• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
You know what I'm talking about, the game that came, rocked our world and disappeared never to be heard of again.

I was thinking Alan Wake but then American Nightmare happened which is technically the 2nd game in the series.

Bloodborne maybe?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne is a spiritual successor to the Souls series though, idk if I'd count it. For the same reason, I don't think Demon's Souls would count either.

I'd probably pick The Witness

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne shouldn't count; it's basically part of the Souls series and all it's missing is the name.

The World Ends With You. One of the best RPGs of all time, with no continuation or even expanded media. Only ports and minimal remakes.

Ghost Trick. One of the best adventure/puzzle games of all time, with only a mobile port.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne
Celeste
The Witness

Those are the top 3 that spring to mind. I would say Hollow Knight if not for Silksong coming out.

Bloodborne is a spiritual successor to the Souls series though, idk if I'd count it.
It's literally a completely different franchise. Might as well say that Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing are the same series.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne shouldn't count; it's basically part of the Souls series and all it's missing is the name.

The World Ends With You. One of the best RPGs of all time, with no continuation or even expanded media. Only ports and minimal remakes.

Ghost Trick. One of the best adventure/puzzle games of all time, with only a mobile port.

TWEWY is getting a sequel

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Do Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian count as a ''series''?

If not, them for sure.

Also, many indies like Inside, What Remains of Edith Finch, Outer Wilds, Journey and some more

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always mention this classic when this topic comes up: Kenseiden. It's one of the best games of the 8-bit era but most people missed it and it never had any sequels.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus is the only correct answer,could have been The Last of Us.
Bloodborne obviously.
What Remains of Edith Finch is GOAT indie.
Grim Fandango is a good contender.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
Eternal Darkness, Freedom Fighters, and Alpha Protocol immediately come to mind

Bully
Burning Rangers
Black

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Shadow Complex but it's for the best anyways. Hopefully a similar game gets made at some point without the name.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Astro Bot (not sure if it counts)
Bully
Einhander
Gitaroo Man
Vagrant Story
Outer Wilds

those come to mind for me

lightning16

May 17, 2019
There are a billion indie games that would fit this, so I'll go with Skies of Arcadia. Game is beloved and released to very high levels of acclaim, but unfortunately released on two unsuccessful consoles and I don't think it's really been seen since the Gamecube port.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Probably Ghost Trick or Little Samson.

There are a couple titles that I want to pick but are kinda cheating (Elite Beat Agents is sorta like Bloodborne in that it's basically an Ouendan game even if it's not tied to the franchise, and EX Troopers is the opposite where it's a Lost Planet spin-off but basically has nothing to do with those games).

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
There are a billion indie games that would fit this, so I'll go with Skies of Arcadia. Game is beloved and released to very high levels of acclaim, but unfortunately released on two unsuccessful consoles and I don't think it's really been seen since the Gamecube port.
for purposes of this thread, how are we counting character appearances in other games?

for example, vyse and aika showing up in Valkyria Chronicles

lightning16

May 17, 2019
for purposes of this thread, how are we counting character appearances in other games?

for example, vyse and aika showing up in Valkyria Chronicles
I don't think it makes sense to count them. They're cameos. I definitely wouldn't consider Skies of Arcadia to be part of the Valkyria Chronicles series.

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
BQMl.gif

Ristar the Shooting Star. For better or worse, this poor guy never got a chance to shine again.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The non-Dark Souls games that FromSoft made: Sekiro, Bloodborne and debatably Demon's Souls. Sunset Overdrive, The Last Guardian and Shadow of the Colossus are all among my absolute personal favs too.

Do we count evolving games like Minecraft?
Minecraft has Minecraft Dungeons now either way.

Mighty Twig

May 13, 2020
I say Bloodborne counts...or it would but it shouldn't qualify because it's too new. Otherwise we could say Sunset Overdrive. Please Insomniac!

How about...
713nd9wyqDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I liked it.

If in like 5 years there's still no planned Bloodborne 2, then Bloodborne for sure!

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Prey (unrelated to OG Prey)
Ueda's games(SotC, Ico, TLG)
Shadow of Destiny
Eternal Darkness

Wouldn't think Bloodborne counts. There's Patches, the Moonlight blade, and some other loose connective tissue to Souls. Was going to mention Vagrant Story but technically it shares a universe with multiple Final Fantasy games.

Last year had some phenomenal new IPs that just haven't had a chance to receive sequels, so it might be unfair to mention those (Outer Wilds, Control, Sekiro) since they likely will see new entries at some point.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Singularity was a fun shooter that sadly sank Raven as a developer for about 10 years (if the COD4 Remaster counts as them releasing a game!)

Terranigma never got a sequel or a rerelease since the SNES sadly.

There are also a lot of indie games like Super Meat Boy, Braid, Superhot (unless VR is a sequel?) that seemed to be one and done.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Singularity was a fun shooter that sadly sank Raven as a developer for about 10 years (if the COD4 Remaster counts as them releasing a game!)

Terranigma never got a sequel or a rerelease since the SNES sadly.

There are also a lot of indie games like Super Meat Boy, Braid, Superhot (unless VR is a sequel?) that seemed to be one and done.
Super Meat boy was already kind of a sequel to Meat Boy on Newgrounds lol, and there's a new game in development.

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
I'll exclude anything less than 5-ish years old, since I think it's soon to say whether they'll receive sequels or not (ahem, Bloodborne).

Bully
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Grim Fandango
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne.

It's not a Souls game in name, nor setting (Souls is dark fantasy) and it has important mechanical changes as well.