• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
battlefield 2 and ut2k3 on PC. both had fully functional online capabilities

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Tekken 3 from the official UK PS magazine. Came on its own disc and case too.

Tomb Raider 2 demo from the same mag too.

Gho5tstar

Jan 16, 2021
VA
Lost Planet ..Tony Hawk Pro Skater.. Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX .. Tomb Raider 2 demos got the most play from me

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
I used to love playing the Spyro demos hidden behind cheat codes in Crash 3 (Spyro 1), Team Racing (Ripto's Rage), and Bash (Year of the Dragon). Each one gave you a couple different levels to play around in, remember having my mind blown finding out I'd missed an entire Orb challenge in Ripto's Rage. Coolest part was this must've been a partnership between Naughty Dog and Insomniac since Spyro 1, Ripto's Rage, and Year of the Dragon contain a demo for the Crash game which had their respective game's demo in it!

This was referenced in the N. Sane Trilogy by performing the cheat code when selecting Crash: Warped, showing a trailer for the Spyro Reignited trilogy. IIRC it was partially implemented at launch before the Reignited Trilogy was officially confirmed, which was our first hint that the Spyro remakes were coming.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Starsiege: Tribes demo. There were people who solely played this demo and not the full game which was already out. It was such a revolutionary multiplayer game and easy to install on school computers. I spent many hours just playing Raindance map on this.

Starcraft demo. I think it had an unique mini singleplayer campaign. This demo sold me the full game.

UT2003/UT2004 had a good amount of content for a demo.

Myth: The Fallen Lords, Carmageddon 1, and Diablo 1 demos. I played these a lot.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of my friends lost a year in High School because he got addicted to Age of Empires 1, the Demo of Age of Empires 1.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
The Dynasty Warriors 3 demo is one of my favorite demos ever. I'm too tired to do a big write up atm, but it's just a very replayable demo. They let you play around on one of the best maps in the game (the Nanman Campaign, which has all sorts of cool shit, like poison ponds, rainy terrain, elephant mounts etc.) with a small but decently strong set of characters and a modest choice of items that you can experiment with. You can play in a number of ways, just exploring the map and helping allies progress or trying to kill the enemy commander as many times as you can before the time limit runs out (this is especially fun if you play co-op and memorize all the bosses' spawn points. Did I mention the demo has co-op? It totally does)

The best part was figuring out there was a way to actually win before the timer ran out. It's not a secret, but the game absolutely doesn't tell you it's possible (if you play "normally" you'll never get that unlock condition without timing out). Finding this out and finally getting through the demo without seeing that defeat screen (that you would get whether you died or timed out) was one of the most satisfying things as a kid

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Bfbc1 demo, got me not only into FPS but also online multiplayer.
Was incredible,

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Rollcage demo

rollcage-05.jpg

There was this one circuit and I played that just as much as a full game. I got the game like a year later and didn't play it as much, lol
But damn I was a god on that circuit
I loved the colors in that game, it had a nice style

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I think shareware should count and that would place DOOM as the king. I don't think I knew a single person who actually had a full copy of DOOM, everyone just played the shareware version over and over again.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
The Puyo Puyo Tetris demo is one of my most played games on the Switch. You just slam through the menus to get into a perfectly adequate game of Tetris; I've never felt the need to buy the full game :P
Yeah, I've played it as much as I've played most other games purely off of it being 100% playable 2-player, well... Puyo Puyo Tetris. It's way too generous of a demo but hey free Tetris

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vib Ribbon, played it endlessly. Mr Domino too.

Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 had a crazy good demo, left on a cliffhanger that made not buying the full game impossible.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Tony hawk pro skater 2 takes the cake for me. It included the fucking level editor, dude
Followed by unreal tournament 99 which I played pretty much non stop until I was able to afford the game
Then I remember playing a shitload of sled storm because it had dragula and I loved that song as a kid lol

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
I got a lot of mileage out of demos in the early 360 years. I got who knows how many hours out of playing/replaying the demos for Just Cause 1, Battlefield 2, Lost Planet, Tony Hawk Project 8, and Shadowrun.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Way back in the day I played the Katamari Demo on Xbox 360 all the time. It was so fun.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Not only it's still my all-time favorite racing game the demo also got me into online racing. Back in the day, I was only playing FPS games online GRID's demo had multiplayer and it was a blast.

hero_grid_2008-2.jpg

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm certain the popularity and longevity of that demo is the sole reason Wake Island itself continues to pop up in Battlefield games to this day. It was so damn good.
I agree - I remember when they released BF1943 and I immediately thought "welp, time to sink another jillion hours into this one map."

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
the Demo for Lost Planet 2.
coop, could try the great mechanics, voice chat on ps3, it was so amazing and replayable.

Same could be said for the demo of Resident Evil 5, must have played that one 40-50 times.

And obligatory, demo for Dragon Quest XI that lets you try a nice portion of the game.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
back when it was called shareware you got tons of free content.
Duke3d was like a third of the final game
GTA1, too, i played the finale game maybe 10% of the time I played the demo

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
the Demo for Lost Planet 2.
coop, could try the great mechanics, voice chat on ps3, it was so amazing and replayable.

Same could be said for the demo of Resident Evil 5, must have played that one 40-50 times.

And obligatory, demo for Dragon Quest XI that lets you try a nice portion of the game.

I used to play that Lost Planet 1 demo every morning with my cousin. Didn't stick with 2 for whatever reason

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
crackdown first demos was amazing

Unreal tournament 2004 or whatver year it was had basically unlimited value as a demo

mecaguendeu

Oct 16, 2019
PS1's Demo 1, when I was a kid. I played it for weeks and, meanwhile, I was renting games from a videoclub on the weekends. In the demo I played Tekken 2, Battle Arena Toshinden 2, Adidas Power Soccer, WipEout 2097, Destruction Derby 2, Crash Bandicoot, Actua Golf, Monster Trucks, Ridge Racer Revolution, Die Hard Trilogy...

Tekken, Toshinden and Die Hard hitted me hard. I was so impressed with these games... Specialy with Die Hard and those screams when people burned.

And that trailer from Broken Sword... My god, I watched it thousands times until my brother finally bought me the game and the sequel.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Sports and racer demos have great replayability. Most recent one: Super mega baseball 3 which had a fully functional free online component (to juice up their online matchmaking)

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
As a teen GTA1; I just messed around driving around and pissing about.

Also Rush 2049 on the Dreamcast; the Disco map and stunt mode, 20 minutes 4 players trying to get the best score (Random driving fast at ramps and spinning and hoping you land 1 in 100 times); we all loved that. A mate then bought the full game and we continued just playing the same map with the same rules.

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
I had a demo disc from an xbox magazine I used to buy quite regularly. It was playable on the original xbox and had a halo combat evolved demo (the silent cartographer level) and a splinter cell demo (the police station level) among others. I was a kid and it blew my goddamn mind at the time.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Bioshock's demo convinced me to buy the game immediately.

Shadow of the Colossus's demo was a great encapsulation of the the full game's sense of loneliness and desolation. I loved climbing up to the secret garden in the castle.

Bayonetta's demo is so good because it lets you play through the entirety of the first level, which happens to be one of the most fun and reachable levels in the game. I find it to be a perfect bite-sized portion with just the right amount of variety in the traversal and encounters. I replayed it often.

Devil May Cry 5's demo is similar to the above. You get a super fun and well paced level to play through, complete with a simple but enjoyable boss fight at the end.

Does Ground Zeroes count? if so then that, I've spent +70 hours between PS4 and PC :p
If it does, it's almost impossible to top.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
The demos for Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction on PS2 and Just Cause 2 on PS3 were so good that I never purchased the games.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
SKATE.

it was a 30minute demo where you had to do a tutorial first and then you had the rest of the time to mess around in free skate. After a few tries you can do those tutorials real fast and have 20+ minutes of free skate.

I put SO much time into that demo