• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I'm not racist, I just believe racist things and shout racist things and is known for being a racist, but I am not racist. No sir.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised by this at all. I live in Vancouver and there's a noticeable anti-Chinese vibe here from a surprising amount of people

Spend five minutes in the Vancouver reddit and see what I mean

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not racist, I just believe racist things and shout racist things and is known for being a racist, but I am not racist. No sir.
Yeah, pretty much. Newsflash whitefolk (I know some here are already aware, but this is to the ignorant fools that do lurk about), if you say racist things, YOU RACIST! END OF STORY!

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Growing up in Canada, i faced a lot of racism, especially in high school. It wasnt widespread though. It was a few shitty ass people. Its pointless to pretend they dont exist, but its also erroneous to suggest its most white Canadians.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Because Canada isn't a fascist state where just saying a slur will get you charged. This woman's a racist cunt but she's not doing enough for it to be a crime.
A fascist state like, if I understand the law correctly, Denmark?
Denmark prohibits hate speech, and defines it as publicly making statements by which a group is threatened (trues), insulted (forhånes) or degraded (nedværdiges) due to race, skin colour, national or ethnic origin, faith or sexual orientation.

Edit:
Anyone who publicly mocks, defames, denigrates or threatens a person or group of persons by comments or expressions of another nature, for example by means of pictures or symbols, for their nationality, colour, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity, or disseminates such materials, shall be fined or imprisoned for up to 2 years.
Iceland, too. I don't think these are fascist states.

Oct 27, 2017
As a Canadian (Albertan no less) I can tell you racism is all over the place here.

I'm shocked whenever there are people surprised by this. This shit is everywhere and Canada is no different.

Anyway, the woman in the video is repulsive and a complete moron.
How many Confederate flags have you seen in rural Alberta?

When me and my sister were little we were on a daytrip to Jasper and our vehicle broke down so my Mom had to head back to Edmonton for a rental. We spent a few hours in Edson and saw no less than half a dozen confederate flags. Felt like the segregated South.

Also, the culture in and around hockey is probably the most uniquely racist Canadian thing. Seems all the racists and bigots congregate to the sport. It's non-stop abuse if you dare not to be white and get into the sport at a young age.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

When me and my sister were little we were on a daytrip to Jasper and our vehicle broke down so my Mom had to head back to Edmonton for a rental. We spent a few hours in Edson and saw no less than half a dozen confederate flags. Felt like the segregated South.

Also, the culture in and around hockey is probably the most uniquely racist Canadian thing. Seems all the racists and bigots congregate to the sport. It's non-stop abuse if you dare not to be white and get into the sport at a young age.

I've seen a few over the years for sure. Pasted on some douchey huge truck usually, but it's not something I see all that often, thankfully.

I'm not super far from Edmonton, myself.

The segregated south thing probably isn't far off. It's pretty bad at times and Alberta suffers from way too many conservative weirdos who are seemingly afraid of everyone not from Alberta and who seem to have ZERO world view beyond this place and it is utterly bizarre and getting worse every day.

I was born and raised here and have never understood it. I feel no real Canadian pride and certainly not any provincial pride. This place is pretty gross on the whole.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I was born and raised here and have never understood it. I feel no real Canadian pride and certainly not any provincial pride. This place is pretty gross on the whole.

As a Not Real Canadian that grew up in Edmonton during the 80s... Oh yeah, I can relate to this. Not being a white kid during the Gretzky era was... interesting.

Nov 2, 2017

My cousin, the son of my aunt who is descended from white people who've been in Canada for hundreds of years that literally fought in the war of 1812 and my aunt's ex, a Syrian immigrant, who grew up in the North West Territories and in urban Ontario, has a confederate tattoo, hates immigrants and muslims (despite his father and half sisters being practicing) especially. He's the exact kind of asshole that drives a lifted pickup with dualies and smokestacks because climate change is fucking bullshit and fuck your hippy bullshit.

He's literally one of the worst people I know and exactly like too many Albertans.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I live in Vancouver.

It's extremely rare I witness anything obviously racist, and nothing ever as bad as this.

Though my mom told me something like this happened to her last year. She was talking long distance to my aunt (in Spanish) and this guy told her to "speak English", "go back home", etc. She said "excuse me?" and when he repeated it she said "fuck off". Good on her. He shut the fuck up after that.

Pieces of shit like this are lucky someone like me doesn't catch them in the act cuz I'd put em in their place so hard it wouldn't even look fair.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Canada is that we've deluded ourselves into thinking we're a progressive utopia, when racism is actually pretty fucking rampant.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
we've deluded ourselves into thinking we're a progressive utopia,

It's self serving bullshit and all a part of Canada's fake, squeaky clean, "we're the good guys", "look how nice we are" image.

Now obviously not everyone's gonna be a saint, but I really dislike the narrative that Canadians are soooooooo nice.

I follow a few Vancouver pages on FB and recently Vancouver won the title "nicest city in the world". Everyone in the comments came to laugh and call bullshit on the result.

The page itself later made another post how everyone here disagreed with that title lol.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): advocating doxxing
Alright internet, you know what to do: Doxx her up and let the ramifications of (social) media commence

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still amazed that someone would call Iceland and Denmark fascist states
I never called any specific countries fascist. Has anyone in those been given a criminal record because of a situation like this where a person says racist things but without a threat of violence? If they have, then that's a pretty extreme law in what would otherwise be great countries.

From what I gather, Canada's hate speech laws require more than just an individual throwing insults to another. There has to be a greater danger to the public.
wiki on Canada's laws said:
Section 319(1) makes it an offence to communicate statements in a public place which incite hatred against an identifiable group, where it is likely to lead to a breach of the peace.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I never called any specific countries fascist. Has anyone in those been given a criminal record because of a situation like this where a person says racist things but without a threat of violence? If they have, then that's a pretty extreme law in what would otherwise be great countries.
What's extreme about it?
Like, take Iceland:
Anyone who publicly mocks, defames, denigrates or threatens a person or group of persons by comments or expressions of another nature, for example by means of pictures or symbols, for their nationality, colour, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity, or disseminates such materials, shall be fined or imprisoned for up to 2 years.
Why is that extreme? Where's the problem?

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that was followed exactly, then it does look like it could taken to an extreme but I don't know enough about Iceland's legal system to know how far they have enforced that law.

Dave Chappelle publicly mocked groups of people in this recent Netflix special. Multiple people in this thread called the racist woman a cunt. People insult Americans every day on this site. I don't think those things should qualify as crimes and I think most would agree. They aren't direct threats to people's safety and fall under the umbrella of freedom of expression.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Have never met anyone who claims Canada is racism / prejudice free. This point is brought up ad nauseam every time a story like this happens in Canada.

At most people point out differences (or at least used to before alt right corn groups like 'soldiers of odin') with regards to things like histories of slavery and the KKK and stuff. Who do you people know that have been saying "Canada has zero racists"

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Austin Walker went to school in Canada and has talked before about his experiences with severe racism up there. That opened my eyes a few years ago.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love it when those of European descent decide to tell others that they don't belong in NA

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I think of Canada's image of 'being nice/welcoming/etc.' as an ideal, and one that I support holding up as an ideal for the entire country to strive for.

Anybody actually putting forth a generalization of Canadians being nice is either not talking seriously or looked in depth.

There will always be assholes, stupid people, racists, and so on, but the ideal 'nice Canadian' should always be there to help tug people in a better direction.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
If that was followed exactly, then it does look like it could taken to an extreme but I don't know enough about Iceland's legal system to know how far they have enforced that law.
Please, give me a hypothetical. Like, you seem to think a law like this is not good to have, and I want to understand why.

Dave Chappelle publicly mocked groups of people in this recent Netflix special. Multiple people in this thread called the racist woman a cunt. People insult Americans every day on this site. I don't think those things should qualify as crimes and I think most would agree. They aren't direct threats to people's safety and fall under the umbrella of freedom of expression.
First off: the woman clearly wasn't insulted based on her gender. Come on now.
Anyway, basically, it all boils down to "I think it should be allowed to insult people based on race, nationality, religion or gender identity"? I'm not saying you'd do that, I just don't see how that's a right people should necessarily have.
I feel that speech doesn't need to be without limits. I don't mind being legally unable to tell someone he's an n-word, or deny the holocaust, or call a man "woman" because he's transgender. Nothing bad about outlawing this kind of hateful stuff.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Have never met anyone who claims Canada is racism / prejudice free. This point is brought up ad nauseam every time a story like this happens in Canada.

At most people point out differences (or at least used to before alt right corn groups like 'soldiers of odin') with regards to things like histories of slavery and the KKK and stuff. Who do you people know that have been saying "Canada has zero racists"

Nobody is saying that Canada has zero racists. What they say is that "this isn't who we are" and "we aren't like this." When racism is brought up, people downplay its role in our society, and say "at least we're better than the United States," as though that makes incidents of racism OK.

Nov 9, 2017
I think a lot of these so-called non-racist countries have simply suppressed minorities to the point they don't have a voice and we can't hear any of their complaints. Most of these countries are over 90% white and have no black or brown people in real positions of power and/or wealth.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of these so-called non-racist countries have simply suppressed minorities to the point they don't have a voice and we can't hear any of their complaints. Most of these countries are over 90% white and have no black or brown people in real positions of power and/or wealth.

Many of them have very little diversity and less opportunity for cultures to clash as the dominant group experiences that change

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No need for the racist approach, but isnt the general population in BC angered by the amount of housing bought up by non resident Chinese nationals?

There is something simmering there.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please, give me a hypothetical. Like, you seem to think a law like this is not good to have, and I want to understand why.

First off: the woman clearly wasn't insulted based on her gender. Come on now.
Anyway, basically, it all boils down to "I think it should be allowed to insult people based on race, nationality, religion or gender identity"? I'm not saying you'd do that, I just don't see how that's a right people should necessarily have.
I feel that speech doesn't need to be without limits. I don't mind being legally unable to tell someone he's an n-word, or deny the holocaust, or call a man "woman" because he's transgender. Nothing bad about outlawing this kind of hateful stuff.
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree or else we're just going in circles. Any hypothetical I give will be like the example of the woman in the video. You think what she did should be considered a crime, and I don't. I don't think insults and shitty opinions on their own should be legally punishable. If she were making threats of violence, then I do think the police should get involved.

It's great that people like this are being filmed and exposed nowadays, though. I had to deal with some public racists like that in the '90s (and including in Richmond BC, too).

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree or else we're just going in circles. Any hypothetical I give will be like the example of the woman in the video. You think what she did should be considered a crime, and I don't. I don't think insults and shitty opinions on their own should be legally punishable. If she were making threats of violence, then I do think the police should get involved.

It's great that people like this are being filmed and exposed nowadays, though. I had to deal with some public racists like that in the '90s (and including in Richmond BC, too).
These insults are used as a tool to dehumanize and oppress. Words harm people.
Making laws against them can help to prevent that harm.
It feels like there is no real reason to not have these laws, while there are reasons to have them. That's why I don't get your position. In my opinion, freedom to hurt people shouldn't be valued, if it adds nothing positive. I was hoping you maybe saw some value in that freedom that I had missed, but it seems like this boils down to the idea that personal freedom should be more important than personal wellbeing.
I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but that's what it sounds like to me

Yeeeeeeeeeer

Oct 25, 2017
west coast
I wouldn't be surprised if the housing situation in BC is making racial tensions worse over there. Last time I was in Vancouver, I got the sense some locals did not want me and my wife there. Bit of resentment hiding behind wispy smiles. Of course their tone changes once they realize we're Korean/Taiwanese-Americans