• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
edition.cnn.com

GNC files for bankruptcy and will close up to 1,200 stores

GNC has filed for bankruptcy, warning it will close up to a quarter of its stores and search for a buyer.

GNC has filed for bankruptcy, warning it will close up to a quarter of its stores and search for a buyer.

The 85-year-old vitamin and dietary supplement company has been saddled with nearly $1 billion of debt and has faced declining sales at its brick-and-mortar locations since before the pandemic. However, GNC said that stay-at-home orders during the Covid-19 pandemic prevented the company from accomplishing its refinancing plans because of the abrupt "dramatic negative impact" on its business.

GNC will continue operating, but it will become a smaller company. It plans to close up to 20% of its 5,800 retail stores, which amounts to as many as 1,200 locations across the United States. GNC also sells its products in an additional 1,200 Rite Aid (RAD) stores.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The snake oil market past them by. It's all about crystals and essential oils now.

Did get a great deal on whey from them last year though.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how LIDS is doing, like specialized cable channels or weird print magazines ("Female Diabetes Today"), I have no clue how they survive.

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
Good, screw GNC. All they sold was snake oil and marked up protein powder. They were the GameStop of nutrition/supplements.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
GNC is awful. The markup for their products was INSANE. I hated going in there. So many other better options. Feel for people that lost their jobs, though.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
I know the pandemic has been extremely damaging to retail, but I'm curious if they have been asset stripped by one of those asset management companies which extract short-term profits for their shareholders. After having read that story about other retailers multiple times, I have no faith that this bankruptcy is *just* due to crisis or whatever.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Almost all of these chains that go bankrupt had been bought by private equity firms and took on a bunch of debt. Basically they had enough profit to fight Amazon, or service debt, but not both.

] GNC was taken private and sold to Thomas H. Lee Partners a PE investment/management fund in the late 1980s. Thomas Lee ran GNC and took it public prior to selling the company to Royal Dutch Numico and Numico acquired GNC in 1999;[9] it sold GNC to Apollo Management in 2003.[10] Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan and Ares Management bought GNC in 2007.[11] GNC went public in 2011

GNC (store) - Wikipedia

Roberto Duran

Oct 25, 2017
They had a lot of stores from what I remember being back in the states. GNC and Bath and Body Works seem to be the only stores in dead malls, they liked to play on hard mode it seemed.

Nov 13, 2017
I feel bad for the employees. GNC however had the most un-competitive pricing (everything significantly cheaper on Amazon) and their sales associates are uncomfortably pushy.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Have a buddy who works for them at their corporate headquarters... Already wished him luck.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I wonder how LIDS is doing, like specialized cable channels or weird print magazines ("Female Diabetes Today"), I have no clue how they survive.

LIDS severely downsized their headquarters a year ago and moved to a much smaller office foot print so things already weren't great for them.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I used to get protein powder from them. They were ridiculous with the upselling. Was I alone in noticing this?