parts of the story and changed some dialogue. Some people didn't like all the new stuff but I'm glad it exists.

In my mind I always expected and WISHED for Shining Force 2 to get similar treatment during the 3DS era. I so wanted them to do a remake of that with updated graphics.

The current Shining Force series is more or less non-existent. Far departures from their SRPG roots, a series which used to compete head to head with the likes of Fire Emblem in popularity.

I hope that someday we get some love from Sega. They've done ports of the original couple games in classic collections. But I want one of the following things:

1) A remake of Shining Force II
2) An HD Collection of Shining Force III (all three campaigns)
3) Make Shining Force IV (SRPG)

Please SEGA. PLEASE

In this little golden era we're having of RPGs, JRPGs, and SRPGs, I feel it would fit in well.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
HD Collection? Give me a SEGA Ages version of the games in the original resolution translated and I am already super happy

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
You mean something good with it. The current developers/producers in charge of Shining (Force) care more about selling Tony Taka doujin-tier art projects than making anything as ambitious and complex as Camelot's classics. I can only hope M2 and Yosuke Okunari finally bring the full, English-translated Shining Force III to a larger audience through SEGA AGES or a similar Saturn-based line-up.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I see how Sakura Wars "won the bid" to become Fire Emblems competition, but yeah, Sega could definitely give some love to this franchise and see if theres interest from the fanbase. They would definitely have my support.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
Classic Shining Force coming back in some way has been one of my biggest SEGA hopes for at least a decade now. God, I love those games. It's a worn-out sentiment by now, but in a world where Fire Emblem is more popular than ever, I don't know how they haven't thought to give it another shot.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Whatever happens, I just want to see Yoshitaka Tamaki make some new official Shining art (not just monster designs like he's been pigeon-holed into recently). It's a shame the other classic artist, Hiroshi Kajiyama, passed away too soon to contribute.

I see how Sakura Wars "won the bid" to become Fire Emblems competition, but yeah, Sega could definitely give some love to this franchise and see if theres interest from the fanbase. They would definitely have my support.
Sakura Wars, even with its wargame component, focuses much more on story and character relationships than battles and strategy, whereas Fire Emblem's had the talent and budget to tackle both lately. There's still room for a proper Shining Force revival, albeit not from Camelot unless the Takahashi brothers can get on better terms with SEGA of Japan.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
the new Shining games have a very unappealing art style that's not at all reminiscent of the whimsical original

Camelot probably could make another one if they wanted but they seem perfectly content with making Mario sports titles til the end of time

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
The remake of Sf1 was an interesting take but it ruined a lot of what made the original game stand out so much. The artstyle in particular was very dark in tone with many characters faces having rather rough edges. The remake made everything extremely light in style almost a complete opposite. On top of that the backgrounds for each character portrait were all this ugly yellow that looks out of place on many faces. On certain characters in the original game the face portraits would also change upon promotion to reflect their new look and they... did not do that in this remake outside of 1 or 2 characters and on some characters it looks completely different to how they look post promotion.

Gameplay wise I liked the bonus objectives and the card system (despite the latter being absolutely broken) and the idea that each time you beat the game it would get harder. That was a fun idea.

It's not a bad remake by any means but the original is still the better game IMO.

That said, OP I feel you on wanting Sega to do something with the series. At this point I don't even think they could make a Shining Force 4 that I would be interested in but I would still loved to see a remaster of SF3 with a proper localization. Alas I just don't think that will ever happen, I just don't think Sega appreciates the fanbase in the west at all, we've certainly had conflicts with them in the past and even though they did finally bring over a Shining game last year I don't think it did very well.

Oct 27, 2017
I am kind of curious if they'll ever go back to making the Shining series as strategy RPGs.

I feel like SEGA is just doing one SRPG revival at a time and seeing what works.

The Valkyria revival failed, and now they're bringing back Sakura Wars, but this time actually giving it a budget and staff. Definitely feels like they want the latter to succeed, and I hope it does. I feel like they might focus on that series for a while before potentially giving Shining strategy games a reboot though.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Great memories of playing 1 and 2 on PC. My concern is that Fire Emblem has established its name so much in the genre. I'd think that Shining Force would have some difficulty maintaining footing in our current environment which i'm speculating as to possibly why they haven't revived it as of now. I'd support it if they came out with a new one or remake though.

LongDongJunon

Nov 13, 2017
The best thing they can do is give us a legitimate way to play Scenario 2 and 3.

Everything else is lost to time and Camelot

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 100 percent for this. Fire Emblem shows there is an audience on the Switch that will eagerly accept this.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Why is SEGA not giving support to Shining Force in a world that embraces Fire Emblem?

This always comes up and I can only think is because they saw the sales numbers of the Valkyria Chronicles series and went "Welp, why even bother!"

I mean, there is a reason Sakura Wars is going to action RPG route with the soft-reboot.

rayhorakhty

Jul 30, 2019
You and me both. Shining Force 1 is my favorite game EVER followed closely by 2. Played them all the time as a kid and still play them over and over today. They are timeless classics and I CAN'T understand why Sega just lets them languish. Obviously, the team that made them is gone and they've rebranded it into the Shining series (which I don't care for), but throw us a frickin' bone Sega.

My dream would be for Sega to launch a new console in the same vein as the Switch and have a lineup of reboots of all my favorite Sega games like Shining Force and Golden Axe. I'll just keep dreaming. :(

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
SEGA is going to SEGA. They have so many amazing IPs and yet they do so little.

If they were to market this series right I think it would take off. While I'm not a fan of Fire Emblem I have to give them credit for revitalizing the brand.

Ixzion

Nov 7, 2017
Shining Force 2 is one of my favorite RPGs of all time and Zeon and his crew are some of my favorite villains.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
RPG ish medieval game with a social aspect, in terms of a game that can cater to a similar audience thats enough. Like, my wife is super into FE and will be super into the new SW

To be honest I really want to agree with you; with 3 of the top Simulation (japanese nomenclature)/Strategy RPGS in an old video game poll having heavy romance aspects. I also linked the poll to show a reason why Sega might have chosen to go with Valkyria and Sakura Taisen (asides from the fact that Shining is not heavily known for Tony Taka now).

However, I think the gamestyles are too divergent while having that same appeal.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Shining Force Neo Switch port.

Provide proper 16:9 support, low intro price of 14.99-19.99, and this would sell boatloads.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
you really don't - without camelot, it'd be animu bullshit like it's been for a bit now

you know what's awesome? shining force central kept updating their fan translations, so i was finally able to finish all 3 scenarios of Shining Force III, which was incredible. they even did the premium disc.

what i'm saying is when you have that itch, there's like 3 of them on Shining Force CD alone. i guarantee i had more fun with that then anything the franchise has done in well over a decade.

The greatest franchise in the history of the genre

I particularly love SF3 Scenario 1/2/3 so much

mlESclX.png

see this guy knows what's up

The best thing they can do is give us a legitimate way to play Scenario 2 and 3.

Everything else is lost to time and Camelot

i hear you, but this really was a fantastic way to play

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
You and me both buddy. I just don't trust modern Sega to actually make a good one in these times. It would probably just be some horrible contemporary anime tripe. As harsh as it sounds, It's probably better off dead. I would like a fully translated complete Shining Force 3 someday, but I'll probably just play the fan-translation someday.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Lol this is the 2nd thread in less than a month. But I'm here to recommend everyone play shining force cd and shining force final conflict In the interim.

I'm currently playing through scenario 1 of sf3 and finally getting the hang of it.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Localize Shining Force Feather. It was a pretty fun game, but I didn't understand any of the story or even what the equipment/items did outside of HP/MP up.

Also localize scenario 2 and 3 of Shining Force 3. I spent 90 hours with the fan translation before my save got corrupted during the last boss :(

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shining Force III is so incredible. Just a straight up rerelease on steam would be a mega hit, especially if they included all 3 scenarios. That game is epic and is by far the best SRPG of that generation. When you pair all 3 scenarios and the premium disk together, it's probably one of the top RPGs ever. Really good graphics for a Saturn game, too.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018
It's dead, I consider most unused SEGA IPs dormant but SF is dead... There is no way this series can make a return while Tony Taka's shitty wank art is selling Shining low budget Action RPGs.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty high up on the most wanted revival list that Sega has been going down and actually giving new entries (and it's specifically 'Shining Force', not the 'Shining' franchise). I think there's like a ~1-5% chance Media.Vision is working on some kind of Shining Force related remake, since they were hiring for a 'battlefield RPG remake' in early 2017.

Media.Vision has made a couple of wider Shining games and VC3 (plus was most of the staff of VC4).

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Allow me to hijack this thread for a moment. Are the shining force games for the saturn worth $150? This also includes all three scenarios, holy ark, and the premium disc(they're all in Japanese of course which I don't mind.) I remember always wanting to play these games but never owned a saturn.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't want a new Shining Force if Camelot wasn't involved in some maner tbh. I wish they would remaster Shining Force 3 though, always wanted to play this one.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Allow me to hijack this thread for a moment. Are the shining force games for the saturn worth $150? This also includes all three scenarios, holy ark, and the premium disc(they're all in Japanese of course which I don't mind.) I remember always wanting to play these games but never owned a saturn.
I have it all, all 3 scenarios in japanese, plus the premium disk, plus the US disc, with a modded white saturn that could play CD-Rs and played the entire thing with a 3D controller. One of my all time favorite games, it was worth it for me. It's crazy ambitious for its time, hell even for today.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

The full Shining Force 3 is a top tier experience that is definitely worth it if you enjoy the genre.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I had no idea this was the franchise Camelot worked on before the mario sports titles & Golden Sun. I haven't heard much about it before, but I think I'd give it a try if they did some remakes or a new one. Looks like it would be right up my alley as a big Fire Emblem fan.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sega has been great updating some classic lately. Shining Force is a matter of time. I'll want also a SF III localization. I played it back then with a fan translate and it was great. I 32bit highlight!

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Was thinking about this game very recently (over the past few days in fact), so this thread's timing is most fortuitous. I too wish for a revival of the classic SF formula. Sadly, I doubt we'll see it unless enough people petition it.

Or someone makes a rip off spiritual successor indie title.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I dunno who could do it justice if not Camelot. I don't see Camelot ever going back to it as Nintendo has them firmly planted in their mario sports dungeon for some years now.
If they're out there, I'd love to see it but y'know it's been decades so I don't have much hope.

As long as we're talking SF, I wanted to make a 'design by console limitations' thread with this post as the opener but I'll just toss it here instead because I love SF and how it chose to approach stuff helped it stand out and be very endearing to me still many years later:

SF has been on my mind a lot lately because I ran a D&D campaign using it as inspo and I wanted to share a dumb thing I thought of their design process after hours of staring at sprite sheets from SF1/2/CD; I'm almost sure that the idea or decision to use centaurs in the way they did came from sprite limitations of the time.

Everything else in the game seems to be more or less in line with D&D setting rules except their use of centaurs being much more integrated among other races humans, elves, dwarves and whatnot and I always loved that. Typically D&D treats them more like monsters than anything.

ibYpouv.png

Then looking at these sprites in a 24 x 24 pixel grid long enough and editing them around and such, I started wondering why there weren't any standard human cavalry units like strategy games usually have. Oh, but it'd be impossible to draw a big character sprite like Max here on a horse, there's barely any room left.
So what if instead they were just centaurs instead of human cavalry? I never read any interviews on this so I could be totally wrong but I think it might've been a thing.