• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Labyrinthe

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
Literally loads in half a second for me. What kind of OS/browser/specs combo are you using that takes 8s to load GMail?

Is it really that fast? When i check in Firefox it says gmail loads in around 5 secs but in reality i takes almost 40 secs to finish the loading and api calls.

Z0CpMY5.png

Era for comparison:

STait7Q.png

Last edited:

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not exactly the solution but I highly recommend turning off smart settings & personalisation, it loses a lot of the crappy overhead, but you may need to reteach it how to filter content if that's your jam.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
well thats certainly a take. loads in 1.5 secs for me using chrome and pretty much instantly on my phone 🤷‍♂️

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it really that fast? When i check in Firefox it says gmail loads in around 5 secs but in reality i takes almost 40 secs to finish the loading and api calls.

Z0CpMY5.png

Era for comparison:

STait7Q.png
I mean yah, GMail is loading a bunch more content in the background than ERA is, but the page is immediately responsive after the largest contentful paint. It's expected that more would continue to load asynchronously in the background, and does not impact the UX.

For me, the time until LCP is ~2.3s, which is when the GMail logo loads in the top left corner, and a pretty god indicator of when the rest of the page is loaded, as well (I think it actually is loaded/interactive a few hundred ms sooner):

xv56HvP.png

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
2014 macbook air with Firefox as my main browser.
It's the firefox. I always have two different browsers open (one on each screen, for differing purposes), and the firefox one is always way slow with opening the gmail web client. I've used chrome, vivaldi, opera, and now trying out edge, and they've all loaded it up super fast. But my firefox one (which is the constant while the other browser is to try out different new browsers lol idk it's just fun) has always been way slower. Once it's open, it works fine for the most part, but yeah, it's definitely way slower.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I've noticed sluggishness on my Windows 10 PC (Firefox, whatever the most recent stable build is, this has been consistent going back) going back some years. I think it's just Firefox though because when I use Chromium Edge to access it on my work PC it's fine.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Zero issues with it. Loads fast and gets the job done without a bunch of nonsense. I cant say I have any idea what you mean man.

Dec 4, 2017
I use it on firefox and it's pretty snappy. It lacks some stuff (like mark all read inside a custom folder), but otherwise it's good.

survivor

Oct 25, 2017
Loading the main Gmail page has always been slow but that's the reality of web apps these days. Luckily I don't rely on it a lot so I don't mind it as much to change providers.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to figure this out for a while.

It doesn't matter what browser, PC, mobile device, or network I'm on.

The initial Gmail load will take ~10-15 seconds. Once loaded in, everything is nigh-instantaneous. I'm wondering if it can be something account specific, but I'm not sure what setting could cause such a thing.