• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
You can feel bad about it. I feel a small tinge of sadness when killing animals in Elden Ring. The first few times anyway.

But you so have to rationalise it in your head.

Not real.

Ry.

Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
I mean, it's pretty much just like killing animals in real life. What really sucks is that I have no ability to just play games that don't have animal killing in them. Someone save the fictional video game animals please. Mass murder of humans is ok tho.
People need to wake the fuck up to personal agency and common sense. These are completely voluntary, fictional, video games. You sound like a bad prime time news segment. To each their own and all that, but making a thread like this is hypocritical and old hat. Can we just move on already?

Ry.

Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
I sometimes feel like a fair number of people use the claim of love of animals as a smokescreen for sheer misanthropy, and in order to do so often gloss over real attributes of animal behaviours, like the lack of a natural concept of "consent", like animals that wage territory wars like chimpanzees wars or kill for pleasure like dolphins, who engage in necrophilia like ducks, killing the young to force females into heat as practiced by some bears, the pervasive of cannibalism, all sorts of social insects behaviours like killing their own colony mates to serve the colony's interests or capturing children of other species to serve as workers in their own colony, so on and so forth.

This 100% The idea that killing animals is bad but killing humans is ok is a far more misanthropic a world view. Either we're all mammals and you have a problem with it (sure), or you acknowledge it's just a form of harmless escapism and literally no one is getting hurt here. Logic is hard to come by these days. Damn I'm grumpy tonight.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This 100% The idea that killing animals is bad but killing humans is ok is a far more misanthropic a world view. Either we're all mammals and you have a problem with it (sure), or you acknowledge it's just a form of harmless escapism and literally no one is getting hurt here. Logic is hard to come by these days. Damn I'm grumpy tonight.
You're not grumpy, you're just sounding like a massive bully who enjoys making fun of others feelings and being really loud and obnoxious about it. That's far from grumpy, and you're not the only one, no need to worry.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
People who bring up humans in GTA/open world games completely miss the point. I don't remember GTA forcing me to kill innocent pedestrians and skin them for crafting BS.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

It depends entirely on how they're represented. If you make it truly seem like an awful thing to shoot the thing then people will feel awful shooting it. If it's just another faceless goon, who gives a shit? It's just an abstraction and you're just playing a video game.

This is the reason a game like Spec Ops: The Line still stands out. It took people in a little deeper. Made them feel bad even if momentarily. And some got angry about that and felt manipulated, which was of course the entire point.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
All joking aside, it's odd to see a child chasing a boar in botw with the intent to score a pelt. It does feel a desensitising of hunting even if it is a game.

Open world games should have a better mechanic for that sort of thing.

I have no problem with Mario finishing donkey kong off however by taking out kong's scaffolding.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I would say that in most cases killing animals in games is either utilitarian (you need their meat to survive, pelts to make clothing etc) or self defence (the animal is feral and attacks with the intent to kill you). It doesn't seem unreasonable to hunt or kill animals in such cases. Killing pets is usually only allowed in games that show similar disregard for innocent human life (your GTAs and such).

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Drive-by trolling, previous infraction for similar
In honour of this thread I decided to exclusively butcher animals on Elden Rings.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't even think about killing/hunting animals in real life and even if I have to kill an insect, I do it with regret. :(
But video games? It's just some pixels! I can easily kill and drive on people in GTA or kill animals and... Am I a murderer for that? Nope! Do those things affect on my real life and my behavior on animals and people? Not at all!

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
People who bring up humans in GTA/open world games completely miss the point. I don't remember GTA forcing me to kill innocent pedestrians and skin them for crafting BS.

True, but hunting animals for food and materials is something humans have been doing for thousands of years. It is a common practice even today.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I did lol when you see the cute little foxes for the first time in Kirby and then they turn out to be enemies so Kirby eats them

Ry.

Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
It depends entirely on how they're represented. If you make it truly seem like an awful thing to shoot the thing then people will feel awful shooting it. If it's just another faceless goon, who gives a shit? It's just an abstraction and you're just playing a video game.

This is the reason a game like Spec Ops: The Line still stands out. It took people in a little deeper. Made them feel bad even if momentarily. And some got angry about that and felt manipulated, which was of course the entire point.

I completely agree, though this line of discussion is far from what the initial post is deriding.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Which game makes you under-geared by not killing boars?
The Far Cry series typically gives you gear upgrades from crafting with animal skins. Not sure what boar skins specifically give you, but we're talking stuff like you more weapon slots, grenades, bigger ammo bags, etc. Hunting is important in those games, since three at least (haven't played 6 but I doubt they changed the structure too much).

If you didn't hunt at all you'd be walking around with only two different gun options while a prepared player would get up to four, which is pretty huge IMO. I'm sure a no-hunting challenge could be done, maybe even be fun in a way, but... it would be a challenge, and obnoxious in ways.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021

Is anyone actually saying that killing animals in real life is bad, but killing humans in real life is good? Because last I checked, we were talking about videogames here and people's actions in videogames don't necessarily dictate what they think or believe in real life.

Seems like a massive leap.

Ry.

Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
Is anyone actually saying that killing animals in real life is bad, but killing humans in real life is good? Because last I checked, we were talking about videogames here and people's actions in videogames don't necessarily dictate what they think or believe in real life.

Seems like a massive leap.
Well, if we are taking the OPs position that the virtual killing of animals disturbs them, but the virtual killing of humans does not, it seems rather up for debate. There is definitely a certain derision of their fellow man going on at the minimum. Of course I don't think the OP would be ok with killing people, as that would just be stupid.

Deleted member 93841

Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Well, if we are taking the OPs position that the virtual killing of animals disturbs them, but the virtual killing of humans does not, it seems rather up for debate. There is definitely a certain derision of their fellow man going on at the minimum.

If you truly believe that you can make that assessment, then I'd love to see your psychology degree that qualifies you to do so.

This thread has really brought out the armchair psychologists on Era, so it would be nice to start seeing some qualifications.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
Any game that let's you kill foxes and pigeons is a great game imo.

And its funny, the people saying fuck people because humans are terrible/evil or whatever are literally talking about themselves.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Well, if we are taking the OPs position that the virtual killing of animals disturbs them, but the virtual killing of humans does not, it seems rather up for debate. There is definitely a certain derision of their fellow man going on at the minimum. Of course I don't think the OP would be ok with killing people, as that would just be stupid.

The same could be said to everyone that is fine with action/crime movies, but don't want the dog to die. We are conditioned to not see videogame enemies as "humans" with rare exceptions (TLOU II, Spec Ops)

People bringing "sociopathy" into this don't know how a sociopath is supposed to behave lol, they certainly don't feel empathy for animals let alone "pixels". They would probably love to be as violent as possible in VR.

Last edited:

Ry.

Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
If you truly believe that you can make that assessment, then I'd love to see your psychology degree that qualifies you to do so.

This thread has really brought out the armchair psychologists on Era, so it would be nice to start seeing some qualifications.
Nice job leaving out the last sentence in that quote. Pal, this is a video game enthusiast forum where we can have all the varied opinions we want, and discuss and argue about them freely. Opinions such as "all video games that let you kill animals in them suck" even. If you want to discuss things with accredited psychologists, you might want to find another forum.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
cmon man it's just pixel

imagine if game developer listen to you, the game atmosphere would be boring af

if anything, i'm just glad i killed animal and human for fun in fantasy world, not in real life

Ry.

Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
The same could be said to everyone that is fine with action/crime movies, but don't want the dog to die. We are conditioned to not see videogame enemies as "humans" with rare exceptions (TLOU II, Spec Ops)

People bringing "sociopathy" into this don't know how a sociopath is supposed to behave lol, they certainly don't feel empathy for animals let alone "pixels". They would probably love to be as violent as possible in VR.
No mentions of sociopathy in any of my quotes, just a general annoyance with the juvenile thought processes displayed. This all annoys me as it reeks of the same tropes we hear in news media over games time and time again. Hell, I'm a vegetarian, I don't kill spiders or ants in my house, and yet im perfectly able to accept a game can be a good game even if there is the ability to kill an animal in it. It's bizarre.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No mentions of sociopathy in any of my quotes, just a general annoyance with the juvenile thought processes displayed. This all annoys me as it reeks of the same tropes we hear in news media over games time and time again. Hell, I'm a vegetarian, I don't kill spiders or ants in my house, and yet im perfectly able to accept a game can be a good game even if there is the ability to kill an animal in it. It's bizarre.

Not you, but some people here did. Sorry if wasn't clear

Deleted member 93841

Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Nice job leaving out the last sentence in that quote. Pal, this is a video game enthusiast forum where we can have all the varied opinions we want, and discuss and argue about them freely. Opinions such as "all video games that let you kill animals in them suck" even. If you want to discuss things with accredited psychologists, you might want to find another forum.

There's a difference between having opinions and discussing them and what you (and a selective few others in this thread) are doing. Posting on a videogame enthusiast forum is not a license to start psychoanalysing strangers on the internet. No idea how you got that notion in your head, but I'm here to dissociate you of it.

Ry.

Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
There's a difference between having opinions and discussing them and what you (and a selective few others in this thread) are doing. Posting on a videogame enthusiast forum is not a license to start psychoanalysing strangers on the internet. No idea how you got that notion in your head, but I'm here to dissociate you of it.
I'll make sure to get a degree in psychology before espousing my opinions further. Your authority in this matter is duly noted.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
humans and ancestors kill animals for 10 thousands of years to live, and thanks to our ancestors 2 million or so odd years ago, is how we evolved our brain capacity from consuming meat

era gamer: i don't want to kill a pixel animal

i'm not sure what's the point to discuss lol, this is the case in books, movies, etc too

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Just not the penguins in Elden Ring. Seriously, can't bring myself to even for materials. I famously couldn't will myself to kill the penguin mob type in my old MMO, either. They're too damn cute and harmless! Screw those sheep when the roll away, btw. Like I could possibly let them escape after doing something so disrespectful.

How does this exist? It's... clever, even! It includes the slapstick of getting murdered hilariously by one of the giant lobsters at the end!

I would be in favor of some kind of humane and sustainable farming operations for beast bones, though. Arrows aren't gonna make themselves.

Deleted member 93841

Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I'll make sure to get a degree in psychology before espousing my opinions further. Your authority in this matter is duly noted.

Espouse your opinion all you want. Just leave your armchair psychoanalysis at the door. You do not have the tools, nor the qualifications, to determine how someone's reaction to videogames reflects on their real world views and mindset.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp, but I'm glad I could help enlighten you.

Jul 24, 2018
Just not the penguins in Elden Ring. Seriously, can't bring myself to even for materials. I famously couldn't will myself to kill the penguin mob type in my old MMO, either. They're too damn cute and harmless! Screw those sheep when the roll away, btw. Like I could possibly let them escape after doing something so disrespectful.

How does this exist? It's... clever, even! It includes the slapstick of getting murdered hilariously by one of the giant lobsters at the end!

I would be in favor of some kind of humane and sustainable farming operations for beast bones, though. Arrows aren't gonna make themselves.
This tweet taught me how to parry knights off their horse then kill them and leave the horse alive. So now I do that all the time because I generally don't want to hurt animals either that aren't trying to kill me.

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I love animals as much as the next guy but you better believe I'm going to kill 16 rabbits because some guy in a shack needs their tails for a new necklace.

Ry.

Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
Espouse your opinion all you want. Just leave your armchair psychoanalysis at the door. You do not have the tools, nor the qualifications, to determine how someone's reaction to videogames reflects on their real world views and mindset.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp, but I'm glad I could help enlighten you.

It's impressive that you know what I am and am not educated in, what would we do without your inclination to censor others based upon your own highly accredited and nuanced world views about anonymous Internet forum discussions. You know what, you won me over. Fuck free speech.

Deleted member 93841

Banned
Mar 17, 2021
It's impressive that you know what I am and am not educated in, what would we do without your inclination to censor others based upon your own highly accredited and nuanced world views about anonymous Internet forum discussions. You know what, you won me over. Fuck free speech.

You're making this about free speech? On Resetera of all places?

That clown makeup appeared on your face rather damn fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.