• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
With the announcement of God Eater 3, i'm reminded of my love hate relationship with the series. God Eater is one of those games that i really want to like but just can't. I played with all the ones that were release in the west and could not be bother to finish any of them.

First let me talk about the things that i like. I like the post apocalyptic setting, i like the design of the aragami's (the monsters) i like soundtrack and some of the character design is fantastic.

Now on to the many problems that i have with this series. First there's the combat. It just does not feel great. My main issue with it is that there's a serious lack of move sets for all 6 weapon types. The combat feels repetitive and tedious as a result and in a game that's all about fighting giant monsters, that's a problem. There's also this lack of impact when hitting monsters. Then there's the story and characters which are pretty boring for the most part. I appreciate the attempt at telling a more complex story than just "You're a hunter. Now go hunt shit" but i feel like it just doesn't work well for a monster hunting game. For example, one of the main characters in the second game ends up dying and i could not have cared less.

But by far the biggest problem that i have with this series is the huge amount of padding. You have to complete story missions in order to progress trough the games and these missions will have you hunt the same aragami's over and over again. This problem is futher worsen by the fact that there's little aragami variety. Imagine if Monster Hunter World had half the monsters and you HAD to hunt the same ones over and over again not to grind for parts, but simply progress trought the game. That's basically how God Eater is like.

What's both funny and infuriating about all this is that i know that the devs can make a great monster hunting game because they made Freedom Wars which is fucking awesome. It's by far the best alternative to Monster Hunter and i really wish that God Eater would be just as good.

Deleted member 6436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the common perception of the other games? I have both others on my backlog but if they aren't good then I might consider just skipping them.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I tried several times to get into the series and each time I was turned off by the lack of weight to the weapons and no feeling of impact to your attacks.
It's the same feeling as hitting things in an MMO.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It tried to capitalize on what the time was lacking in monster hunter; speed and story. But the combat ultimately lacks depth and is unsatisfying which is fatal when you have to farm parts.

I feel you OP, I wanted to like it too

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
With the announcement of God Eater 3, i'm reminded of my love hate relationship with the series. God Eater is one of those games that i really want to like but just can't. I played with all the ones that were release in the west and could not be bother to finish any of them...

but aren't there only 2?...

never really tried them, myself :) ...

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got the PS4 remaster but only beat the first game. I tried to speed through my playthrough as quick as possible but the lack of enemy variety made the experience so incredibly boring. Attacks have no weight behind them, enemies rarely ever react to being attacked, and it makes combat feel really mashy. Bullet customization is needlessly obtuse.

I haven't touched the sequel but it sounds like it didn't really make any worthwhile improvements. I thought the soundtrack for the first was one of the worst I've ever heard in a game.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'll tell you one thing I didn't like when playing GE2 Burst.

The ridiculously long story campaign with filter missions after every 1min of story scene. They are relatively short missions but it disrupt the pacing the story by a lot.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those were always basura and it's good that people can finally stop pretending.

And yes, totally agreed on the Freedom Wars part as well.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Only played the first one on PS4 in coop with my girlfriend and we had good fun for 100+ hours. It sure has some jank and the psp roots are obvious. Very excited for the upcoming game and the improvements.

We still plan to play the second game soon. How much is it improved from the first game?

Burger Time

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy the combat much more in God Eater than in Monster Hunter World (only one I've played.) I guess it's because I prefer action games in general even if the GE combat is a bit hindered by starting out on handhelds.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
For me, Freedom Wars was a nightmare of complicated controls + camera that fought me constantly, coupled with difficulty that forced you to find other people to play with. I just couldn't get into it and I was super bummed because I loved the premise and the general concept of the game. It reminds me how I wish MH and GE games would ditch the "mission" style in favor of something more akin to an open or semi-open world structure like Toukiden 2 or hell, even further and toward the spectrum of Horizon Zero Dawn. The difficulties and the sloppy controls etc would be a little more tolerable that way.

OR.... they could just improve the controls and as others said above, work on making the combat *feel* good. I'm a good but into the first GE remaster on PS4 and haven't started the second, but I'm still keeping an eye on GE3 to see if they actually put forth any effort to make some needed improvements.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I tried this when I thought MH was never going to console again and I agree. I bounced off it. Just feels wrong. Hated it~ lol.

I like Toukiden 1, didn't like 2. I like Freedom Wars. That game would probably be great on console.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, God Eater is always going to be a B experience relative to MonHun. I don't feel like they ever tried to make it more than that. It's anime drama and absurdly over the top anime power ups in an easy and cheap to digest package inspired by the bigger hunting game.

The weight (and speed) in combat always reminded me of Kingdom Hearts, and the systems implemented in 2 and its expansions, that have absolutely zero compromise in trying to be balanced or deep in any way, but are cool looking, crazy a DRAMATIC also reminds me of KH.

I feel like that's fine as far the franchise goes, it's still a better action game than the average modern action game, to me, thanks to the combat focus and cool monsters (though there are very few monsters with interesting movesets, IMO) and offers a unique experience, fusing the hunting template with over the topness, speedy stuff.

It has that "six or seven out of ten but with some really cool stuff that I want to go back to every now and then" taste that was common in previous generations.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God Eater's honestly the only hunting series I've ever enjoyed. Can't stand MonHun.

Oct 27, 2017
I got them on Steam and played the first one and thought it was okay. It was pretty boring to be honest, and the combat was wildly unsatisfying.

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
God eater 1 was my first hunting game. Killing the same few monsters over and over again bored me
I dropped it after 3 or 4 hours. Ive never tried monster hunter would it be worth a try?

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Technically speaking, there are more than two:
God Eater
God Eater Burst
God Eater 2 Rage Burst
God Eater Resurrection

okay: from the wiki:

god eater: first game in the franchise
god eater burst: expanded version of god eater
god eater 2: sequel (japan only)
god eater 2 rage burst: revamped version of god eater 2
god eater resurrection: remake of god eater burst

so: basically 2 games, one first expanded, & then also remade, & the other revamped. 5 titles derived from 2 games. now that's how you recycle :) ...

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I tried this when I thought MH was never going to console again and I agree. I bounced off it. Just feels wrong. Hated it~ lol.

I like Toukiden 1, didn't like 2. I like Freedom Wars. That game would probably be great on console.

This is what I felt as well, though I have not gone quite far with Freedom Wars. Still trying to determine why Toukiden Kiwami stuck with me but not 2, but I think the open world is detrimental as I only played on the Vita for these titles.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Personally as much as I'm enjoying Monster Hunter World my general opinion is that I enjoy God Eater more . One of the many things I like is that you have a party at all times which can be a big help when your struggling against a specific monster and you don't really have anyone that you can count on to play with.

I'd agree that there are some issues with God Eater that I'm hoping will be addressed in 3, weapon impact for one and Aragami variety. However, the thing that I don't want is for them to make it more like Monster Hunter. I like that the combat is more arcadey and flashy, basically more anime.

That being said I like Toukiden 1 and 2 more then both Monster Hunter and God Eater.

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoy God Eater because of it's simplicity and easiness. I can relax and play without stressing out or trying too hard. When I want a challenge I go to some other game. God Eater lets me "switch off" a bit mentally. It's like playing a game on easy but there are no difficulty settings in GE

Story is trash though, especially in 2.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I've tried to get into Monster Hunter. Even after 50+ hours with the series, I still can't connect.

Really enjoyed God Eater 2 though. I'd probably still be playing it if I wasn't already playing through 2-3 games every week.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't necessarily agree with all of your points, but lack of Aragami variety and repetitive missions, yeah those are issues I hope 3 fixes.

Monster Hunter is great at constantly adding new monsters, and the fact that after two games, two rereleases of said games, and a remake, God Eater is still reusing the majority of the same aragami over and over again is kind of tragic. Even worse when you realize God Eater has a great art direction and you want to see more come out of it rather than then same style constantly getting recycled.

As for the mission pacing, yeah, it's bad and repetitive, BUT at least that has been addressed with each new entry. Still remember in Burst where I would have to complete five difficult missions to get a little bit of story, that was awful.

Honestly, if Monster Hunter World had like, actual characters and story, it would be the perfect hunting game. I mean they do but the development behind them is so paper thin it's almost non existent. Toukiden definitely wins in the story and character departments for hunting games.

Oct 25, 2017
Burst progression is the worst.

- Urgent quest is against the new aragami, X
- New rank, 2 quests to fight X again
- another one against X and X variant
- another 2 with X and an aragami from the earlier rank

Holy shit.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
The only hunting game that had a story worth a damn is Soul Sacrifice in my opinion. The stories in there are dark, grim and at times down right harrowing. Freedom War's story makes little to no sense and is filled with anime tropes. Toukiden's isn't awful but suffers much the same and GE's is anime and poorly paced all the way through.

Toukiden definitely wins in the story and character departments for hunting games.
I'd definitely rate them second. While they have characters and stories the actual characterization and plot are fairly think. Majority of them have similar motivations and really aren't that interesting. Granted I haven't played Toukiden 2 beyond the demo but it really seemed to be more or less the same style as Toukiden and if that is the case then I feel that even just counting Aegrus alone, he is far more interesting than the other characters.

One of my main annoyances with the games is actually beyond combat and whether or not it clicks I'd like to have some side activities that aren't completely trash. Monster Hunter had gathering, mining, bug catching, fishing, egg quests etc none of which are exactly award winning, compelling gameplay but there is at least variety there. Looking at some of the others they opted for some really cheap feeling alternatives. Rather than noticeable gathering/collecting points we have "shinies" on the ground. The detective vision to is used to find additional items or enemies or points of interests or enemy weak spots rather than visual/audio cues. Even something as dumb as collecting Poogie costumes in MH4U was very much an enjoyable bonus to me, seeing Poogie stuck in odd places or in peril and awaiting rescue wasn't really compelling but it was a nice little added touch.

Freedom Wars did some interesting things with the rescue and abduction stuff. Fighting humans were pretty bad and the combat in general felt awfully balanced (weapon type wise in particular) but it still has a lot of unique features going for it that held it up again despite many annoyances I experienced.

I am particularly disappointed with GE series for being a longer series than most of the others but failing to deliver at least some QoL improvements. Trying to find out where to get that one item you need for an upgrade without consulting a guide can be a nightmare. Tones of repetitive missions you need to play to progress story when really you should be able to push the story in blocks and detour for upgrades. Bullet customisation remains one of its most unique features and I still think it could stand to be a bit more interesting or easier to use the bullet editor or set element of bullet to a switch with a cool down so you don't have to carry as many bullets or set as many loadouts. So many little steps that simply become tedious. Combat is definitely what holds GE together for me but even so the pacing and lack of difficulty at the beginning makes it difficult to enjoy the game in full.

I can give some thoughts on Toukiden 1, Freedom Wars, GE2RB, MH 2/Unite/3U/4U, MHW, Soul Sacrifice Delta if any one is interested in something particular.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
The only hunting game that had a story worth a damn is Soul Sacrifice in my opinion. The stories in there are dark, grim and at times down right harrowing. Freedom War's story makes little to no sense and is filled with anime tropes. Toukiden's isn't awful but suffers much the same and GE's is anime and poorly paced all the way through.

I'd definitely rate them second. While they have characters and stories the actual characterization and plot are fairly think. Majority of them have similar motivations and really aren't that interesting. Granted I haven't played Toukiden 2 beyond the demo but it really seemed to be more or less the same style as Toukiden and if that is the case then I feel that even just counting Aegrus alone, he is far more interesting than the other characters.

One of my main annoyances with the games is actually beyond combat and whether or not it clicks I'd like to have some side activities that aren't completely trash. Monster Hunter had gathering, mining, bug catching, fishing, egg quests etc none of which are exactly award winning, compelling gameplay but there is at least variety there. Looking at some of the others they opted for some really cheap feeling alternatives. Rather than noticeable gathering/collecting points we have "shinies" on the ground. The detective vision to is used to find additional items or enemies or points of interests or enemy weak spots rather than visual/audio cues. Even something as dumb as collecting Poogie costumes in MH4U was very much an enjoyable bonus to me, seeing Poogie stuck in odd places or in peril and awaiting rescue wasn't really compelling but it was a nice little added touch.

Freedom Wars did some interesting things with the rescue and abduction stuff. Fighting humans were pretty bad and the combat in general felt awfully balanced (weapon type wise in particular) but it still has a lot of unique features going for it that held it up again despite many annoyances I experienced.

I am particularly disappointed with GE series for being a longer series than most of the others but failing to deliver at least some QoL improvements. Trying to find out where to get that one item you need for an upgrade without consulting a guide can be a nightmare. Tones of repetitive missions you need to play to progress story when really you should be able to push the story in blocks and detour for upgrades. Bullet customisation remains one of its most unique features and I still think it could stand to be a bit more interesting or easier to use the bullet editor or set element of bullet to a switch with a cool down so you don't have to carry as many bullets or set as many loadouts. So many little steps that simply become tedious. Combat is definitely what holds GE together for me but even so the pacing and lack of difficulty at the beginning makes it difficult to enjoy the game in full.

I can give some thoughts on Toukiden 1, Freedom Wars, GE2RB, MH 2/Unite/3U/4U, MHW, Soul Sacrifice Delta if any one is interested in something particular.

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but this is the most informative post on MH-likes I've seen around here. I've been digging up God Eater 3 posts/threads because I'm finding so little chatter about the game it's crazy.

As someone who has put some times into God Easter Resurrection, but not God Eater 2, I'm wondering if GE3 is improved enough to give it a go. I've played the PS4 demo and now the Switch demo and both have left me a little cold. The combat just lacks feel to me and the sparkling shiny locations for materials/pickups is awfully lazy, but I keep coming back to the demo and giving it another go. I have no idea why. It all feels super mediocre.

The thing is I feel like the demo does a terrible job of introducing you to the real appeal of the game, which would be customization. I know there are numerous systems in the game, but the demos don't really allow me to interact with them much. At least in the sense that I don't feel like I'm gaining any progression, which is the main attraction to a monster hunting game.

I'm curious if you happened to pick up GE3 and have any further impressions. Your take on the MH genre mirrors my own, though my experience with the GE series is lacking compared to yours. Soul Sacrifice is probably my favorite of all the MH games, in large part due to the story, and while I expect GE3's story to be pointless drivel, I can't shake this interest I have.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had the chance to play GE3, but the some of the new mechanics are exactly what I wanted them to do after GE2. Like, it's such an improvement over the bloated mess that are having plugin equipments, multiple levels of special attacks just to promote grind and not really diversify gameplay, etc

Hopefully they also addressed the super weirdly paced equipment progression too, but that I can't speak about.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but this is the most informative post on MH-likes I've seen around here. I've been digging up God Eater 3 posts/threads because I'm finding so little chatter about the game it's crazy.

As someone who has put some times into God Easter Resurrection, but not God Eater 2, I'm wondering if GE3 is improved enough to give it a go. I've played the PS4 demo and now the Switch demo and both have left me a little cold. The combat just lacks feel to me and the sparkling shiny locations for materials/pickups is awfully lazy, but I keep coming back to the demo and giving it another go. I have no idea why. It all feels super mediocre.

The thing is I feel like the demo does a terrible job of introducing you to the real appeal of the game, which would be customization. I know there are numerous systems in the game, but the demos don't really allow me to interact with them much. At least in the sense that I don't feel like I'm gaining any progression, which is the main attraction to a monster hunting game.

I'm curious if you happened to pick up GE3 and have any further impressions. Your take on the MH genre mirrors my own, though my experience with the GE series is lacking compared to yours. Soul Sacrifice is probably my favorite of all the MH games, in large part due to the story, and while I expect GE3's story to be pointless drivel, I can't shake this interest I have.

I didn't end up getting GE3. As curious as I am to try it I haven't finished neither GE1 not 2 at this point. The end game grind is generally the meat of the games and unfortunately I grew a bit bored of it too quickly or in GE1's case I simply couldn't stomach the slow pacing to the end a second time (I first played on PSP years ago).

At this point I have too much else on my plate and have read too much of the same "if you like GE2 then expect some more of that with minor a bit of additions" opinions on GE3. I legit do not see a time where I might be willing to give GE3 the benefit of the doubt that it is worth my time over Toukiden 2 which I have still yet to get (I still want to play with that claw thing). Now with Iceborne looming I doubt I'll get to T2 either.

For discussion, I'm happy to chat about hunting games. I was part of the God Eater discord for a while until I realise I likely won't get to it. We did have GE channels in MH discord era as well though it maybe replaced as it dropped in popularity. You might find some others who are more insightful about GE3 though.

Regarding the comment about coming back despite not loving the combat. This is something I've found in a variety of games. I think the above average ceiling for skilled gameplay with a variety of difficulty can be enjoyable to just play and have some fun. I consider musou games to be similar, sometimes you just want to blitz around the map and be awesome in an anime superhero type style. Currently I have Attack on Titan 2 doing exactly this. Combat is not the most compelling, it is simple (ignoring the crazy jump cancel stuff lol) and zipping through the air at high speeds slaughtering titans is oddly therapeutic. It is pleasantly enjoyable as a bit of a wind down gaming session at the end of the day as I need to pay just the right amount of attention for my liking and there is still higher difficulty missions if I wanted to tackle that.

Regarding hunting game demos... I feel most done give a good feel of what end game grinding or progression will be. Part of the fun is not only mastering the combat but crafting gear and skills to increase efficiencies. A demo is hard to convey the latter stuff. For MH veterans can sort of jump into a quest and get a feel of the combat. I imagine a lot of newer players will feel like being thrown out to the velociprey.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about GE combat being just blitz around in higher difficulties. Fighting 3 different monsters with the absurd speed they get in end game is almost dumb in how fast you have to react and how little is the pool of attacks you can pull off safely; at least in GEB and GE2.

Edit-
Hah, in a sense you have to blitz around, but not because it's easy.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Played it for the first time on the switch (demo) and it was kind of awful

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I don't know about GE combat being just blitz around in higher difficulties. Fighting 3 different monsters with the absurd speed they get in end game is almost dumb in how fast you have to react and how little is the pool of attacks you can pull off safely; at least in GEB and GE2.

Edit-
Hah, in a sense you have to blitz around, but not because it's easy.

Yes certainly. But even vs easy monsters I'm dashing around with slash cancels. I guess I wasn't very clear. I didn't mean to say the game is easy or not challenging or anything like that but more that the missions have a familiar rhythm to them and for the most part the objectives are clear and precise. Other genres might have deliveries, collections, story scenes and other interruptions. In hunting game genres these are mostly absent except for quests that specifically target these, which are mostly rare. The game doesn't throw many sudden new objectives at you. Rarely do you go into a quest without knowing what to expect. At end game there is little to no story or cutscenes remaining it is just you and your monster. If you have secondary objectives like breaking parts those are also often familiar. So zipping around is pretty much how I played GE games, I wasn't always about efficiency or difficulty but just playing the game and doing what might be considered busy work but also familiar and with a decent loot/reward system enjoyable. There are certainly missions where I have to pay attention. I can bet money that missions I cleared back in the day would be impossible for me right now as I lack the familiarity but with familiarity, my casual blitzing around was fun and kept me coming back.

Edit. Interestingly enough, I knocked GE, Toukiden and others for some of the uninspiring designs such as shinies for collectables and mostly flat stages. However over 100 hours of MHW I feel now that it is a matter of balance. Older monster hunters I often felt it was a thrilling showdown with the monster and in a way this remains true for MHW but creating a more believable world the maps in MHW sometimes get in the way for me. A lot of distractions around the map, especially now that it is without loading zones and having so many interactable items on field. Tracks, pod drops, wedge Beatles, plants, shrooms, minerals, critters, etc. All of these add up to make the game visually impressive yet also a bit tiring after so many hours. I still like the game a lot but I do miss the plain, more arena like zones of the older games at times. Some of the old showdown fights are extremely memorable but with world I find my memory of my favourite encounters to be a bit fuzzy with the exception of the elder dragons since the map empties of other monsters when those quests are active.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just Platinumed God Eater: Resurrection like a month ago.😊 I like the series tho not necessarily the grind in it. Going to work my way up to God Eater 3. Next up is God Eater 2: Rage Burst but it will be a minute before I start. Saying this, these games aren't my first time playing this series, I started from the original and played God Eater 2 already. Its just im going thru again with Resurrection and GE2RB to play these version, get the platinum and finally get to God Eater 3.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't end up getting GE3. As curious as I am to try it I haven't finished neither GE1 not 2 at this point. The end game grind is generally the meat of the games and unfortunately I grew a bit bored of it too quickly or in GE1's case I simply couldn't stomach the slow pacing to the end a second time (I first played on PSP years ago).

At this point I have too much else on my plate and have read too much of the same "if you like GE2 then expect some more of that with minor a bit of additions" opinions on GE3. I legit do not see a time where I might be willing to give GE3 the benefit of the doubt that it is worth my time over Toukiden 2 which I have still yet to get (I still want to play with that claw thing). Now with Iceborne looming I doubt I'll get to T2 either.

For discussion, I'm happy to chat about hunting games. I was part of the God Eater discord for a while until I realise I likely won't get to it. We did have GE channels in MH discord era as well though it maybe replaced as it dropped in popularity. You might find some others who are more insightful about GE3 though.

Regarding the comment about coming back despite not loving the combat. This is something I've found in a variety of games. I think the above average ceiling for skilled gameplay with a variety of difficulty can be enjoyable to just play and have some fun. I consider musou games to be similar, sometimes you just want to blitz around the map and be awesome in an anime superhero type style. Currently I have Attack on Titan 2 doing exactly this. Combat is not the most compelling, it is simple (ignoring the crazy jump cancel stuff lol) and zipping through the air at high speeds slaughtering titans is oddly therapeutic. It is pleasantly enjoyable as a bit of a wind down gaming session at the end of the day as I need to pay just the right amount of attention for my liking and there is still higher difficulty missions if I wanted to tackle that.

Regarding hunting game demos... I feel most done give a good feel of what end game grinding or progression will be. Part of the fun is not only mastering the combat but crafting gear and skills to increase efficiencies. A demo is hard to convey the latter stuff. For MH veterans can sort of jump into a quest and get a feel of the combat. I imagine a lot of newer players will feel like being thrown out to the velociprey.
I appreciate the reply.

It didn't even occur to me that the GE3 demo would have the same pitfalls that a MH demo does, but I guess it makes sense seeing just how much GE takes from MH. ;)

Perhaps that's my issue overall. As much as I don't care for some aspects of MH, it's the leader, the innovator, while everything else is a facsimile. Yes, with their own wrinkles, but a copy nonetheless. My point is the energy is coming from MH, not the other titles.

BTW, because of your mentioning Attack of Titan 2 I downloaded the demo and really enjoyed it. Say what you will about the musou genre in general, but Omega Force are good at what they do and the feel of playing this game was substantially better than GE3.

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps that's my issue overall. As much as I don't care for some aspects of MH, it's the leader, the innovator, while everything else is a facsimile. Yes, with their own wrinkles, but a copy nonetheless. My point is the energy is coming from MH, not the other titles.
To be fair, I still like GE even as a MH fanboy because it does interesting things that I would not want to see MH doing - and you are not going to get from a demo, like the focus on character stories NPC AI - both the customization you can apply to it and how it ties into their characterization. Or just how straight up anime/comic book superpowers the arts can make you feel, or how juggling bursts and bullets incentivizes coop (even when playing solo) in an almost MMOish way when MH is more on the action side.

In a more deep level/combat design perspective, there's some monsters that I really like and try different approaches on how to create variety and giant monster CQC against humans. Would love to have Marduk or Caligula in MH.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
To be fair, I still like GE even as a MH fanboy because it does interesting things that I would not want to see MH doing - and you are not going to get from a demo, like the focus on character stories NPC AI - both the customization you can apply to it and how it ties into their characterization. Or just how straight up anime/comic book superpowers the arts can make you feel, or how juggling bursts and bullets incentivizes coop (even when playing solo) in an almost MMOish way when MH is more on the action side.

In a more deep level/combat design perspective, there's some monsters that I really like and try different approaches on how to create variety and giant monster CQC against humans. Would love to have Marduk or Caligula in MH.

It almost feels unfair to compare honestly. I would say MH is much more mature and has Capcom's finance backing it to make sure that it is at least feel more polished to me than others. I certainly really like the other games both in what they bring forth new and what they try to differ in. It is hard to pick a Dev years of experience with games like Street Fighter and Devil May Cry with most other Devs.

Overall I still believe Soul Sacrifice' systems have the most to offer with sneaky combinations of offerings and even status effect combos for multiplayer. The save/sacrifice system itself is super interesting and this doesn't even go into the characters or ai. I can only dream of the outcome if these other series had the same success and time to mature as MH has.

Some of the crossover quests in SS were also some of my favourites.

BTW, because of your mentioning Attack of Titan 2 I downloaded the demo and really enjoyed it. Say what you will about the musou genre in general, but Omega Force are good at what they do and the feel of playing this game was substantially better than GE3.

I think MH took a lot from other games as well, particularly their successes and innovative aspects, they take inspiration and spin it in their way.

One aspect of GE I really like is the switching between gun and blade. I see this swapping of playstyle a little with the SA and CB. Taking a bite from the monsters to power up and gain ammo is another aspect I found interesting and the IG feels mildly similar. Right down to the dust being detonatable by allies and can have different effects (like custom bullets, sort of). The thorn from Freedom Wars adds huge movement advantage and some small strategic elements against the monsters. Slingers sort of take their own spin here but is limited to wedge Beatles. I would argue the thorn is one of the most innovative addition into the genre and even the demon claw in Toukiden 2 feels like it is inspired from it.

As for AoT2 I'm glad you like it. It is one of the most unique musou games. There isn't much else like it and while most stages revolve around zipping around slicing up Titans it feels very satisfying. The unique character perspective is also interesting and gives it a different spin than the anime. A shame this part doesn't carry on to the season 3 expansion content. I haven't got that far myself but the base game is quite fun and enjoyable.

Oct 25, 2017
It almost feels unfair to compare honestly. I would say MH is much more mature and has Capcom's finance backing it to make sure that it is at least feel more polished to me than others. I certainly really like the other games both in what they bring forth new and what they try to differ in. It is hard to pick a Dev years of experience with games like Street Fighter and Devil May Cry with most other Devs.
For sure. Though the B-ness of the experience is part of the joy for me, as is seeing the progress. GEB to GE2 had some clear improvements but also some dumb crap, same for GE2RB. I for sure am looking forward to seeing what GER (that I own but not yet played) and eventually GE3 showcase their team's evolving design.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I remember beating it on the PSP years ago, but it was too much to go through again on the HD version. God Eater 2 I gave up on because the audio quality was so horrible on the PS4.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
For sure. Though the B-ness of the experience is part of the joy for me, as is seeing the progress. GEB to GE2 had some clear improvements but also some dumb crap, same for GE2RB. I for sure am looking forward to seeing what GER (that I own but not yet played) and eventually GE3 showcase their team's evolving design.
I like playing them, trying new features, following improvements etc as well. My issue is that GE series in particular didn't feel like it addressed a lot of my main concerns particularly the early game balance/curve. No other hunting game series has a progression where I can pick just about any weapon and snore through combat so easily. Even Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars picks up faster.

A really interesting B grade not sure if in genre hunting game is Lost Planet. Can't speak for LP3 but the game was pretty interesting. It has fun little grappling hook that I always wished went into MH as well. LP felt like it took some inspiration from Gears of War, it is a 3rd person shooter and you fight monsters ranging from small spider like enemies to huge MH Lao Shan Lung types. You went around setting up recharge stations and have some mechs you you can mess around with. It makes me wonder what might be if Capcom took some of the newer RE mechanics into the series.

I imagine Dragon's Dogma's pawn system might also one day see a variation for AI allies in MH.

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to try LP but every time there's a sale on Steam and remember I'll have to deal with GFWL and I decide to post pone it heh.
Still think it's a shame we never got EX Troopers outside of Japan.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Dragon's Dogma's pawn system might also one day see a variation for AI allies in MH.
I was under the impression that the Palicos from others' player cards that occasionally show up in the field in MHW were already this, but I've never paid much attention to Dragon's Dogma beyond a superficial level.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I was under the impression that the Palicos from others' player cards that occasionally show up in the field in MHW were already this, but I've never paid much attention to Dragon's Dogma beyond a superficial level.

Possibly but I don't think this feature is entirely new either. In Soul Sacrifice you can summon another player's character as an ally and it is updated via player card. I can't remember if Toukiden, GE or FW had this or not.

Palicoes are great and has been expanding off the side kick ally for single player MH has for some time now. I don't think it compares well or directly to pawns or ai allies. One of the primary differences is that in other games the player can be downed and revived by allies but in MH you simply faint. AI in some of the other games can easily handle small and some large enemies on their own. They provide support such as healing (GE healer AI is legit bullshit and a better shot with healing bullets than players most of the time). Palicoes are fantastic, charming allies that can be set up for various roles but rarely can they take care of several smaller enemies on their own let alone the occasional bigger ones.

DD and MH definitely share and bounced ideas and mechanics off each other. DD started the climb on monster thing and eventually we saw monster mounting in MH. DD also had the warrior class which has a skill that is essentially the GS's charge attack. I imagine the Ur Dragon to be relevant experience drawn on when developing MHW's golden elder dragon which I can't recall the name of. I remember a lot of theories on what would be added to MH4 from DD and MH Generations was thought to be taking inspiration from DD and DMCs.

Oct 25, 2017
GE healing NPCs are also effective because GE has a grace period where you can be healed after getting 0 HP, kinda like how Earthbound does rolling numbers. It's crazy the kinda bullshit I pull off in terms of facetanking parts of content just because I armed my gun AI partners with healing bombs and lasers lol

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
GE healing NPCs are also effective because GE has a grace period where you can be healed after getting 0 HP, kinda like how Earthbound does rolling numbers. It's crazy the kinda bullshit I pull off in terms of facetanking parts of content just because I armed my gun AI partners with healing bombs and lasers lol

Yeah, the AI in Toukiden also ninja dodge like crazy trying to walk in and res you. SSD as well (I seem to recall reading the AI in SS was awful but op in Delta).
Meanwhile my little Palico is cute as hell but whiffs vigor wasps pretty frequently which I'm not even mad about to be honest. Trying to adjust to get it adds a tiny layer for error that I am perfectly ok with.

Pawns in DD is an entire system in itself so it is harder to compare I think. I guess your accessory/robot buddy in Freedom Wars is also interesting in that each player has their own (mostly) permanent AI ally. If AI could thorn res in this game it would have be incredibly broken.