• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If you have kids and they're into the movies, you'll end up watching everything anyway, so just go release order. Disney+ orders them that way already so easy peasy.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
always release order for movies. though I'd skip some. I'd honestly probably only do iron man for phase 1, though that's a pretty slow movie too. Only thor I'd really bother with is Ragnar, though with end game I'd say thor 2 is far more relevant to the plot. Then if need be don't watch sequels to the characters movies your kids don't like. For example if they didn't care for iron man 1 or 2 I don't see 3 really winning them over.

Maybe try some of the cartoons first also? though I've never cared much for marvel animated, dc is much better for that as my son loves teen titans go and dx super hero girls.

Oct 25, 2017
We thought the Captain movies and IM3 were to visceral to watch with the kids, so we skipped them at the time. They were older by the time we got around to Civil War, so we did watch that. Also, someone mentioned the Spiderman movies aren't on D+. Go out of your way to find what movies they released between, and find them.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Echoing release order. All of these wacky timeline orders are fine for dorks who've already watched the whole thing and want to do so again. 99% of the time release order's best for newcomers.

Regarding the ones not on Disney+, The Incredible Hulk isn't the hugest loss - the most important thing is Banner/Hulk and Avengers essentially reintroduces him, though it might be worth hunting it down before She-Hulk comes out. The Spider-Man movies however are pretty big losses and are worth hunting down to maintain release order.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Release order as on D+, go back when they get The Incredible Hulk, and watch the Spider-Man: Home films elsewhere

And the D+ shows after that...

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Skip Thor 1 + Thor 2 as well as Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk. Ant-Mans and Captain Marvel are optional.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I did a rewatch in timeline order to see how that turned out, and yeah, release order is superior. Stuff like seeing Coulson turn up in Captain Marvel is just not nearly as impactful without having been introduced to him previously, y'know?

Release order is the way to go.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
ElectricBlanketFire

My brother
My captain
My king

Do release order

W8ULsEf.gif

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Release order. Don't skip any of them-what's the hurry?

And calm down-it's a fun time.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Our oldest kid just went through them a couple months ago. It was a great experience watching them over the course of a little more than a month. Definitely do release order as they're designed around that and make sure to watch the post credits scenes.

For extra fun, make it sound like everything leads up to Infinity War.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing this with my daughter right now. We're actually skipping the Iron Man films (she doesn't care about him much) and watching everything else in release order

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For real. Academy Award Nominee Kenneth Branagh's Dutch angle laden masterpiece!
I love some of Branagh's directorial work. Dead Again was superb. Cinderella was better than it had a right to be even. Thor 1, not so much. It's not offensively bad like Thor 2, but it's not really something that's essential to the MCU nor something someone that is already not looking forward to watching these movies should subject themselves to.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You should watch them in release order. Would kinda ruin the fun seeing other heroes full on movies before they even made their debut appearance in the movie prior. Like Hulk in Ragnarok.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Release order, make it a weekly thing. Don't just marathon them all together. You want some rumination and anticipation between them.
Then when the 2 year old is 8, time for a rewatch because they won't remember any of it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can skip so many of them, and that's not even really a criticism. These are the most popular, most mainstream movies in the world, and anyone watching is going to know the major characters through sheer pop culture osmosis.

That. Might miss a few callbacks, nothing major. Pretty much everyone of any consequence gets reintroduced.

Keep in mind, EBF is the same dude who has no idea who Cloud is so he might be immune to osmosis.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
How much money are you willing to invest in overpriced officially licensed toys?

And how much are you willing to invest in for something labeled"Captain United States" that's mostly the same, and only possibly poisonous?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a long marathon and get ready for some forgettable ass movies, OP. Not to detract your experience. Just thinking back on having to watch Iron Man 2/3, the first two Thor's and AoU...yawn.

Paper Wario

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
It's a long marathon and get ready for some forgettable ass movies, OP. Not to detract your experience. Just thinking back on having to watch Iron Man 2/3, the first two Thor's and AoE...yawn.
I'll admit it, I like the first Thor more than the first two Avengers movies

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Having gone through them last year with my gf who had never watched them all and wanted to... just stick to release order. Though you can skip a few.

Main thing to be aware of is that some will bore your kids more than they would if you were to watch them individually over a longer time period. Theres a lot of samey elements that blur together when marathoning them. Obviously everyone always says the humour but there's other samey elements that can really drag watching multiple in a row.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Watching in release order works one of two ways. 1) If you actually care about the story, it continues to build from the beginning. 2) The first movies in the MCU tend to be the worst, so it's possible your kids will get bored, and want to give up the whole thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is 4 going on 5 years old too young? I'm not concerned about the violence (my son loves Star Wars) but I'm concerned that there are such large swaths of these movies, especially early ones, where nothing happens to entertain someone of that age. Like for example, he loves his Thor little golden books, but if I recall correctly a huge chunk of the first movie is him wandering around the desert not doing anything.

nah. My four year old watched GOTG in the theaters

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Kids are weird. Don't be surprised if they lose interest in half of the movies 10 minutes in. Stick with what you think they like. For example, my nephew only watches the films that have iron man in them. My daughters love wandavision, guardians of the galaxy and Thor. Everything else does not interest them and the connection of the movies means nothing to them.

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
As a kid I remember anything other than a release order would bug me. Keep it simple. If a movie got bumped up but has better CG/direction/etc. than earlier entries and they have to juggle those, they might not dig it?

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
I'm a fan of going in order by timeline. It makes it a lot easier to follow for people who are watching for the first time.